• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
How words work depending on the language.

Was watching yesterday Castle in the Sky, and a particular place was called Laputa.
Needless to say, saying that in Spanish sounds so weird.

Yup. Pretty much every swedish childrens book ends with the word "slut."

I am aware that kike can be used as a disgusting slur against jewish people, but it's terribly ethnocentric to not understand that the world is a big place and that words can have other meanings in other cultures and languages. Not accepting that mostly reflect poorly on yourself.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Kike, much like n word is incredibly offensive and not just in America. The user shouldn't have banned considering the context and the nickname should have been changed instead, but insensitivity of people on this supposedly progressive board to the fact that Jewish people find this offensive is incredible and borders on anti-semitism.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No spanish speakers would be happy playing with a maricon gamertag even though that means nothing in english.
its not cultural oppression to block certain words at things like an account creation stage.

Note I am in no way absolving sony of any responsibility for not blocking this at account creation and bypassing this, or or not having namechange functionality which also bypasses this.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Update from the guy, looks like he may be making progress with Sony -

"EDIT 6: sorry for all the edits, I got off the phone with a supervisor I talked to who speaks Spanish and he said he's going to escalate the issue and gave me number. That they would call me back. I was also told that the incident was covered in this article!" (https://www.altchar.com/games-news/582270/sony-issues-a-controversial-ban-for-offensive-psn-id)

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/9zaddy/sony_banned_me_for_a_common_nickname_in_my_culture/

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Kike, much like n word is incredibly offensive and not just in America. The user shouldn't have banned considering the context and the nickname should have been changed instead, but insensitivity of people on this supposedly progressive board to the fact that Jewish people find this offensive is incredible and borders on anti-semitism.

Borders? Lol

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. Pretty much every swedish childrens book ends with the word "slut."

I am aware that kike can be used as a disgusting slur against jewish people, but it's terribly ethnocentric to not understand that the world is a big place and that words can have other meanings in other cultures and languages. Not accepting that mostly reflect poorly on yourself.
Some people challenged that they are most people using it as a slur than Enrique's in South America and Spain combined.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
You guys know the french name Kiké.

xVPSou1.jpg

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How words work depending on the language.

Was watching yesterday Castle in the Sky, and a particular place was called Laputa.
Needless to say, saying that in Spanish sounds so weird, especially since if you remove la, it becomes an offensive term. I wonder if they ever replaced that word in a Spanish dub.

There were two dubs. In the second one it was renamed to Lapuntú

It sounded weird as fuck

Is "gordo" used by alt right and neo Nazis to espouse the extinction of fat people? Cause if it is, they should, yeah.

Is used by all right, left, nazis, muslims, best and worst people in the world to shame and bully fat people, in lots of cases with deadly results.

It's a slur in any case.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
But you don't understand. What is important is whether or not it is offensive to the glorious UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, aka the center of the world and the universe. Every decision every person in the world makes should be based on whether the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA would find it acceptable or not. If it's not acceptable for people in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA then fuck you go away and never come back. Who cares if it's offensive in India tho lol fucking irrelevant country they are not the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Anyway sorry about your loss lol sorry that's what you get for not having the opinion of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA constantly on the back of your mind lol fucking mexicans thinking they can make decisions based on their own culture haha lmao pathetic

I will say this once: Everyone who thinks the user here is wrong or at fault is being racist. Sorry if you don't like hearing that, but it's the truth. :^)

I do think this could be ethnocentrism but Sony does have to be culturally sensitive . I think going forward Sony needs to stop being so Americanized but at the same time block certain usernames from being spelled a certain way to avoid offending different cultures across the board not just those who only offend a certain group of people.

Blocking you from games that has been purchased is BS

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
I'm quite mad some people here are like "fuck your feeling, Jews - we want to use this very specific nickname, even though it's a well recognized racial slur all over the internet" and then calling us insensitive and that we need to understand multi-culturalism. It's not like the word means dick it Bobb or something harmless - it's a very hateful racial slur and I think it's very understandable that Jewish people would never, ever want to encounter that word. Sorry for that Enriques, but I guess you'll just have to go with Queque or something online, very sorry for your great loss.

To make it clear: I'm not American. This is not an American slur.

It is not a slur. That spelling is an offensive slur in English, yes, but in this case, it is a person's (nick)name in Spanish. Yes, context does matter.

And for anyone to tell someone that his/her own name is offensive just because it's spelled the same as a slur in your language/culture is quite honestly just straight up racist. How would you like it if someone told you not to use your own name?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The number of people who're like "what's this thing about kike being a slur, I've never heard of that, so you should just shut up" would be fuckin' astonishing if it wasn't entirely expected. It's not just an American slur, the world is a big place, and sometimes stuff that's just fine and dandy where you are is sensitive somewhere else. Because everything's interconnected, just respect other people's boundaries when you find out about them. This guy shouldn't have lost his account over it, but changing the name so that it's no longer entirely identical in appearance to a common anti-Semitic slur is not even sort of unreasonable.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
No spanish speakers would be happy playing with a maricon gamertag even though that means nothing in english.
its not cultural oppression to block certain words at things like an account creation stage.

Note I am in no way absolving sony of any responsibility for not blocking this at account creation and bypassing this, or or not having namechange functionality which also bypasses this.
Does Maricon mean a thing in another language? Is it a diminutive for a name? No? Oh, then what you're saying makes 0 fucking sense.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017

"EDIT 6: sorry for all the edits, I got off the phone with a supervisor I talked to who speaks Spanish and he said he's going to escalate the issue and gave me number. That they would call me back. I was also told that the incident was covered in this article!" (https://www.altchar.com/games-news/582270/sony-issues-a-controversial-ban-for-offensive-psn-id)

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/9zaddy/sony_banned_me_for_a_common_nickname_in_my_culture/

Who new? it took a guy who spoke spanish to understand the issue? Future of gamers is bleak for non English Speaker countries.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Look at the OP screeshot. Not the quoted one. I assume that the screenshot posted in Reddit. It has a clear approximation to "[email protected]". It is pretty clear. So much denial, now I'm wondering.

Even if it were an "n" what the fuck does that prove? There are a gazillion possibilities other than "penanieto" that could make up the rest of his email. He could also have the same name as the Mexican president.

The idea that costumer service shouldn't take a customer seriously because their email address is similar to a politician's name is about as stupid as the idea that someone should be banned without warning because there name is offensive when pronounced in a different language.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I do think this could be ethnocentrism but Sony does have to be culturally sensitive . I think going forward Sony needs to stop being so Americanized but at the same time block certain usernames from being spelled a certain way to avoid offending different cultures across the board not just those who only offend a group of people.

Blocking you from games that a person has purchased is BS
Again, it's not an American slur. It is offensive in other English speaking cultures and understood I am sure by large swaths in Europe.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The story blowing up will be in his favor at least. This will end with a relatively happy ending where he gets a name change and can keep playing. At least I would think that's the way it normally ends, but with Playstation support you never know.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe they can just wipe away ALL your games when banned like this. It's theft, I don't give a shit what terms of use states.

Does anyone else do this garbage or is it just Sony?

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
It is not a slur. That spelling is an offensive slur in English, yes, but in this case, it is a person's (nick)name in Spanish. Yes, context does matter.

And for anyone to tell someone that his/her own name is offensive just because it's spelled the same as a slur in your language/culture is quite honestly just straight up racist. How would you like it if someone told you not to use your own name?
If my name was a racially charged word for that person? I would use another nickname around him and I would understand not being able to register under that name on global services. You know, cause I understand seeingseeing ra charged language can be very hard.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe they can just wipe away ALL your games when banned like this. It's theft, I don't give a shit what terms of use states.

Does anyone else do this garbage or is it just Sony?
AFAIK every other service on the face of the earth will just make you change your name for something like this, unless you've got a history of behavior to go along with it. No sign of that, so it seems Sony's the odd man out here.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
A Filipina coworker offered me Puto the other day, and I must say, it was delicious.

We had a nice laugh of how in my language it has very negative connotations against the LGBTQ+ community, but in the Philippines it's a dessert. I didn't try to police her language either, because who am I to do that?

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom

I don't think it's straight up racist, but it's really really ignorant and I honestly can't believe that some people here feel that way.

Oct 27, 2017
My name is also Enrique, and whenever someone calls me that nickname, they spell it Quique. Never knew about that spelling. Weird.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
First time I heard someone say Kike (the slur) I thought they were saying "kite" which had me confused.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017

To be fair now that the guy knows, he's all in for changing his username:
onesolipsistic said: Not that it matters, but kike also means vagina in the Philippines.
Kikep0912 said: Jesus Christ from now on any username I want I'm googling the words to make sure it doesn't have a different meaning. What a world. Only shows how diverse this world is

He seems to put it as being open-minded about other possibilities.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
What a messed CS and online structure they have.
The least they could do is let him transfer his purchases into another new account.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
So if there was - say - a small town in hampshire called maricon and people from there wanted to use it as their sigin in, thats all okay? Because its innocent in english?
If it's moderated accordingly, sure. But, there's a difference between your strawman and real people called Enrique.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
Kike is a very common nick name in spanish language.

Well it's the society we created.

He should change his name in real life too, in case he could offense more people.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
A Filipina coworker offered me Puto the other day, and I must say, it was delicious.

We had a nice laugh of how in my language it has very negative connotations against the LGBTQ+ community, but in the Philippines it's a dessert. I didn't try to police her language either, because who am I to do that?
It's almost like we should respect other cultures interpretations of vocal sounds and not declare ourselves the undisputed masters of "the way it should be".

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Yeah, this is not a Zwarte Piet situation where something obviously racist or discriminatory is happening and they're too stubborn to change it, the guy's name, which is also a very common name in Spanish speaking countries, just happens to be spelled like a slur. It's not even pronounced the same way.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I understand why they would ban him but ASAP he should be allowed a name change. The sooner that feature launches the better.

There are so many cases where this can happen. Imagine you came from the country "Niger". Does that mean you can't create a psn with your countries name in it?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If my name was a racially charged word for that person? I would use another nickname around him and I would understand not being able to register under that name on global services. You know, cause I understand seeingseeing ra charged language can be very hard.
Yeap, and yet we have a failure to understand something simple like that.

He should have been giving an option to change his PSN name though instead of outright ban considering the context and if there wasn't a history of bad behavior.

MS will do the name change vs the ban, for example. Anyone remember Faintcolt saga from the old board?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Do you really not see the distinction between an in-person conversation with someone you know and running into internet randos on a gaming platform?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is full of off site sleuthing, inflammatory false equivalences, and troll posts. It doesn't seem like it would recover so we're keeping it closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.