• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last weekend, Hollie Mengert woke up to an email pointing her to a Reddit thread, the first of several messages from friends and fans, informing the Los Angeles-based illustrator and character designer that she was now an AI model.

The day before, a Redditor named MysteryInc152 posted on the Stable Diffusion subreddit, "2D illustration Styles are scarce on Stable Diffusion, so I created a DreamBooth model inspired by Hollie Mengert's work."

Using 32 of her illustrations, MysteryInc152 fine-tuned Stable Diffusion to recreate Hollie Mengert's style. He then released the checkpoint under an open license for anyone to use. The model uses her name as the identifier for prompts: "illustration of a princess in the forest, holliemengert artstyle," for example.
The post sparked a debate in the comments about the ethics of fine-tuning an AI on the work of a specific living artist, even as new fine-tuned models are posted daily. The most-upvoted comment asked, "Whether it's legal or not, how do you think this artist feels now that thousands of people can now copy her style of works almost exactly?"
I talked to Hollie Mengert about her experience last week. "My initial reaction was that it felt invasive that my name was on this tool, I didn't know anything about it and wasn't asked about it," she said. "If I had been asked if they could do this, I wouldn't have said yes."

She couldn't have granted permission to use all the images, even if she wanted to. "I noticed a lot of images that were fed to the AI were things that I did for clients like Disney and Penguin Random House. They paid me to make those images for them and they now own those images. I never post those images without their permission, and nobody else should be able to use them without their permission either. So even if he had asked me and said, can I use these? I couldn't have told him yes to those."
I reached out to MysteryInc152 on Reddit to see if they'd be willing to talk about their work, and we set up a call. [. . .]

Reading the Reddit thread, his stance on the ethics seemed to border on fatalism: the technology is inevitable, everyone using it is equally culpable, and any moral line is completely arbitrary. In the Reddit thread, he debated with those pointing out a difference between using Stable Diffusion as-is and fine-tuning an AI on a single living artist:

"There is no argument based on morality. That's just an arbitrary line drawn on the sand. I don't really care if you think this is right or wrong. You either use Stable Diffusion and contribute to the destruction of the current industry or you don't. People who think they can use [Stable Diffusion] but are the 'good guys' because of some funny imaginary line they've drawn are deceiving themselves. There is no functional difference."

More at:
waxy.org

Invasive Diffusion: How one unwilling illustrator found herself turned into an AI model - Waxy.org

How does it feel to be turned into an AI image model? To find out, I opened a door to the multiverse and interviewed the creator and unwilling subject of a controversial DreamBooth model.

Thoughts?

May 21, 2018
"There is no argument based on morality. That's just an arbitrary line drawn on the sand. I don't really care if you think this is right or wrong. You either use Stable Diffusion and contribute to the destruction of the current industry or you don't. People who think they can use [Stable Diffusion] but are the 'good guys' because of some funny imaginary line they've drawn are deceiving themselves. There is no functional difference."

What an edgelord.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
It's incredibly fucked up and will continue to increase the exploitation of those in creative fields.

Why would I pay you to draw this when for significantly less, I can use an A.I. to make an extremely convincing counterfeit?

Just like I feel that there needs to be a federally-imposed limit on the amount of automation can replace labor-based jobs (the best solution would be UBI, I know), there need to be stronger protections over workers within the arts.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as someone who HAS made AI art - my profile picture is a piece I made - I feel like building an AI specifically to ape one singular artist's style in particular is a bridge too far. That feels weirdly predatory on a level even I'm not okay with.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
There's going to be a legal backlash to these AI programs soon IMO. All it'll take is one artist or company with enough clout and resources to fight back and it's going to get very messy.

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
While the reddit user is indeed an asshole, if there isn't a legal boundary this is really going to become par the course soon. I just don't see how it doesnt.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
There's going to be a legal backlash to these AI programs soon IMO. All it'll take is one artist or company with enough clout and resources to fight back and it's going to get very messy.

Until then, its open season on any up and coming artists trying to make a living through their craft. Because for damn sure the music industry did it...to an extreme unfortunately.

Owl

Oct 25, 2017
California
It's incredibly fucked up and will continue to increase the exploitation of those in creative fields.

Why would I pay you to draw this when for significantly less, I can use an A.I. to make an extremely convincing counterfeit?

Just like I feel that there needs to be a federally-imposed limit on the amount of automation can replace labor-based jobs (the best solution would be UBI, I know), there need to be stronger protections over workers within the arts.
Don't think there is a solution in trying to limit automation. Long term, UBI will just need to be implemented

The solution for this case though is that AI trained on art should need permission to use that art for training models. The way it works now is just straight copyright theft

Unfortunately the software is already out there so I dunno how much can be done now

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Like 2-3 months ago people were like
"It will take years to actually not look like uncanny valley" and it just took months:

me_dreambooth_generations.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think there is a solution in trying to limit automation

The solution for this case though is that AI trained on real art should need permission to use that art for training models. The way it works now is just straight copyright theft

Unfortunately the software is already out there so I dunno how much can be done now

Exactly. If you can at least license an artist to use their work for training the AI, that's at least something. Pay the artist whose style you're cannibalizing. Give them royalties based on the money the AI model is bringing in, at least.

seems to be a trend that anyone doing this responds with total apathy

That's tech for you. Nobody actually cares about the long-term implications of the march of tech, they only care about continuing said march.

Morgenstern

Oct 28, 2017
Even if there was a legal precedent preventing AI emulation of artists' works in a given country, someone will just set up shop somewhere else and continue doing it. This sucks and I can't think of a good way artists can counter this

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine how enraging that must be as an artist. Fuck the reddit user and fuck these AI art programs.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Sounds to me like he is trying to make a point about the dangers of the tech.

Also, he sounds like an a-hole.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to the future I guess. How can you even stop this?

I'm not entirely sure it's even possible TO stop it. The problem with all these open-source models is that they basically rely entirely on the honor system. All it takes is one unethical prick to make a model like this and then once it spreads, it's too late to contain it.

Oct 30, 2017
"People who think they can use [Stable Diffusion] but are the 'good guys' because of some funny imaginary line they've drawn are deceiving themselves. There is no functional difference.""

I mean.... Yeah? Would the reaction have been the same had he not been explicit with the artist he were mimicking? The result is the same but this just "feels" worse.

Like this technology is robbing every house in a neighborhood, and he just robbed this house specifically because he liked the stuff inside. They're all getting robbed.

Sounds

Oct 27, 2017
I have no faith in any of this being resolved in the courts. It's gonna be a hellscape for the creative industry.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Full article is worth the read. The redditor seems to learn something then immediately dismiss it. Though the artist does make a good point that although it looks similar the touch of a human being vs AI is noticeably different, though it seems like it barely softened the blow.

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
The fact that he used copyrighted images form major companies is the part that's gonna fuck these things.

The copyright office already took back the copyright they gave to an Ai made comic. If that holds a Ai prompted work can't be copywritten then lol SD dies

Long term what's going to happen is lawsuits making it illegal to use copywritten work in models for profit without permission.

It obviously won't stop the open source models. But when they can't be used commercially a lot of the appeal goes out the window.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not entirely sure it's even possible TO stop it. The problem with all these open-source models is that they basically rely entirely on the honor system. All it takes is one unethical prick to make a model like this and then once it spreads, it's too late to contain it.

Kinda exactly. This is just how things will go since the only obstruction is "human decency" and I feel like laughing even typing that. Apathy is an easy solution for me but this kind of thing is going to be major. AI generation is only going to get "better".

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The difference between being a dick and not being a dick is just an arbitrary line in the sand, says internet edgelord #7473273629

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda exactly. This is just how things will go since the only obstruction is "human decency" and I feel like laughing even typing that. Apathy is an easy solution for me but this kind of thing is going to be major. AI generation is only going to get "better".

And the scary thing is that it's already really good if you have the time and patience to put effort into it. Like I've made some shit that's absolutely amazing-looking, but it's also specifically for my own personal use and I'm not interested in selling it. I just need it for visual inspiration for characters in my book while I look for real artists to commission to do more complex shit.

Once they get past certain elements that AI struggles with (hands especially, but also symmetrical eyes, and human figures holding things), it's going to be a terrifying shift for the industry. DeviantArt's daily feed is already like 60% AI art and the shift took a month and a half.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right or wrong, I'm pretty sure copyright law is in violation here, at least from a perspective of the moral rights of the author.

I don't think his position is correct in any way, but I do have to echo the fact that these are all fictions that humans believe in because they choose to, not because it's people's birthright to not have their artistic creations be used against their will.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that we are already to a point where it's borderline impossible to tell if something is computer generated or man made is frankly kind of terrifying.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that guy and fuck this entire field

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I think the ethical thing is to obtain the consent of the human author if they are still alive. I don't have a reasoned argument so maybe I'm wrong but It just feels like the right thing to do.

With that said, AI is still far from being good enough to actually compete with human artists without said human artists touching it up. I think it's like self-driving cars; we think we're close to solving it then 15 years later we realize it's way harder than we estimated.

My guess is AI will end up being a tool that artists use to save themselves some time or to get inspiration and nothing more for the foreseeable future.

99% of the prompt-generated AI drawings i've generated are severely flawed or outright garbage.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
I don't think this can be stopped, even if it is regulated it will only get easier to make your own "training sets"

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021

FNAiS2Z.png

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
it still looks like shit though?

It took 1000% less time to make that AI art than to draw it.
And it's still "good enough", which is basically good enough for most.

And yeah I can only see this getting overturned at ALL if the wrong toes get stepped on and start a huge court case. Not sure if an artist, but def AI musicians imitating an artist's sound I think will do it. ... But I don't know. This situation is sort of a disaster unless we truly are willing to appreciate the artist being in their art. Which... I'm not optimistic on.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Yah and this why I think any legal argument won't get too far. How can you prove a person didn't make the art?
The first time I truly got freaked out by AI advancement is when I saw AI generated human faces. With Deepfakes, AI generated voices and stuff like this I don't think people realize how easily this stuff can be used for nefarious purposes.

These models will probably kill a lot of commission art. Or it'll just be people using AI to massively undercut real artists.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think it's necessarily commission art that will suffer, it's more generic art (advertising, stock stuff etc) that will run into issues I think

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The only protection I can think of is for artists to sell exclusively physical art. Digital art is way too easy for jerks like this to rip off. It sucks though because we were in a golden age of artistic democracy with anyone able to create and share work with the world.

Oct 29, 2017
It is kind of a miracle that the peak of the NFT craze and the floodgates opening for AI art generation missed each other by like 5 months.

I just have to wonder what the uber litigious companies that like to copyright as much as it is legally possible in the art and design industry such a Pantone feel about this.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

First thing I thought of was the Inuyasha coin highlighted in Dan Olson's vid. "Oh yeah we didn't bother with the copyright but like....we can't undo it now. It's in the blockchain so it's set forever. So, like, just kinda have to suck it up and deal with it man." Just absolute dipshitery.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
man i wish i could make art that looks half as good as what you think is shit
I mean it looks "good" if you have no taste, I guess? Like there are basic visual errors in almost every single one of those images and I'm not even an artist.

Here's one thing I do know about AI art, though, and why I think commissions will be safe for the time being: it doesn't understand the concept of revisions yet. Once it does that, then we're all in trouble.