• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought this deserved its own thread... if only because it was the most upvoted post on r/battlefield today and the sub has been co-opted by neo nazis and alt rights for over two weeks now.. there were people who even gilded the dude for it.

EmBAj30.png

The post in question that so many redditors believed until a few guys searched the guy's reddit history and exposed him:

"These are people who are uneducated — they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game" - Patrick Söderlund, EA Chief Creative Officer
I have played Battlefield since BF1942, and I have studied World War 2 since I was 5 years old. I majored in Economics at UCLA with a minor in German Studies, with a heavy focus on the Second World War. To call me "uneducated" because I want a reasonablly authentic game is completely uncalled for. Women DID NOT serve for the Wehrmacht or the Waffen SS. I am by no means a sexist, but any quick search online of female roles during the Third Reich will reveal that Hitler's ambition for women was to reproduce as many children as possible, in order to create more "Aryan" people and keep the German military full of new soldiers. Having women on the frontlines was the LAST thing that Hitler and the Nazis wanted. You know what Patrick, maybe YOU are uneducated. Maybe you should do some research on WW2 and realize that the game you are creating is a joke. I call on all of you, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. We as a community should not be subjected to comments from EA degrading us as uneducated bigots, simply for wanting a game that feels like a World War 2 shooter. Disgusted.
EDIT: Yes, as many people have pointed out, I did lie about my background in this post. Please do not upvote. This post was an attempt to put pressure on EA and raise awareness to this issue. As those familiar with the Battlefront 2 subreddit will remember, significant pressure by the subreddit resulted in an EA Rep talking with the Reddit community about microtransactions. This communication resulted in heavy backlash on EA, and allowed for the company to temporarily disable microtransactions and mitigate the pay to win elements of the game. Unlike many people here have said, I do not believe Reddit is insignificant, and I do not believe that those who want a degree of historic authenticity are an extremely small minority. I believe if enough pressure is put on DICE and EA, they will create a setting that disables customization and allows for player models that look similar to Battlefield 1 (different silhouettes for each class, somewhat proper uniforms for each faction, correct helmets). I honestly believe that no one wants to take away someone's ability to choose what gender and race their soldier is. However, I also believe that this shouldn't take away someone's ability to choose to play the most accurate representation of World War 2 that the game offers. More choice is a good thing, and to want a historically presentable viewing experience should not be seen as "uneducated."

https://old.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/8qq9jw/calling_me_uneducated_is_the_last_straw/

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reads just like that closed thread where a guy posted a thread and video about how much of a history buff he was and that's the real reason he was so concerned.

Sounds like it's maybe a coordinated talking point in some armpit of the internet.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like come on "Studied WWII since 5" really? Although I don't doubt some kids are intrigued by WWII, I don't see something like that as common lol

Deleted member 15933

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately, this just means that future 'historians' on reddit will have 'only just signed up on reddit' without any posting history, just because they were THAT APPALLED by whatever recent non-issue.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
"It's about ethics in games journalism artistic integrity historical accuracy .. "

It never really is

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
So, your squad respawning on you, life regenerating, inhuman accuracy and mastery on ground AND vehicular combat are believable and realistic, but women are not.

OP
OP
Deleted member 11093

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like come on "Studied WWII since 5" really? Although I don't doubt some kids are intrigued by WWII, I don't see something like that as common lol
That's the part that shocked me... that he wrote that and people over at r/battlefield ate it up and upvoted it to oblivion and gave him gold for it.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Small brain: Lying about your background on your resume

Large brain: Lying about your background to seduce a girl

Galaxy brain: Lying about your background to try to rile up sexists so they harass a video game publisher until they get rid of female characters in their game

the parodies just write themselves

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
This post killed me.

"These are people who are uneducated — they don't understand that this is a plausible scenario, and listen: this is a game" - Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo CEO

I have played Mario since Super Mario 2, and I have studied the Mushroom Kingdom since I was 5 years old. I majored in Economics in Toad Town with a minor in Yoshi Studies, with a heavy focus on the Second Mario Party. To call me "uneducated" because I want a reasonablly authentic game is completely uncalled for. Goombas DO NOT get invited to the Mario Party. I am by no means a species-ist, but any quick search online of Goomba roles during the Third Mario Party will reveal that the Bowser's ambition for Goombas was to be jumped on, in order to create a high score and keep the Mario from touching the ground. Having Goombas in the party was the LAST thing that Bowser and Kamek wanted. You know what Miyamoto, maybe YOU are uneducated. Maybe you should do some research on Mario and realize that the game you are creating is a joke. I call on all of you, DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. We as a community should not be subjected to comments from Nintendo degrading us as uneducated bigots, simply for wanting a game that feels like a Mario Party. Disgusted.

Last edited:

shox

Oct 25, 2017
The reply there summed it up well. These guys are literally parodies of themselves - it's hilarious to witness. I cannot fathom getting so triggered over the inclusion of diversity in video games. It's a fantastic thing.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
"Hey! I'm 23 and am a senior at Univ. of Minnesota. Looking for a girl to enjoy the summer with, I want to have adventures in the cities as well as have casual sex. Send me a message if interested, thanks"

lol what the fuck is this