• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
There's a few differences here and there, but by the author's own admission, they brought over model and sound assets from the original game to ensure as close to the original vision as possible. Unfortunately, that also makes it even more likely that the game could be taken down.

They also wanted to recreate the opening and ending cutscenes, but found that the time required to do so would have taken too long for them. This is as far as they got before deciding to release the game without the Reedus reveal.

Still, possibly the most faithful recreation so far!

Happened to me as well, had to restart to get the picture frame to appear on the ground to properly get loop 2 to function.

Uh, the link says exactly the opposite of what you think it says. The author painstakingly recreated everything. It even says so in the main page of the game:

"
Unreal PT was under constant development over the course of 10 months, starting in April 2018 and ending in January 2019. Textures, models, animations, gameplay, and code have been recreated from scratch (more details on this in the development logs).
"

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yall are some punks. Play the damn thing in VR already.

Im not playing it because im busy right now...

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Textures, models, animations, gameplay, and code have been recreated from scratch (more details on this in the development logs).

It doesn't say anything about audio, though. And from having played it... it definitely does use audio from the original release. Most (if not all) of the pictures are from the original as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, the link says exactly the opposite of what you think it says. The author painstakingly recreated everything. It even says so in the main page of the game:

"
Unreal PT was under constant development over the course of 10 months, starting in April 2018 and ending in January 2019. Textures, models, animations, gameplay, and code have been recreated from scratch (more details on this in the development logs).
"

You might want to read it again!

Reused Assets from the Original Game
Although I did set out to make all the assets from scratch, I felt it would have taken away from the authenticity of the whole experience if I recreated some of the more iconic ones: Lisa, Norman, the baby, the radio, and the pictures in the picture frames. In addition to this I also had to reuse the original sounds because I don't know much about audio creation myself.

The author did reuse those exact assets from the game. The picture frames and audio clips are undeniably, 100% the originals.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I stared at her for a while, creeped out

then she took a step forward, and i closed the game

Yeah. I had to take a break from gaming after that.

Horror doesn't usually do much for me, but it's something else in gaming. I'd probably die if I played a horror game in VR.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I just played through the whole thing without VR. I'll try it in VR later, but that was pretty much perfect from what I could remember.

May 26, 2018
Extremely close simulation! Even has the lens warping effect that most people miss.

However, I think the player character is slightly too tall and it's freaking me out. I feel like a giant lol

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
There's some stuff missing (like the roaches that crawl by your face in the very intro) but this is damn awesome.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
PT is great, we put the game on after some weed brownies
had to look up a walkthrough on how to actually finish it

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing it now and I'm five loops in. Already gonna shit myself. I turned the corner... She's there man. I'm freakin out already haha

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks OP.

Not even home but couldn't resist. Downloaded to my phone.

My XBOX friend, IRL, called me a wimp and hes never played it lol. Hes going to love VR.

I should record his reaction.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The VR mode is sadly underwhelming, doesn't have proper distortion and has a fisheye lens effect when you turn your head. Using Vive. Also no way to reset orientation making this kind of a no go for seated play, as the camera is too low to see things like objects on desks to interact with, the baby etc. Also I can see Reedus' character model to my left lol, obvious issues with the camera placement there. Couldn't trigger past the second loop either :/

Hopefully someone will clean this up a bit for a proper working VR version.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
So is this the real deal? I still have PT downloaded on my PS4 but it's good to know there's something out there that will fill the void if that ever changes.

Apr 27, 2018
So is this the real deal? I still have PT downloaded on my PS4 but it's good to know there's something out there that will fill the void if that ever changes.
It's somewhat the real deal, with some animations missing and the final cutscene wasn't completed. It runs like a charm on my brother's gaming laptop with a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 DDR5.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's somewhat the real deal, with some animations missing and the final cutscene wasn't completed. It runs like a charm on my brother's gaming laptop with a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 DDR5.
So if someone never got the chance to play PT and only had this, would you consider it a worthy substitute?

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Konami better shut this down before those future Silent Hills themed pachinkon machines hit shelves.

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
Damn, that's no mean feat development wise. In the reddit comments he even says he made the VR stuff without a headset himself, having his buddy test everything and describing issues that he'd attempt to fix and have to get his buddy to download a new build and go again. He's not accepting donations either. What a guy.

So if someone never got the chance to play PT and only had this, would you consider it a worthy substitute?

What other options are there? Besides buying a PS4 with it on the HDD?

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
downloaded it, booted up my Vive, game auto-launched in VR mode when I clicked it, VERY well recreated (no room scale tho), got through second loop and noped the fuck out.
It performs surprisingly well in VR for a fan project. props to Radius Gordello for this impressive remake (which will probably be taken down soon so download while you still can.

Some personal context, I NEVER get scared of horror shit, like it honestly bores me or just annoys me, but never scares me. There have been only two instances where some form of media has managed to scare the shit out of me:
1. The Shining - The only horror movie that fucking scares the shit out of me, it freaks me the fuck out like no other. I recently rewatched alone in a dark room. mistakes were made.
2. PT - Horror games tend to thrive heavily of off shock value, but PT took all that and threw it out the window. It legitimately made you FEEL afraid, it fucked with your head. Every now and then I hear a voice in my head that randomly chimes "ah ah ah, don't touch that dial now...we're just getting started" ......................*shivers*

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
Game goes from very atmospheric and scary to bizarre (and arguably boring) in the later sections. I doubt most people will play the game long enough to reach those but in VR there is one section that will be very unpleasant for people that experience motionsickness!

talking about the sped up movement section

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Game goes from very atmospheric and scary to bizarre (and arguably boring) in the later sections. I doubt most people will play the game long enough to reach those but in VR there is one section that will be very unpleasant for people that experience motionsickness!

talking about the sped up movement section

That section was a nice change of pace (heh) for the experience because the game makes you think that the haunting is in full effect as you're going through it...but when you come out on the other side of it.......................................

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do think this will be forcibly removed soon, but as the original was also released for free and was only meant to be a teaser for a commercial product that was eventually cancelled... I'm not sure what the real legal ramifications could be here. The one thing I do know, however, is that it isn't *morally* wrong to play this.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I am not a fan of horror, but I downloaded it in case it gets taken down, for archival purposes.

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded and Oculus ready as I missed out on this last time around . Perhaps I should record myself playing - What could possibly go wrong?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I will suggest you guys to warm up with Resident Evil 7 VR before taking on this.

RE7 VR is a trip. It wasn't scary for me because id played the standard version and knew what to expect but I can see it being intense otherwise. I found the original scarier than PT just because ghosts dont do much for me while im legit scared of murderous, drugged up sociopaths (who cant be reasoned with) which do really exist, and RE7 knocked it out of the park in that regard.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

GN9Y.gif