• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Yesterday Arkane clarified that Red Fall story/mission progress is tied to host and character progress carries over. And this is just one of the latest games that continue this trend. On other big one that does this is Far Cry. And honestly this is BS and needs to stop. If you are making drop in/drop out coop game in year 2022 then story/mission progress needs to carry over. Look at the Saints Row, you can play any mission with a friend and if your friend is far ahead of you and you finish late game mission with your friend, when you reach that point on your save you can skip mission or replay it because it will be marked as finished.

By keeping progress tied to host in most cases you actually make people not want play it in coop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Someone out there prefers it this way. But who is that person? And why?

there must be a good reason for it from a dev standpoint. So add a poll, and I will vote to keep it as "host-only progress"

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah its fucking annoying. If the none host player carries on in their own game it should just ask if they want to skip a mission they have already done. This game design has ruled out a bunch of co-op games me and a friend want to do.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
It's like, I get the thinking behind why they do this but at the end of the day who cares. Just let people do what they want and play any level/mission whenever.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. Please.
Hate that shit.
I'd love it if it worked like that in Souls games as well...

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
Only reason I can think of is to try and encourage/force people to play through it multiple times.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
This completely killed any interest I had with the game.

Like, I was planning on playing with friends, but the reality is that we won't always be on at the same time, so hearing that I have to be constantly with the same host is killing my hype

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's borne of a desire for friends to buy the game and play it together as a "locked pair" so to speak. They really aren't designed for drop-in-drop-out co-op with strangers or different people, you're supposed to buy the game at launch with your buddy and both of you play through it together one time.

They think it'll increase sales if you HAVE to have a "buddy" to play the game with.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I know this is for an old game and in the reverse but COD: World at War would not save your progress if you played in coop first.
I beat the whole game in co-op and had to play the entire game again for SP. Was dumb.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I wonder how difficult it might be to incorporate a "match progression with host" toggle. I guess it would have some complications and consequences when it comes to things like item pickups (does only one player get them? Do both players get them?) or NPC interactions. I imagine there would also be consequences for certain events or interactions becoming unavailable in your game if your host skips them but otherwise advances the world state. There's also the question of how coop would work if you're in totally different parts of the game, say if your host is in level 5 and you are in Level 2. Would it allow them to summon you at all? Would it advance your game to Level 5?

I think I've talked myself out of it.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
This completely killed any interest I had with the game.

Like, I was planning on playing with friends, but the reality is that we won't always be on at the same time, so hearing that I have to be constantly with the same host is killing my hype
Honestly this for me as well.

I either need to accept this is as a solo game. Accept that my character will always have to play with my friend and we ony play together. Or have my friend accept that I'm always the host and never play with out them.

All those options are trash.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
For the few wondering, the main reason is simplicity and costs. It adds quite a lot of complexity to progress management to handle the player having completed later missions, not to mention QA to make sure nothing breaks in transition.

No excuse for big AAA coop-focused games though.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
When I had an interview with the Saints Row devs a month ago, this topic was brought up. So that game will let you play co-op even for creating your character. It has the standard full character progression you'd expect to carry over.

Difference is, when you go back and play your game, each mission will recognize if you've played it before, and give you the option to skip it or replay it. Not perfect, but a lot better than having to replay the entire experience.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
The Ascent did this and as soon as I found out I just dropped the game, couldn't be fucked not being able to do stuff alone and then come back to my friends save. I had 3.9 hours in it so couldn't refund. Sometimes, it just a really terrible idea.

Co-op games really need to put the effort into making it seamless, drop in/drop out, no alternate saves etc etc.
Some do it amazingly, some don't do it at all.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's borne of a desire for friends to buy the game and play it together as a "locked pair" so to speak. They really aren't designed for drop-in-drop-out co-op with strangers or different people, you're supposed to buy the game at launch with your buddy and both of you play through it together one time.

They think it'll increase sales if you HAVE to have a "buddy" to play the game with.
Who are these people out there with friends like that?

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I bounced back and forward with friends in Elden Ring and it was annoying but whatever. When we started Stranger of Paradise it was so much fun to be able to actually play the story together and progress at the same time. I have been looking up Nioh 2 stuff and it seems even better on that game and I really want to finally get around to it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Who are these people out there with friends like that?

I don't fucking know, none of my friends have time to play co-op anymore. I've tried for like two straight years during the pandemic and it never works out. We all just wind up playing games on our own and texting about them after the fact.

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
Dude, I was thinking this just now because I'm playing Far Cry 5 co-op and after 10 hours I just realize that only the host unlocks most of the progress, we are going to do 100% but now I'm bummed because of this. So I probably gonna have to use some trainer to keep up the progress.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'm grateful at least some games like Borderlands know better than to do this. If you're playing with a buddy from the start together, it really should check off that you're in the same spot story wise.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
All I got is that this is a technical issue at times for some games, and they didnt make it a priority to allow for This to be setup that way.
I would like to see more games that have Co-op actually take that into account. I mean hell take a page from Monster Hunter World. They got the co-op working perfect with your progress, only dumb thing was having to watch a cutscene separate lol

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I don't fucking know, none of my friends have time to play co-op anymore. I've tried for like two straight years during the pandemic and it never works out. We all just wind up playing games on our own and texting about them after the fact.

I've got the feeling that younger people all have large groups of friends that they can hit up at a moment's notice to play games with them.

Often when new co-op games come out and people ask about matchmaking, you'll see posts along the lines of "just play with your friends" like it's just taken for granted that that option is available to everyone. All of my friends have families, work and other responsibities that makes scheduling something like that an absolute nightmare. Might as well tell me to just herd cats or to just use a fork to drink my water. xD

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Easily the biggest negative of the game so far for me. Why would I want to play several hours of the campaign with my friends just to have to replay it again after we're done. It makes no sense.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks if you want to play through it with the same group of people. I'm turned off.

Streusel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Dec 28, 2017
i think being an open world game might make the implementation difficult.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I usually trust Arkane, and I'm going to wait to see how it comes out. I wonder if there's challenges with having these narrative/design-driven games that they insist Redfall still is despite being multiplayer, and having a sort of distributed progress system. I dunno, waiting to see how it plays out. Pretty much every time I've been skeptical of Arkane they've ended up impressing me with their design decisions (Dishonored 2 having two characters, Corvo speaking, rebooting Prey, Deathloop's design)... I think I've learned my lesson to wait to doubt them till actually trying it.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
It sucks because I might play sometimes with a friend but I'll probably play the most part solo and I didn't wanted to play for hours with him and have to replay again solo...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
i think being an open world game might make the implementation difficult.

I don't think it should be. Like if it's an open world game where the missions and collectibles are specific map points, just clear the points off of both players' maps when they complete the tasks. And if you do a mission you haven't unlocked yet in solo play, just put a marker on the co-op player's map so they know it's one they've already cleared.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Arkane addressed it in their IGN interview, they said the flow of the game as weird if all of a sudden you could skip story progression because you had done it in someone else's co-op game. Whether that's right or wrong that's what their opinion on it is.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
Yeah not a fan of this. Hard enough lining up specific times to play in the same timezone, but the majority of my gaming friends are in a timezone that differs by 8 hours. Makes it impossible to coordinate outside of weekends.

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
Played Elden Ring with 2 other friends, cleaning out dungeons 3 times, back to back to back. We just did it.

Didn't hear one complaint about this on that game.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If anything they need to go for the compromise route. Where it'll say something like "This player is ahead of you, so campaign progress will not be saved" while that isn't an issue if you're playing on the same exact missions.

Arkane addressed it in their IGN interview, they said the flow of the game as weird if all of a sudden you could skip story progression because you had done it in someone else's co-op game. Whether that's right or wrong that's what their opinion on it is.

Did they address if you play from a friend from the start? That's the aspect I find odd.
If me and a friend play day one and they host and we beat the game together but I want to go back to it. Feels odd I would have to then start from the beginning if there were things I wanted to do solo (Even if I thankfully keep my gear and such).

Like I couldn't imagine having to restart a playthrough of Borderlands because I wanted to do some endgame content solo after beating it in coop.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil

But I played that part with someone, why would it be considered that I "skipped" it? Weird.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
What are the technical limitations that prevent shared progress in coop games like this and Far Cry? I'd argue you that if you can't make progress sharable then your game should be single player only and designed around that.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of things which appear very easy to do in multiplayer are actually incredibly difficult to pull off.

That said, I don't know too well specifically what development of systems like these are looks. But they're probably not as easy as people think. The Saints Row team probably invested a massive, massive amount of resources to make their experience so seamless for non-hosts.

If all we're talking about is tracking mission progress, interesting and fair enough.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I was gonna play it alone anyway (none of my friends seem interested in it), but this sucks for people who were looking forward to co-op play.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's on GamePass, so I'll at least try it out, but man does this kill any hype and interest.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Did they address if you play from a friend from the start? That's the aspect I find odd.
If me and a friend play day one and they host and we beat the game together but I want to go back to it. Feels odd I would have to then start from the beginning if there were things I wanted to do solo (Even if I thankfully keep my gear and such).

Like I couldn't imagine having to restart a playthrough of Borderlands because I wanted to do some endgame content solo after beating it in coop.
No he didn't mention that at all. I feel like everything is just retroactive reasoning for cutting a feature that can be complex to implement and test.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't understand this decision ever.

If 4 of my friends all play the game from the start and then go our separate ways... we should have progress up until that point.

Dying light 2 killed me with this decision to play co-op with anyone. If my friend and I played 10 hours and I was host, that friend got no story progression at all and had to start from the beginning on his own machine.

Fine don't let me start a mission that is further along than where I am but anyone connected to my game should get progression if they are on the same mission.

Then when we complete the game it should give us no issue on missions/collectibles etc.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
If anything they need to go for the compromise route. Where it'll say something like "This player is ahead of you, so campaign progress will not be saved" while that isn't an issue if you're playing on the same exact missions.

No I don't think they specifically addressed that situation. I guess as long as the same host is always starting the game then it wouldn't matter because it is their progression? Your characters keep their upgrades.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Lately, I've been using the phrase "I'd like to see the marketing data that points that this is a good thing" because genuinely....

tenor.gif

Last edited:

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I can imagine it's a technical and logistical nightmare to pull off especially for narrative-driven games, but then again I rarely play coop games. Though this sucked badly in Dying Light 2, that's for sure.