• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The jumping through the door is made better with the fact that apparently they tried throwing a chair to the door beforehand, but a human body diving through it did the trick lmao.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I saw Spookies as a kid and just could not find the name of it when I thought of it later in life. The only things I remembered were the kid getting buried alive and the fart monsters. Thanks RLM!

It was a lot scarier in my memory though...

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh man, Mike's deep-seated hatred of Jeff He Who Lives At Home tickles me pink

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Can't remember the last time they had a multiple-film HitB and they loved both movies.

Great episode and both movies are indeed really fucking good.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta know, are doors in the United States legit this thin? Or is this just movie logic? My door is like 2 inches of solid wood.
The door he went through looks to be a regular a 2-panel door (could be 3 or 4 panels, the gif doesn't really show the lower part of the door, but the specifics don't really matter).

That kind of door is about 1.5 inches thick at the stiles and rails (aka the top, bottom, sides, and the piece running down the middle), and the panels are much thinner and weaker, maybe about a half an inch.

Jack Nicholson famously used an axe to get through one of the weaker panel sections on a similar door. I would say that the Shining scene was an entirely realistic depiction of the strength of that kind of door (although it would've been far more effective for him to kick the door near the knob, which can easily shatter the door jamb).

Going headfirst through the middle stile is about equivalent to trying to smash your head through a solid piece of 2x6 lumber.

There are some hollow-core doors in common use that are seriously flimsy enough for a headfirst dive like that to work, but this isn't that kind of door.

This is also an entirely realistic depiction of the strength of a hollow-core door.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I a weirdo for watching botws for films I havent and dont plan on seeing?

Fuck no! Look, what these guys watch are only called movies because technically they were published and on vhs / dvd / whatever, but they are not movies as any reasonable person would understand a watchable product.

Nobody should watch these things, that's the whole point of BotW!

However, if you meant Half in the Bag, then it's still not *that* weird because we all have only so much time and some movies just aren't interesting or the spoilers so 'whatever' that it doesn't matter. Like say, any Marvel or DC film.
I watched the entirety of their Paddleton review because it's a nice concept and apparently movie and all, but it's unlikely that I will ever watch it, and even then they didn't talk specifics of events so that's fine. 'Us' I had to stop at the spoiler section because I do want to see that 'unspoiled' (Peele's horror sensibilities are excellent, imo, so I want to see what he does with that), but had this been some generic horror movie like the Netflix crap movies ( "the boy" , "annabelle" , that stuff ) then I would have watched that too.

And with Re:View as well there are movies like Pink Flamingos that I'd never watch 'just like that' either.

Btw, well kept cultural secret of every high-brow society: everybody just reads the cliff notes, not the originals. Ain't nobody got time for everything.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I plan on seeing Us this weekend, so I stopped the review immediately after the spoiler flagged was raised. I also did not watch the Re-View on the new Susperia because I plan on watching that too... someday.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get to chime in on their last BotW even though I watched it the day of release.

I'm legit surprised they didn't make a Rem Lezar joke during Alien Private Eye. Some of them sounded like they were calling the character Rem Lo and the whole Quixotic Medallion Black Disk. I'm also kind of disappointed they didn't bring up that Lem Ro saying it was a drug made with from the 30th century makes no f'in sense because he's an alien not a time traveler. Also there's the fact that an alien might not even know who Hitler was, so he could be just stopping to stare at the picture because its a random weird picture of a guy with a weird mustache hanging high on the wall.

The new guy, vcr hipster in their older Hitb, was a lot better in this episode and I don't know if it was because he became more familiar with the production or because they weren't doing a lame black tape episode. I could see him returning more regularly as a way to also give one of them a break. Several of the jokes he made were pretty funny and the "They put Grim Reapers in there" still makes me laugh.

They didn't say it but they seemed to genuinely have fun with watching all three movies, which is a rarity on BotW. That's only seen sometimes with episodes like the one with Deadly Prey, Hot Ticket to Hawaii, and Miami Connection.

The episode was oddly comfy and it felt like there was a huge difference with the absence of Mike at the table to make Rich the butt of some joke.

LUST CRAZED MUCK MEN.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no! Look, what these guys watch are only called movies because technically they were published and on vhs / dvd / whatever, but they are not movies as any reasonable person would understand a watchable product.

Nobody should watch these things, that's the whole point of BotW!

However, if you meant Half in the Bag, then it's still not *that* weird because we all have only so much time and some movies just aren't interesting or the spoilers so 'whatever' that it doesn't matter. Like say, any Marvel or DC film.
I watched the entirety of their Paddleton review because it's a nice concept and apparently movie and all, but it's unlikely that I will ever watch it, and even then they didn't talk specifics of events so that's fine. 'Us' I had to stop at the spoiler section because I do want to see that 'unspoiled' (Peele's horror sensibilities are excellent, imo, so I want to see what he does with that), but had this been some generic horror movie like the Netflix crap movies ( "the boy" , "annabelle" , that stuff ) then I would have watched that too.

And with Re:View as well there are movies like Pink Flamingos that I'd never watch 'just like that' either.

Btw, well kept cultural secret of every high-brow society: everybody just reads the cliff notes, not the originals. Ain't nobody got time for everything.
shit I did mean hitb

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If I KNOW I want to see a movie, I'll usually skip the HITB until after I see it, unless it's a superhero movie since there's literally no point in trying to avoid spoilers for them anyway.

But I watch a lot of HITBs about movies I'll never see.

Yep, the only real exception is super hero stuff since I don't really care about spoilers for something like Captain Marvel or Dr Strange.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
On the plus side, it's fun to come back to a HitB that you skipped to see what you missed. I skipped the Star Trek:Beyond review (beyond the start to get their overall opinions), and came back to it when the movie came out on video. Only then did I see the hilarious and drawn out unboxing of the TNG board game.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
New video makes me so fucking happy. i haven't even watched it all yet but I praise the Rocketeer every chance I get and people always think I'm joking when I say it is my favorite comic book movie. But it is. By a large margin, and now i get to watch these two hacks discuss it.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Rocketeer is a good movie. I don't have quite the love for it as Mike and Rich but it's good. There idea about a Blacksploitation Rocketeer is way too out there for Hollywood nowadays.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want to watch their pitch of a slightly Blaxploitational Rocketeer sequel starring a young-Pam Grier-esque actress with a large afro because that sounded awesome.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Am I a weirdo for watching botws for films I havent and dont plan on seeing?

I always watch them for movies that I refuse to ever watch, but I usually don't watch the videos about movies I plan to see. I watched the Suspiria remake and The Predator ones because I had near-zero hype for those.
Some of my favorites are about movies that are on my firm never-watch list, like Batman V Superman: Dawn Of AIDS and Justice League.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I'm with Mike on the love for Rocketeer, I saw it in the theater when it came out in '91, a great primer for pulp adventure heroes. The clips (and the corresponding James Horner music cues) featured in this RE-View still give me chills. Wish they would have put the iconic art deco teaser poster in the back of this video:

220px-Rocketeermovieposter.jpg

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Rocketeer is a fantastic movie, have not seem it in a long while but so many of the scenes stand out in my mind and the re:view hit all of them.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think anyone is going to make a separate topic about RedLetterMedia spending so much time on their Rocketeer review trying to promote the idea of a black female-led Rocketeer sequel?