• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Skiptastic

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I get snapped, I hope someone keeps this thread in line.

EDIT: And I got snapped. So BEHAVE IN HERE.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with Mike on the love for Rocketeer, I saw it in the theater when it came out in '91, a great primer for pulp adventure heroes. The clips (and the corresponding James Horner music cues) featured in this RE-View still give me chills. Wish they would have put the iconic art deco teaser poster in the back of this video:

220px-Rocketeermovieposter.jpg

I have that poster framed on my wall.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing the Rocketeer. I remember the act of going to the theatre and seeing it with my family on summer vacation.

But I remember literally nothing about the movie. Which is amazing because Jennifer Connelly was apparently in it and my brain should have at least remembered that.

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird they mention Iron Man but don't mention Captain America considering it's directed by Joe Johnston and basically seems like a big homage to the Rocketeer.

Watched Us last so I can finally watch their review.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing the Rocketeer. I remember the act of going to the theatre and seeing it with my family on summer vacation.

But I remember literally nothing about the movie. Which is amazing because Jennifer Connelly was apparently in it and my brain should have at least remembered that.

Yeah I'm in the same boat, I remember that I watched it when I was a kid but don't remember anything about the movie besides what The Rocketeer looked like. I enjoyed the re:View, maybe I'll have to rewatch it sometime.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird they mention Iron Man but don't mention Captain America considering it's directed by Joe Johnston and basically seems like a big homage to the Rocketeer.

Watched Us last so I can finally watch their review.

Didn't they talk about the Rocketeer a lot in their HitB for Captain America?

I kind of forgot that there's a respectable Captain America (and had no idea that the director also did Rocketeer), so in my head I was thinking of Best of the Worst and this gem.

2L0uXLI.png

Got to admit, I would have preferred to find out that the Rocketeer faked illness multiple times to steal some poor bystander's car.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Mike and Rich made it through a 40 minute video of the Rocketeer without once mentioning that the star of the film was in a Star Trek episode, and was almost cast as Commander Riker...

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mike and Rich made it through a 40 minute video of the Rocketeer without once mentioning that the star of the film was in a Star Trek episode, and was almost cast as Commander Riker...
I did mean to ask that (as i haven't watched the episode) the other day. I'm quite surprised they (especially Mike) didn't.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
That big project was their VHS Collection.
Oh...

I appreciate that as going far for the sake of a joke but I couldn't have given less of a shit. Okay, [insert shrug gif here].

Also not to dredge up the Captain Marvel stuff again, but I've now seen the movie and finally watched their review and yeah, they just seemed a little butthurt about white dudes being called out, but also they were right about the movie. It's kinda blegh. As a script that needed to be made in the editing, it failed in the editing. The "Just a Girl" and "Come as You Are" drops were waaaay too on the nose and super lame and pandering. There's a better way to make this sort of movie.

I guess I'd say I'm interested in where Carol is going to fit into the movies from here on out as a sort of Superman figure since Evans and RDJ are stepping back, but this movie was kinda lame and didn't really land.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
the best part of Captain Marvel is that she wears a Nine Inch Nails shirt in it. That's the good shit right there. (I haven't seen the movie or their review.)

I'd guess the big project is a Star Wars Celebration parody/skit. That seems on brand and they made fun of it in the past.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the best part of Captain Marvel is that she wears a Nine Inch Nails shirt in it. That's the good shit right there. (I haven't seen the movie or their review.)

I'd guess the big project is a Star Wars Celebration parody/skit. That seems on brand and they made fun of it in the past.

She doesn't know what the shirt means. Moment ruined.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Shazam is a proper great film and easily the best DCEU film. Nice to see they both really enjoyed it. Similar to the two hack frauds I love how dark it got for a "kids film". It gets really fucked up at a few points and Mark Strong is clearly having a blast playing that bad guy.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Shazam is a proper great film and easily the best DCEU film. Nice to see they both really enjoyed it. Similar to the two hack frauds I love how dark it got for a "kids film". It gets really fucked up at a few points and Mark Strong is clearly having a blast playing that bad guy.
His performance (and his sunglasses) reminded me a bit of Alfred Molina in Spider-Man 2.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're being really transparent lately in these videos between the Last Jedi joke, the "it'll satisfy the Twitter mobs" comment surrounding one of the characters' sexuality, and the Captain Marvel review.

Anyway, I should see Shazam before Endgame comes out.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half of their humor on Best of the Worst is calling out or at least paying attention to problematic elements in these old movies which always strikes me weird whenever they crack about Twitter mobs and the etc.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
RLM is just recognising and joking about the current problems with online discourse and major budget films trying too hard using diversity as a marketing bullet point. The whole channel is just dumb comedy film analysis with an edge to it. I take issue with shows like South Park that bring up the same points only to go 'eh' about them with no attempt to make said issues better.

Edit: Also, Holdo is fucking awesome for her suicide manoeuvre. It's the best Star Wars moment in all the films for me.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
RLM is just recognising and joking about the current problems with online discourse and major budget films trying too hard using diversity as a marketing bullet point. The whole channel is just dumb comedy film analysis with an edge to it. I take issue with shows like South Park that bring up the same points only to go 'eh' about them with no attempt to make said issues better.
I think that's giving them a little too much credit. Though it's always fun when Mike lapses into grumpy middle aged white man mode and Jay immediately reins him back in.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Shazam, nothing amazing really but good enough.

It's so weird to see David Sanberg going from making a short to making Hollywood movies haha.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Why didn't someone tell me this was like a Raimi film? I'm seeing this immediately.
For the new page; the villain reminded me a lot of Alfred Molina in Spider-Man 2.

There's also a scene in a board room that reminded me of the hospital sequence from the same movie, in that I was immediately reminded "oh yeah, this director made horror movies before this."

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
For the new page; the villain reminded me a lot of Alfred Molina in Spider-Man 2.

There's also a scene in a board room that reminded me of the hospital sequence from the same movie, in that I was immediately reminded "oh yeah, this director made horror movies before this."
Just saw the movie and that scene stuck out at me. Of course he was a horror movie director. Charming film, too.