• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Man, Star Wars has no end of aliens and "aliens" (human actors with their skin coloured a weird way and shit attached to their heads) but one character with pink hair and internet people get all up in arms.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Star Wars has no end of aliens and "aliens" (human actors with their skin coloured a weird way and shit attached to their heads) but one character with pink hair and internet people get all up in arms.

Yeah, Mike and Jay's constant potshots at that kind of stuff is getting old. "Virtue Signalling" came up in the Shazam! review and I was like "Really?" We're going to (minorly) complain about diversity again?

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Mike and Jay's constant potshots at that kind of stuff is getting old. "Virtue Signalling" came up in the Shazam! review and I was like "Really?" We're going to (minorly) complain about diversity again?

I don't know how you misunderstand them. They aren't complaining about diversity, they are criticising how poorly the film did it. All the main cast are white guys and they use this group of minor characters only to to basically tick the "We're being diverse" checkbox.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how you misunderstand them. They aren't complaining about diversity, they are criticising how poorly the film did it. All the main cast are white guys and they use this group of minor characters only to to basically tick the "We're being diverse" checkbox.

I have a distinct feeling they wouldn't have brought it up at all had they all been cast as white kids. Especially with the use of terms like "Virtue signalling" and "woke" when talking about The Last Jedi again. They definitely didn't make the argument that one of the main kids should have been a minority.

I get that their cynicism is primarily based in that all these decisions are corporate thinking but they also have a pattern of complaining about stuff like this so they don't get the benefit of the doubt.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's possible sort of to overlook if it was a one off, but they have years and years of making really questionable comments about diversity and feminism. I mean there was that time a few years back where Rich Evans went on a tirade against the Women's March.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's possible sort of to overlook if it was a one off, but they have years and years of making really questionable comments about diversity and feminism. I mean there was that time a few years back where Rich Evans went on a tirade against the Women's March.

rich evans believes all problems are over and people are being treated equally, and everyone who points out otherwise are whining about it. there was a conversation in a let's play of friday the 13th (i think) with jack about wonder woman, and how rich thought it was dumb people thought the movie meant something to little girls and women because apparently sexism isn't a major underlying issue of society anymore or something.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I'm a big fan of RLM's content but I do have to acknowledge that their comments about diversity in movies do cross over to being ignorant sometimes. I still believe that there's no malice behind it, that the intent is to criticize Hollywood's tokenism on diversity, but they fail to recognize the importance that even those little amounts of diversity have for minorities and marginalized groups. For example, in Plinkett's TFA review Mike heavily criticizes Disney for not having a romance plot between Rey and Finn and then makes the claim that kids don't care about seeing people like themselves being represented on screen, which I strongly disagree with. In the Captain Marvel review I got the feeling that they thought Disney was purposefully trying to politicize the film while ignoring the fact that Brie Larson's words were undeniably true.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I think the only way I'll be able to go into Ep 9 and leave with my own opinion is if I do a full media/opinion/discussion blackout.

Over 8 months of (probably) negative hot takes and extreme conjecture will definitely taint my perception of however it turns out.

Oct 25, 2017
Me personally, I am mostly just disappointed that the Disney committee allowed JJ to do his hack thing and not stick with Johnson's clean-up of that horrendous joke that was TFA.

But it feels dishonest coming from RLM when they were (and are) some of the loudest and toxic responses to TLJ. This is what happens when you force the committee to go back to safe.

I really liked TLJ btw, and I don't understand why people like JJ Abrams movies at all. Television, sure, but his plot-for-plots-sake mystery box is not useful for movies. Oh well, we're back where the "fans" like RLM wanted to be.

Also, why didn't they review Bumblebee? It's fantastic.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I much preferred TFA to TLJ, but I don't really care enough about Star Wars anymore to care bout who Disney hires.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Solo. It was the only Disney SW movie (so far) that didn't try to copy OT in one way or the other.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
now that's a hot take; the only new SW that isn't like the originals is the only one starring a character from the originals
Characters have noting to do with this. The style, the cinematography, the overall vibe was more in line with Guardians of the Galaxy than any other SW movie. Solo is it's own thing, while rest of the Disney stuff tries their hardens to feel like the extention of the OT

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Solo. It was the only Disney SW movie (so far) that didn't try to copy OT in one way or the other.

I liked it too. The only parts I didn't like is that the instantly trashed the falcon so it looked like the OT bucket of bolts all in one action scene and of course the twist of the ending that had to squeeze in light sabers.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it too. The only parts I didn't like is that the instantly trashed the falcon so it looked like the OT bucket of bolts all in one action scene and of course the twist of the ending that had to squeeze in light sabers.
This is really an endemic problem of current Disney run. Everything needs to tie up to previous movies.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't this a problem with the prequels as well? Wouldn't that just make it a trope of the franchise in general since it's been part of it for the past 20 years?
Sure, it makes sense for main episodes (although 7 and 8 are aping OT to a fault, and it seems that 9 won't be different), but I see no reason why Rogue One ended up being 200 mln fanfilm. John Knoll's original pitch for RO was much closer to spy/heist flick, I really don't understand why they didn't went with that.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Tbh I usually don't even mind the "rhyming" so much when I feel like I can be invested in the characters.

I can excuse a lot of transgressions as long as the characters are well-written, well-acted, and have understandable motivations and conflicts. It's a big reason why I'm positive on TFA overall despite the valid "New Hope 2.0" criticism that it gets. The worst thing about that movie (which in turn is probably the worst thing about the sequel trilogy) is that the structure of the universe just doesn't make sense anymore. The fact that the relationship between the First Order and Resistance seems to be a carbon-copy of that between the original Empire vs Rebellion, now including the possible return(?) of Palpatine, is just... bad. It makes you wonder what, if anything, was actually accomplished in Return of the Jedi, and it just cheapens the whole series if the status quo is unshakable.

But I honestly didn't even have that on the forefront of my mind during the climax of TFA because all of the focus is on the personal drama and motivations between Rey, Finn, and Kylo. The movie was at least smart enough to emphasize that drama and push the starkiller base to the background as much as it could.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
The worst thing about that movie (which in turn is probably the worst thing about the sequel trilogy) is that the structure of the universe just doesn't make sense anymore. The fact that the relationship between the First Order and Resistance seems to be a carbon-copy of that between the original Empire vs Rebellion, now including the possible return(?) of Palpatine, is just... bad.
At this point I'm not even sure if it's fair to blame Abrams for that. I mean TLJ had many chances to shake up status quo, but instead it only cemented it, it seems like LucasFilm just won't let SW grow.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing that bugs me about modern Star Wars is how they constantly miss the point on the Millennium Falcon. It just seems blatantly obvious to me that the Falcon is, and always has been, "a hot rod".

It's like, if we look at George Lucas's pre-Star Wars film American Graffiti, it's set in 1962, and all the kids drive 1950's cars, but the "fastest car in the valley" was a 1932 Ford that was stripped down and modified to hell and back by it's mechanically-inclined teenage owner. There was nothing particularly magical about a 1932 Ford, it was a 30-year-old piece of junk by that point, but the idea behind hot rodding was that you should find the cheapest base with the most untapped potential, and then throw out the rulebook and put all of your money and your creative intellect into non-standard modifications that could somehow help this diamond-in-the-rough become more than it was ever meant to be. You don't buy the fastest car, you build your own fast car using whatever scrapyard materials you happen to have available.

Luke Skywalker sells his speeder, and he whines about how much it's value has depreciated since the newer model of speeder has come out. Then Luke sees Han's Millennium Falcon, and he disregards it as an "old piece of junk" because it's a much older and much less modern than anything that he's interested in. But Han is personally offended by that, because the Falcon is his hot rod. It might be old, but he put the work into turning this beat up old freighter into a speedster that can blow the doors off any modern craft that he's come across. Even if, you know, deep down it really is an old spacecraft, and many of it's original parts are prone to failure, and some of his new parts exceed what the old ship was designed to handle, and some of Han's modifications are tied together with duct tape. The Falcon is Han's pride and joy, because he pretty much built it (with an unclear level of contribution from Lando).

Solo was particularly egregious in "not getting it", from it's beginnings as Lando's expensive luxury smuggler's racing freighter, to it making the Kessel Run because a sentient freedom droid (and Lando's one true love) uploaded it's brain into the Falcon, which gave the Falcon the maps it needed to make the Kessel Run, to beating the shit out of the ship so that Luke can have an excuse for saying that it looks old, to the underwhelming offscreen story of Han winning it's broken remains off of Lando in a poker game.

I'd say the best example of "getting it" recently was The Force Awakens, where the Falcon's most recent owner essentially decided to make the Falcon faster by installing a turbocharger, and when Han saw that he basically said "What an idiot. You can't just make things faster by bolting turbochargers to them. The Falcon is already tweaked as far as it can possibly go, and all a turbocharger is going to do at this point is blow up the engines." And then, Rey proved herself worthy to inherit the Falcon by already knowing that, and knowing how to quickly and easily disable the misguided modification.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the best example of "getting it" recently was The Force Awakens, where the Falcon's most recent owner essentially decided to make the Falcon faster by installing a turbocharger, and when Han saw that he basically said "What an idiot. You can't just make things faster by bolting turbochargers to them. The Falcon is already tweaked as far as it can possibly go, and all a turbocharger is going to do at this point is blow up the engines." And then, Rey proved herself worthy to inherit the Falcon by already knowing that, and knowing how to quickly and easily disable the misguided modification.

Too bad JJ didn't use the Falcon before that moment with Rey. Instead, he went for the stupid "the garbage will do" intro. Imagine if she had been shown trading parts or sneaking around for a chance to work on the Falcon, quickly realizing that it is indeed a bit of a hot rod special ship while everyone else thinks it's just a junk spare freighter. "There's something about this ship..." You could even have the same escape sequence, except now it's recontextualized with Rey knowing the Falcon is special and their best bet to get away. That would be far more satisfying than what we ended up with. The entirely of TFA is full of similar missed opportunities.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Then Luke sees Han's Millennium Falcon, and he disregards it as an "old piece of junk" because it's a much older and much less modern than anything that he's interested in.

General Rieekan's apparent disdain/bemusement for the old bird came across perfectly in Rogue Squadron, too. "I don't know WHERE this ship came from..." lolz:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking of how I would picture the Millennium Falcon in a modern context, and with American Graffiti's "30 years old" hot rod example, and the Falcon's status as a "freighter", and one vehicle popped into my mind. A 1989 Ford Ranger.

Luke and Obi Wan need a ride across the Mexican border, so Obi Wan pulls out his smartphone and calls for an Uber. Han Solo shows up driving this.

That's why Luke takes one look at it and thinks it's a piece of junk. But Han notes with pride that Ford makes some really solid trucks, and it's not as if his truck is just a 1989 Ford Ranger. It doesn't look like much, but he's modded it extensively. It has smuggling compartments for hiding drugs and maybe people if you're really determined, and he put in a modified engine/transmission/shocks from a much larger vehicle, so it's fast enough that he's even outrun cops with it. And he's not just talking Mexican cops, but actual American police interceptors. If you wanna illegally cross the Mexican border, then you really can't do better than this truck. Sorry he never got around to painting it. Appearance wasn't very high on his list of priorities.

That's pretty much how I think the original trilogy looked at the Falcon.

"Solo", meanwhile (like much of modern Star Wars), seems to think that this is a supercar, worthy of worship.

But they had to trash it, so that it would match the one in A New Hope.

Looks about right.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
If Episode IX is as safe as people seem to want it to be (not even for their own enjoyment, more so that they can complain about it being safe), the HitB is gonna mainly be "this is lame, at least TLJ tried to do stuff," isn't it?

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched their Glass review after seeing the film. They liked that piece of shit? The whole thing looked cheap as hell, the camera work they lauded (especially all of the "talking directly to the camera" dialogue scenes) were awful, and the whole thing was a mess. Crazy.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the Rocketeer fans in this thread.

Reminder, the new cartoon (out this fall, apparently?) is being made for Disney Junior, so temper your expectations appropriately.

Nicole Dubuc, the apparent showrunner, has written for My Little Pony, Transformers Prime, and Star Wars Rebels, among quite a large number of other things.