• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
the disney de-aging cg has all led to this

young luke, leia and han travel forward through time to star in episodes 10-12

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I wasnt by any means denying that they some of them havent said shitty things before, but the extent of them is exaggerated and some are outright lies (folks keep bringing up how anti Trans they are and bring up Rich dressing up as a woman for a skit when he dressed up as the guy with sunglasses with the silly blonde wig).

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm down for time travel in Star Wars, just say "f*** it" and go 100% into OT nostalgia (they were 90% there already, what's another 10%?)
Doing something crazy like that is the only thing I can see being a big enough deal to turn this trilogy into something more than... whatever it is at the moment.

But would Disney allow two of their biggest Franchises to have a time travel based conclusion in the same year?

Totally see the emperor possessing Kylo, that makes a lot of sense.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I predict a thread on Ectetera once their review hits where folks are angry and ask why anybody still watches them
I like them but sometimes they say some sus stuff. I've yet to see a thread complaining about RLM on Era that was 100% baseless. How much benefit of the doubt you're willing to give them really boils down to how much you like the crew.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the youtube comments, I see that time travel was introduced in a recent Star Wars cartoon so I guess it isn't outside the realm of possibility.

However, there is something else Mike, and I think every involved in the movie, forgot which is the force vision Rey got when she held Luke/Anakin's lightsaber that made her feel like she was on Bespin for a brief second (and was really only a story contrivance for her to go DIRECTLY to the lightsaber). If they could expand on that and Rey/Kylo have to find certain force items to lead them on a hunt for something (like the animus in Assassin's Creed) they could do Mike horrible, but not too unlikely plot of "time travel."

I want to see Mike's evil Ewok story now, but I also want Imperial Guard Ewoks.
h6Z7cuQ.jpg

I also want the the Emperor to say "Leave Us" and the Ewoks hobble away.

Also an evil version to Yub Nub

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Watching this informed me that the writer for BvS is helping with this. I haven't kept up with Star Wars news since I didn't really like TLJ but I want to finish the trilogy. I probably shouldn't have watched this video because it just made me sad.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching this informed me that the writer for BvS is helping with this. I haven't kept up with Star Wars news since I didn't really like TLJ but I want to finish the trilogy. I probably shouldn't have watched this video because it just made me sad.
I should probably point out, Zack Snyder's terrible "Man of Steel" was written by David S. Goyer (writer of Christopher Nolan's multiple award winning Batman trilogy) and Christopher Nolan (who apparently pushed Zack Snyder on WB as "the next Nolan").

Meanwhile, Ben Affleck starred in and directed "Argo", a movie which won multiple Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Adapted Screenplay... and it's writer was a guy named Chris Terrio.

Ben Affleck then appeared as Batman in Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman (with many people citing Affleck's performance as the high point of the movie), and the movie was written by Chris Terrio and David S. Goyer. Affleck clearly demanded that his own writer should be brought in if he was going to appear in the movie. Chris Terrio did work on that mess of a movie, but blaming him for BvS seems about as fair as blaming Ben Affleck for it. Probably shouldn't blame David S. Goyer either, considering the guy wrote The Dark Knight. These people are obviously talented, it's just a trainwreck for some reason.

Justice League was written by Chris Terrio (because Ben Affleck) and Zack Snyder himself (no David S. Goyer this time), until Snyder was replaced by Joss Whedon, who turned the color levels up and tried to make the movie funnier through major reshoots that had jokes written by Whedon. Also CG mustache removal. And the big bad was changed because BvS's failure scared WB into cancelling the movie's sequel.

The DC movies have largely stopped being a mess since the Snyder era ended (Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam have all been at least watchable, and are building the new future where DC movies don't automatically suck). And Zack Snyder seems far more responsible for the mess than Chris Terrio. I don't think Chris Terrio working with JJ Abrams is anything that you need to be worrying about.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's a less than zero percent chance that shit happens. it's way too dumb and contrived, and there's no way that Abrams would go full 'fuck it' and fly in the face of Rian Johnson like that. i don't doubt that the end of the trilogy will backrack on TLJ's commitment to being weird, but full-on retconning that stuff to do Star Wars Things is a level of cynicism even i as someone who doesn't care about/kind of doesn't like SW shit have a hard time imagining

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, I saw an interview, or maybe it was some bits of interviews, or maybe it was just some fanboy conjecture, where they said that before they started on Episode 7, JJ Abrams had done his job properly and laid out a whole foundation for all three movies (which is unusual for JJ "Mystery Box" Abrams, who usually doesn't have an ending, and thinks the anticipation is better than the release), but then when Disney got Rian Johnson to direct Episode 8, they gave him permission to deviate from JJ's path as much as he wanted and make the movie really his own, so he upended several of JJ's plotlines with zero regard for what Episode 9 was going to do (because Episode 9 isn't Rian's problem, all he needed to do was make Episode 8 the movie he wanted).

And then JJ was brought back for Episode 9, and he said that his plan was to steer things back towards his original Episode 9 ideas. Like, Palpatine is presumably coming back because Snoke was JJ's no-brand Palpatine knockoff, but then Rian killed Snoke ahead of schedule, and JJ still needed Snoke for whatever JJ's purpose is, but if he's going to bring Snoke back to life, he could just as easily bring back the superior original. Rey had the thing about her parents, and Rian tossed that out the window, so JJ might just bring it back and say that Kylo Ren was lying. Kylo is symbolically fixing his helmet, because Rian got rid of it, while JJ presumably still needed it for something. If the Rebels need more than 25 people riding around in the Falcon, JJ will probably just pull some reinforcements out of his butt. If Luke needed to be around for the third movie, then yeah, JJ might bring him back as a Force Ghost or something. If Luke/Anakin's blue lightsaber was really important, and Rian carelessly exploded it, JJ could just have Rey "fix it" offscreen. It could be interesting to see JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson playing tug-of-war over the direction of the movies in this trilogy.

But then, JJ might have realized that pulling the trilogy back to his intended ending might be too difficult, so... "f*** it". Do something crazy. I'm all for that. It could be glorious. And if it crashes and burns, that's fine. I'm not so deeply invested in Star Wars that I need Star Wars movies to be good.

Edit: Maybe JJ saying "f*** it" means JJ tossing out the ideas for his original ending, and crafting a new ending that builds upon Rian's work.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
there's a less than zero percent chance that shit happens. it's way too dumb and contrived, and there's no way that Abrams would go full 'fuck it' and fly in the face of Rian Johnson like that. i don't doubt that the end of the trilogy will backrack on TLJ's commitment to being weird, but full-on retconning that stuff to do Star Wars Things is a level of cynicism even i as someone who doesn't care about/kind of doesn't like SW shit have a hard time imagining

Honestly, at this point I don't think that anything is off the table. I don't like Star Wars either but I can't deny the original trilogy's appeal and effect on generations of people. Nobody seems to care about the new trilogy beyond seeing familiar things, I highly doubt that people will be buying Kylo, Rey and Poe action figures in a few years.

This is why Mike's theory isn't totally crazy: Disney may be looking for a way to rewind the clock closer to the original trilogy timeline. Episode IX doing a Days of Future Past is unlikely but not totally out of the question.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
IIRC, I saw an interview, or maybe it was some bits of interviews, or maybe it was just some fanboy conjecture, where they said that before they started on Episode 7, JJ Abrams had done his job properly and laid out a whole foundation for all three movies (which is unusual for JJ "Mystery Box" Abrams, who usually doesn't have an ending, and thinks the anticipation is better than the release), but then when Disney got Rian Johnson to direct Episode 8, they gave him permission to deviate from JJ's path as much as he wanted and make the movie really his own, so he upended several of JJ's plotlines with zero regard for what Episode 9 was going to do (because Episode 9 isn't Rian's problem, all he needed to do was make Episode 8 the movie he wanted).

And then JJ was brought back for Episode 9, and he said that his plan was to steer things back towards his original Episode 9 ideas. Like, Palpatine is presumably coming back because Snoke was JJ's no-brand Palpatine knockoff, but then Rian killed Snoke ahead of schedule, and JJ still needed Snoke for whatever JJ's purpose is, but if he's going to bring Snoke back to life, he could just as easily bring back the superior original. Rey had the thing about her parents, and Rian tossed that out the window, so JJ might just bring it back and say that Kylo Ren was lying. Kylo is symbolically fixing his helmet, because Rian got rid of it, while JJ presumably still needed it for something. If the Rebels need more than 25 people riding around in the Falcon, JJ will probably just pull some reinforcements out of his butt. If Luke needed to be around for the third movie, then yeah, JJ might bring him back as a Force Ghost or something. If Luke/Anakin's blue lightsaber was really important, and Rian carelessly exploded it, JJ could just have Rey "fix it" offscreen. It could be interesting to see JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson playing tug-of-war over the direction of the movies in this trilogy.

But then, JJ might have realized that pulling the trilogy back to his intended ending might be too difficult, so... "f*** it". Do something crazy. I'm all for that. It could be glorious. And if it crashes and burns, that's fine. I'm not so deeply invested in Star Wars that I need Star Wars movies to be good.

Edit: Maybe JJ saying "f*** it" means JJ tossing out the ideas for his original ending, and crafting a new ending that builds upon Rian's work.

I sometimes think they are just internally playing daring games with each other:

"Can you write yourself out of this?"

"No problem, give me your best shot!"

And then nobody every questions the results as they are so high in rank that everyone fears for their jobs if they say something.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
"No ones ever REALLY gone"

Surely they arent dumb enough to do the time travel trope as a final thing for their ultimate Skywalker send-off movie?

Surely not?

Does this mean every future SW mainline movie will still somehow have The DeathStar and The Emperor and The Darth Vader in it?

Cant wait to see how they muck it up

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, at this point I don't think that anything is off the table. I don't like Star Wars either but I can't deny the original trilogy's appeal and effect on generations of people. Nobody seems to care about the new trilogy beyond seeing familiar things, I highly doubt that people will be buying Kylo, Rey and Poe action figures in a few years.

This is why Mike's theory isn't totally crazy: Disney may be looking for a way to rewind the clock closer to the original trilogy timeline. Episode IX doing a Days of Future Past is unlikely but not totally out of the question.
while i recognize the plausibility, i also totally reject it. this would be the thing that might turn me from 'i passively pay attention to this' to pure nerd outrage

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hell i'll avatar bet there won't be time travel in the new one if that's still a thing

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
hell i'll avatar bet there won't be time travel in the new one if that's still a thing

Man I don't know, I would never bet against Mike and Rich. They seem to have a deep understanding of Hollywood hack screenwriting. I wouldn't bet against them even if they predicted that Thanos would show up in Episode 9.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I don't know, I would never bet against Mike and Rich. They seem to have a deep understanding of Hollywood hack screenwriting. I wouldn't bet against them even if they predicted that Thanos would show up in Episode 9.
again, i refuse to believe it will get that terrible. i know this isn't part of the bet, but since you've quoted me, i'm issuing my own challenge; if there's any time travel bullshit in the new SW, i'll get Riker's beard tattooed onto my ballsack

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the leaks are to be believed. They're just using an old graphic novel as the main backbone of the story. 😞

Which i don't like. As it's just more reheated SW. I want new shit, not old shit. Ya know.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
since we're throwing batshit predictions around, let me present you one of my own:

Rey being so hung up on being nobody, she'll marry Dude Skywalker in the past and give birth to Shmee.

everything rhymes and all that jazz, you know?

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I want to see the satanic death cult Ewoks and I want to see the McDonalds happy meal that comes with them!

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
It's really sad how Lucas first and then Disney ruined SW... It's a meme at this point.

Especially if you think about the brilliant original trilogy which is full of amazing moments that will never be forgotten.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's really sad how Lucas first and then Disney ruined SW... It's a meme at this point.

Really sad if you think about the brilliant original trilogy which is full of amazing moments that will never be forgotten.

I wonder which series will be looked upon more favorably in ten or so years. The prequel trilogy or the new trilogy?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Time travel is in the books? Tbh that'd make me interested in Star Wars IX again. I've really disliked the last couple of SW films so I figured I'd just completely ignore IX, but I love a shlocky time travel story.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder which series will be looked upon more favorably in ten or so years. The prequel trilogy or the new trilogy?
The new one, but the prequels are more memorable and always will be... mostly because they are so bad and because of their time in history. I doubt there will be many discussions about the new trilogy at all, it will be overshadowed by whatever is out then, good or bad. Nobody really talks about TFA and TLJ is only relevant because of the controversies. When that finally dies down it will be forgotten.