RedLetterMedia |OT| Very Cruel.

BassForever

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
User Banned (3 Days): Use of derogatory term ("SJW") supporting inflammatory generalizations
I wanted to post this in the other thread, but it'll be drowned out by all the smugness going on.

I think people perceive era as some kind of pathway to eternal wokeness. a place we all try to reach. kind of like kingdom hearts.

but instead of working together to get to that place, we point fingers and accuse each other why we're not allowed to be there.

wouldn't it be better if we educate one another on why their jokes/opinions are problematic?
While most of the time it’s used by the alt-right to criticize anyone who remotely disagrees with them, I’ll admit the term “sjw” really does fit some people who are always pushing further and further left and if you aren’t close to their level you’re either a bigot or an enabler of bigotry. I find that level often pushes people who would otherwise be left of center closer to a centrist or right policy since they’re “always wrong”.

And no, this is not a hand wave of Rich’s horrible stream rant or some of the more questionable things RLM have said. The actual problematic content should be criticized as is, but it should not be an excuse to relitigate every piece of content they’ve ever put out to try and determine if the content was secretly bigoted in nature.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
Did anyone else get as irrationally angry as I did at that clip of JJ Abrams' son having his own Spider-Man comic? I'm sure I'm doing a lot of projecting here, but he had the confident air of someone that felt he deserved it and had earned his achievement through merit.

Lashley

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else get as irrationally angry as I did at that clip of JJ Abrams' son having his own Spider-Man comic? I'm sure I'm doing a lot of projecting here, but he had the confident air of someone that felt he deserved it and had earned his achievement through merit.
Not really, but it did piss me off that marvel hyped it up for it to be...that.

It'll be shit anyway.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
A: That responsibility doesn't exist.

B: Posting in that thread literally won't accomplish anything, except maybe you getting banned.

Save yourself some aggravation and just don't even bother.
this is basically the conclusion i came to. if people don't like it, that's fine. seems like if you don't fully agree with the topic you'll just get banned, so what's the point in engaging

anyway, the time travel prediction is definitely a possibility, but i foresee it as more of a contrived "bring the past into the future" sort of thing with force ghosts and shit

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
While most of the time it’s used by the alt-right to criticize anyone who remotely disagrees with them, I’ll admit the term “sjw” really does fit some people who are always pushing further and further left and if you aren’t close to their level you’re either a bigot or an enabler of bigotry. I find that level often pushes people who would otherwise be left of center closer to a centrist or right policy since they’re “always wrong”.

And no, this is not a hand wave of Rich’s horrible stream rant or some of the more questionable things RLM have said. The actual problematic content should be criticized as is, but it should not be an excuse to relitigate every piece of content they’ve ever put out to try and determine if the content was secretly bigoted in nature.
You simply don't have to be some kind of oblivious privilege monster to see the clear difference between Mike and Jay wanking off about studio mandated diversity and some alt-right shithead organizing a boycott because the little mermaid is now black. Mike and Jay have numerous bad takes on representation in media. So bad they deserve to be banned? Honestly for the first time felt really out of step with the greater culture of ResetEra and was happy when the mod post made it clear that a ban wasn't on the table.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
this is basically the conclusion i came to. if people don't like it, that's fine. seems like if you don't fully agree with the topic you'll just get banned, so what's the point in engaging
Its tough since anyone who knows about RLM probably is/has been a big fan at some point in their life. I guarantee the most vitriolic responses are from people who are mad that the guys haven't really changed in their perspective/humor since Gorilla Interrupted. You can't force a few drunk guys from Milwaukee to evolve into bastions of society, so you eventually just hate them for letting you down.

Plus that Rich guys laugh is SO obnoxious.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): User requested ban.
Wow I just looked at the last page, Alexandros and Mona were banned?

I asked for a ban in the shitstorm Etika thread, can one of you fucks ban me forever already? There is nothing less important in my life than this website, and its a really depressing place.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
not into comics, haven't followed the project but when they showed that clip i thought JJ was sponsoring an aspiring comic writer or something. then part of my brain said man, that'd be funny if that was his son, he has the glasses and everything

but that's really what it is though. eh..

Camwi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I just looked at the last page, Alexandros and Mona were banned?

I asked for a ban in the shitstorm Etika thread, can one of you fucks ban me forever already? There is nothing less important in my life than this website, and its a really depressing place.
I don't blame you. I love how liberal this site is, but man can it be disappointing at times. Seems like that thread has reached its final phase - banning anyone who tries to defend RLM.

Hope the thread-creator is masturbating furiously to all the people getting banned. Time to follow the advice here and just set that thread to Ignore.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
There's perfectly valid reasons to critique RLM and hold their feet to the fire on some of the bullshit they've said. I'm mostly surprised by how serious people take the ENDLESS THRASH gif though.

halfbeast

Oct 25, 2017
on the flipside we got this. it's all just a contest who can point and laugh the loudest.

nothing has been achieved, though. but I guess, that's not a priority.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
There's perfectly valid reasons to critique RLM and hold their feet to the fire on some of the bullshit they've said. I'm mostly surprised by how serious people take the ENDLESS THRASH gif though.
The issue isn’t critiquing them, insofar that you are critiquing them. Insisting that peoples agreement with the original argument is contingent on being able to engage in discussion is a greater problem than any one thread or even one site.

It’s really not worth getting into here. It’s just going to pollute this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
well, I've said my peace in that thread. With that, back to the topics at hand:

I want that Ewok death cult, with a "three eyed raven" style Palpatine (or Swamp Thing, if you prefer things a little Green-er), buuuuut... I kinda feel that we're missing a fairly obvious problem, and that is 'wtf happens to Finn then'. Because surely the whole "from enslaved to empowered" has to go somewhere, right?

I described it in my other post:
Star Wars just isn't the universe to suddenly start doing that unless there was a plan for it thematically. Like say: Finn & co restarting the Republic in a scene that mirrors the fall of it in the prequels (to thundering applause). Theme wise that would work across the trilogies: fall-rebellion-return. But if that's not there, then it's just another Game Of Thrones depiction of non-whites, and that will make the eventual disappointment feel that much worse.
(with superhero movies such a theme of 'anyone can be the hero' like in Into The Spiderverse is far more appropriate and logical to use)
Theme wise, this is what the trilogy SHOULD end on, if only because TLJ already set that up. The Jedi will not end, and the galaxy will rebel again. The only logical conclusion here is the reconstruction of the Republic by the end. Not by the Jedi or someone special, but by the people who are NOT "the past" (Kylo Ren misses this little paradox in his 'let the past die' line, the fact that he is the past too), that is: Finn and other nobodies who just happened to be there but also have to build the future.

BUT I think the time travel thing will be accurate. Maybe the plots will be that one is to close the loop and the other is open the unknown future.
That's kind of what I would do anyway.

Now, faaaaar stranger things: WHEN did they suddenly turn on JJ like that? I've been saying that shit for Years (years, dammit!) and after singing his praise for all this time (up until Cloverfield Paradox), now they suddenly go full Tim Burton on him? What happened there?

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Omg if they seriously do a time travel Star Wars movie.

Lmao. Bring it on please. The idea of that shit show is like the only way i think I’d be at all excited for this movie