• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i assumed it was that lady who did one of the pre-botw bad movie bits on HITB. i think she did a stand-up skit in the episode?

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And what's with calling Jessie "Some Girl"? Is that some weird internet pretend-she-didn't-exist thing?
My first thought was... it's Reddit.

Reddit had an entire subreddit dedicated to stalking Jessi, which is allegedly what creeped Jessi out and caused her to stop appearing on camera. So the RLM subreddit decided to crack down on that, and banned people from stalking her (which is kind of like closing the barn door after the horses have already escaped, but whatever).

That image is 100% creepy stalker material. Someone had to stalk all of RLM to make it, including Jessi. So the image creator is trying to be humorous and is feigning ignorance.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
My first thought was... it's Reddit.

Reddit had an entire subreddit dedicated to stalking Jessi, which is allegedly what creeped Jessi out and caused her to stop appearing on camera. So the RLM subreddit decided to crack down on that, and banned people from stalking her (which is kind of like closing the barn door after the horses have already escaped, but whatever).

That image is 100% creepy stalker material. Someone had to stalk all of RLM to make it, including Jessi. So the image creator is trying to be humorous and is feigning ignorance.
I was at first naively hoping it was some RLM community in-joke that avoided mentioning her by name so that the internet wouldn't be creepy about her, but yeah, what you say makes a lot more sense.

Edit:
Or maybe just doesn't know her name.
Sorry, missed this earlier, but if this was the case then "some girl" is both a dismissive and disrespectful way to say something they needn't have said at all.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's more a joke that ever since she stopped appearing and RLM refuses to mention why except for the one time on stream where Jack mentioned it, it's almost like she disappeared. Couple that with the creepy stalker base she got that likely made her leave in the first place.

I think it's less trying to discredit her, more a joke other fanbases do when a former regular is gone and it has been long enough. Like when Jon left Game Grumps and Arin refused to mention him or even REMOTELY acknowledge any previous story or session from when he played with Jon for the longest time where it was clear it was deliberate. And this is with the fanbase asking day after day on reddit and youtube why they dont mention Jon and getting excited over even the minor chance of a mention. Like how the fanbase kept asking where Jessi was and conspiracies started flying.

And this was prior to Jon's internet crash mind you. Though if the image IS meant as a jab then that's shitty, she was the best part of RLM early on for me and I miss the bigger group of female friends they used to have that would take part in their videos. Particularly the cop lady who also played the main hero in their Space Jam video.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Now I regret posting it. I just thought they were cool stats!

I just finished Bone Tomahawk (it's on prime!). I'm gonna have to agree that the one moment was kind of over hyped. When people talked about vomiting because of it I thought it was going to be worse.
I kept expecting the leg guy from the watchmen to fall down somewhere and then they'd have a gruesome bone through skin scene or maybe an infection or the amputation they kept hinting at.

I still really really enjoyed it. Quality film.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm iffy on watching Bone Tomahawk. Because I loved and hated Brawl in Cell Block 99. As in it was a fantastic film to watch, but such a god damn downer of a movie with hyper violence that isn't particularly fun I can't ever watch it again. Everytime we see the title I tell my friends "great film but if yall wanna watch that again I'll head out early" lmao

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Getting high and watching Society due to Jay's suggestion a while back, wish me luck.

Edit - and I have no information on this movie at all, but I'm watching the opening credits and I can already tell I'm in for it

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's more a joke that ever since she stopped appearing and RLM refuses to mention why except for the one time on stream where Jack mentioned it, it's almost like she disappeared. Couple that with the creepy stalker base she got that likely made her leave in the first place.

I think it's less trying to discredit her, more a joke other fanbases do when a former regular is gone and it has been long enough. Like when Jon left Game Grumps and Arin refused to mention him or even REMOTELY acknowledge any previous story or session from when he played with Jon for the longest time where it was clear it was deliberate. And this is with the fanbase asking day after day on reddit and youtube why they dont mention Jon and getting excited over even the minor chance of a mention. Like how the fanbase kept asking where Jessi was and conspiracies started flying.

And this was prior to Jon's internet crash mind you. Though if the image IS meant as a jab then that's shitty, she was the best part of RLM early on for me and I miss the bigger group of female friends they used to have that would take part in their videos. Particularly the cop lady who also played the main hero in their Space Jam video.
counterpoint: it's probably just the weirdo who's dedicated enough to plot out like half a dozen graphs for various RLM data points being a fuckin weirdo

Oct 2, 2018
The Boys was really, really good. I binged it over three nights on vacation. Can't wait to see more of it.

They did mention the one thing that disturbed me most from the show
all the kids dying
but those things happened in pursuit of making a villain truly villainous, so I'm mildly okay with it. But otherwise, it was really well done.

This conversation between the two, though, was pretty lackluster. If it gets people to watch the show, great. But it's nothing to write home about. Not super entertaining or insightful on anything.

having read the comics: some of the stuff jay was saying... I found quite amusing so the video was not bad.

Jay laughing about Black Noir doing nothing and saying"lol" he does nothing. I can't imagine his reaction when season 3/4 of the boys rolls around - if we get there that is....(please don't get cancelled before the series wraps up)

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
having read the comics: some of the stuff jay was saying... I found quite amusing so the video was not bad.

Jay laughing about Black Noir doing nothing and saying"lol" he does nothing. I can't imagine his reaction when season 3/4 of the boys rolls around - if we get there that is....(please don't get cancelled before the series wraps up)
the show seems to be really successful and even the preacher which is way less popular got 4 seasons and seems to be ending on its own terms so I'd feel pretty safe about the boys

but I guess it is still early in this weird streaming future so maybe something odd ends up happening

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only got Prime for first time after the Prime day sale recently. Discovering so many shows I never knew of... And that have already been cancelled. Streaming services are graveyards.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
it's a shame pre-rec isn't a thing anymore. would have liked to hear Jay's thoughts about the Blair Witch game. looks like it's going to be better then the last movie.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
it's a shame pre-rec isn't a thing anymore. would have liked to hear Jay's thoughts about the Blair Witch game. looks like it's going to be better then the last movie.
I don't know how much he'd really appreciate it. The power of Blair Witch was in just how little they showed, but there's no way a horror game can get away with nothing actually happening (aside from Gone Home). He appreciated the Friday the 13th game because it accurately translated Jason to a video game, but the second you get a spooky monster in Blair Witch, that betrays the original movie.

Not to say it looks bad, though. After the Amnesia and Outlast sequels dropped the ball I could use a good first-person scare.

And besides all that, Pre-Rec just fizzled out over time. I'm not sure what exactly it was, but they couldn't keep up the viewership or interest. I feel like I gave up halfway through because they just didn't have it after a certain point. I'll forever love the utter tearing down of The Order 1886 but that some of their final streams were going back to the well of old Spider-Man games and Orcs Must Die kinda tells the tale.

I'm glad they don't do the streams anymore, but I do miss the review show itself.
But a little bit of this too. We're getting back into US election season again, we don't need Rich to dig himself an even deeper hole, heh. I wouldn't mind the occasional video popping up to lift up or tear down things they find exceptional/atrocious but the audience wasn't there to keep it all going.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
biggest reason to miss the stream is for the rare episode that Jay pops in and you get to see Jay enjoying gaming in its purest essence since hes not much of a gamer, and also when he would come in and discuss movie trivia plus opinions with fans.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I miss Jack since he's never on any videos anymore.
You mean just that he's not on the round-tables anymore?

I think that has more to do with all the guest stars than anything else. But I've always liked Jack, from the first moment he was in the Phantom Menace review. "I see what you're doing. It's very funny, by the way."

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fan questions if not culled are the worst. I remember going to a toonami panel and 90% of the questions were "have you heard of this anime?" since they said "don't ask us about if we'll be acquiring any shows".
I always feel so bad for panellists. Alway being asked the same five of six asinine questions that the fans already know the answers to. And having to tell the same anecdotes over and over.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed the same thing. Other responsibilities I'm guessing. I was happy that he made it for the Patton Oswald episode (although not on the panel).
You mean just that he's not on the round-tables anymore?

I think that has more to do with all the guest stars than anything else. But I've always liked Jack, from the first moment he was in the Phantom Menace review. "I see what you're doing. It's very funny, by the way."

Yeah, I think Jack has good takes, which is why I listened to most of their video game streams. Really wish they'd just do a podcast to talk about random shit in a way that doesn't need to be edited...

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely think that part of the reason the stream ended is because Jack had more responsibilities and couldn't come as often as he used to. He used to be basically on every BotW and now they seem to be entirely relying on guests to do episodes. I can't recall the last time they did an episode with just Rich, Jack, Mike and Jay. I seem to recall they did one not too long ago?? But it's not so often that I can imagine.

Maybe his family and/or job requires more time now. I'd kill for a Red Letter Media podcast. So often I put them in the background for audio.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And besides all that, Pre-Rec just fizzled out over time. I'm not sure what exactly it was, but they couldn't keep up the viewership or interest. I feel like I gave up halfway through because they just didn't have it after a certain point. I'll forever love the utter tearing down of The Order 1886 but that some of their final streams were going back to the well of old Spider-Man games and Orcs Must Die kinda tells the tale.
I genuinely think that part of the reason the stream ended is because Jack had more responsibilities and couldn't come as often as he used to. He used to be basically on every BotW and now they seem to be entirely relying on guests to do episodes. I can't recall the last time they did an episode with just Rich, Jack, Mike and Jay. I seem to recall they did one not too long ago?? But it's not so often that I can imagine.

Maybe his family and/or job requires more time now. I'd kill for a Red Letter Media podcast. So often I put them in the background for audio.
Jack's job is/was "freelancer". He finds places like CollegeHumor or RLM that are already making internet videos, and offers to jump in and help them get their work done a bit quicker (because he's a skilled writer and editor). There's zero commitment involved with that, but IIRC he said it's scary because sometimes he doesn't find any work, and then he can't be sure if he's ever going to find more work. And he's got kids to feed.

Working on PreRec was basically a full time job for Jack, and it allowed him to quit doing freelance. (PreRec was only a part time job for Rich, because Rich can't edit, which worked out well for Rich because his RLM job is also part time, because he can't edit. Combine the two jobs and you've got one pretty decent job.)

I don't think PreRec fizzled out or started to lose money or anything like that. They had a huge built-in audience, thanks to being affiliated with RLM. Rich and Jack said that they put an end to the show because they were starting to get tired of playing videogames as heavily as they were playing them, and they felt like they were running out of things to say. They said that the job was getting tedious, and while they still enjoyed it, they could see a day fast approaching where it would become unenjoyable, and they didn't want to let it get to that point.

Jack appeared in more RLM videos while he was doing PreRec because he was right there, at RLM, working on PreRec. Proximity made it easier for him to add a couple extra overtime hours to his week by following Rich to his other job.

Jack apparently went back to freelance work after PreRec ended. He works for RLM occasionally, but most of the time he's off somewhere else, finding other ways to make a living. While Rich is apparently trying to supplement his RLM job by becoming a voice actor.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jack's job is/was "freelancer". He finds places like CollegeHumor or RLM that are already making internet videos, and offers to jump in and help them get their work done a bit quicker (because he's a skilled writer and editor). There's zero commitment involved with that, but IIRC he said it's scary because sometimes he doesn't find any work, and then he can't be sure if he's ever going to find more work. And he's got kids to feed.
I've always found that shit to be terrifying when you have a family. I couldn't do it.

Just want to make it clear. I don't work freelance or have a family. Just that i can understand how scary that situation must be for someone in Jack's position.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know how much he'd really appreciate it. The power of Blair Witch was in just how little they showed, but there's no way a horror game can get away with nothing actually happening (aside from Gone Home). He appreciated the Friday the 13th game because it accurately translated Jason to a video game, but the second you get a spooky monster in Blair Witch, that betrays the original movie.

Not to say it looks bad, though. After the Amnesia and Outlast sequels dropped the ball I could use a good first-person scare.

But a little bit of this too. We're getting back into US election season again, we don't need Rich to dig himself an even deeper hole, heh. I wouldn't mind the occasional video popping up to lift up or tear down things they find exceptional/atrocious but the audience wasn't there to keep it all going.

There is a fine line between rehashing the same things as the original and going off the rails and not capturing what made Blair Witch good. I'm cautiously optimistic with the game. although I also said that about the new movie. so I might have bad judgement.

in other news Color Out of Space is looking to be one of the best movies of the year. definitely hoping to see something from Jay whether it's a HitB or just in their year end catchup.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Working on PreRec was basically a full time job for Jack, and it allowed him to quit doing freelance. (PreRec was only a part time job for Rich, because Rich can't edit, which worked out well for Rich because his RLM job is also part time, because he can't edit. Combine the two jobs and you've got one pretty decent job.)

I don't think PreRec fizzled out or started to lose money or anything like that. They had a huge built-in audience, thanks to being affiliated with RLM. Rich and Jack said that they put an end to the show because they were starting to get tired of playing videogames as heavily as they were playing them, and they felt like they were running out of things to say. They said that the job was getting tedious, and while they still enjoyed it, they could see a day fast approaching where it would become unenjoyable, and they didn't want to let it get to that point.

Jack appeared in more RLM videos while he was doing PreRec because he was right there, at RLM, working on PreRec. Proximity made it easier for him to add a couple extra overtime hours to his week by following Rich to his other job.

Jack apparently went back to freelance work after PreRec ended. He works for RLM occasionally, but most of the time he's off somewhere else, finding other ways to make a living. While Rich is apparently trying to supplement his RLM job by becoming a voice actor.
Thanks for the insight. I knew he had been in other podcasts, videos, etc... But thought he had largely cemented himself as primarily RLM.

I could never do what he does, it's terrifying to have to look for job constantly. It works for some, not for me.

As to his diminished presence, guess I gotta get used to that Josh likely has become more of the unofficial 4th member than Jack at this point. And like I've said previously I have nothing against Josh, I just much preferred Jack. I wish the guys were more successful they could hire Jack full time. I don't know why they haven't tried to capitalize on a weekly podcast that could bring in some extra revenue. And jack could in theory be the host for that. This is me wishful thinking to have more of him in the show though haha.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Man I'd fucking let pre-rec crash and burn before I went back to jumping around like crazy for freelance work. Even if Rich wasn't interested I'd find someone else to be my co-host or just do solo streaming and reviews.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

mike is having too much fun with the elderly.

although i acknowledge that it's very likely not actually Shatner. lots of celebs (especially old ones) don't actually run their twitter account.

Deleted member 3856

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friends and I recently found out there's a screening of Twisted Pair at a local theater tomorrow night and we finally got around to getting some tickets. So not only am I finally going to see Twisted Pair, I'm also going to see a Neil Breen movie in an actual movie theater. I'm so fucking hype!!!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My friends and I recently found out there's a screening of Twisted Pair at a local theater tomorrow night and we finally got around to getting some tickets. So not only am I finally going to see Twisted Pair, I'm also going to see a Neil Breen movie in an actual movie theater. I'm so fucking hype!!!

#eyesonbreen

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This'll be you in the cinema.
SSPu5Fk.gif

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
i wonder if they were going to do a spotlight of dolemite, human tornado, and petey wheatstraw but then they just edited it down or decided to only talk about the last one

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I know next to nothing about Blaxploitation movies, except from what I gleemed from Black Dynamite (which I've heard is even funnier if you're familiar with the genre, but it's fucking hilarious without knowing shit), so I think I will thoroughly enjoy this video.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
A Koch died and we got a Rudy Ray Moore Best of the Worst? Good day, today.

This movie was terribly fun. I should watch some of these again before the Eddie Murphy movie. It's been a while.

I know next to nothing about Blaxploitation movies, except from what I gleemed from Black Dynamite (which I've heard is even funnier if you're familiar with the genre, but it's fucking hilarious without knowing shit), so I think I will thoroughly enjoy this video.
Still gotta see that. People have been lauding it for years.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
A Koch died and we got a Rudy Ray Moore Best of the Worst? Good day, today.

This movie was terribly fun. I should watch some of these again before the Eddie Murphy movie. It's been a while.

Still gotta see that. People have been lauding it for years.
Dolemite was a favorite in college. It can get kind of... difficult to quote some scenes though.