• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Mike was on fire with the jokes in this video. Laughed out loud multiple times. Jay's reaction at the end of the Pet Sematary segment was amazong lol

I hope one of them watched Ready Or Not. Seems like Jay especially would like it. One of the most entertaining movies I've seen this year.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I couldn't stand Max. Like him even less now, obviously. I didn't mind Simon or Gillian.

Gillian was funny tbh, because she was thirsting for Jay.

It's too bad that Rich trying to explain the plot of Double Down is stuck in the Max Landis episode since I think that's one of the funniest things they've ever done.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
only credit ill give to max is that the main reason we got the amazing explanation from Rich was because he kept instigating him to continue. No other guest has had the same personality to tell him to keep going and then play along with the summary. But yeah, he's a piece of shit and as amazing as that segment was I avoid the episode now.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
only credit ill give to max is that the main reason we got the amazing explanation from Rich was because he kept instigating him to continue. No other guest has had the same personality to tell him to keep going and then play along with the summary. But yeah, he's a piece of shit and as amazing as that segment was I avoid the episode now.

He also brought us Neil Breen, which probably RLM would have eventually discovered anyways, but they clearly found him a lot sooner thanks to Max.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Max Landis was horribly awkward and needy on the show. Going by facial reactions, the crew seemed to feel the same way

Wasn't he the one who introduced Macaulay Culkin to them, though? Thanks for the more interesting hollywood kid replacement guest, you fucking loser

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i didn't wanna mention him unprompted at the time, but since we're teeing off on Landis i'll take the opportunity to point out how a few months back someone on twitter discovered he posed as his own girlfriend on a wrestling message board for years:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm way behind on my BOTWs, but I don't think I really like Culkin that much for some reason. I've always loved the Canadians, though.

You know, I just realized I have a company party this Friday. Doubt it's gonna be any good but I'm not in the habit of turning down free alcohol, so watching all the recent BOTWs I have yet to see (there's like 5 at least) sounds like a great way to nurture my Saturday hangover.

Nov 2, 2017
Max Landis is really the only shitty guest they've had, I think. Love Colin and Jim, Patton did a good job, Macaulay Culkin is fine, Freddie is p good, Len's my second fav behind the Canadians, Gillian's insatiable thirst for Jay was super adorable and she was a good guest and the recent writer fella whose name escapes me was fine too.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck is Mike talking about with his pronunciation of "biopic"? Is he right? I've never heard someone say "bye-ah-pick" not as a gag.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's how it should be pronounced. with an american accent you don't pronounce biography "bye-yo graf-ee", you pronounce it 'bye-ah-grah-fee". if it's a portmantau of the two words why change the pronunciation? "sexcapade". "bromance." "frenemy." all relatively modern portmantaus that don't require one to bend the pronunciation of either of the words being combined! "biopic" sucks ass and Mike is right

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
that's how it should be pronounced. with an american accent you don't pronounce biography "bye-yo graf-ee", you pronounce it 'bye-ah-grah-fee". if it's a portmantau of the two words why change the pronunciation? "sexcapade". "bromance." "frenemy." all relatively modern portmantaus that don't require one to bend the pronunciation of either of the words being combined! "biopic" sucks ass and Mike is right
I'd agree if it was short for "biography". But isn't it short for either "biographic" or "biographical" picture, both of which have long O sounds?

Eh, even then that is some Gif/jif crap. I guess it doesn't matter

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd agree if it was short for "biography". But isn't it short for either "biographic" or "biographical" picture, both of which have long O sounds?

Eh, even then that is some Gif/jif crap. I guess it doesn't matter
well shit, i never even thought of the latter two options, which also make perfect sense now that you mention em. i guess i have a similarly myopic view of etymology as Mike!

god longwinded syntax gags are the worst. don't worry folks i'll be hurling myself into an open volcano as soon as i wake up

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Before I heard someone say it I thought it was as Mike said.

i guess it makes more sense as "bio" and then "pic" but it's not a picture it's a movie, so not sure why "pic" was what stuck. And yes I know "picture" is used interchangeably to say film/movie

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason Youtube is recommending the Star Wars Holiday Special to me over and over again so I just clicked on it and I can't believe that shit was 5 years ago.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
For some reason Youtube is recommending the Star Wars Holiday Special to me over and over again so I just clicked on it and I can't believe that shit was 5 years ago.
They've been doing this shit so long that the first new episode of Half in the Bag on Youtube is episode 37. And that was over 7 years ago. I wish more of the blip.tv era bits of madness (like the NYE streams) had hung around somehow.

Also now that I look at their oldest Youtube videos, Best of the Worst episode 2 is gone. No idea what movies were even on that. Had they removed any BotWs before the Landis one?

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Mack gifts Mike with a "spirit box" and they attempt to use it in real time." Haven't listened to it but it sounds all right.

They've been doing this shit so long that the first new episode of Half in the Bag on Youtube is episode 37. And that was over 7 years ago. I wish more of the blip.tv era bits of madness (like the NYE streams) had hung around somehow.

Also now that I look at their oldest Youtube videos, Best of the Worst episode 2 is gone. No idea what movies were even on that. Had they removed any BotWs before the Landis one?

New Gladiators, Exterminator 2, and Aftermath is BotW 2 according to the thumbnail.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like they're planning a ghost hunting special where they may go to the axe murder house

Also excited to see the next Culkin episode

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
We're as far away from from the Plinkett Episode 1 review as that was from Episode 1 itself.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TL:DR, for those who don't wanna listen for an hour and a half.

Mac bought Mike a genuine Spirit Box. It cycles through radio stations randomly, and supposedly ghosts can use their minimal connection to the world to listen to and immediately comprehend all radio stations simultaneously without the use of a radio, and ghosts can use their limited power to mess with the sensitive randomizer to make it jump around through radio stations and catch words that the ghost would like to say. They tried it. Apparently the ghost of Wyatt Earp has walked all the way to Milwaukee by foot and is currently haunting the RLM studio, because he wants beer. Makes sense.

Some people are making a movie starring the CGI corpse of James Dean. That gave RLM (with Mac) the idea for a movie, "Uncanny Valley". It's Jurassic Park meets holograms of dead celebrities. A thunderstorm messes up the computers and the holograms try to kill people in the way that they died. Mac could appear in a "Hey, I'm not dead!" capacity. He might also get the chance to fight his hologram self (Kevin from Home Alone). Martin Scorsese would call this terrible RLM movie "cinema" as it horribly butchers the memory of all of Scorsese's dead friends. Mike can use his new Spirit Box to get the dead celebrities to sign off on this project, making it totally legal.

Lots of talk about Star Wars. Rich thinks that Attack of the Clones is the worst Star Wars movie. Mac thinks that The Last Jedi is the worst one. Rich says "Oh god no" because the Prequels are way worse. The Prequels had amazing actors acting like wood in front of a green screen with terrible writing and direction. The Force Awakens started with a lot of promise and goodwill, but it's nothing but hollow committee-written nostalgia. Rian Johnson did a great thing by trying to blow up everything TFA left for him to work with, but the problem is he didn't replace it with anything great. The Last Jedi has some good stuff, and never reaches the lows of the Prequels. Rich says that he thinks the New Trilogy characters have been mishandled, but he still likes the New Trilogy characters, where he hates every single character in the Prequels (aside from Palpatine). Jay notes that people have been giving them shit for not hating The Last Jedi hard enough. Everyone agrees that Mike's idea of cutting the ending and leaving it on a cliffhanger of "Will Rey join Kylo Ren or won't she?" would have helped the movie a lot. Everyone says they don't care about Rise of Skywalker. They'll watch it opening day because that's their job, but if it wasn't their job, they'd maybe catch it on home video, for completion's sake. Rich hasn't even watched the trailers, because he doesn't care. He doesn't hate it, he just doesn't care. None of them want to hate Rise of Skywalker, they're all hoping it defies their cynicism and turns out amazing. All of them love the idea of bringing Palpatine back, even if it's a cheap idea, because Palpatine has been great in everything, even the Prequels.

Also note, they think it's amazing that Star Wars Fatigue settled in after four movies, while Marvel has done 20+ movies and they're still going strong. Marvel can do three movies in a single year and nobody minds.

Jay has seen and enjoyed all of the Star Trek TOS movies (#5 was bad, but he enjoyed it because it was bad). He doesn't hate Star Trek. Whenever Mike and Rich start talking about how much they love Star Trek TV, he always thinks it sounds great and that he'd love to watch it, but it's just so big with so many episodes that it feels overwhelming, so he quits before he starts. Rich encouraged him by telling him that it's episodic so you can jump in randomly anywhere and it doesn't matter. Mike/Rich/Mac agree that TNG is the gold standard of Trek TV, and Mike says that Voyager is his #2 show. Rich and Mac complain that Voyager is schlock with an absurd amount of missed potential. Like, the "Year of Hell" should've been a season-long story arc instead of just another two-parter where they hit the magic reset button like they always do. Or the Maquis, where half of the Voyager crew is terrorist pirates, but by the end of the pilot they're all wearing uniforms and blending in perfectly. Sure, they ain't got no Cardassians to fight anymore, so why bother rebelling, but then why introduce this plot at all if you're never going to do anything with it? Also, Janeway is inconsistent. Like, one day her Federation ideals are absolute, and the next she's trading Federation tech to the Borg in exchange for a bowl of spaghetti (and then goes right back to her absolute moral perfection). It's because the Voyager writers had great ideas, but were afraid to follow through on them. Mike gets their complaints, but he still likes Voyager. Mac and Rich hate the Enterprise theme song, but Mike likes it. Rich bailed on Enterprise (partially due to Star Trek fatigue) just before Manny Coto took over and the show got good. Rich is considering getting back into Enterprise, since he missed all the best parts of it. Jay is interested in Enterprise because he knows Manny Coto as the writer of a creepy horror movie that he likes. Mike is currently rewatching Enterprise to try and flush Discovery out of his brain. Rich is cynical about the Picard Show's ability to fulfill it's potential and recapture what he loved about TNG/Picard, and everyone agrees. Mac met Wil Wheton recently and asked him if he'd want to be in the Picard Show, and Wil absolutely would. Apparently in Wil's headcanon, Wesley Crusher washed out of his "become an energy being" program with The Traveler, and returned to Starfleet in time for Riker & Troi's wedding, and he's 100% available for new Star Trek work (I'm pretty sure that's also the actual canon).

Mac blew Mike's mind by asking him if there are any movies he's looking forward to watching, which made Mike remember the existence of that feeling. Mike hasn't felt that in so long, he completely forgot that feelings like joy and anticipation existed.

Rich is looking forward to watching the current season of The Good Place (he's letting the episodes build up so he can binge watch them). Mike likes it too. Jay was looking forward to The Lighthouse, but he just saw it and it's great. Mac was looking forward to The Joker. Jay and Mac want more mainstream movies like The Joker (Jay had to drive an hour to reach a theater that was showing The Lighthouse).

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing them play the Ishtar trailer made me believe that they did an Ishtar review... and I was disappointed when I found out it was just a figment of my imagination. lol

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Mike being incorrectly pedantic while correcting pronunciation and being mad about the "ok boomer" meme. It's all very on brand

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing them play the Ishtar trailer made me believe that they did an Ishtar review... and I was disappointed when I found out it was just a figment of my imagination. lol

Everything I know about Ishtar came from that time Jay went temporarily insane during the new year's stream and played the trailer for two hours.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Mike wearing old man special effects?
Mike toyed with forces he does not understand when he tried to use that Spirit Box, and now the ghost of Wyatt Earp is attempting to possess him.

Mike said he wanted to have an otherworldly experience, and Mac said he wanted to give it to him. Never underestimate Mr McCulkin. The ending of that Max Landis episode should've been a clue, but then we all agreed to purge Max Landis from our collective memory, and Mac stepped in to fill the void.