• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I haven't had anything good to say about TLJ because there isn't much to be enthused about in it, but I will say, as a film it's probably the most "deep" in the trilogy. It's eggshell thin and shallow as fuck and doesn't even remotely make internal sense for more than a few minutes at a time, but still... Within the trilogy, it's the least shallow.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I haven't had anything good to say about TLJ because there isn't much to be enthused about in it, but I will say, as a film it's probably the most "deep" in the trilogy. It's eggshell thin and shallow as fuck and doesn't even remotely make internal sense for more than a few minutes at a time, but still... Within the trilogy, it's the least shallow.

it really does say something about these sequels that that is the case. i despised the movie.

the first is the best one all around for sure. it felt like a movie i could like.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I finally watched it and it felt like an ice cream of vanilla ice cream sprinkled with vanilla flavored sprinkles. And the cone is also vanilla flavored. Just nothing particularly positive to say but the negatives I largely come out of the theater with are that I didn't particularly enjoy any of the other films in this trilogy so any conclusion didn't feel satisfying.

Now if this had baby Yoda now that I'd be into.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
With the first season complete, I'm looking forward to their Mando video.

876586_originalmtk7q.gif

Baby Yoda has managed to melt Mr. Plinkett's cold, pizza sauce covered heart. And he'll melt yours too!

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the fact that they hate anime and don't know what Lone Wolf and Cub is will probably make them like it more. lol

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the first season complete, I'm looking forward to their Mando video.

876586_originalmtk7q.gif

Baby Yoda has managed to melt Mr. Plinkett's cold, pizza sauce covered heart. And he'll melt yours too!
Have they even reviewed TV shows before, apart from Stranger Things and The Boys (and The Boys had their own weird format)?

Star Trek doesn't count.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Still waiting for the full Re:view for season 3.
While I kinda wanted that for awhile I think it would be a bad video, because it would just be gushing for 30 minutes from Jay with occasional shots to nodding agreement from Josh or whomever is in the other chair. Yeah, it's amazing, I already know that. I don't think I'd get anything new from it unless it comes out a few years from now as a sort of complete retrospective of the series.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is Twin Peaks officially donezo? i thought there were rumblings of something else a while back

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
is Twin Peaks officially donezo? i thought there were rumblings of something else a while back
Considering how expensive it was and the fact that it bombed, I assume there's no chance of it coming back unless someone just has money to burn and wants to prestige of funding a money losing project for some reason.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that weird bad-looking Twin Peaks VR game will actually be good and meaningful. Who knows!?
It's out already. It's bad and bad-looking. It's made by Collider, so you better believe it's Very Cool.
They've actually managed to fix the red room floor color at the last minute. I clapped when they re-released the launch trailer with updated textures. Not that it was a big deal, mistakes happen. I mean, who has the time to compare their work to a single photo of any iteration of the most iconic location in the series?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Well Star Wars was fine, just like the rest of them. But it's kinda telling to me that the thing that got me the most emotionally was Chewbacca getting a medal. Unearned and out of nowhere but just old Star Wars music and "hey, remember thaaaaat?" Yeah, I do.

Anyway, I think the black backdrop for some of these Half in the Bags is a bad idea. So many artifacts in the wide shot.

It's out already. It's bad and bad-looking. It's made by Collider, so you better believe it's Very Cool.
They've actually managed to fix the red room floor color at the last minute. I clapped when they re-released the launch trailer with updated textures. Not that it was a big deal, mistakes happen. I mean, who has the time to compare their work to a single photo of any iteration of the most iconic location in the series?
Oh. Well that's unsurprising but still a bummer.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it again: Chewie was the star of the movie.

I don't know what that says about all the other characters.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but folks saying chewie had so many emotions and all I heard everytime he was making noises and emoting was his family in the Christmas special.

Stir whip stir whip, whip whip stir

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
holy shit there's a new american Grudge movie on the 3rd. That's a real fuck you it's january movie. I hope they review it.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I haven't seen Rise of the Skywalker yet, but I would say that "apolitical" is an appropriate label for Chewbacca. He doesn't care about the cause. He cares about the people fighting for the cause.

It was said a long time ago that Chewbacca was following Han Solo due to some sort of Wookiee Life Debt. The movie "Solo" showed that Han was an Empire recruit, who got himself arrested by the Empire, and met Chewie in an Empire jail (I don't know if it was said how Chewie ended up there), and they broke out of jail together, so Chewie decided to repay Han by assigning a Life Debt to him, and they became smugglers and criminals.

Several years later, Luke and Obi Wan hire Han and Chewie to fly them around while avoiding the Empire, and Luke and Leia eventually ask them to join the Rebellion, and Han's like "I've got no love for the Empire, but I'm not stupid enough to make myself their target." Until Han has a change of heart and decides to fight the Empire alongside Luke and Leia.

What does Chewbacca feel about the Empire? Or the Rebels? Very little, apparently. He's just riding along with whatever Han wants to do. He probably doesn't like the Empire, but he's not driven to destroy them. He might like the Rebels, but he seemed fine with walking away from them. Gonna switch sides and join the Rebels? Okay, that's fine too. But it was never Chewbacca's choice. Chewbacca let Han decide all of these things.

After the war, Chewie doesn't seem to have taken up any position in the new government he helped form. Leia forms a "Resistance" splinter group from that new government, to fight the First Order? Chewie doesn't care about Leia's Resistance, Chewie cares about Leia. Chewie's more about the people than the political affiliation. The Empire, The Rebels, The New Republic, The Resistance... they're all just names and flags and words that have no meaning deeper than the meanings you assign to them. People are what really matter, and Chewie will apparently ride with the people who are important to him, no matter where that ride leads.

Of course, in today's political climate, claiming to be apolitical carries it's own meanings, outside of the story.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Rise of the Skywalker yet, but I would say that "apolitical" is an appropriate label for Chewbacca. He doesn't care about the cause. He cares about the people fighting for the cause.

It was said a long time ago that Chewbacca was following Han Solo due to some sort of Wookiee Life Debt. The movie "Solo" showed that Han was an Empire recruit, who got himself arrested by the Empire, and met Chewie in an Empire jail (I don't know if it was said how Chewie ended up there), and they broke out of jail together, so Chewie decided to repay Han by assigning a Life Debt to him, and they became smugglers and criminals.

Several years later, Luke and Obi Wan hire Han and Chewie to fly them around while avoiding the Empire, and Luke and Leia eventually ask them to join the Rebellion, and Han's like "I've got no love for the Empire, but I'm not stupid enough to make myself their target." Until Han has a change of heart and decides to fight the Empire alongside Luke and Leia.

What does Chewbacca feel about the Empire? Or the Rebels? Very little, apparently. He's just riding along with whatever Han wants to do. He probably doesn't like the Empire, but he's not driven to destroy them. He might like the Rebels, but he seemed fine with walking away from them. Gonna switch sides and join the Rebels? Okay, that's fine too. But it was never Chewbacca's choice. Chewbacca let Han decide all of these things.

After the war, Chewie doesn't seem to have taken up any position in the new government he helped form. Leia forms a "Resistance" splinter group from that new government, to fight the First Order? Chewie doesn't care about Leia's Resistance, Chewie cares about Leia. Chewie's more about the people than the political affiliation. The Empire, The Rebels, The New Republic, The Resistance... they're all just names and flags and words that have no meaning deeper than the meanings you assign to them. People are what really matter, and Chewie will apparently ride with the people who are important to him, no matter where that ride leads.

Of course, in today's political climate, claiming to be apolitical carries it's own meanings, outside of the story.
Apolitical?

He fought in two rebellions lol

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apolitical?

He fought in two rebellions lol
But if he didn't care about the politics involved with those two rebellions? For at least one of those two rebellions, Chewie didn't choose which side to fight for, or whether to fight at all, he let his best friend pick the sides for him.

"Fighting" is more than you or I would easily do for a cause, so that might seem like deep involvement, but Chewie might rip your arms off over a friendly game of chess.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but folks saying chewie had so many emotions and all I heard everytime he was making noises and emoting was his family in the Christmas special.

Stir whip stir whip, whip whip stir

Think of how much better the Star Wars holiday special could have been if Lumpy fell into the bottomless pit outside of their house and then twelve seconds later you found out it was actually a second, presumably evil Lumpy. How's that for emotional? You would have been so momentarily sad until you found out it was okay to not give a damn about other Lumpy, because you've never met him before, so fuck him.

Scion

Oct 27, 2017
But if he didn't care about the politics involved with those two rebellions? For at least one of those two rebellions, Chewie didn't choose which side to fight for, or whether to fight at all, he let his best friend pick the sides for him.

"Fighting" is more than you or I would easily do for a cause, so that might seem like deep involvement, but Chewie might rip your arms off over a friendly game of chess.

If anything, Han is what kept him out of conflicts. He fought in the Clone wars, he and his planet were imprisoned/enslaved by the newly formed empire, and when his life debt was finished he stuck around to help the resistance. I don't know if it's canon, but I always assumed he was also part of the insurrections on Kashyyyk and that's what got him captured in the first place.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

He still fought in a war.

Don't tell me you think wars aren't political?

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He still fought in a war.

Don't tell me you think wars aren't political?
Wars are political. Warriors aren't necessarily political. A mercenary, for example, willing to sell his services to either side, isn't being political about the issue that's being disputed, they're just selling their services. One could say that an apolitical stance is a political stance (choosing to not choose, is a choice), but that doesn't mean it's not an "apolitical" political stance.

Chewbacca's violent. He gets into fights.

The Trade Federation and the Old Republic (consisting of Clones led by Jedi) were fighting over his homeworld, and his people sided with the Old Republic. If Chewie doesn't know or care anything about the political situation when he got involved, then I wouldn't say that Chewie was "being political" by fighting in a war.

The Old Republic then turned against itself, with the Clones assassinating the Jedi. Does Chewie know or care why the Clones are killing the Jedi? No, he just knows that he had some contact with Yoda, and Yoda was a pretty cool dude, so he helps Yoda escape. Which seems to line up with what that paragraph says about Chewie, which is that he doesn't care about political matters, he just picks individuals to side with, and then he sticks with them out of a sense of loyalty, regardless of where their political decisions might take him.

If anything, fighting for the Empire in the Clone Wars, only to be enslaved by them, would tend to leave Chewie more apathetic towards believing in causes.

Chewie didn't choose the first Rebellion, he let Han (who is not very political) choose.

Chewie didn't choose the second Rebellion, Leia (who is very political) was basically his sister-in-law, and he likes her, so of course he voted for her (and ripped some people's arms off, but he does that just for fun).

Oct 26, 2017

The Empire enslaved the Wookies, pretty sure he had a political grudge against them for that.