• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Macaulay Culkin is going to be on the next season of American Horror Story.

I remember they briefly talked about the show a few times, with Mike thinking it was okay and Jay seeming to hate it, but maybe they'll do a re:view or sit down with the new season.
Would they potentially rip on Mac though, should it be fair.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For anyone wondering what's up with Max Landis describing himself as a "holistic" consulting service, there's this writer named Douglas Adams who wrote a very famous sci-fi/comedy called "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and he also wrote the lesser-known "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency".

Max Landis was in charge of that book's BBC/Netflix adaptation, which ran for two seasons before being canned when he was outed as a predator.

Max Landis ain't letting go of a better writer's joke.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
For anyone wondering what's up with Max Landis describing himself as a "holistic" consulting service, there's this writer named Douglas Adams who wrote a very famous sci-fi/comedy called "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", and he also wrote the lesser-known "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency".

Max Landis was in charge of that book's BBC/Netflix adaptation, which ran for two seasons before being canned when he was outed as a predator.

Don't panic!

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

wasn't that show canned before shit hit the fan with him? i think it ended pre-bright, at least.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The second season had half the viewers of the first, BBC America cancelled it and Netflix wasn't interested in picking it up.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
hope they watch Invisible Man this weekend and we get a half in the bag. reviews have been much better than i expected. excited to see it myself this weekend.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wasn't that show canned before shit hit the fan with him? i think it ended pre-bright, at least.
Looking into it, apparently the show was cancelled Dec 18, 2017.
www.hollywoodreporter.com

‘Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency’ Canceled at BBC America

The Elijah Wood starrer will not return for a third season.

And then six days later, on Dec 24, 2017, Max Landis started making headlines.

Max Landis Accused of Sexual Harassment by Multiple Women

Max Landis, son of Hollywood heavyweight John Landis, has been accused of sexual assault via Twitter.
www.thedailybeast.com

‘Bright’ Screenwriter Max Landis Accused of Sexual Assault

Several women have taken to Twitter to allege that the writer of Netflix’s first blockbuster film—and son of legendary ‘Animal House’ director John Landis—has a history of abuse.

I just remembered, I was a bit late to the show (and had already heard it had been canned), and I think I watched the first episode and I was like "Hmmm, this show seems really good. I wonder why they canned it?" And then the credits came up and I almost laughed as I said "Ooooh, so that's why they canned it."

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
God these are so good. I love star trek, and these new shows are terrible, but watching Mike and Rich suffer through these series as well at least makes up for some of it

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Knowing almost nothing about Star Trek and only experiencing it through these videos is the best. Being an actual old-school Star Trek fan sounds like an unending hell, no wonder Rich is such a bitter husk of a man.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that last line is a teaser for the next episode.

IIRC, Mac watched TNG-era Star Trek, and he kept up with Mike and Rich in one of their side-conversations on an episode of BOTW.

Mac just needs to watch the show (which he might be doing anyways), and then he can appear at RLM in a month and chat with Mike about the completed season.

Of course, by this point (first episode, third episode, fifth episode) it seems like Mike would force Rich to do an end-of-season wrapup anyways, if Mac doesn't do it. But Rich seems burned out. Switching to Mac would freshen things up.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
that was a 1 hour therapy session with rich dragged along to listen, against his will

it's actually impressive how many batshit rhetorical questions mike can throw out in 60 minutes

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
I'm a self-medicating Star Trek fan. My medicine is staying far away from modern Trek, it's really not interesting to me.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
should probably pass on that lol. i dont know whats up with that guy but throwing yourself in the middle of everything seems like a bad idea.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I have ever sat through a single episode of Star Trek but I have listened to the new Picard RLM review probably 3 times and it makes me crack up every time. The way Mike delves into insanity, asking questions absolutely no one on this show was thinking about and Rich's dead silence while trying to bring Mike back to reality is just comedic gold. "Why was Picard there!?" "Because his name is in the title of the show!"

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that was a really great episode. I'm not really a Trekkie although watched a fair bit of TNG with my dad when I was growing up, and I have little interest in the new stuff (although Beyond was good). But watching Mike and Rich slowly lose their minds as they analyse this stuff is pure gold.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
should probably pass on that lol. i dont know whats up with that guy but throwing yourself in the middle of everything seems like a bad idea.
Mike posted Manu's apology post in the video, so Mike's done about as much as he can do. Manu apologized for his stupidity, so he's done about as much as he can do (apparently Manu thought he knew Kevin Spacey, and Manu attacked Rapp before Manu learned/accepted that he was wrong about Spacey). Anthony Rapp was big enough to accept Manu's apology, so there's that.

If the wider Star Trek community is not so forgiving and still hates Manu for that time he ignorantly attacked a rape victim, then more talking isn't going to help anyone.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Best part was Rich observing that Mike is still in denial and he has moved past it. I think I am at the same stage as Mike. Every week I watch this and I get more bored and think about just rewatching TNG and DS9.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Mike posted Manu's apology post in the video, so Mike's done about as much as he can do. Manu apologized for his stupidity, so he's done about as much as he can do (apparently Manu thought he knew Kevin Spacey, and Manu attacked Rapp before Manu learned/accepted that he was wrong about Spacey). Anthony Rapp was big enough to accept Manu's apology, so there's that.

If the wider Star Trek community is not so forgiving and still hates Manu for that time he ignorantly attacked a rape victim, then more talking isn't going to help anyone.

It was a shit-tier "apology" and for them to insert that in as if it was the petition crowd being unreasonably bloodthirsty makes me reconsider ever watching them again. That whole section trying to cast Manu's comments as "political" was gross. Like an inverse of "damning with faint praise".

aaa.png

sss.png

Saying "I didn't think it was assault and it's none of my business but you don't know if he did it and Kevin Spacey is a cool dude" is not an apology for "That child wanted to be raped". It even sinks below the "I'm sorry if you were offended" tier apology.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was clear that Mike is completely ok with canceling Manu.
They did disappoint me for the first time in a while with their Oscar talk, though.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a shit-tier "apology" and for them to insert that in as if it was the petition crowd being unreasonably bloodthirsty makes me reconsider ever watching them again. That whole section trying to cast Manu's comments as "political" was gross. Like an inverse of "damning with faint praise".

aaa.png

sss.png

Saying "I didn't think it was assault and it's none of my business but you don't know if he did it and Kevin Spacey is a cool dude" is not an apology for "That child wanted to be raped". It even sinks below the "I'm sorry if you were offended" tier apology.
I don't think Mike was trying to say that the petition makers were being unreasonably bloodthirsty. He saw someone say that Manu wasn't cast because of "some political stuff" that Manu said, so Mike looked into it, found the actual tweets, said that what Kevin Spacey did was horrible, and pointed out that Manu called the allegations against Spacey "liberal pussy nonsense" and worse.

Then Mike pointed out that Star Trek Discovery writers (who work with and plainly like Anthony Rapp) also write Star Trek Picard, and they wrote the scene where Icheb was horrifically murdered. That's not "political", it's "personal", but Mike was loosely using the word "political" as shorthand, because politics had been invoked several times already.

And then Mike asked if it's weird that real-life political situations with actors can spill over into fiction, resulting in fictional characters being burned in effigy. And yeah. It's kinda weird. Like... Two and a Half Men ran over Charlie Sheen with a train. I can't say that I object, but it's a little weird.

I think Mike tossed Manu's apology in during the video editing phase just to be thorough, because they never talked about his apology during the review, as it had nothing to do with what they were talking about. But Mike did just put Manu's shit up for everyone to read, so it's a bit responsible to point out that Manu did make an apology. You can weigh his apology for yourself and make your own judgements.

I posted Anthony Rapp's acceptance of Manu's apology because I think that was really big of Rapp, and it really made me respect him. But Manu did something pretty terrible with his words (not as bad as Kevin Spacey, obviously, but still pretty bad), and none of us are required to be as forgiving as Rapp is, not you, not me, not the petition signers, and not the Discovery/Picard writers.

IMO, Mike said all there was for Mike to say on the subject. And Manu has already said all there was for Manu to say. So there's little-to-no point in Manu appearing on RLM.