• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well thanks to lmke I decided to give the Orville a shot. And glad I did becuse I'm enjoying it.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit so many videos.

Edit: Oh, it's not a RLM video. That's weird, though still good.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i think the difference being that enough people disliked TLJ he can probably find actual reasons as to why he disliked it. Unlike the prequels though, it won't change the minds of people who liked it. Only those who were on the fence.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm also wondering if some of their negativity was reinforced by the snafu with fandango and seeing it again without that circumstance might soften some of the vitriol.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone who enjoys old school slow moving horror flicks watch The Blackcoat's Daughter, and i'm glad Jay enjoyed it

it's a MASTAHPIECE

Oct 25, 2017
btw, just to start shit with the encyclopedia, but technically the "first gay kiss" in ST falls to DS9: Rejoined, which is S4, not the depicted S7 episode with Ezri. :'D
Though I'm sure trekkies would argue that that was a matter of host difficulties, but that doesn't change that it's a same sex exchange.

This is what happens when you watch The Orville, people! :P

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
The third episode of "The Prequels Strike Back . . . Strikes Back" had a reference to RLM/Plinkett

At the 8:00 minute mark, but probably should watch through the whole thing to get the proper context.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJILpZU8NkA

French film theorist and father of modern film criticism Andre Bazin, thought critics should only analyze films they enjoy. That concept has never been more foreign than now where the internet rewards negative criticism.

Here are some screen caps with the CC on just for easy reference.
https://imgur.com/a/qgnZj (several in the album for more context.
SWAwS5b.png

In general, it is an episode that lightly goes over how the Prequels got a lot of hate and they think it is turning around now and a general message of let people like what they like. Which I agree with, but I guess my main counter argument to that would be there have been points brought up (Plinkett or what have you) that would be nice to see counter argued in a way other than "Well, I just like it." Stuff like characterization, dialogue, gross continuity discrepancies, etc.

I still watch these asthey pop up on my Amazon recommendations ever since I watched the first episode and they are only a few minutes long. I am just curious if they will ever try to counter points in the Plinkett reviews as I am truly curious what they would have to say about it.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
btw, just to start shit with the encyclopedia, but technically the "first gay kiss" in ST falls to DS9: Rejoined, which is S4, not the depicted S7 episode with Ezri. :'D
Though I'm sure trekkies would argue that that was a matter of host difficulties, but that doesn't change that it's a same sex exchange.

What "first kiss" is Orville going to do on their show?

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I kind of don't care about the first gay kiss in Trek.

The Kirk/Uhura kiss was a landmark because it was the first Black/White kiss on TV. Not the first one on Trek, but the first one anywhere.

"Rejoined" in DS9 had the first gay kiss in Trek, in 1995 (if it even counts, because stomach-worms, and doesn't need to be delayed to 1998), but LA Law beat liberal utopia Star Trek to the punch by four (or maybe seven) years, with TV's first gay kiss in 1991.

In 1990, Star Trek was afraid to confirm the existence of gays (Whoopi Goldberg wanted to ad-lib and make a line casually gender neutral, while two possible gays could be observed in the background, and someone freaked out and called the producers down to put an end to all the gayness).

Being the first gay kiss in Trek feels like a sad bar to clear.

What "first kiss" is Orville going to do on their show?
It would have to be something that hasn't happened on TV yet. I'm sure Seth MacFarlane is up to the challenge of figuring out what that line is, and then crossing it.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Ingrid goes west a lot, but it kind of ends the only way it could have ended, I don't know if that makes sense.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
I just assume that anyone that says anything positive about the prequels is just pretending to like it just to shit on the new movies.

There is just nothing good about them, there not even good in a bad way, they're just so god damn boring, and ugly.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Shitting on the prequels is sooooooooo mainstream

They're actually misunderstood masterpieces. Unlike those shit new rehash disney movies!

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why I just thought about it, but Jay used to talk about (either of the forums or his twitter) that they planned to do more conventions after Space Cop finished (this was like during the first iteration of Space Cop, so a LONG time ago). It's a shame they never did since some of those videos were great. I guess it was probably a combination of they're too big now and don't need to go to them to advertise, Space Cop not being good (Feeding Frenzy is decent! Check it out!) and even fan reaction to Space Cop probably not being what they wanted/expected, or Space Cop just wore them out and they wanted to move on.

Oct 25, 2017
Are there even any obvious "January" releases this year? Maybe I haven't been keeping up, but I am not aware of any 'straight to January' coming up.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Why did Space Cop turn out to be so bad? Their regular material is so great but that movie was terrible. I hope Len made fun of them after they destroyed his movies, but he's probably too nice of a guy for that :)

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why did Space Cop turn out to be so bad? Their regular material is so great but that movie was terrible. I hope Len made fun of them after they destroyed his movies, but he's probably too nice of a guy for that :)
Feeding Frenzy was apparently based on RLM's deep love of 80's horror movies, combined with a willingness to lovingly-mock 80's horror movie tropes (like the protagonist refusing to save the girl after learning that he won't gain a girlfriend for his trouble, IIRC).

Space Cop was apparently based on their love of 80's sci-fi, but it seems like the main joke that they had was replacing your chiseled action hero with Rich Evans. That one joke is omnipresent and overwhelms every other joke in the movie, and it becomes hard to see what 80's sci-fi they loved, or what 80's sci-fi they were trying to poke fun at. They probably should've hired Len for the lead and built an 80's sci-fi homage/parody around him.

Probably also didn't help that Space Cop had a very long and troubled production. Makes it easy to lose sight of the bigger picture, and comedy in particular doesn't work so well once you start overthinking it.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Feeding Frenzy was apparently based on RLM's deep love of 80's horror movies, combined with a willingness to lovingly-mock 80's horror movie tropes (like the protagonist refusing to save the girl after learning that he won't gain a girlfriend for his trouble, IIRC).

Space Cop was apparently based on their love of 80's sci-fi, but it seems like the main joke that they had was replacing your chiseled action hero with Rich Evans. That one joke is omnipresent and overwhelms every other joke in the movie, and it becomes hard to see what 80's sci-fi they loved, or what 80's sci-fi they were trying to poke fun at. They probably should've hired Len for the lead and built an 80's sci-fi homage/parody around him.

Probably also didn't help that Space Cop had a very long and troubled production. Makes it easy to lose sight of the bigger picture, and comedy in particular doesn't work so well once you start overthinking it.

Yeah. It's a shame because I was looking forward to it. For me the biggest mistake they made was setting out to make a bad/funny/ironic movie instead of trying to play it straight. In an episode they said that they watch and enjoy movies that were trying to be decent and failed horribly, not stuff like the Sharknado series where the makers already know they're making a bad film. It was disappointing for me because they knew and understood the difference between an unintentionally bad movie and an intentionally bad one.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well if he was monetizing them I can see why it would bother them. It was literally just him cutting videos of one and the other and putting them together in one video

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think that if RLM wanted open warfare with Collider, they'd start open warfare with Collider. They don't need RLM fanboys taking "the war" to other people's doorsteps on RLM's behalf. That sort of thing's just going to make RLM hesitant to continue making jokes about Collider.

And Jay blocking this guy on twitter might've had something to do with him calling James Franco's accusers attention whores, or him calling for Oprah Winfrey to shut the fuck up and get off the stage. Oh noes, why did Jay-sempai block me on twitter rather than engaging with me as an equal? That's very childish of Jay. I'm going to start work on a new youtube video about how wrong Jay is.

Wow, RLM did a DMCA on this video.

Huh, it looks like all the mashup videos are gone. I guess he was monetizing them and RLM didn't like it.
Apparently Collider did the DMCA takedowns on the previous videos, which were made by a different person. Then this guy decided to pick up the torch, and RLM stepped in and slapped him down before Collider could get to it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
When you put it like that Cheerilee, I actually totally get why'd they want it pulled down lol. I enjoyed the video, but the toaster dude sounds like a douche.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017

I think that if RLM wanted open warfare with Collider, they'd start open warfare with Collider. They don't need RLM fanboys taking "the war" to other people's doorsteps on RLM's behalf. That sort of thing's just going to make RLM hesitant to continue making jokes about Collider.

I see. The guy sounds like a dick. Wanting his video to create internet drama between two groups unrelated to him is petty.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Not onboard with the intention of causing drama, but I found those Collider et al vs. RLM videos hilarious.

Real shame they're gone. I can understand why RLM wouldn't want to be associated with them though.