• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the big thing about Bird Box, it seems extremely derivative and the blindfold thing is barely a part of the movie.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed Bird Box. It's no masterpiece but it was a solid 2 hours entertainment. Only part of it I genuinely didn't like was the ending.

I really don't get the hate boner they (well Jay mostly) have for Sandra Bullock. She's almost always great.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
I enjoyed Bird Box. It's no masterpiece but it was a solid 2 hours entertainment. Only part of it I genuinely didn't like was the ending.

I really don't get the hate boner they (well Jay mostly) have for Sandra Bullock. She's almost always great.
I know it's weird but I never got into Sandra Bullock either. I can't think of a single movie of hers that I liked (no, I didn't enjoy Gravity) and her being in Bird Box made sure that I'm not going to watch that movie. It's not even a thing on a personal level because she seems really sympathetic as a person. But I just went through the list of movies she starred in and there's absolutely nothing for me. Maybe Demolition Man, but I don't ever need to watch that movie again either because I've already seen it so many times when we had it on tape back then.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's weird but I never got into Sandra Bullock either. I can't think of a single movie of hers that I liked (no, I didn't enjoy Gravity) and her being in Bird Box made sure that I'm not going to watch that movie. It's not even a thing on a personal level because she seems really sympathetic as a person. But I just went through the list of movies she starred in and there's absolutely nothing for me. Maybe Demolition Man, but I don't ever need to watch that movie again either because I've already seen it so many times when we had it on tape back then.

The Blind Side is a great movie that she stars in.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017

Speed?

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen enough Sandra Bullock movies that seeing her name on a movie gets a generally bad impression. She's been in some good movies but I'd say she isn't the reason they were good.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i didnt watch this film because of Sandra Bullock, I watched it despite of her because I just dont care for any of the roles she has had and i dont find her particularly charismatic. I likely would have enjoyed it more if another star would have taken her role. But it's not like her peformance makes or breaks this movie. The movie imho was more about the world and the side characters. Personally, I think Malkovich absolutely stole the show.

Plus the hilarious ending that my friends and I halfway through the movie were like "oh man it was must be awesome to bla bla bla" and then we were howling at the end. Add insult to injury with SB (ending spoiler)
clearly being told the mother wanted to call her daughter after some disney princess and she simply names her after her lmao

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I can't say I particularly like Bullock either. Haven't seen a lot of movies with her, though.

I thought the Bird Box book was just okay, so I mostly just skimmed through the movie out of curiosity. Aside from one or two odd changes, it almost seemed like a 1:1 adaptation. Interested in hearing what these guys thought about it.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the movie, and I think the guys were kind of unfair with some of their complaints.

For example, you can't compare the structure of Bird Box to Dawn of the Dead and the people taking off in the helicopter, because Bird Box didn't start with
everyone at the deaf place.
I don't have a problem with the movie starting the way it did, because it was still interesting seeing how they got there, in the same way that Fight Club was still interesting even though they started with Edward Norton with a gun in his mouth.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I enjoyed the movie, and I think the guys were kind of unfair with some of their complaints.

For example, you can't compare the structure of Bird Box to Dawn of the Dead and the people taking off in the helicopter, because Bird Box didn't start with
I don't have a problem with the movie starting the way it did, because it was still interesting seeing how they got there, in the same way that Fight Club was still interesting even though they started with Edward Norton with a gun in his mouth.

That is a bad comparison, fight club works because there ends up being a twist on why the main characters are in that opening scene. Bird Box just plays it straight removing tension from the flash back content.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017

Nah, I disagree. They immediately removed the stakes from the movie by making it all about the flashbacks instead of the current day trek. Starting with the trek removed all the stakes, I was just waiting to see how people died, not to see if they died.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I disagree. They immediately removed the stakes from the movie by making it all about the flashbacks instead of the current day trek. Starting with the trek removed all the stakes, I was just waiting to see how people died, not to see if they died.
But just because they weren't there, that didn't necessarily mean they died
like the cop and the one dude who stole the car.

Pregnant lady was the only one who had her fate pretty much locked in. Everybody else could've been left behind like, say, The Mist.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I don't hate BirdBox, i don't think it's terrible either, it's just that it's so painfully plain, generic and forgettable that you really start to wonder how this thing got popular in the first place.
Really, it's just like, the most unoriginal and inflated premise ever, executed in a such mediocre and dull, by-the-number way that it hurts.

I don't get it.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
like they said, its was the type of movie you watch during the holidays when there isn't anything else on.

its just barely good enough for your to not want to turn it off.

Definitely nothing I would like to watch again, and the ending was just absolutely horrible.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
bDCkE49.gif

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the botw episode yesterday where Mike had that giant flask

Laughed out loud at Mike and Rich fighting over it "Get off me, you fuck!" and Mike trying to find his car key

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2. Who was the lady? And why did she leave? Was she dating Mike?
Jessi. She was Mike's girlfriend. She also worked on behind-the-scenes stuff at RLM. She decided that she no longer wanted to appear on camera. Possibly because she discovered that there was an entire subreddit dedicated to creeping on her.

Jack confirmed in one of the Pre Rec streams (sometime after she vanished) that she was alive and well, and that he just said "Hi" to her the other day. She just chose not to be a public figure on the internet anymore. And that's the last he's going to say about that, because if she doesn't want to be on the internet, then he's not going to talk about her on the internet.

She might have quit RLM since then, and got a job somewhere else. She might still be working at RLM, behind the scenes. She might have dumped Mike. She might have married him. Nobody knows, because it's not our business.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Jessi. She was Mike's girlfriend. She also worked on behind-the-scenes stuff at RLM. She decided that she no longer wanted to appear on camera. Possibly because she discovered that there was an entire subreddit dedicated to creeping on her.

Jack confirmed in one of the Pre Rec streams (sometime after she vanished) that she was alive and well, and that he just said "Hi" to her the other day. She just chose not to be a public figure on the internet anymore. And that's the last he's going to say about that, because if she doesn't want to be on the internet, then he's not going to talk about her on the internet.

She might have quit RLM since then, and got a job somewhere else. She might still be working at RLM, behind the scenes. She might have dumped Mike. She might have married him. Nobody knows, because it's not our business.
Ah, then yeah that's fair. No idea why she was, since I'm relatively new to RLM.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, then yeah that's fair. No idea why she was, since I'm relatively new to RLM.
dont be bothered by it, you didnt know. Personally when personalities part of groups with loads of fans decide to leave I tend to prefer when they put out at least a statement so we know they're gone. Yes it's none of our business, but leaving without saying much about it tends to leave an entire subset of the fanbase obsessed with trying to piece together why that person left and the story behind it.

I watch the older BOTW episodes all the time when I put the playlist in the background from start to finish, and watching episodes with her DOES suck because her dynamic with the group was super fun.

On a similar note, speaking of members of RLM where the hell HAS Jack been. I understand that Jack is not technically employed by RLM unlike Mike, Jay, Rich and possibly Josh (I have zero clue on him I assume he tends to run the behind the scenes of the site and store). But at this point he is one of the main guys even if technically a guest and I DO really love Jack since he brings a more positive bubbly cynicism... if that even makes sense lol

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
dont be bothered by it, you didnt know. Personally when personalities part of groups with loads of fans decide to leave I tend to prefer when they put out at least a statement so we know they're gone. Yes it's none of our business, but leaving without saying much about it tends to leave an entire subset of the fanbase obsessed with trying to piece together why that person left and the story behind it.

I watch the older BOTW episodes all the time when I put the playlist in the background from start to finish, and watching episodes with her DOES suck because her dynamic with the group was super fun.

On a similar note, speaking of members of RLM where the hell HAS Jack been. I understand that Jack is not technically employed by RLM unlike Mike, Jay, Rich and possibly Josh (I have zero clue on him I assume he tends to run the behind the scenes of the site and store). But at this point he is one of the main guys even if technically a guest and I DO really love Jack since he brings a more positive bubbly cynicism... if that even makes sense lol
Since PreRec ended he's just likely around less, so showed up less frequently as a guest.

And I do know what you mean with his sort of cynicism, it's the most "yes and" of the group. If Jack did improv I would not be surprised.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since PreRec ended he's just likely around less, so showed up less frequently as a guest.

And I do know what you mean with his sort of cynicism, it's the most "yes and" of the group. If Jack did improv I would not be surprised.
this is probably the biggest negative of pre rec ending. I've been watching the pre rec sessions when Jay popped by and if Jay had popped by more and they just talked about movies for 2-3 hours I wouldve popped by more to the stream.