• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kurtzman was involved with the movies, and he's involved with Discovery too, right? Like, given those facts, how can you not come to the conclusion that Picard will turn out underwhelming too?
I've said it before, but I think people have an incorrect (or at least overly simplistic) view of Kurtzman.

In 1997, Kurtzman and Orci started writing for "Hercules the Legendary Journeys", and Sam Raimi apparently really liked them (well enough to bring them back repeatedly).

Then JJ Abrams hired them to write for "Alias", and JJ taught them how to produce, and how to successfully put together a TV show.

Then Michael Bay hired them to write "The Island" (one of Michael Bay's least-bad movies), and he liked them enough to bring them back to write Transformers. But Transformers was a terrible movie and there are reports that K&O did not have a good time on that movie, and much of the bad writing came from Michael Bay. But K&O still showed up and did their job.

Then K&O co-created "Fringe" with JJ Abrams and most people seem to love it.

And then Transformers 2 was absolutely horrible, and K&O quit after it was done, and the writing in the movies never got any better, not until Michael Bay was removed from the director's chair (Travis Knight's quasi-reboot "Bumblebee" is easily the best Transformers movie since 1986, and it's a shame RLM hasn't given it any love, but it's easier/more funny to dunk on the Bayformers movies).

Then JJ got hired to reboot Star Trek, and he hired K&O to write it because he liked them. A bunch of Trek fans hate this movie and call it the beginning of the end of the Trek they loved, but they mostly hate the flashy modern aesthetic, not the weak writing. At the very least, the writing in new-Trek isn't really worse than the TNG movies (because Paramount plainly doesn't want TNG, and hasn't wanted that for years, they want Trek-branded blockbusters).

And then Hasbro hired the castoff writers of Transformers 2 to produce their newest cartoon, and wouldn't you know it, "Transformers Prime" turned out to be debatably the best Transformers cartoon ever made. And the theory on how that happened says that K&O were "hands off" producers who gave the show's writers a lot of freedom to write whatever it was that they wanted to write, because they knew what it felt like to work for assholes who always think they know better and constantly interfere with your work. Basically, Transformers Prime was great because K&O stepped back and let the writers do what they were good at.

K&O also produced "Sleepy Hollow", which was well-liked (at least at first, it eventually fizzled out and got cancelled, as many shows do).

They wrote Amazing Spiderman 2, but that was them coming in to try and salvage an existing disaster (the misguided Amazing Spiderman reboot, and Sony's desire to "Avengers it" with the Sinister Six).

Star Trek Into Darkness was a disaster and who really knows the full story of why that was, but it did result in a fracture of the K&O teamup, and Orci (the one who was the 9/11 truther of the duo) was cut loose.

Kurtzman was involved as a producer on Star Trek Discovery, but he hardly set the pace for the show. He was just a legacy Paramount kept around for an additional sense of security. And that turned out to be prudent, because Discovery's actual showrunners turned out to be toxic assholes who abused staff, before having meltdowns and quitting and leaving the show hanging in limbo. Discovery only exists because Kurtzman is competent enough to know how a show is put together in their absence. And hey, some people were even saying that season two was better than season one. Imagine that.

And now, he's apparently managed to do the impossible and convinced Paramount that TNG is desirable? I mean, I don't wanna get my hopes up for the Picard show, but it's clear that Kurtzman has already accomplished something amazing. And he's done a bunch of other stuff like greenlit a Star Trek cartoon, and hired talented young writers for it from Guillermo del Toro's excellent "Trollhunters" (minus del Toro, of course).

I'm cautiously optimistic to see if Kurtzman's efforts pay off. I can't say I've ever seen anything saying he's a good writer, but I think there's a lot of reason to believe he's a good producer.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I've said it before, but I think people have an incorrect (or at least overly simplistic) view of Kurtzman.

In 1997, Kurtzman and Orci started writing for "Hercules the Legendary Journeys", and Sam Raimi apparently really liked them (well enough to bring them back repeatedly).

Then JJ Abrams hired them to write for "Alias", and JJ taught them how to produce, and how to successfully put together a TV show.

Then Michael Bay hired them to write "The Island" (one of Michael Bay's least-bad movies), and he liked them enough to bring them back to write Transformers. But Transformers was a terrible movie and there are reports that K&O did not have a good time on that movie, and much of the bad writing came from Michael Bay. But K&O still showed up and did their job.

Then K&O co-created "Fringe" with JJ Abrams and most people seem to love it.

And then Transformers 2 was absolutely horrible, and K&O quit after it was done, and the writing in the movies never got any better, not until Michael Bay was removed from the director's chair (Travis Knight's quasi-reboot "Bumblebee" is easily the best Transformers movie since 1986, and it's a shame RLM hasn't given it any love, but it's easier/more funny to dunk on the Bayformers movies).

Then JJ got hired to reboot Star Trek, and he hired K&O to write it because he liked them. A bunch of Trek fans hate this movie and call it the beginning of the end of the Trek they loved, but they mostly hate the flashy modern aesthetic, not the weak writing. At the very least, the writing in new-Trek isn't really worse than the TNG movies (because Paramount plainly doesn't want TNG, and hasn't wanted that for years, they want Trek-branded blockbusters).

And then Hasbro hired the castoff writers of Transformers 2 to produce their newest cartoon, and wouldn't you know it, "Transformers Prime" turned out to be debatably the best Transformers cartoon ever made. And the theory on how that happened says that K&O were "hands off" producers who gave the show's writers a lot of freedom to write whatever it was that they wanted to write, because they knew what it felt like to work for assholes who always think they know better and constantly interfere with your work. Basically, Transformers Prime was great because K&O stepped back and let the writers do what they were good at.

K&O also produced "Sleepy Hollow", which was well-liked (at least at first, it eventually fizzled out and got cancelled, as many shows do).

They wrote Amazing Spiderman 2, but that was them coming in to try and salvage an existing disaster (the misguided Amazing Spiderman reboot, and Sony's desire to "Avengers it" with the Sinister Six).

Star Trek Into Darkness was a disaster and who really knows the full story of why that was, but it did result in a fracture of the K&O teamup, and Orci (the one who was the 9/11 truther of the duo) was cut loose.

Kurtzman was involved as a producer on Star Trek Discovery, but he hardly set the pace for the show. He was just a legacy Paramount kept around for an additional sense of security. And that turned out to be prudent, because Discovery's actual showrunners turned out to be toxic assholes who abused staff, before having meltdowns and quitting and leaving the show hanging in limbo. Discovery only exists because Kurtzman is competent enough to know how a show is put together in their absence. And hey, some people were even saying that season two was better than season one. Imagine that.

And now, he's apparently managed to do the impossible and convinced Paramount that TNG is desirable? I mean, I don't wanna get my hopes up for the Picard show, but it's clear that Kurtzman has already accomplished something amazing. And he's done a bunch of other stuff like greenlit a Star Trek cartoon, and hired talented young writers for it from Guillermo del Toro's excellent "Trollhunters" (minus del Toro, of course).

I'm cautiously optimistic to see if Kurtzman's efforts pay off. I can't say I've ever seen anything saying he's a good writer, but I think there's a lot of reason to believe he's a good producer.
This is a very well researched and well thought-out write-up.

It feels out of place here.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Kurtzman & Orci hate is direct result of nerd rage. They are nowhere near being as bad as internet thinks they are, especially compared to some other writers making success in this industry. As for Kurtzman being involved in new Picard series, let's remember that one of the best shows of this decade was written by the guy who previously did such masterpieces as Superhero Movie, Identity Thief, and Hangover sequels.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
That lawnmower safety song is like halfway to a Matt Stone & Trey Parker piece of music.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God just watched the tricky people part.

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to put children in situations such as a photographer taking suggestive pictures of them?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
If only Kurtzman's past track record gave us any reason to doubt Rich's prediction. Alas.

I would not approach Fallout 76 DLCs with an open mind and I see no need to treat any future Trek properties any differently.
Kurtzman has done some great things in the past, he's hardly the hack people want him to be, read Cheerilee's post above.

But ultimately I'm okay with nerd rage when it comes from random people online, not that I agree with it but whatever. I simply have higher expectations from a company with its own studio space that produces professional reviews. What they delivered for Discovery is an embarrassment.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Oh my God just watched the tricky people part.

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to put children in situations such as a photographer taking suggestive pictures of them?

lec5sv9.gif

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad they finally figured out how to do the Black Spine edition correctly. This episode was fantastic.

And clearly Jack reads Resetera, since he "gave the people what they want" with Jay and California Big Hunks.

that California hunks video appeared in a old episode of Whose Line is it Anyway. don't ask me how i know this.

Man I miss that show. Haven't watched the new season yet.

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I think they just keep on doing shows with Rich because of his laughter.
Usually his input on stuff seems so worthless and shallow to me. But he is entertaining.

That bald dude with the glasses is the exact opposite.
He has some good insights on stuff, but is so boring I cannot even remember his name after watching a quadrillion shows with him.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Usually his input on stuff seems so worthless and shallow to me. But he is entertaining.

He has some good insights on stuff, but is so boring I cannot even remember his name after watching a quadrillion shows with him.

His name is Max.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

Rich's summaries of bizarre shit like Ryan's Babe, Double Down, and Lethal Ninja have earned him a permanent spot on the roster imo. Rich has made me laugh harder then any other RLM member.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Rich is officially a member of RLM as in he was actually hired and it's his main occupation. He's a funny guy but yeah he works best alongside Mike because he's Mike's punching bag and the duo works best that way.

As to "the bald guy with glasses" could be either Jack (not Moby clone) or Josh (the one who still has some hair and a massive beard). They're both basically the unofficial fourth and fifth members of Red Letter Media because this isn't their primary job but they're the two longest friends the main trio has ever had who they basically do everything with together. I'm sure if the patreon was enough to sustain all 5 of them they would have been hired by now.

I used to not like Jack or Josh but after rewatching RLM content from earlier to modern episodes time and time again, they grew on me and they each have their role.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I like Josh, but I love Jack. He always has great insight into stuff and he's usually funny.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
One of the producers of "California Big Hunks" gave a shout out to RLM

Surprisingly, they are still putting out stuff.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Just had this show up in my recommendation feed.

You can literally see Jay stealing Mike's youth as the video progresses.

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Jay posted his thoughts on Midsommar on Twitter, which I don't think he usually does if they're doing a HitB on a movie?

They should bring Simon Barrett back to discuss it as he really enjoyed it. Hell they should have him back for some re: views of deep cut horror movies; he might trump even Jay on knowledge of that stuff.

Deleted member 37303

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Update

Hey everyone. Heads up the next video we have coming out is a re:View of John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness with Jay and Colin. That will be up later this week. We shot several re:Views and a Best of the Worst while the Canadians were in town but it'll be a little while before more come out since we also have a Star Wars prediction video with Mike and Rich that is shot and going to be edited soon as well as another Best of the Worst with Macaulay Culkin AND another special Best of the Worst we're filming today! It's been a while since we've had this much stuff shot all at once and waiting to be edited. So we're taking a little break from Half in the Bag to focus on all this stuff (we haven't seen Spider Man and honestly don't really care about it, Midsommar is okay but not great). So I think that's it for now byeeeeee

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excited for In the Mouth of Madness. Finally another re:View for a movie I've seen!

Also, fingers crossed for today's special BotW to be the return of Len.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Excited for In the Mouth of Madness. Finally another re:View for a movie I've seen!

Also, fingers crossed for today's special BotW to be the return of Len.
They haven't given any heads up on the patreon that Len is visiting, so I wouldn't get my hopes up unless you see on someone's Twitter that he's there. And I don't know if anybody cares enough about Len for it to be a big secret surprise that they are filming with him.

As to no Hitb over Spiderman or midsommar I'm actually not bothered by it. The more time passes by the less I care about half in the bag. The skits and fun about it seems to have largely dwindled away since they stopped doing the crazier skits with other people involved like years prior.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
I always love it when people who produced crap years ago post a comment. Seeing the comment from the guy who made genesis space was hilarious.

They even followed up with a question about the target audience

There is another tweet in their timeline where they post the ad they had in playgirl. $40 for the VHS or beta + $4 shipping!

PS. Fuck the RLM subreddit. I submitted the other tweet from the California Big Hunk producers under their archaic rule of no self-posting non-RLM content and it was still deleted.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They haven't given any heads up on the patreon that Len is visiting, so I wouldn't get my hopes up unless you see on someone's Twitter that he's there. And I don't know if anybody cares enough about Len for it to be a big secret surprise that they are filming with him.

As to no Hitb over Spiderman or midsommar I'm actually not bothered by it. The more time passes by the less I care about half in the bag. The skits and fun about it seems to have largely dwindled away since they stopped doing the crazier skits with other people involved like years prior.
I care.. :(

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Im sure you and others like him haha, I'm just saying that they've been fairly open in the patreon on information. They're only a little hush hush when it's an exciting guest at first but ultimately reveal him (like with Culkin). Len has his fans but I don't see a reason they'd be super secretive on the patron that they're filming episodes with him in secret. But maybe they reveal that on the next update, you never know.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im sure you and others like him haha, I'm just saying that they've been fairly open in the patreon on information. They're only a little hush hush when it's an exciting guest at first but ultimately reveal him (like with Culkin). Len has his fans but I don't see a reason they'd be super secretive on the patron that they're filming episodes with him in secret. But maybe they reveal that on the next update, you never know.
It's all good, I'm sure you're correct. I'm just glad they're pumping out so much great content.