• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I went through the other thread. Much like the whole Mike Mattei situation with AVGN, I treat each video as a segment of itself. Since James doesn't do much Nerd vids, it's not much I am missing (I did check out that Rental Review with Arlo, but wasn't interested further as I didn't like that series)

I had to ignore that thread. I honestly feel anything I would say would get me banned, or harassed, and moderation here lately has been VERY iffy. Forgetting I am both a bisexual and a minority person that, yes, found a lot of the old things of RLM offensive, but in the way I roll my eyes at the word 'fag' in old movies. I notice it and move on within context. Hell, I regularly quote Rich when he says "Go get laid. I GOT LAID" even if it may seem rather rude to people.

I acknowledge it. And they are not my only source on movies.. but I can find little else that can entertain like the Black Label videos, and craziness like that.

We shall see. I'll keep an eye on things. But after the thread, and the Dog Bounty Hunter crap, Lord forbid people look into my teenage years, when I was a self righteous Christian bigot.. :/

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
There have been users banned in that thread though, and apparently many, many reports submitted. The whole thread is a bit of a dogpile from the start though.
Yeah, any threads where things get heated it's best to steer clear of,espwcially when you have a conflicting opinion.

I know someone who was banned in the thread about Michael Scott from The Office being a racist, for disagreeing with the premise (or at least not agreeing with it as strongly as most of the others posting). They werent even being aggressive about it, but they still got on the wrong side of a mod and were banned.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Yeah, any threads where things get heated it's best to steer clear of,espwcially when you have a conflicting opinion.

I know someone who was banned in the thread about Michael Scott from The Office being a racist, for disagreeing with the premise (or at least not agreeing with it as strongly as most of the others posting). They werent even being aggressive about it, but they still got on the wrong side of a mod and were banned.
It also depends on the subject. I swear on the gaming side? Half the time I report obvious trolls, nothing is done until days later. And not even on busy topics, shit like the Epic store, WITH THE STAFF POSTING, and people still troll for pages

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more tired of the "guess this site's not as progressive as we thought" or "stuff from the old site is infecting this one" garbage that always gets posted in those kind of threads. It's so pointless and self-aggrandizing.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more tired of the "guess this site's not as progressive as we thought" or "stuff from the old site is infecting this one" garbage that always gets posted in those kind of threads. It's so pointless and self-aggrandizing.

People will find a way to snipe, even in a thread where a mod explicitly said that's not fair game. It would be this way even if RLM was the most progressive outlet around. There's no point engaging, especially with people that think RLM is equally bad as something/one like Sargon.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure they'd care.
because I feel like they're reasonable enough to understand why people (including me) have a problem with those comments. or do they dismiss any kind of critique towards them?

I said it before, they're just in dire need of some female opinions. hell, if you're afraid of women, start with drag queens! jaymes mansfield is engaging into youtube collabs recently and he's from milwaukee! (although, I don't know how comfortable he'd be)

Sephiroth503

Oct 26, 2017
I find that thread quite disappointing. I don't post very often, just like to read news and opinions here mostly, but that thread reads a lot like the type of thing that happened in the final days of the old place.

The Internet extremes of "You are either fully with me or fully against me" are in full effect and even after a staff post trying to nip it in the bud you have some posters openly arguing against the decision. You just know full well that there are more people who think that as well but are more clever than to openly question a staff post.

When this place started everyone was so chilled and polite. We're just back to where we were now and it makes it harder to escape to this site and read up on things (I actually thought having seen the Star Wars video that an interesting discussion could be had on the the time travel theory) and instead it's the same old same old that so many threads here across all topics devolve to.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Please have that theory be correct, it would be absolutely amazing for all the wrong reasons.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really see any point in engaging in etcetera RLM threads. All the very valid criticism in them is already very well-trodden ground, and since nothing seems to be happening, you're just going to get a bunch of people slowly going towards extremes until something happens. But it is always funny to see a couple of stragglers come here and post their usually fairly disingenuous takes and just take off whenever one of those threads pops up.

Banning RLM on this site would be absurd, but if they were banned, I probably wouldn't really care. I generally like this thread and the people in here, but it is very inactive.

I couldn't agree more with the "ditch Rich" post, though. He makes a good joke now and then, but otherwise I've come to really kind of dislike Rich over the last couple of years.

A bit off-topic, but I don't necessarily disagree with the former when it comes to stuff like obesity, mental health, non-conventional relationship types and so on. Threads related to those topics are almost always terrible.

But I agree, the painting of the whole community with a broad brush is getting particularly tiresome. I keep seeing it everywhere in etcetera nowadays. It really just seems like pointless whining.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
My friend approached me with a theory after watching the prediction video yesterday. I want it to be true so badly, because as JJ said, "Fuck it!" Just go crazy!

Rey is Shmi Skywalker

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because I feel like they're reasonable enough to understand why people (including me) have a problem with those comments. or do they dismiss any kind of critique towards them?

I said it before, they're just in dire need of some female opinions. hell, if you're afraid of women, start with drag queens! jaymes mansfield is engaging into youtube collabs recently and he's from milwaukee! (although, I don't know how comfortable he'd be)
Rich mentioned before that Mike largely ignores any interaction with the fans, and that if you did happen to get through to him, it wouldn't go the way you want, because Mike is a contrarian, and if you ask him to tone something down, he'll usually turn it up just to piss you off.

Rich is probably at the point where he regrets interacting with the fans as much as he did. I remember he apologized for a couple of things early on, but then people found more and more things to complain about, and eventually Rich stopped apologizing and became belligerent. I'm guessing that pointing him towards that thread would be counterproductive.

you can have it here.
I just watched a Collider video where they were talking about Mike's theory (jump to 7:45 if you want to skip the intro).

TL:DW... one of the things they mentioned is that time travel is already canon in the new Star Wars canon, because Star Wars Rebels (the cartoon) did it.

The one guy says he hates the idea so much, he'll ragequit Star Wars if they actually try to time travel "fix" Episode 9 (the purported end of the Star Wars saga).

They're currently having trouble trying to define what the new trilogy "is", and need to wait for Episode 9 before drawing any real conclusions on the new trilogy, where it was always more clear what the Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy "were" (even one or two movies into those trilogies). It makes it hard to predict what the heck Episode 9 is going to do. The one guy seems convinced that the new trilogy is about "the balance of the Force".

They note that time travel is more of a Star Trek concept than a Star Wars concept, and the other guy notes that JJ is a fan of both, and that he injected a bit of Star Wars into his Star Trek. Would JJ similarly try to inject some Star Trek into his Star Wars? Also, the other guy noted that the TNG episode "The Best of Both Worlds" successfully used time travel for the end of the TNG saga. Would JJ think he could do the same?

Overall though, they think Mike's theory is great fun to talk about, but it probably has a snowball's chance in Hell of actually happening. But if it does, the one guy's gonna ragequit.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rich mentioned before that Mike largely ignores any interaction with the fans, and that if you did happen to get through to him, it wouldn't go the way you want, because Mike is a contrarian, and if you ask him to tone something down, he'll usually turn it up just to piss you off.

Rich is probably at the point where he regrets interacting with the fans as much as he did. I remember he apologized for a couple of things early on, but then people found more and more things to complain about, and eventually Rich stopped apologizing and became belligerent. I'm guessing that pointing him towards that thread would be counterproductive.

I feel like that's a reaction to those who yell cancelled, unsubscribed, literal nazis when they disagree. I don't know how patreon works, does it have a platform where people discuss topics and news related to RLM and is there some interaction between the hack frauds and the fans? I know some have a patreon-exclusive discord channel for that.

I just watched a Collider video where they were talking about Mike's theory (jump to 7:45 if you want to skip the intro).

TL:DW... one of the things they mentioned is that time travel is already canon in the new Star Wars canon, because Star Wars Rebels (the cartoon) did it.

The one guy says he hates the idea so much, he'll ragequit Star Wars if they actually try to time travel "fix" Episode 9 (the purported end of the Star Wars saga).

They're currently having trouble trying to define what the new trilogy "is", and need to wait for Episode 9 before drawing any real conclusions on the new trilogy, where it was always more clear what the Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy "were" (even one or two movies into those trilogies). It makes it hard to predict what the heck Episode 9 is going to do. The one guy seems convinced that the new trilogy is about "the balance of the Force".

They note that time travel is more of a Star Trek concept than a Star Wars concept, and the other guy notes that JJ is a fan of both, and that he injected a bit of Star Wars into his Star Trek. Would JJ similarly try to inject some Star Trek into his Star Wars? Also, the other guy noted that the TNG episode "The Best of Both Worlds" successfully used time travel for the end of the TNG saga. Would JJ think he could do the same?

Overall though, they think Mike's theory is great fun to talk about, but it probably has a snowball's chance in Hell of actually happening. But if it does, the one guy's gonna ragequit.
"I want them to listen to the fans but don't change anything!"

...what?

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, just seen the thread in OT. What even prompted it this time, the Star Wars prediction video? Or is it just that time of the year again?

Oct 28, 2017
The very idea that a sitewide ban of RLM was even suggested/considered is laughable. Just like how mods now preemptively lock threads related to Joe Rogan. Might as well just prevent users from linking YouTube altogether.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned:(5 days) Inflammatory generalizations, dismissive to examples of sexism, bigotry, and possess previous infractions
Holy shit, just seen the thread in OT. What even prompted it this time, the Star Wars prediction video? Or is it just that time of the year again?
IIRC somebody posted the SW9 prediction video in EtcetEra and it got derailed hard within 2 posts and subsequently locked and I guess it just riled up the usual cancel crew.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Have they given any updates on when to expect new BotW's? Or just that they're being made?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
so, uh... do we have a discord?

I know at one point we did I dunno if I removed myself from it or if it was deleted. I wouldn't worry about it too much I really doubt they're gonna ban discussion of rlm on this forum.

The only time OT's have been deleted/banned were when they got nasty and bullied each other like the nba OT, or kept pushing the envelope of what was acceptable like figurine OT. For the most part this thread stays pretty self contained.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Yeah, I'm not engaging with that. I'm gay and vote left wing consistently. I know where my priorities lie. I can also enjoy the crudeness of RLM. I can be a fan of Disney-owned SW and RLM at the same time, even when they consistently trash on it. They have plenty of great content that I appreciate. Best of the Worst, re:VIew and the Culkin stuff recently has been top notch. They are working on a new collaboration with Patton Oswalt and I can't wait for that.

Jay has always been my favorite from that group; he has the best record when it comes to not saying questionable things. But he is at his best when he's playing off the rest of the cast, like they all are. Look at how glowing they were in the Suspiria video that examined both films, I don't think they have any toxic agenda. If they had more women or POC among them it would be a net positive, but after seeing the hate campaign that targeted Critical Role over similar matters, I want no part in that.

Also if ERA wants a film-oriented Discord that is pro RLM that that's where I'd be.

Last edited:

Sephiroth503

Oct 26, 2017
It would be funny, because it would be the least earned thing ever, in stark contrast to Endgame. I hope they do it just for the laughs.

When I watched the trailer originally it never crossed my mind that they would do time travel, but the more Mike spoke about the more I was thinking it sounded plausible. What they described about the spiritual battle between Luke and Palpatine simultaneously with Rey Vs Kylo is exactly what I expect to happen, but since they are hyping this up as the last film of the saga I now can't help shake the fact that they may try some kind of time travel thing as a send-off to alot of the old characters.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the issue is that certain people here just can't stand off-color humor. It's not enough for them to dislike it and tell you why it's wrong, they have to claim that you're a bad person for liking off-color humor and you should be banned for it. It feels like a disturbing form of gate-keeping. "You're not progressive enough and should be cast out."

I will admit, the hack frauds will say things that are stupid or wrong. Their long rant on Brie Larson was one of the dumbest things they ever did. And if they do or say something stupid I will not agree with it. But most of the time they put out entertaining content.
It's not like their JonTron and going on two hour rants about "foreigners tampering the gene pool" or other Stormfront talking points.

Anyway, I hope the next Star Wars doesn't resort to time travel. I'm just hoping it's something less dumb like Palpatine's force ghost possessing someone.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Anyway, I hope the next Star Wars doesn't resort to time travel. I'm just hoping it's something less dumb like Palpatine's force ghost possessing someone.
They already have used time travel in Star Wars Rebels, just not in the movies. The groundwork for it is laid, but I'm not compelled by the so-called evidence some are touting about it happening in IX. I think it will be more like Palpatine's force ghost somehow still being around. Maybe it communicated with Kylo Ren via Vader's helmet and manipulated him. Maybe he was possessing Snoke's body the whole time. Maybe a lot of things!

Force flashbacks similar to what we saw in VII only prolonged into a longer sequence is rumored though, so that's the closest to time travel I'd be willing to agree would be included.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
They already have used time travel in Star Wars Rebels, just not in the movies. The groundwork for it is laid, but I'm not compelled by the so-called evidence some are touting about it happening in IX. I think it will be more like Palpatine's force ghost somehow still being around. Maybe it communicated with Kylo Ren via Vader's helmet and manipulated him. Maybe he was possessing Snoke's body the whole time. Maybe a lot of things!

Force flashbacks similar to what we saw in VII only prolonged into a longer sequence is rumored though, so that's the closest to time travel I'd be willing to agree would be included.

Yeah. Hopefully the Force Flashbacks are followed up on.

I'm just hoping that Disney does something new after wrapping up the Skywalker stuff. New characters, no connections to the Skywalkers.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just glad the mods sided with reason instead of listening to the angry mob that's trying to equate RLM with fucking Sargon.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the issue is that certain people here just can't stand off-color humor. It's not enough for them to dislike it and tell you why it's wrong, they have to claim that you're a bad person for liking off-color humor and you should be banned for it. It feels like a disturbing form of gate-keeping. "You're not progressive enough and should be cast out."

I will admit, the hack frauds will say things that are stupid or wrong. Their long rant on Brie Larson was one of the dumbest things they ever did. And if they do or say something stupid I will not agree with it. But most of the time they put out entertaining content.
It's not like their JonTron and going on two hour rants about "foreigners tampering the gene pool" or other Stormfront talking points.

I wanted to post this in the other thread, but it'll be drowned out by all the smugness going on.

I think people perceive era as some kind of pathway to eternal wokeness. a place we all try to reach. kind of like kingdom hearts.

but instead of working together to get to that place, we point fingers and accuse each other why we're not allowed to be there.

wouldn't it be better if we educate one another on why their jokes/opinions are problematic?

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
Been using re:views to kind of guide some of my random movie watching lately. Sunday night we watched "Re-Animator", which was awesome. That movie is absurd, and then keeps getting more absurd. Really enjoyed it.

Last night we watched "The Gate", and I really couldn't get into it. Going to watch the re:view of it tonight or tomorrow, but am anticipating the majority of it to be nostalgia, but we'll see. Some of the effects in it were pretty fun.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
User Banned (3 Days): Use of derogatory term ("SJW") supporting inflammatory generalizations
I wanted to post this in the other thread, but it'll be drowned out by all the smugness going on.

I think people perceive era as some kind of pathway to eternal wokeness. a place we all try to reach. kind of like kingdom hearts.

but instead of working together to get to that place, we point fingers and accuse each other why we're not allowed to be there.

wouldn't it be better if we educate one another on why their jokes/opinions are problematic?

While most of the time it's used by the alt-right to criticize anyone who remotely disagrees with them, I'll admit the term "sjw" really does fit some people who are always pushing further and further left and if you aren't close to their level you're either a bigot or an enabler of bigotry. I find that level often pushes people who would otherwise be left of center closer to a centrist or right policy since they're "always wrong".

And no, this is not a hand wave of Rich's horrible stream rant or some of the more questionable things RLM have said. The actual problematic content should be criticized as is, but it should not be an excuse to relitigate every piece of content they've ever put out to try and determine if the content was secretly bigoted in nature.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
Did anyone else get as irrationally angry as I did at that clip of JJ Abrams' son having his own Spider-Man comic? I'm sure I'm doing a lot of projecting here, but he had the confident air of someone that felt he deserved it and had earned his achievement through merit.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else get as irrationally angry as I did at that clip of JJ Abrams' son having his own Spider-Man comic? I'm sure I'm doing a lot of projecting here, but he had the confident air of someone that felt he deserved it and had earned his achievement through merit.
Not really, but it did piss me off that marvel hyped it up for it to be...that.

It'll be shit anyway.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
A: That responsibility doesn't exist.

B: Posting in that thread literally won't accomplish anything, except maybe you getting banned.

Save yourself some aggravation and just don't even bother.

this is basically the conclusion i came to. if people don't like it, that's fine. seems like if you don't fully agree with the topic you'll just get banned, so what's the point in engaging

anyway, the time travel prediction is definitely a possibility, but i foresee it as more of a contrived "bring the past into the future" sort of thing with force ghosts and shit

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
While most of the time it's used by the alt-right to criticize anyone who remotely disagrees with them, I'll admit the term "sjw" really does fit some people who are always pushing further and further left and if you aren't close to their level you're either a bigot or an enabler of bigotry. I find that level often pushes people who would otherwise be left of center closer to a centrist or right policy since they're "always wrong".

And no, this is not a hand wave of Rich's horrible stream rant or some of the more questionable things RLM have said. The actual problematic content should be criticized as is, but it should not be an excuse to relitigate every piece of content they've ever put out to try and determine if the content was secretly bigoted in nature.
You simply don't have to be some kind of oblivious privilege monster to see the clear difference between Mike and Jay wanking off about studio mandated diversity and some alt-right shithead organizing a boycott because the little mermaid is now black. Mike and Jay have numerous bad takes on representation in media. So bad they deserve to be banned? Honestly for the first time felt really out of step with the greater culture of ResetEra and was happy when the mod post made it clear that a ban wasn't on the table.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
this is basically the conclusion i came to. if people don't like it, that's fine. seems like if you don't fully agree with the topic you'll just get banned, so what's the point in engaging

Its tough since anyone who knows about RLM probably is/has been a big fan at some point in their life. I guarantee the most vitriolic responses are from people who are mad that the guys haven't really changed in their perspective/humor since Gorilla Interrupted. You can't force a few drunk guys from Milwaukee to evolve into bastions of society, so you eventually just hate them for letting you down.

Plus that Rich guys laugh is SO obnoxious.
4bgF9Hx.gif