• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
BewitchedThirstyEidolonhelvum-small.gif

I just watched The Nun, what the fuck, why did they make a monster movie instead of a horror movie?

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): User requested ban.
Wow I just looked at the last page, Alexandros and Mona were banned?

I asked for a ban in the shitstorm Etika thread, can one of you fucks ban me forever already? There is nothing less important in my life than this website, and its a really depressing place.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else get as irrationally angry as I did at that clip of JJ Abrams' son having his own Spider-Man comic? I'm sure I'm doing a lot of projecting here, but he had the confident air of someone that felt he deserved it and had earned his achievement through merit.

not into comics, haven't followed the project but when they showed that clip i thought JJ was sponsoring an aspiring comic writer or something. then part of my brain said man, that'd be funny if that was his son, he has the glasses and everything

but that's really what it is though. eh..

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I just looked at the last page, Alexandros and Mona were banned?

I asked for a ban in the shitstorm Etika thread, can one of you fucks ban me forever already? There is nothing less important in my life than this website, and its a really depressing place.
I don't blame you. I love how liberal this site is, but man can it be disappointing at times. Seems like that thread has reached its final phase - banning anyone who tries to defend RLM.

Hope the thread-creator is masturbating furiously to all the people getting banned. Time to follow the advice here and just set that thread to Ignore.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
There's perfectly valid reasons to critique RLM and hold their feet to the fire on some of the bullshit they've said. I'm mostly surprised by how serious people take the ENDLESS THRASH gif though.

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
on the flipside we got

mod edit: let's not link to sites like this

it's all just a contest who can point and laugh the loudest.

nothing has been achieved, though. but I guess, that's not a priority.

Last edited by a moderator:

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
There's perfectly valid reasons to critique RLM and hold their feet to the fire on some of the bullshit they've said. I'm mostly surprised by how serious people take the ENDLESS THRASH gif though.

The issue isn't critiquing them, insofar that you are critiquing them. Insisting that peoples agreement with the original argument is contingent on being able to engage in discussion is a greater problem than any one thread or even one site.

It's really not worth getting into here. It's just going to pollute this thread.

Oct 25, 2017
well, I've said my peace in that thread. With that, back to the topics at hand:

I want that Ewok death cult, with a "three eyed raven" style Palpatine (or Swamp Thing, if you prefer things a little Green-er), buuuuut... I kinda feel that we're missing a fairly obvious problem, and that is 'wtf happens to Finn then'. Because surely the whole "from enslaved to empowered" has to go somewhere, right?

I described it in my other post:
Star Wars just isn't the universe to suddenly start doing that unless there was a plan for it thematically. Like say: Finn & co restarting the Republic in a scene that mirrors the fall of it in the prequels (to thundering applause). Theme wise that would work across the trilogies: fall-rebellion-return. But if that's not there, then it's just another Game Of Thrones depiction of non-whites, and that will make the eventual disappointment feel that much worse.
(with superhero movies such a theme of 'anyone can be the hero' like in Into The Spiderverse is far more appropriate and logical to use)

Theme wise, this is what the trilogy SHOULD end on, if only because TLJ already set that up. The Jedi will not end, and the galaxy will rebel again. The only logical conclusion here is the reconstruction of the Republic by the end. Not by the Jedi or someone special, but by the people who are NOT "the past" (Kylo Ren misses this little paradox in his 'let the past die' line, the fact that he is the past too), that is: Finn and other nobodies who just happened to be there but also have to build the future.

BUT I think the time travel thing will be accurate. Maybe the plots will be that one is to close the loop and the other is open the unknown future.
That's kind of what I would do anyway.

Now, faaaaar stranger things: WHEN did they suddenly turn on JJ like that? I've been saying that shit for Years (years, dammit!) and after singing his praise for all this time (up until Cloverfield Paradox), now they suddenly go full Tim Burton on him? What happened there?

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Omg if they seriously do a time travel Star Wars movie.

Lmao. Bring it on please. The idea of that shit show is like the only way i think I'd be at all excited for this movie

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think Skywalker becomes a title, like Avenger.
Kylo turns, and they begin the formation of The Skywalkers. Or something like that. It was just an origin story! Thanos and the likes is the Emperor.

You got your permanent heroes and villains.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think Skywalker becomes a title, like Avenger.
Kylo turns, and they begin the formation of The Skywalkers. Or something like that. It was just an origin story! Thanos and the likes is the Emperor.

You got your permanent heroes and villains.
I'm leaning this way. Luke was the "Last Jedi" and from now on there are "Skywalkers" instead.

Also time travel.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Now, faaaaar stranger things: WHEN did they suddenly turn on JJ like that? I've been saying that shit for Years (years, dammit!) and after singing his praise for all this time (up until Cloverfield Paradox), now they suddenly go full Tim Burton on him? What happened there?

They've always kind of been like that with him, I feel. It became more apparent with the Star Trek films

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory modwhining, accumulated infractions.
Man. I had to just hit ignore on the Etc thread. And the OP, too, who was so thirsty to make sure every complaint got a new threadmark. As the thread descended into a dogpile and banfest it just got really difficult to stomach.

I'm hoping that if I can just use the ignore list feature I can enjoy the site a bit more than I have been, but it seems like toxic behavior by people who are ideologically aligned with the moderation's positions is bound to go unchecked, while crossing the moderation's personal beliefs will pretty much catch you a ban one way or another - usually because of the assertion that such disagreement constitutes "defending sexism," or "dismissing racism," no matter how careful the person is to say that they abhor sexist and racist actions they believe are happening, they just don't believe it is happening in this case. "Drive-by" is one that only comes out if you're not in lock-step, despite dozens of completely disingenuous, unsubstantiated, dismissive one-liners that are on the preferred side of a discussion flying by with no problem; it's a good catch-all if the mods just want to hit mute on someone who isn't down with the position being taken.

This is not to say RLM is above criticism, but the discussion is never about criticizing a thing someone said, it's a rush to make a broader judgement call on who the person is. In that kind of environment it is really difficult to make this case that "I don't think they're that kind of person - here's why," even though that's the exact question being begged when the OP begins a crusade to cancel someone. And it's difficult because going there to make the discussion about the kind of person they are is engaging more with the general than the specific complaint, which treads into appearing to "handwave" or "dismiss" or "defend."

I love how progressive this place is - the political threads are really fun for me for that reason, this is all just about the toxicity of the discussion trajectory that happens time and again and how moderation enables it. I don't notice it so much when the target is something I'm less familiar with, or if I agree unreservedly in the takedown in progress. In the case of RLM, it disturbed me quite a bit.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Man. I had to just hit ignore on the Etc thread. And the OP, too, who was so thirsty to make sure every complaint got a new threadmark. As the thread descended into a dogpile and banfest it just got really difficult to stomach.

I'm hoping that if I can just use the ignore list feature I can enjoy the site a bit more than I have been, but it seems like toxic behavior by people who are ideologically aligned with the moderation's positions is bound to go unchecked, while crossing the moderation's personal beliefs will pretty much catch you a ban one way or another - usually because of the assertion that such disagreement constitutes "defending sexism," or "dismissing racism," no matter how careful the person is to say that they abhor sexist and racist actions they believe are happening, they just don't believe it is happening in this case. "Drive-by" is one that only comes out if you're not in lock-step, despite dozens of completely disingenuous, unsubstantiated, dismissive one-liners that are on the preferred side of a discussion flying by with no problem; it's a good catch-all if the mods just want to hit mute on someone who isn't down with the position being taken.

This is not to say RLM is above criticism, but the discussion is never about criticizing a thing someone said, it's a rush to make a broader judgement call on who the person is. In that kind of environment it is really difficult to make this case that "I don't think they're that kind of person - here's why," even though that's the exact question being begged when the OP begins a crusade to cancel someone. And it's difficult because going there to make the discussion about the kind of person they are is engaging more with the general than the specific complaint, which treads into appearing to "handwave" or "dismiss" or "defend."

I love how progressive this place is - the political threads are really fun for me for that reason, this is all just about the toxicity of the discussion trajectory that happens time and again and how moderation enables it. I don't notice it so much when the target is something I'm less familiar with, or if I agree unreservedly in the takedown in progress. In the case of RLM, it disturbed me quite a bit.
Best way to enjoy the site is sticking to community threads imho, and threads for certain TV shows, games, films etc

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm looking forward to seeing what happens when the Patton Oswalt video drops

Oct 28, 2017
Mods are way too quick to ban people in these discussions, it's always "you love sexism/racism if you disagree with OP here, there is no other explanation".

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The RLM stuff is strange to me because I've had this conversation like 3 years ago back on the other forum, so it just seems so tired. I still watch them because I just accept it, but I never felt the urge to create a thread about it and go on a tirade expecting an echo chamber response.

Oh it's funny, because someone brought up AVGN in that thread (because it's 2015 guys), I was reminded that Patton Oswalt also shit on Rolfe for being a crybaby sexist man nerd, which makes me wonder what he thought of RLM's Ghostbusters review.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The RLM stuff is strange to me because I've had this conversation like 3 years ago back on the other forum, so it just seems so tired. I still watch them because I just accept it, but I never felt the urge to create a thread about it and go on a tirade expecting an echo chamber response.
I just quite watching them because of it around a year ago (apart from the latest Re:view, and even then wasn't feeling it) I just couldn't enjoy them anymore.

The only reason i still post in here, is because i like this community. For the most part.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I saw that in the other thread. That's an actual, legit example of people desperately looking for stuff to bitch about. And I'm usually the one calling out people who say that.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Oh it's funny, because someone brought up AVGN in that thread (because it's 2015 guys), I was reminded that Patton Oswalt also shit on Rolfe for being a crybaby sexist man nerd, which makes me wonder what he thought of RLM's Ghostbusters review.

I thought James Rolfe put out that video because he knew he would get tons of messages asking for a GB review.
He saw from the trailers he wasn't going to like it and out of love for the franchise just decided no, I'm not going to do it.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I thought James Rolfe put out that video because he knew he would get tons of messages asking for a GB review.
He saw from the trailers he wasn't going to like it and out of love for the franchise just decided no, I'm not going to do it.
Yeah, pretty much.

But it's easier to say he hates women or something and people like to keep saying it like 4 years later even long after people have forgotten the new movie. lol

Ishmael

Oct 27, 2017
I just quite watching them because of it around a year ago (apart from the latest Re:view, and even then wasn't feeling it) I just couldn't enjoy them anymore.

The only reason i still post in here, is because i like this community. For the most part.
"I like this community... for the most part" should be the slogan of ResetEra.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
CATS opens the same day as Star Wars. I'm calling it now that there will be a joke about that during their review.

although I'm secretly hoping they review CATS so I never have to watch it to see how weird it is.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Winterbeast was filmed in Newbury, Massachusetts. that explains a lot. bunch of weirdos. they're basically from Maine.