• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Rudy Ray Moore combing that little kids hair and leaving him to fall on the sidewalk and cry is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Rudy Ray Moore combing that little kids hair and leaving him to fall on the sidewalk and cry is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Why'd they leave that in the movie!?

I wonder if it's one of those things the crew has talked about before like with stunts gone terribly wrong where everyone involved was just like "Welp, I guess that has to go in the final edit," because how can it not.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Thank god for some RLM content today with all this Disney shit going on.

About half the threads in OT are Disney related today (and the other half to do with Trump in one way or another). Holy fuck this place is almost unreadable at times. The 'ignore thread' function is gonna be getting a serious workout tomorrow morning when I can be bothered to hide all this shit.

Sorry, just needed somewhere to vent.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank god for some RLM content today with all this Disney shit going on.

About half the threads in OT are Disney related today (and the other half to do with Trump in one way or another). Holy fuck this place is almost unreadable at times. The 'ignore thread' function is gonna be getting a serious workout tomorrow morning when I can be bothered to hide all this shit.

Sorry, just needed somewhere to vent.
my ignore list is a solid 70% Marvel/Star Wars topics. it's cool that people like what they like even if i don't get it but i swear half the topics are just rehashing some old complaint or issue that's been talked to death a million times already. like i don't get why we need the billionth topic on why Kylo Ren stinks instead of relegating that stuff to an OT.

that said, i will admit that i am eagerly looking forward to watching the Werner Herzog and Bill Burr scenes from The Mandalorian on YouTube whenever that thing comes out. just too weird and dumb for me not to be slightly interested in

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is just emblematic of how much of pop culture is now dominated by one goddamn company that wants to drown you in awareness of its brands; you can't escape it.

On a related note, that Mandalorian show has production value out the wazoo, but also looks like the most creatively bankrupt thing out of Star Wars since Darksaber. The shot of a collection of carbonite targets that was meant to tickle my nostalgia bone instead made me wince. I could hear Plinkett in my head listing out why that was dumb. It's of course possible that the most pandering stuff is in the trailers and at least it's going to only be 8 or 10 episodes so it'll have a damn story to tell (though I'd almost rather a pseudo-anthology show all over the galaxy with a silent bounty hunter as the only recurring character so it isn't just an endless stream of desert and snow planets for fuck's sake), but I'm not holding my breath for it.

I'm sure Giancarlo Esposito will be very good, at least; when isn't he?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
As a sheeple I'm super excited for both all the disney marvel/star wars stuff, and rlm's general cynicism about it

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
That's not your kid! Don't touch that kid.

iyAX0qr.gif

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Look, what's really important here is that Darksaber is really bad.

latest

I was way into the EU books the second I hit puberty because that apparently was a good way to focus my boundless hormonal energy, so I read even this crap.

Anyway, Kevin J. Anderson was a wiener who was very happy with himself for coming up with yet another fucking Death Star, but he doubled down on it by having the remnants of the empire not build the rest of the sphere around the laser weapon itself, so it looked like a massive floating cylinder in space. Ergo, Darksaber. He was so goddamn proud of himself he had a character congratulate another character on naming the Darksaber something so badass.

Even for Star Wars EU it was pretty wanky.

I then went on to listen to the entire Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy (wherein Lando, Lobot and the droids find the remnants of a precursor race and boring Baraka aliens have a regional dispute with the New Republic) on like thirty tapes on a Playskool tape player. Yes, I was an extremely cool 12 year-old.

I don't even know why I typed all that, but I think I've just talked myself into thinking that Star Wars is actually better off now in the hands of Disney.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a sheeple I'm super excited for both all the disney marvel/star wars stuff, and rlm's general cynicism about it
Ditto.

Like, I saw recently that someone was complaining that RLM's "Endless Trash" meme picture contained a picture of Wonder Woman, but Wonder Woman was not trash. But as part of the video (which was the "Fuck You it's Forever" video), RLM shit on a number of upcoming comic book movies like... Logan, Thor Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spiderman Homecoming, Wonder Woman (I'm sure DC won't fuck this up), and Justice League (I'm sure DC won't fuck this up).

And all of those movies except Justice League turned out great. I love them. But I'm not even slightly mad about RLM's joke. I thought (and still think, even in hindsight) that it was hilarious.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Look, what's really important here is that Darksaber is really bad.

latest

I was way into the EU books the second I hit puberty because that apparently was a good way to focus my boundless hormonal energy, so I read even this crap.

Anyway, Kevin J. Anderson was a wiener who was very happy with himself for coming up with yet another fucking Death Star, but he doubled down on it by having the remnants of the empire not build the rest of the sphere around the laser weapon itself, so it looked like a massive floating cylinder in space. Ergo, Darksaber. He was so goddamn proud of himself he had a character congratulate another character on naming the Darksaber something so badass.

Even for Star Wars EU it was pretty wanky.

I then went on to listen to the entire Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy (wherein Lando, Lobot and the droids find the remnants of a precursor race and boring Baraka aliens have a regional dispute with the New Republic) on like thirty tapes on a Playskool tape player. Yes, I was an extremely cool 12 year-old.

I don't even know why I typed all that, but I think I've just talked myself into thinking that Star Wars is actually better off now in the hands of Disney.
That's a dumb book, not a tentpole franchise film.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The dish does raise a good question. A CGI error seems unlikely, they would just use the previous 2 movies' surely? So it must be intentional, so either a flashback or timetravel.
I don't know. They knocked the rectangular dish off the Falcon escaping the cave at the end of Last Jedi and thus it needs a new dish. The dish in the Rise of Skywalker looks more like a half-circle than a full circle.

Last edited:

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only MCU stuff I've ever seen has been the first Iron Man, the last 5 minutes of the first Avengers, and Jessica Jones S1.

That said, Moon Knight is my favorite comic character of all time and I'm incredibly excited for the show.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Ditto.

Like, I saw recently that someone was complaining that RLM's "Endless Trash" meme picture contained a picture of Wonder Woman, but Wonder Woman was not trash. But as part of the video (which was the "Fuck You it's Forever" video), RLM shit on a number of upcoming comic book movies like... Logan, Thor Ragnarok, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spiderman Homecoming, Wonder Woman (I'm sure DC won't fuck this up), and Justice League (I'm sure DC won't fuck this up).

And all of those movies except Justice League turned out great. I love them. But I'm not even slightly mad about RLM's joke. I thought (and still think, even in hindsight) that it was hilarious.

The fact DC didn't fuck up Wonder Woman is still a miracle. I'm still not a big fan of how the plotline with Ares resolves (big, dump action scene to give wonder woman something to do). I always felt thematically that
there should be no physical Ares, and that it's just human nature to fuck up and cause war, which would make love interest sacrifice more impactful since he goes against that "all humans are selfish beings who cause conflict for their own selfish gain

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why'd they leave that in the movie!?

I wonder if it's one of those things the crew has talked about before like with stunts gone terribly wrong where everyone involved was just like "Welp, I guess that has to go in the final edit," because how can it not.

But even the setup doesn't make any sense. why's he combing random little kids hair? the 70s where a strange time in human history.

i watched the Mandolorian thing. seems good. if he never takes his helmet off like Dredd then I'm in. otherwise I ain't paying for Disney's dumb streaming service. who has the money and time for all these things.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
everytime someone has to make a new

"Why my opinion over why I (hate/love) Star Wars the Last Jedi deserves a millionth thread" or when someone makes an unrelated thread about Star Wars is grating.

All I want in life is another scene like in Solo

"What's your last name so I can register you in this flight?"

"I dont have one"

"Then I'm writing down here that you're flying Solo. HAN. SOLO"

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Montage of past films? Time travel here we go! Hype!
JJ might be trying to "pull an Enterprise" by turning the end of his story into the end of his story and the previous two stories, because his story is the end of everything. Which would of course be terrible (unless JJ decided to challenge himself by openly walking into the minefield of terrible, and trying to show that he can do it right).

But it's hilarious that Mike's crazy prediction still has a not-zero chance of coming true.

Also, some part of me thinks that maybe JJ saw Mike's prediction, and that's not where his story is going, but he decided to be a tease and throw out some false hints in that direction.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
JJ might be trying to "pull an Enterprise" by turning the end of his story into the end of his story and the previous two stories, because his story is the end of everything. Which would of course be terrible (unless JJ decided to challenge himself by openly walking into the minefield of terrible, and trying to show that he can do it right).

But it's hilarious that Mike's crazy prediction still has a not-zero chance of coming true.

Also, some part of me thinks that maybe JJ saw Mike's prediction, and that's not where his story is going, but he decided to be a tease and throw out some false hints in that direction.

My headcanon is that JJ saw Mike's prediction video, realized that it's better that what he had come up with and pivoted the story towards time travel in reshoots.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has time travel ever been part of any Star Wars story or lore?

I've never really engaged with any EU stuff, but time travel in Star Wars feels... odd.
In Rebels they used time bullshit. I thought it worked quite well.

I think they're going to use the thing in TRoS from Rebels. Don't know it'll work as good in ep IX, as it did in Rebels.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Look the only reason to do time travel now is to do bad memes.

Like go and meet Jar Jar and now he's Darth Jar Jar because fuck you audience.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Ummm, yes and no. Here i'll post a clip that might give you an idea. It'll be lacking a lot context though. So i apologise upfront if it's understandably confusing.

This is from the Rebels series finale two parter.

I have so many, many, many questions given that I only watched the first season of that show and it was just a standard Star Wars/smuggler thing that didn't seem anything special.

But somehow it's Chrono Trigger now? lol
Also I guess that's how they resolve the Ashokha thing?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have so many, many, many questions given that I only watched the first season of that show and it was just a standard Star Wars/smuggler thing that didn't seem anything special.
You should give the rest of the series a go. It gets much better.
But somehow it's Chrono Trigger now? lol
LOL. No no, it's just that one and only time.

In the last few hours i've started to think the whole reason they used it in Rebels was set up for TRoS.
Also I guess that's how they resolve the Ashokha thing?
Yeah kinda.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
You should give the rest of the series a go. It gets much better.

LOL. No no, it's just that one and only time.

Yeah kinda.

I also just watched the ending scene and it reminds me of KOTOR2. lol

So are they actually going to make a sequel based on that concept in a post ROTJ world. Heck, I guess they could set the cartoon after this new trilogy because why not.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also just watched the ending scene and it reminds me of KOTOR2. lol
I've never played the KOTORs
So are they actually going to make a sequel based on that concept in a post ROTJ world. Heck, I guess they could set the cartoon after this new trilogy because why not.
Nah, i don't think it's going to be time shennigans. Just Ashoka and Sabine looking for Ezra.

If that's what you mean. That's what you mean, right ? LOL.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played the KOTORs

Nah, i don't think it's going to be time shennigans. Just Ashoka and Sabine looking for Ezra.

If that's what you mean. That's what you mean, right ? LOL.
Yes, I didn't even think of them being the guardians of time skipping through the Star Wars timeline trying to hunt for him Quantum Leap/Chrono Trigger style lol

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I didn't even think of them being the guardians of time skipping through the Star Wars timeline trying to hunt for him Quantum Leap/Chrono Trigger style lol
Ohhh. LMAO.

Though i will say. (i've posted this a couple of times already today) i do think if they get a show, it'll be live action. But they'll make a cameo in The Mando first.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched the new BotW, which was great as usual. Based on what they showed, that movie seemed like it was on that border of "actually a good movie".

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i still think that time travel is too straight-up science fiction to the Star Wars' movies more typically 'science-fantasy' setting. beyond the banality of the politics stuff in the prequels, it just seems too potentially convoluted for a series that's typically been relatively simple parables about good and evil. on the other hand, they're apparently bringing back palpatine somehow so i wouldn't be incredibly shocked if it ends up being something that contrived.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
i still think that time travel is too straight-up science fiction to the Star Wars' movies more typically 'science-fantasy' setting. beyond the banality of the politics stuff in the prequels, it just seems too potentially convoluted for a series that's typically been relatively simple parables about good and evil. on the other hand, they're apparently bringing back palpatine somehow so i wouldn't be incredibly shocked if it ends up being something that contrived.

My thoughts also.

"Time travel" is a convenient mechanism for Abrams to try to deliver on wrapping up story arcs across the previous 8 main films while indulging in an ungodly amount of fan service. If they go down that path, we'll see whether they neatly pull toegther all the different strands or if it just ends up a spaghetti mess.

It worked for Endgame, but that had a longer term strategy. Even then, planned as it was, Endgame isn't without it's issues around time travel.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last movie has lack of fuel as a major story problem, something I'm not even sure has been mentioned in the 7 movies before it, or if it has only in a nothing line. Time travel via space magic seems more space fantasy than that.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I want time travel shenanigans in Episode 9 just to enjoy the inevitable shitshow that will ensue.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last movie has lack of fuel as a major story problem, something I'm not even sure has been mentioned in the 7 movies before it, or if it has only in a nothing line. Time travel via space magic seems more space fantasy than that.
yeah, though that wasn't a major plot point in the science fiction sense as it was so much an obstacle to frame Holdo and Poe Dameron's story and send Finn and Rose on a fetch-quest. i guess this is a tomayto tomahto thing, and maybe i'm wearing Trek-tinted goggles, but when i think of the typical sci-fi approach to a 'we're outta gas' storyline, i think the heart of that narrative comes from analyzing potential alternative sources of fuel, tracking down close sources, going on an away mission to retrieve it, etc. that's not to say elements of those things aren't present, but it seems to me the main purpose of them being out of fuel is to set up Poe and Holdo locking horns and Finn figuring out slavery is bad on Canto Blight.

as MarioW mentioned, Endgame mostly managed to pull off the time travel thing, but that's also a series that ranges from 'hard science' to space wizard scientists to characters who are planet gods. it also did the Looper thing of explicitly saying "look, don't think about this shit too hard." i don't think it's outside of the range of possibility, but if they do some kind of time travel stuff they either have to do some version of the 'look, it just works, don't think too hard' inner logic, or they're opening a pandoras box of nerds whining about plotholes.

that said, time travel via space magic also seems entirely plausible at this point. i'm used to that stuff in sci-fi and it just doesn't 'feel' like something that would show up in SW, but i would also not be surprised if it happened. as cynical as i am about these movies i do hope that isn't the case because it seems terrible, and if they do go down that path i hope they figure out a way to pull it off, but i can't picture it working.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I feel the only time travel that'll happen in RotS will be some force vision quest where Rey meets her parents and we get some tear jerker retcon that while they are "nothing" in terms of significance to star wars, they did love Rey and meant to come back for her but died before they could.