• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
the bit in the new video where they're mad at Disney for holding all the shows hostage or whatever didn't really ring true to me when it's an alternative to cable, which is owned by companies like Comcast that have literal monopolies in some areas over stuff like internet which is much more essential than the new star wars show

I know it's not supposed to be serious but it's just like... just don't subscribe if you don't want to lol

i think back to renting videos at the video store or god forbid BUYING a VHS for $30 back in the day and like... these streaming services are a fucking bargain in comparison.

you were naive if you thought the netflix utopia was going to last forever. was always obvious that it would eventually become a streaming war with like 30 different services all fighting for your $10 a month

the key is... not subscribing to everything. i subscribe to only one streaming service, and it's for my beloved japanese pro wrestling. that's it. i'll probably check out disney+ for a month at launch to watch the star wars shit and then unsubscribe until something i'm interested in pops up.

to me it's video rentals all over again. don't need to be a slave to streaming services and keep 10 subscriptions going continuously.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
It sucks, but the vibe I got from it is more "it's bad because they're hoarding all of the star wars shows which should be in theaters or on the service I already have" which kind of misses the forest for the trees lol

I figured the vibe was that Netflix came in as a cheap and better alternative than cable because of cable's higher price point and how they forced you to buy different packages to watch different channels.

With multiple exclusive shows spread across different streaming services, you have (I mean this is a 1st world problem let's be honest) to purchase a bundle of streaming services to watch stuff.

It seems like Nerd Crew was trying to show that we've traded in a bundle of cable packages for a bundle of streaming services.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think back to renting videos at the video store or god forbid BUYING a VHS for $30 back in the day and like... these streaming services are a fucking bargain in comparison.

you were naive if you thought the netflix utopia was going to last forever. was always obvious that it would eventually become a streaming war with like 30 different services all fighting for your $10 a month

the key is... not subscribing to everything. i subscribe to only one streaming service, and it's for my beloved japanese pro wrestling. that's it. i'll probably check out disney+ for a month at launch to watch the star wars shit and then unsubscribe until something i'm interested in pops up.

to me it's video rentals all over again. don't need to be a slave to streaming services and keep 10 subscriptions going continuously.
yeah. like it's annoying and most of them probably won't be successful, but it's this horrible thing lol

I figured the vibe was that Netflix came in as a cheap and better alternative than cable because of cable's higher price point and how they forced you to buy different packages to watch different channels.

With multiple exclusive shows spread across different streaming services, you have (I mean this is a 1st world problem let's be honest) to purchase a bundle of streaming services to watch stuff.

We've traded in a bundle of cable packages for a bundle of streaming services.
yeah but like... it's still better because you can pick and choose yeah. if you want to watch star wars shows rent the star wars service for a month for the price of one movie

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These Nerd Crew episodes get darker and more unnerving with every release. It's like it has taken a life of its own.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
That was amazing 😂😂😂😂

I cant tell if the Warner archive thing is real or not

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just going to break this Nerd Crew thing a bit and ask...

Do you think these guys would like the Dark Crystal show, or does that fall under the rather dumb label of "too kiddy, animation is silly" thing? (Even if it isn't)

I ask here because I rather not have the official topic go into freak out mode when I mention RLM.

Me, personally... I like seeing real things, and a touch of cgi when necessary

i dont know if they would like it, but they no doubt would respect the craft

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
There's definitely going to be consolidation again in the streaming space but it depends on how cheap it is to run these services on a case by case basis and the built in fan bases for franchise shows.

Franchise shows are going to be even more important than they ever were.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When they said that Disney bought Hasbro, I immediately thought to myself "Wait? Did they? Did I miss it?"

Disney has not (yet?) bought Hasbro, FYI.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I tried watching Twisted Pair knowing exactly what I was getting into and stopped after 10 minutes. I don't know how people do it... maybe it does require drugs and a group of friends.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"He's bitching about Star Wars. Is he alt-right?" I see Jay read that thread.
RLM is alt-right not because of anything they say about Star Wars. Their racist attacks on minorities and mocking of women and feminism has tended to not be in Star Wars videos. Most of their most egregious examples of strong racist and sexist views have been in Marvel videos in recent years.

We all know they are racist. We all know they are sexist. Just some are willing to look past it for entertainment value. Pretending like they aren't actually alt-right is not something anyone fans or otherwise should entertain in because that is a dangerous slippery slope. "I like them so their alt-right behavior must not actually be alt-right" is not a valid viewpoint here. Plenty of people here and all over watch content from awful people with horrible ideologies because they look past it for entertainment value, but let's not pretend their awful views don't actually exist.

They spout alt-right ideology. Constantly. That is clearly not up for debate anymore given the mountains of evidence. No one can watch the endless videos of them making racist comments and mocking of feminism and women and come away thinking they aren't alt-right, let's be honest.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
This one doesn't really touch the earlier nerd crew videos for me. It was okay, I guess.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The theme park joke would have worked a lot better if they did this episode closer to that infamous melt down.

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, I randomly picked Twisted Pair because it was the first movie I found... I had no idea they were going to do it for this episode. lol

Oct 29, 2017
Their recent Best of the Worst on Petey Wheatstraw is wonderful. I have many fond memories of discovering Rudy Ray Moore / Dolemite in high school and this is a film of his that I'd forgotten all about! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngrVbx5xoh0
My Grandmother used to make me watch Petey Wheatstraw when I was young. I didn't know anything about procreation at the time and really thought an kid could be born at 10.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thought. Mike says (about a minute into the video) "That's not an exciting shot." Jay says "For a car chase scene? Yeah." And Mike says "That's like rule number one. Going away from the camera is more exciting than coming towards it. Always."

But I don't think that's exactly a rule. A good car chase scene can have shots of the car coming towards the camera, and I don't think they're any less exciting than shots of the car going away from the camera. I think it just depends on the skill of the director. Like, the first place my mind went was to Gone in 60 Seconds (the original, not the stupid remake), and I'm just not seeing anything wrong with the shots of the cars coming towards the camera.

(Context of the scene, for any heathens who've never seen the movie, is "Man steals car.")

Edit: I just realized that they never said anything about James Doohan being a Canadian war hero. Like, they mentioned that he was a war hero, but not that he's Canadian, on an episode where the Canadians guest starred. Probably due to the lack of Mike, and his Trek-brain.