• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Skiptastic

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bummed that Breen wins again because they really seemed to love The Instructor. I was hoping that would win. Loved the conversation in this episode though I don't enjoy the Neil Breen stuff as much as some others do. Still a great episode.

Really needed it after that downer of a Nerd Crew. But I haven't loved that series in a long while so no shock there.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
gremlins 2 review in the work per the hitb. i feel like they already talked about it enough in their Gremlins 1 commentary track. not sure if they'll actually have much more to say. gremlin isn't that interesting.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
gremlins 2 review in the work per the hitb. i feel like they already talked about it enough in their Gremlins 1 commentary track. not sure if they'll actually have much more to say. gremlin isn't that interesting.
Gremlins 2 is a fucking crazy movie, though. I didn't think much of it as a child but it's weird as hell.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Can someone get me a screen cap of steven king cocaine from that review, tried on my phone but it ended up being too big for discord :(

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
new commentary track incoming. probably a spooky movie for Halloween (maybe Jay finally convinced them to do Halloween 3) but I'm sort of hoping it's First Blood. the new rambo movie looks bad but them talking about the original would be great.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Haven't seen the review of It yet, but if they didn't like the first one, I can't imagine them liking the second one. It had the same problems but without being nearly as charming.

EDIT - I was about right, but didn't expect Jay to be so hostile against it. I agree with his points, but I still found it entertaining enough.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I thought they liked the first one? I guess I'm just remembering wrong. I highly doubt I'll be seeing the sequel in quite a while, so I might as well check the review. I really, really enjoyed the first part, but I dunno, not feeling the second one right now.

BigAT

Oct 30, 2017
Watching the most recent BotW.

"Well he killed a guy on set, of course it's the last movie he ever made."

Pretty upset no one dropped a John Landis joke in response to this.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not gonna see the movie til it hits VOD so I won't be watching the video for awhile, so...what did they say this time? This Larson thing has been one of their biggest missteps of late.

You can skip to 30:00 for the Brie Larson "joke" without any fear of spoilers.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna see the movie til it hits VOD so I won't be watching the video for awhile, so...what did they say this time? This Larson thing has been one of their biggest missteps of late.
Hansel and Gretel type horror film, they asked who played the Witch and Mike said Brie with a pic of her and they both look awkwardly at the camera

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what they'd do if Brie Larson suddenly expressed legit interest in doing an episode with them.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
The Larson joke wasn't clever or funny, but on the other hand it saved us 20mins of Mike talking about bloody Star Trek.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of starting up a Star Trek conversation in this thread out of spite now.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I actually miss the star trek talk because I just have grown to not care about star wars. At least with star trek I never cared for it so there isn't any negativity lmao.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can skip to 30:00 for the Brie Larson "joke" without any fear of spoilers.
Hansel and Gretel type horror film, they asked who played the Witch and Mike said Brie with a pic of her and they both look awkwardly at the camera
UkFMAou.gif

I have no clue why they keep stepping in it. I guess they hate being told what to do.
There's some obvious idiotic stubbornness going on there, at the very least.
Nah. It's more like this.
RdzT42l.gif

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's some obvious idiotic stubbornness going on there, at the very least.
theyve always done it. When fans told them they hated the bait and switch they made the whole transformers saga of fake videos.

then ghostbusters got them in hot water, and they doubled the fuck down. Regardless of the points made in the plinkett video that were solid they act like 5 year olds when someone tells them to cool it with something. Luckily the times they do this shit are far apart enough it isn't like super grating.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
theyve always done it. When fans told them they hated the bait and switch they made the whole transformers saga of fake videos.

then ghostbusters got them in hot water, and they doubled the fuck down. Regardless of the points made in the plinkett video that were solid they act like 5 year olds when someone tells them to cool it with something. Luckily the times they do this shit are far apart enough it isn't like super grating.
And the only time that didn't happen was when the Internet got too creepy about Jessie being in the videos. That said, I cannot blame her for backing off when she did. It's just been such a boy's club since then and they could use some different viewpoints from time to time.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the only time that didn't happen was when the Internet got too creepy about Jessie being in the videos. That said, I cannot blame her for backing off when she did. It's just been such a boy's club since then and they could use some different viewpoints from time to time.
Back when i was still was fond of them. I really missed Jessie not being there.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rich said before, in one of the PreRec streams, that Mike is a huge contrarian. He said that it's pointless to write angry letters to Mike, because he puts effort into not engaging with the fans, but if your complaints do happen to get through to him, he'll probably do the opposite thing, just to try and make you mad, because he thinks it's funny to get a rise out of people.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Rich said before, in one of the PreRec streams, that Mike is a huge contrarian. He said that it's pointless to write angry letters to Mike, because he puts effort into not engaging with the fans, but if your complaints do happen to get through to him, he'll probably do the opposite thing, just to try and make you mad, because he thinks it's funny to get a rise out of people.
Despite me disagreeing about that "RLM and bigotry" topic in general, their contrarianism towards everything and throwing bones to the actual alt-right over time (like with the Larson stuff) gets...tiresome. They're so willing to take money from everyone and let just enough shitty stuff slip through that it keeps their cogs greased from the truly terrible side of humanity. It's really unfortunate and I wish they were better.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
their contrarianism towards everything and throwing bones to the actual alt-right over time (like with the Larson stuff) gets...tiresome. They're so willing to take money from everyone and let just enough shitty stuff slip through that it keeps their cogs greased from the truly terrible side of humanity. It's really unfortunate and I wish they were better.
I feel the same.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Funny how Mike hates the audience the most and is also the most popular save for Rich. You gotta wonder if what happened with Jessi early on soured him from the fanbase. I mean they used to go to conventions and even do fan interviews. Maybe they got too big and he doesn't know how to deal with being easily recognized.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite me disagreeing about that "RLM and bigotry" topic in general, their contrarianism towards everything and throwing bones to the actual alt-right over time (like with the Larson stuff) gets...tiresome. They're so willing to take money from everyone and let just enough shitty stuff slip through that it keeps their cogs greased from the truly terrible side of humanity. It's really unfortunate and I wish they were better.
yeah i agree totally. i don't totally expect much from a bunch of 40 year old insular shlock-obsessed film nerds from Milwaukee in terms of progressive views, but spending like half of a captain marvel review whining about Brie Larson's media appearances and shit that's at best of tangential importance is pretty obnoxious. that kind of shit comes off less as a 'thumb in the eye of the audience contrarian' point of view than just pandering to nerds who just kinda want validation that Brie Larson sucks

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I can get behind the RLM just because they called out Midsommar as being shit. Just as much as hereditary was junk.

But I'm not one of the OH THE PACING OH THE EDITING OH THE FRAMING

so I'm wrong I guess.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The sad thing with the Brie Larson joke is that it is a classic RLM joke, but because they had that rant about her that aligns with alt-right views, it feeds that narrative. It'a too bad they didn't make a joke about the witch being a man in this one, and that scar jo was gonna play them, as it would have had the same impact without feeding a narrative.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when/if the two of them actually read the book. They're so insistent that they've read it throughout both reviews that it makes me think they read it like 25 years ago, skimmed on wikipedia, or both

Jay saying that the second movie is just a more amped up version of the first is disappointing, and I'm not really in the mood to see it either. Maybe when it shows up on hbo streaming

SArcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder when/if the two of them actually read the book. They're so insistent that they've read it throughout both reviews that it makes me think they read it like 25 years ago, skimmed on wikipedia, or both

Jay saying that the second movie is just a more amped up version of the first is disappointing, and I'm not really in the mood to see it either. Maybe when it shows up on hbo streaming

Mike did say that he read it in high school and Jay said he read it shortly after the TV movie was released.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
I felt pretty much the same as Jay on IT2. After seeing the movie I told my wife I thought about asking if she wanted to leave, but only had 40 minutes left. I also almost fell asleep during climax. Then we came home and watched the hitb, and he hit all the points I was feeling.

The angel in the morning was so weird.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Brie Larson joke getting the exact desired reaction. Beautiful.
Being sexist to own the libs. Beautiful.

This is no different when people praise trump for upsetting the left when he says sexist or racist comments.

Being happy that it upset people doesn't excuse the fact it's yet another in a mountain of evidence of their blatant sexism towards women.

She isn't immune to being the butt of a joke.

Pushing for equality in movie criticism is worth making fun of?

What did she do that is worthy of being mocked over? I am curious to know. Other than being an outspoken critic of racism and sexism? Which is the only thing people seem to mock her for.

Bangai O

Oct 28, 2017
Gremlins 2 is like a live action Looney Tunes movies, it is so bonkers. It absolutely deseveres a review.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
new commentary track incoming. probably a spooky movie for Halloween (maybe Jay finally convinced them to do Halloween 3) but I'm sort of hoping it's First Blood. the new rambo movie looks bad but them talking about the original would be great.

well that makes me happy, i dont even watch the movie alongside the commentaries, i just put on my headphones and listen to them in bed at night