• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Thought Jay was overly negative tbh, but the best HitB episodes are the ones where they disagree.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel more often than not Jay is a bit more stuck up with films like these and Mike just watches it purely for entertainment purposes.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
Thought Jay was overly negative tbh, but the best HitB episodes are the ones where they disagree.

I think Jay has something against Todd Phillips and it went in with him when seeing Joker. I really liked what Mike had to say. Didn't really think about it being the "inverse" of the Batman origin.

Anyone watch that Jack stream with the Escapist yet? I wonder how he is when he isn't reading random tips and talking about movies/editing/talking with Jay.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I think Jay has something against Todd Phillips and it went in with him when seeing Joker. I really liked what Mike had to say. Didn't really think about it being the "inverse" of the Batman origin.

Anyone watch that Jack stream with the Escapist yet? I wonder how he is when he isn't reading random tips and talking about movies/editing/talking with Jay.
Yep, this somehow completed passed me by haha

Oct 2, 2018
Really sort of disappointed with this Half baked HITB episode. They didnt even conclude with "Hey jay would you recommend joker?". It just fizzled out.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
just got back from watching Joker. this movie is shit. people really going to be fooled by one good performance? that's not enough to save todd phillips hack directing. holy shit wtf.

it got a strong reaction out of me so I guess it's got that going for it. but whew not looking forward to all the dorks that love this movie and talk endlessly about it.

time to watch the hitb and have jay validate me.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame that Escapist is where Jack is going. They are aggressively "no politics" in a very political way.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ed...hing-leaving-politics-at-the-door-site.98370/

...Unless something has changed and they've improved in the last 8 months, in which case, please inform me.
Near as I can tell, Escapist was an internet videogaming news site, and then Gamergate happened, and the site's owner went full Gamergate, which turned the site into a shithole, and then the site crashed and burned.

Then Russ Pitts (one of the people who used to work for the original Escapist) had fond memories of working for the site, so he decided to relaunch it. He decided to wash his hands of the Gamergate situation by declaring neutrality.

Then he wrote some sort of article about Gamergate, which pissed off Zoe Quinn, which got him into a twitter argument with her.

He took down the article and apologized. A couple of days later he took a "leave of absence", which turned into a resignation.

Nick Calandra runs Escapist now.
I know you all will have a lot of questions about the future of Escapist, but for the most part, I'm going to let our content do the talking for us. You can make your judgments based on the merit of our work.

I know the history of The Escapist and I have no plans to retread it. We're charting a new course here, one that's focused on positivity, maturity, and inclusivity, while offering a place of escapism for those of us that want to read and talk about gaming, entertainment, and the culture that surrounds us all.
Everyone is welcome at the Escapist, but we will not tolerate any personal attacks on our editors or other community members. The same goes for hate speech, racism, bigotry, threats of violence, or targeted harassment. We will foster a positive community where users can have open discussions without the fear of being attacked by bad actors. We're not the old Escapist and our code of conduct reflects that. I hope you'll support the moderators in their work.

We will work with the community to continue to reestablish ourselves as an outlet that you're proud to visit.

Moviebob is anti-Gamergate, and he apparently recommended the new Escapist to Jack, and Jack to the new Escapist, so it should be fine.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
just got back from watching Joker. this movie is shit. people really going to be fooled by one good performance? that's not enough to save todd phillips hack directing

Joker is very competently made. You can critcize the script and certain other aspects for sure but on a technical level the movie is top notch. A hack he is not, clearly. Not any more at least.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Joker is very competently made. You can critcize the script and certain other aspects for sure but on a technical level the movie is top notch. A hack he is not, clearly. Not any more at least.

The very first frame of the movie is Joker in between a big window with bright sunshine and clouds and another window with a dark, brick building. Get it? gOoD vs eViL!!! That's 100% hackneyed film school level garbage. I can't stand that stuff. He's awful.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
I watched that Escaptist stream with Jack on the youtube page and wasn't all that engaged. Not really much banter, but the game they were playing (Hunt: Showdown) was fairly interesting but glitchy.

They also said that Jack is working on his own series with the escapist on top of the weekly livestreams. They didn't say what exactly the new series will be about.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what is Jack doing? I'm confused with the Joker Gamer lingo.
Jack is at Escapist now.

He's doing some livestreaming of videogames alongside other Escapist people.

(Jump to 5:45 to skip the elevator music)

He's also working on another new video series for Escapist, which hasn't been revealed yet.

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping for Jack taking over previously recorded and still having occasional guests from RLM. Shame it wasn't too engaging

Maybe he didn't want the expectation of RLM talk. I think they really didn't talk about it with the livestream he just did. He also gets the added audience of The Escapist's subscriber count. It looks like that is completely held up by Yhatzees content though. Looking at view counts outside Yhatzee the videos seem to average 30K to 60K and Pre Rec reviews did 80K with a lower subscriber count (and a shout out by the official RLM Twitter account).

He is probably also actually being paid for his time too. I think RLM just let Jack and Rich use the black spine room and the internet to steam with no monetary benefit outside steam tips and twitch subs.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I really need to watch Exorcist 3. I somehow own it, and yet never stopped to watch it. Well, not being able to view RLM content is always a good motivator for me.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Brad Dourif is just the fucking best.

There's this movie from the mid-00's called The Wild Blue Yonder that is effectively a documentary of divers in the antarctic (IIRC) interacting with local flora and fauna but it's intercut with Brad Dourif playing an alien talking about how weird the humans coming to his world and touching their animals is. And he sells it extremely well. I want to assume the footage was meant for something more straightforward but some producer decided a weird narrative would sell it better and they hooked him into playing an alien talking into a camera and it completely worked.

Edit: Oh, I just looked it up. It was a Werner Herzog movie. It all makes sense now.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exorcist 3 is fucking banging. Please watch it.

And if you liked it. Please check out this fan edit (wait wait, here me out) it says closer to the shooting script, then the director's cut that Scream Factory put out.

I know that may sound off putting, but at least read the description. Please.

(it does have spoilers i guess, if you care about that shit)

They didn't even mention that Brad Dourif was in an episode of Voyager (and was great in it because he's Brad Dourif).
He was in 3 eps.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even better. I just remember him blowing himself up or something?
Not exactly.

He was in the two part episode where the Kazon (god they were just a shit versions of Klingons) take over the ship, and strand the crew on some shithole planet.
But he and the Doctor are the only ones on the ship, and they do some guerilla warfare to help take it back.

Because they need to send an electric pulse through the ship to knock everyone out, but he dies in the process.

Here, i found the vid.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe me making his death a bigger thing than it was in my mind was a testament to his performance. Either way he was kinda great.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brad is nearly 70. He can't bang everything. He doesn't have that stamina anymore.
qpQ33yZ.gif

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even better. I just remember him blowing himself up or something?
Maybe me making his death a bigger thing than it was in my mind was a testament to his performance. Either way he was kinda great.
There was an explosion that "killed him" in that episode.

Suder was a psychopath whom even futuretech couldn't cure (even though they had cured all forms of psychopathy, but not Suder's unique brand of it). So he joined the Maquis so he could direct his homicidal urges in positive ways, towards people he was socially allowed to kill (the Cardassians). After getting roped into boarding Voyager with the merging crews, he went too long without killing, so he killed a random redshirt, just because he really really needed to kill someone. He got thrown in jail (aka confined to his quarters), which he agreed with, because he doesn't like being a killer.

When the Kazon attacked Voyager, his quarters got blowed up, and he was presumed dead. But he was hiding in the duct work, and the explosion merely broke the lock on his door. When the Kazon cleared the ship, he was overlooked, because presumed dead.

"Wow Suder, you've done a great job of eluding the Kazon invaders. Your new mission: Relapse, and kill the fuck out of everyone so we can have our ship back."

Suder: "Goddammit."

Suder kills everyone and then gets shot in the back by a dying Kazon. Problem solved! No more loose ends for Janeway to clean up.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was an explosion that "killed him" in that episode.

Suder was a psychopath whom even futuretech couldn't cure (even though they had cured all forms of psychopathy, but not Suder's unique brand of it). So he joined the Maquis so he could direct his homicidal urges in positive ways, towards people he was socially allowed to kill (the Cardassians). After getting roped into boarding Voyager with the merging crews, he went too long without killing, so he killed a random redshirt, just because he really really needed to kill someone. He got thrown in jail (aka confined to his quarters), which he agreed with, because he doesn't like being a killer.

When the Kazon attacked Voyager, his quarters got blowed up, and he was presumed dead. But he was hiding in the duct work, and the explosion merely broke the lock on his door. When the Kazon cleared the ship, he was overlooked, because presumed dead.

"Wow Suder, you've done a great job of eluding the Kazon invaders. Your new mission: Relapse, and kill the fuck out of everyone so we can have our ship back."

Suder: "Goddammit."

Suder kills everyone and then gets shot in the back by a dying Kazon. Problem solved! No more loose ends for Janeway to clean up.
I posted the video of that. 😞