• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If people are bored waiting for new RLM content, you could watch Jack talk randomly about videogames. Apparently he's doing this on a weekly basis now.

I keep forgetting to watch these but I thought the last batch were fine. He's given the opportunity to talk about games without having to play the latest stuff now, which is probably exactly what he wanted back in the PreRec days.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
you know, they're probably right about being the only people to notice that the disney+ version of tron legacy was cropped

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Jack's back.

I watched the original Tron for the first time the other year (after having already seen Legacy back when it came out) and it's probably the biggest hype backlash I've experienced in a movie. Legacy was substantially better, though after being done with the original I thought how fucking weird it was to go from the OG to what Legacy ended up being. It's a pretty bizarre tonal and presentational shift.

Deleted member 57990

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 18, 2019
I wonder how many people are rewatching Tron Legacy this evening because of that video? I know I am.

Shame they were so down on the original Tron, particularly Wendy Carlos' score.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That was an enjoyable conversation, and I'm of a similar mind as they are. I don't quite like either movie that much, but I appreciate them in a way. Too bad Legacy is deeply let down by a half-assed screenplay filled with undercooked ideas.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OG Tron is straight up unwatchable. The special effects have gone past a point they are dated to a point they look like caveman drawings

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Tron=Rinzler, and how it seemed like it was maybe tacked on, I'm pretty sure it was there the entire time, it was just understated and easy for many people to miss.

At the start of the movie, when Flynn is showing his kid the action figures, Tron has this little light-up four squares making a "T" shape high on his chest/just under his neck. That's the "Tron" symbol, as established by Tron Legacy, although it's a bit of a "blink and you'll miss it" kind of detail that didn't exist in the previous movie.

When Rinzler appears, he has that symbol on his chest, it's just orange (the color of a Clu-enslaved program), not white (the color of a free program).

And then when Tron is shown "dying" in the flashback, his costume is 100% Rinzler, minus the helmet, and in white, not orange. It's just hard to notice because your brain is hardwired to recognize faces, and you see Bruce Boxleitner so your brain says "That's Tron!". Also, your brain is probably following the easy shorthand of "orange=bad, white=good". If you're not looking at the specific pattern of lights, then you're not going to see that Tron=Rinzler. But if you see the pattern in the lights, then you can see the reveal.

And then, Tron strips a guy of his weapon and kills him with it, and then takes a moment to stare down as his hands as now he's dual-wielding two weapons (which is strange, as the weapons normally disappear when the program dies, but Tron "stole it" somehow). And the only other duel-wielder we've seen has been Rinzler.

And then Tron does an obvious "Rinzler" pose before taking on two guys at once. Tron is 100% Rinzler in this fight scene, he just has white lights and he isn't wearing a helmet.

It's another example of this movie doing "show, don't tell", but it went over people's heads because it didn't tell them clearly enough.

Edit: Oh and, the costumes in Tron Legacy were real physical costumes, not CG effects, so the details like Tron=Rinzler were planned out well in advance, and not something they just tacked on in the editing phase.

Last edited:

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
If people are bored waiting for new RLM content, you could watch Jack talk randomly about videogames. Apparently he's doing this on a weekly basis now.

I always knew Jack was a great guy.

Unrelated screenshot from my Steam account:
yO6XbK7.png

I actually knew he liked TF2 since I've seen him wearing TF2 shirts before on some of the RLM videos he's been on but I had no idea it was his game of the decade.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's just nostalgia, but I always thought the multiple exposure look of the original Tron made it look really awesome. lol

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading a different thread (science diagrams that look like shitposts), and saw this thing:

For some reason I could only think of this thread to place it, because of reasons.

Oct 27, 2017
I take it there will not be a HitB of Cats? That's a shame. Film looks like a mess and I'd like to hear what they have to say about it.

Oct 25, 2017
I fear CATS would destroy Mike's mind in a way that Neil Breen wasn't able to. He'd just spend two hours vomiting out what's left of his brain.
And I think that even professional weirdo Jay would not be able to process that movie.

Seriously, that movie broke people.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
so how's the reception of Picard so far? have they said anything yet about recording a thing after it's all over?
Short of Picard turning into a giant Enterprise mech punching Borg Cubes, they weren't that far off with their little rant about it in that video at least. lol
I am curious to know their reaction though. lol

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about Picard at all, or Star Trek really, but damn, I love watching Mike discuss it.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
theyre doing either 1 or 2 things from the latest patreon updates. Either a Picard video PLUS a separate re:view with Mike and Rich, or the more likely answer the Re:View with Mike and Rich is the Picard one. But they were trying to be cute with the photo and like blurred out the poster but why else would you have that duo if not for Star Trek.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
theyre doing either 1 or 2 things from the latest patreon updates. Either a Picard video PLUS a separate re:view with Mike and Rich, or the more likely answer the Re:View with Mike and Rich is the Picard one. But they were trying to be cute with the photo and like blurred out the poster but why else would you have that duo if not for Star Trek.

maybe theyre finally reviewing Law and Order SVU

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017

I was hoping they would wait an episode or two before discussing Picard, at least wait until they introduce his crew. Not a whole lot happened until the last 15 minutes.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you really doubt they arent going to speak their first impressions and then give a mid/final impressions? These fuckers find a way to sneak Star Trek on everything, theyll for sure do another picard video.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mike and Rich were going to talk to each other about Picard might as well record it and get some ad revenue.
They really should be doing weekly reviews. lol
Jay needs to start watching Star Trek, and he can vlog what he thinks of each episode as he goes along. With possible guest appearances from Mike and Rich. It's super-easy and people would be happy to watch it.

Mike and Rich can use the exact same setup to vlog the Picard Show.

Mike and Rich = weekly, Jay = random (whenever he feels like it, maybe daily, maybe almost never).

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really dont know what keeps them from doing a weekly/biweekly podcast. It could arguably be their most regular content, it might take maybe an hour and a half of their time recording and they are well versed enough in recording/filming rec that issues with sound should be minimal as far as editing goes. And editing out any content of the discussion they want to get rid of shouldnt take too long.

Maybe it's because they dont want to add more editing to their table since they're always editing/recording videos. But having more regular content would win them so many browny points. A podcast is such a norm for so many youtube personalities nowadays, it's almost weird they dont have one considering they have such a large group of regular friends.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because they dont want to add more editing to their table since they're always editing/recording videos. But having more regular content would win them so many browny points. A podcast is such a norm for so many youtube personalities nowadays, it's almost weird they dont have one considering they have such a large group of regular friends.
yes, after making fun of podcasts they should make one themselves

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Jay's pronunciation of Cillian Murphy's name in the recent re-view. :/ lol

It's almost as bad as the Dom-hall/Dom-nail Gleeson episode from a couple of years ago.