• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
i haven't seen either of those, so i may check it out. horror isn't really a genre i delve into often since its just flooded with crap and its hard to navigate.
Gerald's Game isn't really a horror movie, but it is fantastic and Carla Gugino is awesome in it (and it's also based on a Stephen King short I believe).

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it purely because of the director. I loved Gerald's Game and Haunting of Hill House. He's now one of my fav horror directors ( though Doctor Sleep isn't really a horror).
See I was so uninterested and tired of King stuff I completely missed it was from the director of haunting of hill house. Will definitely give it a go when it's on streaming services.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I love that they ripped into that rambling asshole complaining about Parasite.

I'm sure they're going to catch flack for this but I also appreciate they pointed out the irony of the excess of the Oscars and celebrity in general, contrasting the speeches talking about conservation and causes.

Not to say that what Joaquin and others said isn't important, but some of them seem more like the real deal than others.

I feel like this episode will confuse all the people who are sure that they're white supremacists. lol

Nah, this video may actually be the breaking point for me. I've looked past a lot of shit they've said and done, but this Half in the Bag went too far and revealed their specific brand of white liberalism. The video of the rambling racist asshole is merely cover for them to spout their own racist and misogynistic crap. No, Hollywood is not hypocritical when actors and actresses call out racism and sexism. The attempt to undercut Joaquin's powerful speech with the fact that people in Hollywood tend to have money misses the entire point. What the fuck does that have to do with inclusivity and decreasing racism and sexism in the industry? Why, again, the dismissing of Brie Larson's concerns regarding the homogeneity of film critics?

You got Mike spouting the entire board of white liberal takes, what about the droid attack on the wookies? We have bigger problems to solve. You're all rich, you can't possibly mean anything you say. Why listen to your group doesn't practice what you preach? And, of course, maybe things are that way because the other stuff wasn't that good, believing a meritocracy exists. Mike starts off the whole review ignorant of how the Oscar process works, that members of the Academy are SUPPOSED to watch every film up for consideration. He then uses his ignorance as cover to give an explanation as to why the Oscars were so white and male, yet again. Hey, maybe Academy members just didn't have time to watch everything and just watched what they thought was good if Little Women was truly great it would've been nominated. Just absolute garbage.

The final dig was when they laughed at Parasite not being criticized for lacking a diverse case. Again, this laugh is a laugh at the attempts of others to solve racism and inclusivity in Hollywood. When you're laughing at people combatting racism, then I have little respect for you. Let me explain something, you can care about world hunger and racism in Hollywood at the same fucking time. It's not a competition. You can care about it all and fight them simultaneously.

Their liberalism is basically, everything is fine, calm down. As long as people are shouting racial slurs then they aren't racist. We're not racist because we don't scream nigger. Now, excuse us as we laugh at Brie Larson's feminism.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I just watched Doctor Sleep and I'm quite impressed that the tone feels like a legit sequel to The Shining.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
hey they managed to turn a review of parasite into a dig on brie larson for a comment she made one human year ago. surprised they forgot about rian johnson somehow.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
hey they managed to turn a review of parasite into a dig on brie larson for a comment she made one human year ago. surprised they forgot about rian johnson somehow.
They were wrong the first time and they were wrong again. It's frustrating to me to see Mike fidget with his hands and knick-knacks as he speaks about things making it more from-the-heart than the jokey bullshit they occasionally say and so it comes across as their actual stance on this. The idea that privilege should deny someone an opinion versus giving them a platform is just kinda tired. Joaquin Phoenix grew up in a cult and wants a far better world. Brie Larson wants to see more women of colour in the film reviewing sphere. It's not diabolical.

The opinions of some on this board reminds me of getting the bad ending in the first Bioshock. If you make one bad choice you're stuck being an evil psychopath forever.
Haha videogames, yeah, they sure are a thing. But if this is to suggest that RLM made a single slip-up and is getting dragged over the coals for it, you couldn't be more wrong. In fact, the post you're replying to is closer to suggesting the opposite than what you said.

Neither of those are correct. You must know by now that people have more than a single instance of having an issue with the crew, and likewise there has been more than single episode of RLM shows where they appeared "woke".

So what are you even getting at beyond being snarky and trying to take a shot at a whole forum despite its many differing opinions? Does the RLM crew kinda fucking suck sometimes? Yeah. They do. And sometimes they don't! Sometimes Jay and Jack are stoked about something progressive in a movie they watch.

Yet there's a reason people keep swearing them off after so many years. There's one on this page, and this topic's OP, Skiptastic, even posted as much in the bigotry topic Era-side recently. The shittiness is tiring.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The interesting thing about this meme is, Harrison Ford was doing a scripted bit.

Conan O'Brien had one of his people come out and ask Ford a nerd question, and then Ford shoots him down like an asshole, which was funny because celebrities don't normally treat their fans with such obvious disdain. And people loved it.

And yet, some years prior, William Shatner got in a huge amount of trouble because he went on Saturday Night Live, and one of the scripted bits he did there was to have "William Shatner" be at a Star Trek convention, and for him to go off on his fans and tell them to "Get a life."

Worked out way better for Ford than it did for Shatner.

Edit: Thinking about it, Leonard Nimoy plublished his own autobiography once, and he called it "I Am Not Spock", and Trekkies got pissed at him over that. How dare he be his own self. Sometime later Nimoy wrote a second autobiography, and he called it "I Am Spock" in a tongue-in-cheek manner, because don't make the Trekkies mad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skiptastic

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yet there's a reason people keep swearing them off after so many years. There's one on this page, and this topic's OP, Skiptastic, even posted as much in the bigotry topic Era-side recently. The shittiness is tiring.
I skipped the Parasite portion of the video because I haven't seen Parasite yet. Looks like I dodged a bullet if I'm getting my name invoked about being tired of their bullshit lol.

Oct 27, 2017

Ugh, really? Why do they keep doing this bullshit? I think it might be time for me to stop watching, at least for a while. I'm much more enjoying positive channels like Game Maker's Toolkit or CinemaWins and think I need to step away from pessimistic channels.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, really? Why do they keep doing this bullshit? I think it might be time for me to stop watching, at least for a while. I'm much more enjoying positive channels like Game Maker's Toolkit or CinemaWins and think I need to step away from pessimistic channels.

in this review they're really explicit in their beliefs. it's that, hey why not let your movie speak for itself about social issues - you don't need to be preachy with the platform you're given, actor (they also go off a bit on joaquin phoenix for his oscar speech as being meandering). it boils down to wanting to treat movies as stories (i think mike calls the general conflict in parasite a fairytale - that of rich vs. poor). they were really happy that when given a platform, bong joon-ho was just very thankful for the award, and criticized the hollywood people, who they feel talk down to their audience.

these guys are basically gregg turkington's on cinema at the cinema character except real, and bothered by 'politics' instead of off-topic antics of their co-host.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
holy shit Mike actually started watching the Expanse.
i refuse to buy those books in physical form because at some point some idiot said we should switch the title and the author on the backbone and make the series look super weird and inconsistent on a shelf

just go back and do the same thing with the first few books in new printings it's not hard!

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i refuse to buy those books in physical form because at some point some idiot said we should switch the title and the author on the backbone and make the series look super weird and inconsistent on a shelf

just go back and do the same thing with the first few books in new printings it's not hard!

they wanted you to buy the limited edition and fork over that $$$

theres something off in here. Are we sure it's the expanse? That's something actually good and mike only likes trash

maybe he got confused because it was on the Sci-Fi channel

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the TV shows, Picard is the one they will review every episode of.

lol

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I love these Trek videos, especially as a Non-Trekkie. Makes Star Trek looks interesting (I'm just too lazy to watch), and I like their criticisms of Picard.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't finish Voyager and never watched a single episode of Enterprise or Discovery.
I don't know how or why these guys can keep going.