• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I always thought that "gal" is the female "guy", although the word "girl" is far more commonly used in that context.

junomars

Banned
Nov 19, 2018
True, I could see it steeped in old school sexism disguised as chivalry.

Luckily that school of thought has fallen out of popular favor
Yeah I know because it was a word me and my trolling ass little brother used to rile up my grandmother while we were caring for her during her bout with alzheimers. And mind you she wasn't a push over at all, probably cussed more than any other woman I knew lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a pic of Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, and Aubrey Plaza from yesterday celebrating yet another "GALentines Day".

https://i./1s/2019/02/14/16/9804886-6704013-Celebrating_Amy_Poehler_Aubrey_Plaza_and_Rashida_Jones_were_reun-a-9_1550160070818.jpg

moeppel

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I'd tell you to use Gaahl instead but you'd probably end up talking to a tall Norwegian gay dude sporting a corpse face-paint.

Still worth it though.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only people I've ever heard use gal were other women, and usually much older women.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine.

Obviously, context matters... if someone is at work talking about their female superiors and calling her a "Gal" then that might not be appropriate. BUt... for a husband referring to his family ... I don't think it's your call to judge and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. If he's shooting the shit and you say, "What are you up to this weekend?" and every time he replies "I am taking my wife and four daughters to the sports event," then it would sound stilted and awkward, as oppsoed to "Me and the gals are going to the game." He's probably comfortable saying it about his family, but might not say it if referring to a group of 3 or 4 women at work... "I have a meeting with the gals at 3PM to talk about GDPR Compliance," would be mroe dismissive than an endearing way to refer to his family. I'd see it similarly if a woman has 3 sons and a husband her referring to them as "The boys," which is common, and endearing.

My wife uses the word too for her girlfriends, or when her sister and their kids are hanging out ... "The gals!" Or "Galentines Day," Etc.

If you're using it in a pejorative way, then sure, it could be a pejorative but... don't do that. Like, if your female superior at work corrects you when you do something wrong and you say, "ugh, okay, GAL," then that's not right, I'd see it similar to if a male superior corrects you and you respond, "ugh, okay, BRO." It's dismissive and disrespectful.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I use "guys" as a non gender specific term all the time and sometimes get called out on it by females.

Nov 17, 2017
Saying "the gals" is like saying "the guys" or "the boys" so it seems completely normal and not demeaning, at least not inherently.

Obviously though, it would probably be wise to think about who you use it on and where you use it. Like I wouldn't call my boss "gal." It's a casual thing that could be pretty rude depending on the context.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my work emails I just call everyone dogs to avoid this issue.

/s usually I say team or just say hi/hello, with no description of who I'm talking to if sent to multiple people.

Gugi40

Mar 7, 2018
Canada
I think it is just at worst corny when used to describe a group of females from varying ages especially if majority are very young. I really dislike "girls" being used, my boss uses it when he refers to the women in the office whom all of which are full grown adults of 27 and up... so basically in a professional setting it is demeaning but saying things like "I met this girl" or "She was a nice girl" is fine in my opinion.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
First thing that comes to mind if someone wearing a zoot suit and talking like a fast-paced Wallstreet finance guy. Probably... mixing some eras/stereotypes there but whatever.

Wouldn't bother me but it does sound cheesy. I can see where some might not like it because it's a diminutive.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Growing up in England I used to have this friend who had a really thick accent who when he said "girls" sounded like "gyahls"/"gals" so I started using it. I wouldn't say it to an older woman but I use it with my female friends sometimes. I don't think it's demeaning though depends on context and personal preference of who is receiving it.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use it to be corny with my wife but It means girl so I can see why a woman would be offended by it.