• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
I feel like you're putting to much thought into it. If they're fine with it then it's ok. Plus it could just be how he talks.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Gals seem fine. Some women get touchy about "girl", but for me context matters on that one.

Funny enough, among my women friends "the girls" can refer to a group of friends, or refer to their breast.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
I propose the classic "wench".

But really, "the gals" sounds to me like "the boys" or "lads" when referring to your friends or family. Don't see anything remotely questionable there.

Last edited:

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Oh, please. Let's not invent more reasons to be offended.
rBVaSlrf7sCAQDcLAAKATyZ0Ub0372.jpg

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
With my circle of friends hearing a dude refer to someone as a gal is generally a good indicator that his alcohol levels have reached "be a bro don't let them talk to girls" levels because they don't normally do it sober.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Really though, the ideal term for a collective group of people, regardless of gender, is always "fuckers".

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You just said you consider gal the female equivalent to guy. Do you also consider "guy" to be dated and demeaning too?

This looks like the type of thread some would use to mock Era always looking for anything to be offended at. I'm sorry if that's not your case, OP.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Yesterday I learned a bunch of lesbian pals I have a rather negative opinion about the whole "galentine's day" thing but, really, I don't blame 'em.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
How in the hell is gal demeaning but not guy? And what does it being "dated" have any purpose for the thread?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I learned a bunch of lesbian pals I have a rather negative opinion about the whole "galentine's day" thing but, really, I don't blame 'em.
What's wrong about a bunch of friends who are women getting together on Valentines and calling it Galentines? Do they also have a problem with the term "Bromance"?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Sounds innofensive specifically family/friends, other people may sound wrong

Probably similar to call a man 'guy' or 'dude' its fine as long as the context isn't wrong/toxic

divination

Oct 26, 2017
With friends and family "gals" is fine, if a bit outdated. I find myself using "ladies" when addressing a group of friends who are women tho.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm fine with gal and I say it occasionally, but I would definitely stop using it if someone was offended by it

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I've been preferential to calling my lady friends, queens. And my boys are my kings. So when we all go out, I'm out with my kings and queens.

Everyone should be able to feel like royalty once in awhile.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm not following.

What's wrong with Galentine's?

I can't speak to every aspect of their dislike for the structure but it's dumb because it's kind of reductive regarding female homosocial behavior and its usage usually suggests that female companionship is meant to be a consolation prize for women who don't have a man in their life. That perfect confluence of pernicious and overly cutesy

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak to every aspect of their dislike for the structure but it's dumb because it's kind of reductive regarding female homosocial behavior and its usage usually suggests that female companionship is meant to be a consolation prize for women who don't have a man in their life. That perfect confluence of pernicious and overly cutesy
Talk about overthinking things.

In Spanish the complete name of Valentine's is "DĂ­a Del amor y la amistad" or "day for love and friendships". Valentine's is an excuse to get together with your friends too and if they found a cute way of referring to the day as a day to see their women friends then so be it. Galentine's is an great name and very catchy.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I've never gotten pushback from using "ladies"

I've heard women say "act like a lady" or "I'm a lady, not a hussie" so I think it's acceptable.

Ladies, correct me if I'm wrong.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how some of y'all can socialize with threads like these

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never gotten pushback from using "ladies"

I've heard women say "act like a lady" or "I'm a lady, not a hussie" so I think it's acceptable.

Ladies, correct me if I'm wrong.
I've gotten push back on 'Lady' before. She said that it sounded archaic in a housewife kind of way.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gal is slang mostly from UK. It oringinates from patois which uses gyal for women/girls. UK slang borrows heavily from patois, due to the number of Jamaican's here.

So there is nothing wrong with gal