• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I might be misremembering, but wasn't an app in development to stream Steam games at one point for Switch? If so, whatever happened to that app?

If not, I'm honestly wondering if the rumors end up being true about Xbox Game Pass running on switch, if Steam should try striking a similar deal (if possible). I know Steam was trying to get their own "console" going awhile back through multiple partnerships. But obviously that didn't work out. Obviously not every game can work with the console considering some require a keyboard. But I'm honestly wondering if a strategy of Microsoft getting the Xbox Platform on multiple devices in the future is a thing, why would Steam not want to try a similar thing where you login on the Switch and play games through their services on a handheld.

And then we can go put Chell in Smash Bros like she damn well deserves.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I might be misremembering, but wasn't an app in development to stream Steam games at one point for Switch? If so, whatever happened to that app?

If not, I'm honestly wondering if the rumors end up being true about Xbox Game Pass running on switch, if Steam should try striking a similar deal (if possible). I know Steam was trying to get their own "console" going awhile back through multiple partnerships. But obviously that didn't work out. Obviously not every game can work with the console considering some require a keyboard. But I'm honestly wondering if a strategy of Microsoft getting the Xbox Platform on multiple devices in the future is a thing, why would Steam not want to try a similar thing where you login on the Switch and play games through their services on a handheld.

And then we can go put Chell in Smash Bros like she damn well deserves.

I think you are thinking of the Rainway app.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
you're thinking about Rainway, a third-party streaming app.
You've noted that the Switch version isn't in active development right now, but how far have you gotten with your testing on that particular platform?

What was shown in our various technical demos was about the extent of the progress we made. Internally, we got the prototypes performing pretty well, but limitations in our method for running them and our quickly evolving streaming protocol made it incompatible with our trajectory.

This is their stated reason for the Switch version never having materialized. And while it doesn't give them a pass for advertising their tech using the platform, it's certainly better reasoning than the unsubstantiated "Nintendo would simply never allow it" rhetoric that was (and apparently is still) going around.

There was something called Rainway but it seems like vaporware at this point.
nope it's just not coming to Switch

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
There was Rainway? That was a 3rd party thing and if im not mistaken, bullshit that was never going to be allowed on the eshop and used switch pre launch hype for marketing

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Rainway initially promised it would be on Switch. Then they tweeted "we never said that." Then they made a video showing it on Switch. But it's not on Switch.

However!!!

If you hack your switch, there's Jakibaki's In Home Switching

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would bet Nvidia also asked Nintendo if they could put their streaming service on Switch and were told no.

I think what's happened is MS if the first streaming company that was willing to give Nintendo an actual cut of the profit and that changed everything.