• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
giphy.webp

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I think it is kind of odd to request a refund after playing a game for 24 hours of game time. You certainly got money out of the game if you played it for 24 hours. There are single player games that sell for $60.00 that comprise of a total of 15-20 hours. Asking for a refund if you played that much is wrong imho. But more power to you if they gave you the refund. You probably are one of those gamers back in the day where you buy a game, beat it and take it back for a full refund (back when some stores offered full refunds). In short, you just took advantage.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
This has absolutely nothing to do with video games. Imagine being allowed to return a pair of jeans you wore for 2 weeks because you didnt like the color or that you want to get refund for a movie you saw that sucked. I am trying to see how any of these things are reasonable.

I will also note for clarity I do not have Fallout 76, I did not care for it at full price after I played the beta so I cancelled my preorder.
OP returned the game due to bugs and poor performance, it's like if the pair of jeans you bought fell apart within two weeks, they wouldn't be fit for purpose and you'd be able to get a refund. That's pretty basic consumer protection, that a product performs as expected. At least, it is in my country.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
This has absolutely nothing to do with video games. Imagine being allowed to return a pair of jeans you wore for 2 weeks because you didnt like the color or that you want to get refund for a movie you saw that sucked. I am trying to see how any of these things are reasonable.

I will also note for clarity I do not have Fallout 76, I did not care for it at full price after I played the beta so I cancelled my preorder.
Neither of those are really applicable here though. The jeans are physical, this is digital, so Valve isn't left with a used copy of the game.

Your theater example is after you finished the movie. If you left the movie midway through and asked for a refund most theaters would do that (I think)

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Neither of those are really applicable here though. The jeans are physical, this is digital, so Valve isn't left with a used copy of the game.

Your theater example is after you finished the movie. If you left the movie midway through and asked for a refund most theaters would do that (I think)

Well I think 24 hours of gameplay is the equivalent of watching like 3 movies or so in terms of enjoyment so that example holds best. The digital vs physical return policy is also kind of dumb because we could just use the example of a physical copy of the game that costs the same, either way its a lost sale after 24 hours of use even if the company has the copy or not. It probably costs a few cents to put it on a disk its the game that costs the money.

Just my thoughts anyways, I worked enough retail when I was younger to see the "bad side" of customers (not saying the OP is one of these but there are a lot of them). Anyone can do what they want obviously and it has no affect on me, I was just explaining why I am in the "no return after 24 hours played defense force".

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
So even after getting decent money's worth you refunded.

Good for you but it seems shitty thing to do after playing 24 hours.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Blizzards warns people not to use the refund function right now as it could potentially poison your cat.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
perhaps everyone dumping on OP should read their second post where they note they played most of those 24 hours in beta and expected the bugs to be fixed now.

and OP you are entirely in the right here.

The majority of my playtime was during the beta. I expected all the bugs to be fixed at launch but they weren't. Am I at fault here?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
People talking about the amount of hours spent and still getting a refund is treating this as a type of game that has a beginning and a quick end, like a movie, or a pair of pants(?). This game is built around a type of service. You put a lot of time in to make progress, and as you make progress things should start to go smoother due to power of sorts. I bet in that 24 hours the player probably didn't even scratch the surface of what content may or will be in the game. The same was said about Diablo 3, where getting to the "real Diablo" took way too much time for a test to see if you like it sample, so much time that there are now shorter ways to get to inferno or max level activities.

A lot of that 24 hours could have felt like work, and now they're throwing all of that progress away by giving up on it because they couldn't find any enjoyment, or enough enjoyment to keep pushing, even though they kept thinking, "maybe it'll be better if I get over this hill and things start getting interesting." That's how it was for me and Vanilla Diablo 3. It was always the wrong class, maybe if I leveled another to 60 things would be better, especially since I leveled Witch Doctor with paper pets first.