• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Other nurses keep asking me if I'm ok and I'm just like yeah I'm fine but shaking and I feel like I'm gonna burst into tears.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, do that. And take your time. Just.... take care okay? I'm sorry this happened to you. :(

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
OK, I'm ok. I've calmed down heaps and the doctor said it's just soft tissue trauma. Just...I'm tired of this kind of thing. And yes, getting hit at work is a common enough occurrence. I need to find a different job. Ugh.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
OK, I'm ok. I've calmed down heaps and the doctor said it's just soft tissue trauma. Just...I'm tired of this kind of thing. And yes, getting hit at work is a common enough occurrence. I need to find a different job. Ugh.

I'm sorry to hear you experiencing this often. Once is already enough.

I don't understand why you get hit. Are you a nurse?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'm sorry to hear you experiencing this often. Once is already enough.

I don't understand why you get hit. Are you a nurse?
Yes, I'm a nurse. I do geriatric rehab mostly now with some psych and emergency shifts in between (I'm casual). It sounds silly when I say I got punched in the face by a old man with dementia. But like... This isn't even the worst thing that's happened to me. Earlier this year a different dementia patient attempted to strangle me. It took me ages to get over it. I've been in healthcare for ten years now and I'm just...tired of being harassed or assaulted every other week.

I spoke to management on the phone after they sent me home today and told them how I felt. My boss is currently on leave but they said their gonna try and get me on outpatient wards. That would be better and I didn't feel ashamed for once about not coping with the level of violence at work. Nurses all know we have to just deal with it but sometimes it feels like I can't say anything at all lest someone tell me to suck it up. I finally felt heard today.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I'm a nurse. I do geriatric rehab mostly now with some psych and emergency shifts in between (I'm casual). It sounds silly when I say I got punched in the face by a old man with dementia. But like... This isn't even the worst thing that's happened to me. Earlier this year a different dementia patient attempted to strangle me. It took me ages to get over it. I've been in healthcare for ten years now and I'm just...tired of being harassed or assaulted every other week.

I spoke to management on the phone after they sent me home today and told them how I felt. My boss is currently on leave but they said their gonna try and get me on outpatient wards. That would be better and I didn't feel ashamed for once about not coping with the level of violence at work. Nurses all know we have to just deal with it but sometimes it feels like I can't say anything at all lest someone tell me to suck it up. I finally felt heard today.

Wow, sorry you had to deal with this. :( Just dealing with verbal harassment is hard enough, I can't imagine what it feels like to deal with physical assault on a regular basis. I hope you can get transferred and that things improve for you soon.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Jesus. :( There's actually a thread in Etc about a news article about this kind of thing. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this and I hope you're able to get a safer position fast. You shouldn't have to deal with that.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's just awful you have to deal with all of this. There's no reason for other nurses to just tell you to suck it up either. If anyone, they should be the most understanding and be there to help you through it. I really hope you can manage to get on outpatient because you really shouldn't have to deal with that.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
spoke to management on the phone after they sent me home today and told them how I felt. My boss is currently on leave but they said their gonna try and get me on outpatient wards. That would be better and I didn't feel ashamed for once about not coping with the level of violence at work. Nurses all know we have to just deal with it but sometimes it feels like I can't say anything at all lest someone tell me to suck it up. I finally felt heard today.

I'm sorry to hear about this and I'm sorry to hear that management isn't understanding. I didn't know conditions for nurses was this bad until I saw a commercial about it one day. It touched on things like high patient loads and and at the end there was a violent patient that the nurse was left to attend to. It was powerful.

Make sure that you take care of you first and hopefully management will finally do something.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Unfriended two people from college on Facebook for being sad about Urban Meyer retiring. Fuck people who will overlook his anti-women transgressions, among other shady things he did.

I do think having to deal with Gamergate, Me Too, and having a sexist Presidential candidate turned President has made me much more vigilant about women's rights. I like it.

Last edited:

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Unfriended two people from college on Facebook for being sad about Urban Meyer retiring. Fuck people who will overlook his anti-women transgressions, among other shady things he did.

I do think having to deal with Gamergate, Me Too, and having a sexist Presidential candidate turned President has made me much more vigilant about women's rights. I like it.

You know...it always saddens me when I read replies like this. Not because I disagree with your ideals (we're on the same page), it's because it feels very irrational and it creates more hostility. I know enough people who are not invested enough to look up everything about sexist people or know what they stand for. Maybe you know those friends well enough and it is more than justified in this case. It hurts when you potentially lose great friends out of it though and it turns out they just didn't know.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
You know...it always saddens me when I read replies like this. Not because I disagree with your ideals (we're on the same page), it's because it feels very irrational and it creates more hostility. I know enough people who are not invested enough to look up everything about sexist people or know what they stand for. Maybe you know those friends well enough and it is more than justified in this case. It hurts when you potentially lose great friends out of it though and it turns out they just didn't know.
1. They weren't great friends. Just some dopes from college I still had hanging around my friends list. One of them was a right-winger and the other one was a creep with women.

2. They are both OSU alums and fans, one of them still living in Ohio, and they would thus be WELL AWARE of what transpired with Urban Meyer as it was huge news in that circle as it unfolded.

So fuck them.

I get your point, but in this case, fuck them. The creepy guy also deleted my post calling Urban out, so he DEFINITELY knew.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
1. They weren't great friends. Just some dopes from college I still had hanging around my friends list. One of them was a right-winger and the other one was a creep with women.

2. They are both OSU alums and fans, one of them still living in Ohio, and they would thus be WELL AWARE of what transpired with Urban Meyer as it was huge news in that circle as it unfolded.

So fuck them.

I get your point, but in this case, fuck them. The creepy guy also deleted my post calling Urban out, so he DEFINITELY knew.

Yeah, I understand. That sounds very definitive.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
2.0 allows us to have a Cover - that is, in the huge bar at the top of the page, we put in an image instead of leaving it with a boring default color.

The current image seems a tad low res to me. But I'm famously bad at graphics. Who wants to find/make/recommend/criticize? Please give inputs.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's cute too. Dunno how it will look stretched across a desktop page - also there's a size limit on cover images of ....300.....k? So uh....we need feedback from mobile AND desktop users. I'm desktop, Firefox, the current one looks a tad blurry but not stretched beyond readability.

Anyone on mobile have an opinion?

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's cute too. Dunno how it will look stretched across a desktop page - also there's a size limit on cover images of ....300.....k? So uh....we need feedback from mobile AND desktop users. I'm desktop, Firefox, the current one looks a tad blurry but not stretched beyond readability.

Anyone on mobile have an opinion?

I'm seeing the same as you on an iPad, but I see the full picture on my phone and the resolution looks great.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Thank you so much, everyone. I'm sorry that I brought this here in the heat of the moment, but I was panicking and I needed to talk to someone I guess. Thank you all for the support, I really appreciate it.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you so much, everyone. I'm sorry that I brought this here in the heat of the moment, but I was panicking and I needed to talk to someone I guess. Thank you all for the support, I really appreciate it.

Does your workplace have some employee assistance/counseling resources? We have a line to call when something traumatic happens and debriefing is needed. If it's tough to find a sympathetic ear, it might be worth looking into.

I watched a video a while ago about violence in healthcare work and was surprised by the challenges people face on the job. Going into an unfamiliar house when the resident has dementia and might be paranoid, disinhibited, or just plain hostile to someone they don't recognize is no joke. There were some staff stories that sounded very similar to your situation. I hope you are doing ok and you have some support.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'm feeling a lot better mentally today. I'm seeing my psych this month so I'll bring it up with her. Every now and then I find myself kind of analysing what happened but I don't feel worried to go back to work mostly because the response from staff was just a whole lot better this time. I was allowed to cry and debrief and just generally feel awful at that time. Last time that didn't happen. Same ward, different staff on. No one came to check on me then, no one followed up how I was going.

God and my mum turned up at the emergency. I felt like a little kid but she insisted on driving me to their place and watching me for a bit too make sure I was OK.

Honestly I'm doing OK, everyone. The hardest part about today is the blistering heat. 39°C ughhhh

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Btw, apologies for not re-introducing myself again. Many of you probably already see me in the other thread on the gaming side. I've visited this thread when the forum was still fresh. I got busy with life, kept telling myself I would read every unread reply someday and start participating again. Well...I accidentally clicked on the thread and I should be more active now. At least I won't have to read all the old replies anymore.

Fuck no. It was GOOD that you brought it up here. Please do it more often 😉

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
So many gross posts in the latest Neil DeGrasse Tyson thread I can't even.
I always found his holier-than-thou attitude annoying and now that these stories are coming out I'm glad he can be knocked off his high horse.

Unfortunately any thread regarding female rape victims are dumpster fires, especially if they involve celebrities....

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
GREAT NEWS

After my doctor sending more shit and initiating an appeal, my insurance is going to cover my MRI, and I got it scheduled for THIS THURSDAY evening. I also started physical therapy, but I'm not sure if it's helping or making things worse.

I also have an endoscopy scheduled for 12/31 to basically shit on the insurance company so it's covered for this year and they have to pay 90% instead of me paying through the deductible.

I've had a crappy cold for a week, but at least things are looking up in the long-term stuff.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
LOL I love your summary about insurance.
Isn't that getting a camera down the throat?
Yes it is.

And I need the endoscopy (not doing it just to shit on the insurance company of course), I had one done 10 years ago but a lot has changed since then. I've developed heartburn that has gotten worse over the past few months. My maternal grandmother also died of stomach cancer at the age of 51. So yeah, it's something to keep an eye- or scope- on.

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So here's a friendly bit of advice to my peeps in here.

Scrub your hands THOROUGHLY after cutting up hot chili peppers. Don't think just because you put a bit of soap on them and rinsed it off you'll be good to go. Good lord.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't seen #1 yet as I last did a pass through of Etc early this morning. Ugh.

Didn't see #2 either somehow despite it being older.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
It has had some GREAT zingers. The pikachu meme always kills me for some reason.

It just really grinds my gears to see grown ass men defending the "hotness" numbering system. It's so dehumanizing.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so relieved at the response in that thread. I was half-wondering if I'd be seeing things like "It's stupid how women don't like when I walk by the cubicle saying "WOWZA VAVAVOOM" it's a compliment ok"

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm enjoying the massive thread backfire (and I'm also glad that it is a backfire and not a bunch of dudes going "sucks dude, #metoo has gone too far!!").

Some good zingers in there too. Laughed out loud at this one.
Love a good thread backfire. Nice to see that the majority of the response was that OP's friend was behaving inappropriately.

Last edited: