• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
OK, why is the concept that the variety of physical differences between humans shouldn't affect the way men and women are treated so threatening to so many men?

Last edited:

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to clarify, are you talking about ALL sports in general or purely ones based on physical attributes?

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
This is a post about co-ed sports? I'm kind of lost.

What you are describing is not really something I've seen. If anything my friends complain about bad male players they wish could be dropped from the team. But it's rec league.

If you want to be in competitive sports play in a competitive league.

edit: ohhhh pro sports. can't say this is a thing i've ever seen. if women are good enough to play, let em play. I have never heard otherwise until we get into mma. Are women in mma asking to compete against men? I haven't seen it.

Nov 27, 2017
Are you taking about something like having football teams with both men and women on them, and how some men react negatively to the idea? I'm not the brightest, I'm not really understanding what you're talking about exactly.

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whichever ones cause the blown gaskets as referenced in the title

well i read the OP and it's kind of trying to tackle like 30 topics at once.

Dudes who have irrational responses to women in sports in general somehow, dudes who put their imagery in sports, the topic of how even though we are all individual in physical attributes that we still rely on a standard for sports and how to alienate others, the concept of teaching boys that women can't perform better than them etc etc...

RockTiddies

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i already have one pretty substantial argument for this topic summed up in one word too: TESTOSTERONE.

it's pretty influential.

Dec 18, 2017
Tbh, OP's writing is awful. Too convoluted and too many attempts at humor. Just ask the questions and maybe add a joke or too. Never sacrifice clarity for style if you actually want your questions answered.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a rambling, incoherent strawman of an OP.
This is generally era in a nutshell.

Op strikes me as someone who doesn't even understand what he's talking about nor watches much sports, so the actual mechanics behind what he's talking about elude him to the point he's reducing them down to absurdity because that's the only way he can understand them.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought men had naturally stronger upper body and women had far stronger lower due to our biology and it would kind of skew competitions? I mean non contact sports I don't see a problem with coed competition. I don't understand your anger op and your post feels like it is all over the place

Copper

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Testosterone and muscle mass are a social construct!

I fail to understand the OP to be honest.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get who this thread is geared at or what it's going for. Doesn't seem OP knows either since he doesn't know what sports/athletics this problem is happening with.

kristoffer

Banned
Oct 23, 2017
The best way to ensure that there are no sports at all for women is to have them compete with men. You're just throwing us back to the eighteenth century.

Also, put down the weed.

Nightcall

Oct 27, 2017
Hey imaginary guys that don't agree with my very niche pet issue, why are you so shitty? Because you're insecure, lazy or a nazi?

Amazing conversation starter.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give us an example or source to read OP. I personally have no issue with guys and gals competing, but you just don't see many competitive, seasonal sports where women can compete with men.

OP
OP
Not

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Holy shit this was a bad idea.

"Hey men, why do most of you react this way to this?"

Most men respond to the thread by reacting that way to this. I don't know what I was expecting. I'm embarrassed. Didn't help that when I'm angry I'm incoherent. Also good to know that when people disagree with me, rather than ignore my attempts at humor they call it out for what it is. So people always agree with me but they just think I'm unfunny. Got it.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Who hurt you OP?

As for actual retorts, one of the more famous examples of a man vs woman match in tennis

Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[52] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager".[53][52] The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[54] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two shandies. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[55]

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry, OP. You have no idea what you're talking about. Co-ed pro sports would kill women's participation in pro sports completely.

Men and women are different physically. That's not up for debate. Yes, you will have men that smaller and women that are stronger, but by rank averages, men outcompete women in size, power, speed, strength.

Ultra distance running is probably the most equitable of sports competition, though. There are some exceptions.

I really don't know why this has become a controversial thing over the years. Stop trying to do this.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Most men respond to the thread by reacting that way to this. I don't know what I was expecting. I'm embarrassed.

For people just coming into the thread and just see this and the what is now the op: dude originally had a long, rambling, incoherent mess of a topic post filled to the brim with hostile strawmans and reductio ad absurdum fallacies.

Not a good look wiping your op like that and then trying to play the victim. Grow up, man.

OP
OP
Not

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Your thread was about how men react to confusing and rambling arguments?
If I was arguing for why cookies were delicious, no one would give a shit how it was written. People are calling out the rambling argument because they fundamentally disagree.
For people just coming into the thread and just see this and the what is now the op: dude originally had a long, rambling, incoherent mess of a topic post filled to the brim with hostile strawmans and reductio ad absurdum fallacies.

Not a good look wiping your op like that and then trying to play the victim. Grow up, man.
Here, just for you bud. I'll put it down here. Hang it up on the wall and remember how more mature you were than I was today.

OK, why is the concept that the variety of physical differences between humans shouldn't affect the way men and women are treated so threatening to so many men?

Why the is a firm or hostile response so common? Like, I'd be fine if they went, 'Eh. Maybe. Probably won't work in practice due to these factors though...' But no. They go BWAAA. They swarm. They mobilize. They fucking build a pyramid-shaped shrine to the Shining Unchanging Incontrovertible Truth that I AM A FUCKING MAN, BRO.

Why do so many men stake their entire identity and sense of self-worth on the certainty that a woman will never be able to run a 100m faster than them? Why are legions of dudes going so damn hard against the people-- let's call them the ancient, all-powerful, and tyrannical cosmic force known as "SJWs" that only a few brave selfless heroes have had the courage to stand against-- now thinking we went a little overboard with the rigid binary shit over the last few millennia, give or take?

Let's level here. From a neutral perspective uninundated with entitlement and inflated self-worth, we're just stupid sacks of dumb interconnected blotches of carbon and calcium and keratin and it takes two of us to make another weird thing that's kinda like us, sort of. We all have variations, outliers, and inconsistencies. So I mean, what the fuck?

Is it just a comfort issue? If not bona fide insecurity, is it mental laziness? Fear of the unknown? Even excessive competitiveness can't account for the widespread extent of how fucking TERRIFYING it is for dudes that a non-man might not contribute satisfactorily to any athletic endeavor on some imaginary scale that women will never actually be able to eclipse because the Holy Actuality That We Must Always Unfortunately Always Keep In Mind that a great number of humans without a Y chromosome tend to be weaker than those with one.

This is the world's most important generalization. Ignore it and we anger the gods. In fact, we might as well just label it universal law, right? Right? Sure, Dale Hammersworth from down the street might be able to pull me down on the asphalt and fart in my mouth, but at least Janie Pollard next door will never beat me at arm wrestling!

Are we literally raising all boys to believe that if a human they can't categorize as a Penis Pal outperforms them in certain activities, they'll fucking sink into the ground and dissolve into shale? What's sustaining this foundational fucking tenet buried deep in nearly every guy on the planet that the best woman should never, ever surpass the worst man, and how do we proceed to blow it up from space?

Because come on now. Really. Fuckin' who the fuck cares? We're going to die. One or two of these goddamn 4 billion women should be able to play your fun distracting little fun sport things.

Anyway. I'm sure a decent number of you have a rebuttal. Let's hear it! I'm hoping it's something like 'Eh. Maybe. Probably won't work in practice due to these factors though...,' but my ears are open here.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I always thought men had naturally stronger upper body and women had far stronger lower due to our biology and it would kind of skew competitions? I mean non contact sports I don't see a problem with coed competition. I don't understand your anger op and your post feels like it is all over the place
He's talking about pro sports, as in athletes making money. I don't think anyone is against hobby co-ed competition.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
I have never, ever had or overheard a conversation about co-ed professional sports.

How prevalent is the issue?

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
iirc most "men" sports aren't actually men only sports but open to all genders, it just happens that there's no women good enough to compete in those leagues.

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Any sport that has a lick of physicality to it is going to be dominanted by men. Co-ed sports just dondo work on a biological level.

Also what are you talking about?

yarden24

Oct 26, 2017

Most men respond to the thread by reacting that way to this. I don't know what I was expecting. I'm embarrassed. Didn't help that when I'm angry I'm incoherent. Also good to know that when people disagree with me, rather than ignore my attempts at humor they call it out for what it is. So people always agree with me but they just think I'm unfunny. Got it.

Your posts just seemed incoherent, i personally didnt understand there were attempts at humor, if you claim men are angry at the idea of men and woman competing at sports do you have examples of this happening?

Oct 27, 2017
If I was arguing for why cookies were delicious, no one would give a shit how it was written. People are calling out the rambling argument because they fundamentally disagree.

No your original OP was just really confusing and seemingly about a subset of an issue that I and apparently many others have never encountered. But you've got it in your head that everyone else is wrong and working against you due to some prejudice, so there doesn't seem to be any reasoning with you.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
He's talking about pro sports, as in athletes making money. I don't think anyone is against hobby co-ed competition.

Oh ok, I didn't quite understand from all of that. Yeah women competing against men in professional sports I think is a bad idea. The difference in our physiology is just too great.

OP
OP
Not

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
No, you were really rude and saying we're all just fragile little whiny men.
OK, yes. I wanted to talk about male fragility. This was a bad attempt at framing it via something more specific.

Yes, it's projection. That shouldn't prevent me from being able to talk about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Certain men are really weird about women competing with men, to the point that they actually believe that men and women need to have separate chess leagues.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
OK, yes. I wanted to talk about male fragility. This was a bad attempt at framing it via something more specific.

Yes, it's projection. That shouldn't prevent me from being able to talk about it.
People have posted tons of evidence on why it's not a good idea on GAF and now on this thread. How is this about male fragility?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Who hurt you OP?

As for actual retorts, one of the more famous examples of a man vs woman match in tennis
TBF in tennis case women and men aren't playing and preparing for the same sorts type of match. The prepartions needed for a professional match (mentally and physically) are very different. Max amount of sets a woman will play in grand slam level event is 3 with an extension of the 3rd in a championiship final. The minimum amounts of sets a men's professional at a grand slam is 3. Even if they were all the same gender you'd see some stark differenences when put under those envirnoments even if they only play 3 sets. It's not that women can't play 5 sets it's just how it's set up. Under that scenario the diffence likel wouldn't be so stark.

Status
Not open for further replies.