• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you like V brought back in a future DMC title?

• Yes

Votes: 175 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 136 43.7%

• Total voters

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
How about giving familiars to Vergil in addition to his regular moves?

(not played V yet myself but don't mind spoilers)

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Kill the character for good and just let vergil do the vegetalo and be a "good guy", even after everything he did. Judgement cut is so much more lit than anything V can do.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How about giving familiars to Vergil in addition to his regular moves?

(not played V yet myself but don't mind spoilers)

The way the plot shakes out, they'd need to do a lot of work to explain why Vergil was using those three particular familiars after the end of the game. Other familiars, maybe (doppelganger?), but those three specifically...not so much.

Geryon on DMD took an absolute age too. I almost gave up. It wasn't even HARD, just BORING.

Yup. I was going for the "beat that mission without any of your familiars being KO'd" trophy and I got so bored of the fight that I lost focus and Shadow got blown up.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Flashbacks of when people used to say "Roxas is so cool it's fucking lame he had to go back to Sora" Please there is no need for KH mindfucks to bring V back.

He's Vergil in everything except looks.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Since V's personality is clearly shining through Vergil (compared to how detached he was in 3, V's actions and influence has clearly made him softer), just give Vergil a Summoner stance or something.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Bring his fighting style back, but expand on it. I want to see counters and death-fake-outs like he did against Mirage Angelo. Really disappointed there was only a single upgrade to the cane.

V himself, I dunno. I liked him well enough in the story, but his story is... done. I'd rather have Vergil back than him, unfortunately.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Since V's personality is clearly shining through Vergil (compared to how detached he was in 3, V's actions and influence has clearly made him softer), just give Vergil a Summoner stance or something.

I'm trying to think if we ever saw Vergil smile at any point before this game.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. From what I've seen of his gameplay, he has a *really* low skill ceiling compared to the likes or Nero or [especially] Dante. I guess it could be expanded upon in some way, but as it stands now it just seems so limiting in comparison.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They literally did a Hijacked by Ganon on this sucker by making him Vergil. Everyone saw it coming but it was still mismanaged pretty terribly due to how completely irrelevant he is to the picture once he fuses back with Urizen. At that point he is literally just the same old Vergil with none of the personal character idiosyncrasies or development gained from actually being a weak human. I came to enjoy V as a character throughout the story, but a large majority of why DMC5's story just straight up did not work is almost entirely thanks to him and how the writers ostensibly used him as a trojan horse so they can relitigate the only villain anyone ever gave a shit about in this series.

It wouldn't have been half as bad if there was even any sign that V actually earned some form of development that transitioned into Vergil to justify why he's essentially Vegeta now. Half of the stuff V espouses about not being able to undo his sins and Vergil talking about whether he'd be in Dante's position if the two had their circumstances swapped as kids is completely empty platitudes when that doesn't actually lead to anything. V is a character that exists to build up to pure, yet hollow fanservice, and he deserved much better because as a personality I thought he was entertaining enough.

Game play wise though? No thanks. I like the idea of them wanting to make a character who can basically taunt while attacking, and I think he's novel every once in a while, but the way his attacks and mechanics work feel so intangible in a series that's revered primarily thanks to how extremely rock solid and tangible its mechanics are. I have no doubt that there's going to be some amazing DMC combo videos out there with him, but he's just not fun for me to put the effort into it. I especially did not care to play bosses with him.

When, if, DMC6 happens, I'd rather just go back to Nero and Dante (or an offspring thereof), having all of their levels designed around themselves and their abilities, with Bayonetta-styled bonus unlockable characters for added replay value. V can be a part of that.
"I WANTED SOMETHING I DIDN'T GET!" the post.

On the topic of the post, no. I liked his gameplay and his character quite a bit, but he's in Vergil now (whose taking some of his traits) I want another summoner though (Patty?)

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to think if we ever saw Vergil smile at any point before this game.

I honestly think he hasn't, plus, this is also the first time he's ever said "thank you" to... well, anyone. He says he cares nothing about Nero, but... nah, he flat out lets Nero tell him what to do after he loses and gives Nero the book. The last time someone tried to tell Vergil what to do after a loss, he threw himself off a cliff.

And above all, Vergil actually jokes a little with Dante now

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
V was cool, but I'm fine with just seeing some of his personality in Vergil and maybe some of his moveset going forward (and it seems like we're getting a little bit of the former at least)

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
V's gameplay was an absolute bore. Dragged down what is otherwise a phenomenal game so no, I never wanna saw him ever again.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
DMC has too many characters that are similar to each other and V felt like a breath of fresh air, even though in any other game he'd feel super cliche and played out. DMC is an incredibly one note series so I'll take whatever variety I can get.

"I WANTED SOMETHING I DIDN'T GET!" the post.
So what? We're not allowed to be disappointed over his treatment?
I honestly think he hasn't, plus, this is also the first time he's ever said "thank you" to... well, anyone. He says he cares nothing about Nero, but... nah, he flat out lets Nero tell him what to do after he loses and gives Nero the book. The last time someone tried to tell Vergil what to do after a loss, he threw himself off a cliff.

And above all, Vergil actually jokes a little with Dante now
He did faintly from time to time I would say. But he didn't have much to smile about to begin with. His interactions in 3 were super limited, so it's not so much about not having it in him, but it wasn't just the time nor the place.

They did so before, too. The whole Arkham fight is like this.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I really like him as a character, I just don't want to play as him.

Oct 25, 2017
I like V as a character. We do not need him back and I don't enjoy playing as him even if he is more interesting than it seems, just make the games about Nero/Dante/Vergil and Lady/Trish/*insert new female character*.

For me, I'd just keep DMC6 about Nero and Dante.

Last edited:

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I like him but they basically killed him off and his powers in the game.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I can see them doing some convoluted spin with him somehow managing to be separate from Vergil (while vergil is still vergil). I still like Vergil more though if i had the choice.

Thought his moveset was ok, but i've always preferred him last.

Last edited:

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I really like V and his playstyle. If they want to bring him back without bringing the character himself I guess they could make him a style switch for Vergil?

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm alright without V being in the next game but I would like his playstyle to be included with someone. Hell since Trish doesn't have the Sparda anymore why not give her that playstyle.

Oct 25, 2017
I really like V and his playstyle. If they want to bring him back without bringing the character himself I guess they could make him a style switch for Vergil?
Could be a satisfying story/gameplay moment too, when he finally gets his book back from Nero, he unlocks the ability to summon.

They could just say the book had its own powers, too, if they just want to give that ability to someone else and not bring Vergil back to the story this soon.

I'm alright without V being in the next game but I would like his playstyle to be included with someone. Hell since Trish doesn't have the Sparda anymore why not give her that playstyle.
I like that. The auto-version that spends a DT bar could be the demons surrounded by lightning.

Though, storywise, it would probably be a more fitting power for Lady, since she's still human. They can find plenty of bullshit anime powerups for Trish, Lady needs a tool.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
As a style switch with some characteristics from V to Virgil and that's it!

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
V as a character is whatever.

Bring his moveset back as either a second style for Vergil or as a new character. No reconning V into being his own secondary character ala Roxas.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

This actually fits perfectly. Trish is a Mundus creation along with the familiars so having her command them would make perfect sense.

Oct 25, 2017

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Good point! That would be amazing.

Someone call Itsuno about that Lady + Trish adventure tease!

Honestly, it would be a smart way to make Trish more than just "nerfed Dante + lightning kicks". Give her a bunch of lightning projectiles and the like so she's not AS helpless as V is but then also give her the familiars to bolster her strength.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
V only existed to bring back the best character of the franchise, plus his gameplay doesnt fit DMC at all. So No.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes or at least a new character with a refinement of Demon Summoner gameplay.

Jul 5, 2018
The revelation that V and Urizen were both actually Vergil was definitely the most disappointing moment of the story for me. I thought both of them were interesting enough to be their own characters. I liked that Vergil returned, but I would have liked him in more of a minor role while Urizen and V had bigger parts. With what transpired in the game, it would be difficult to find a way to bring V back in a way that makes sense. It didn't ruin the game by any means, but I would have liked that part of the story to go a different way.

Oct 29, 2017
No, V was a nice try and I kind of enjoyed his stages but I've had enough. He was basically fun for a stage of 2, 3. I even thought he had too much stages, while actually having the least I think. And his final one is rather early too (and rather boring at that, shitty fights against heavily gimped early bosses).

It's funny how people barely scratch the surface of a character then writing him off completely

It's like picking dante and doing stingers and basic combos only. People saying they are spamming projectiles from far and "mashing" just dont get it.

Oct 29, 2017
The revelation that V and Urizen were both actually Vergil was definitely the most disappointing moment of the story for me. I thought both of them were interesting enough to be their own characters. I liked that Vergil returned, but I would have liked him in more of a minor role while Urizen and V had bigger parts. With what transpired in the game, it would be difficult to find a way to bring V back in a way that makes sense. It didn't ruin the game by any means, but I would have liked that part of the story to go a different way.

Urizen is one of the worst villains ever with some of the worst dialogue imaginable. I cant believe anyone could find him interesting.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Yeah, I would like to see him, or at least his moveset, come back in some way. The idea behind his style of play is something that's begging to be refined and perfected in a sequel. Plus, how you gonna have all these DMC1 homages and not invite Phantom to the party?

And as far as his character arc goes, he's still enough of a decent "foil" to Nero and Vergil, himself, (especially his unabashed humanity), that I'd like to see him and his pals return in some way. This series, known for making shit up as it goes, can certainly find a way to do so.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I liked V as far as personality and demeanor goes. Make an anime-tier asspull and bring him back, I don't mind.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it would be a smart way to make Trish more than just "nerfed Dante + lightning kicks". Give her a bunch of lightning projectiles and the like so she's not AS helpless as V is but then also give her the familiars to bolster her strength.

My thought process of having Trish be the summoner is giving her two styles. One is reminiscent of V's with maybe thunder familiars to keep her element in the mix. The other is something similar to Hector's playstyle in Castlevania Curse of Darkness in which she is more active in her damage dealing. In this mode she would have 1 familiar instead of two and whichever she absorbed she could use as a weapon.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Since I'm assuming he's supposed to be a young Vergil, I'm gonna say give me a prequel where we play as Vergil but it's V's character looks, and let us play a "combo" version of him. One where he befriends other demons and uses them to fight, while letting us use an inexperienced yamato wielding Vergil to finish off or assist our familiars.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My thought process of having Trish be the summoner is giving her two styles. One is reminiscent of V's with maybe thunder familiars to keep her element in the mix. The other is something similar to Hector's playstyle in Castlevania Curse of Darkness in which she is more active in her damage dealing. In this mode she would have 1 familiar instead of two and whichever she absorbed she could use as a weapon.

I like that. You could have a tradeoff system based on the familiar you have out and the familiar you have absorbed, different strengths and weaknesses vs. trying to manage more than one familiar at a time.