• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love how Reggie provides facts and all these ignorant guns loving basterds choose to ignore it. I cant imagine the rage if the shooters were muslim/black/mexican or any other nacionality.

Its sad to see this in such a great country.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
This violent games = violence by the right wing media is just 1 of their rotating excuses to avoid gun control legislation and discussion. Stop engaging them on their ground (facts on vgs) they're going to keep going more absurd and then shift it to mental health discussion, needing more Jesus or Dems are causing a race war.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Thank you Reggie! It was really disheartening when I read Trumps remarks on the industry yesterday. I couldn't even internet anymore. It really gets under my skin when games/music/movies are used as a scapegoat..

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wasn't aware that gun violence is relatively high in Canada as well, also didn't expect the UK to be so much lower than e.g. Italy.
Gun violence is hardly a topic in western / central Europe anyway (terrorist attacks in France aside).

Thank you Reggie btw.
And 90% of those guns used were illegal acquired from the USA. No matter how strict the law is if the firearms are illegaly owned. Nothing much you can do unless a more strict border inspection.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
That's literally a screenshot with a written quote on a randos Twitter. I can't find any other source of that jackass saying a quote that fucking dumb.

This is likely fake. The truth is enough for us to be angry. Is there a better source for this quote?

It's not so hard to validate imo:

Edit: oh, after second reading you might mean the Japanese context, which I agree: you have a point there.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
What would your strategy be?
Strategy for what? Finally getting the US the adopt gun control?

I can propose you two solutions, one natural, one supernatural.

The natural is quite simple : You pray god so that it changes US citizens' minds about firearms.

What? The supernatural one?

You ask US citizens themselves to change their minds about firearms.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
guns dont kill people, people kill people
Well yeah. But guns make it a whole lot easier. A lone gunman is going to kill a shitload of people before being taken out. Someone with a knife might potentially kill a lot of people too but it's a whole lot fucking harder and happens far, far less often.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Glad to see Reggie give no fucks to Republican bullshit. I hope we see more of this from him now that he's retired.

I love how Reggie provides facts and all these ignorant guns loving basterds choose to ignore it. I cant imagine the rage if the shooters were muslim/black/mexican or any other nacionality.

Its sad to see this in such a great country.

There have been several black mass shooters in the past decade. The rhetoric remains the same surprisingly: "Lone wolf," "mental health," etc.

Now when it's a Muslim... oof. Go look back at the Orlando or San Bernadino shootings and you'll see some vile shit.

guns dont kill people, people kill people

man shut the hell up

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I like this Unleashed Reggie. He could actually be a powerful voice for the video game industry and community.
I really like this new side we're seeing of ex-N Reggie. He must've avoided a lot of this because of brand-protection and fairness at Nintendo, and I truly find him to be a compassionate and thoughtful person through some of the statements he's made or speeches he's given since his retirement.

He also attended some university where he gave a talk about what it requires to become succesful with something and basically gave his own life-story about being on the job market and having poor relatives or something like that. It was a new side of him that never occured to me previously.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
You might laugh at that but I've actually known some libertarians who are right wing nutty for the most part except for gun ownership which in their own words "is something absolutely ridiculous and over the line and needs to be regulated for the actual safety of our society." Gun control, especially after every one of these fucking shootings and ESPECIALLY after the Vegas massacre, has a much stronger amount of support in the Republican Party than you'd expect. It's not 100% sure but if it weren't for the NRA having their hand up most politicians' asses there would have been some more common sense gun laws passed a loooooong time ago.

Anyway good on Reggie here for speaking out. Facts are facts and the fact here is that games do not cause this at all. What I'd personally love next is for someone to explain to these guys that by attacking video games they're attacking a one of the biggest industries in the US and are threatening to put millions out of work with this "shut 'em all down" mentality.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I still hope one day the USA will become a civilised country by banning guns and implementing universal healthcare. In the meantime, I'm not touching that dystopia of a country with a 3 meter pole.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And 90% of those guns used were illegal acquired from the USA. No matter how strict the law is if the firearms are illegaly owned. Nothing much you can do unless a more strict border inspection.
Where do you think illegal guns come from? All those guns were legally made, then legally purchased. The good ol' gun owner then illegally or gray legally sells them or they end up "stolen". Like, really, do you think guns just pop out of the ground, made from nothing? Not to mention the figure is more like 78%. Even putting all that logic aside, imagine if you could reduce gun murders by 22%? Imagine the decrease in suicides.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
This is a good thread to say it once more: fuck Trump, fuck guns, fuck the alt-right and screw all right wing enablers on the internet. They are the cancer of our society.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
It'll never cease to amaze me how easy it is to get a gun in the US. Here in Chile the process is incredibly restrictive, and the penalty of owning an illegal one is crazy high.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Good guy Reggie. That graph pretty much invalidates the whole video games cause mass shootings arguement.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'm definitely an advocate of Reggie speaking up and out towards these types of issues. I just hope he doesn't become like some others I've had to stop following that inbetweeen game updates and stories every other tweet is about Trump or something.

For clarification I'm not trying to police what anyone puts on their own social media, but I myself have grown tired of the onslaught of politics filling many people's twitter posts minus situations like this where a mass shooting occured and is trying to be linked to a medium I care about. Just when every other tweet is a quote from politicians and/or political takes I just grow weary of it.

That being said things like this are good to speak up against and I'm glad he's doing it in a level headed manner. I'm sure lots of people will get angry at him for this perspective and it takes a lot to put yourself in the crossfire of so many people.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gun laws have nothing to do with being a Republican.

noth·ing
/ˈnəTHiNG/

pronoun
not anything; no single thing.
"I said nothing"
synonyms: not a thing, not a single thing, not anything, nothing at all, nil, zero; More
adjectiveINFORMAL
having no prospect of progress; of no value.
"he had a series of nothing jobs"
adverb
not at all.
"he looks nothing like the others"

Hmmm... the definition of "nothing" seems pretty airtight. Not sure what I'm missing here.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Gun laws have nothing to do with being a republican? do you pay much attention to USA politics?
Right? When I told my Step-dad Republican about the first shooting, at that point I didn't know who did it, his first response was "great now Democrats are coming for our guns".

One of the loudest Republican mantra is that Democrat are going to take away your guns. It's like their greatest fear tactic. So that poster can spare me with his "it's not a Republican issue" despite decades of evidence showing IT IS.

And also they can spare me with the "not every Republican" nonsense. They know what they are voting for. If not guns then racism, is not racism then bigotry, if not bigotry then taking away rights from women, if not that then giving the corporations tax breaks. All their reasons are trash and enable gun violence either way.

Jenoss

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised and glad that Reggie did said what he said..
Wow..

Are we still talking about it in the 2019?
If a country don't want violence in videogames, it should ban it from any other form of entirement.
That will not change the fact that if the entire population of your country, can buy guns as easly as i can buy a donuts in mine, crazy things may happen everyday...

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
It's measuring how much people spend on video-games in specific countries and directly compares it to the amount of violent gun deaths in each one of them. If video games are equally - or even more - popular in other countries, how come they have an staggeringly lower number of violent gun deaths?

You can't compare different years and think you're actually comparing what you say they're comparing. Because they're not.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
You can't compare different years and think you're actually comparing what you say they're comparing. Because they're not.
I don't think I understand what you're saying here.

But I also don't think two years is enough to make too much of a difference in video game popularity to invalidate his point.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I don't think I understand what you're saying here.

But I also don't think two years is enough to make too much of a difference in video game popularity to invalidate his point.

It's pretty straight forward: when you compare two events or try to show causality (or lack thereof) you should use the same year at least. On top of that, they've just cherry-picked a few countries out of the blue. There's no way of knowing where these stand globally compared to others. And from what I've learned today, the United States counts suicides to their gun violence death statistics which most countries don't.

Having said that, of course I'm not saying videogames cause gun violence. I've been playing videogames since 1991. But if you want to show this, there are certainly better ways to show it than Vox did (or didn't). :-)

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
67961268_2674038572607759_3675472822521561088_n.jpg