• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I like this Unleashed Reggie. He could actually be a powerful voice for the video game industry and community.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good of him to take this stance about crappy republican rhetoric. Go Reggie!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
When nra trumpers get btfo
tumblr_n8ohnvaV6s1qfs9zoo1_400.gif

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
There's probably a little bit to be said about countries were hyper violent FPS games are highly popular. It's not unreasonable to say that they may not be the healthiest thing for people to be playing for hours on end, particularly those who may already have mental illness/issues, suffer from depression, anxiety, etc. Ultimately though video games, and other mediums with certain highly violent high profile genres/releases, are really low on the list of things to investigate and address when it comes to gun violence, or violent behavior in general.

If after we've dealt with gun laws, significantly de-armed the population, put serious money into mental health care and medical care in general, curtailed hate speech and radicalization online, etc., and we still have severe problems with gun violence and mass shootings, then sure lets take a look at the media we are consuming.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Those graphs need to be shoved to the politicians' faces. Tweeting to "inform" them is simply not enough.

They don't care about being informed. Video games is their scapegoat and people are wasting their time defending video games instead of attacking politicians for not implementing gun control laws.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They know the facts, but they can't blame guns for shootings.

I think this kind of scapegoat worked before, when parents didn't knew what games were. But now? Good luck.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, I had this unfounded fear that Reggie might be a hard Republican. Glad he's speaking up about this.

Last edited:

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
A quick search doesn't bring up anything supporting that. This Politifact article links a 2007 study which states "Americans make up less than 5 percent of the world's population yet own roughly 42 percent of all the world's privately held firearms," and also links a Pew study about gun ownership in the US claiming 42% of respondents "live in a household with a gun."

Still, the chart he posted doesn't lie about the broader topic.

I mean, the fact that USA owns 47% of the world's firearms is still scary, but that should be what he meant.

...isn't that supporting it?

His wording make it sounds like in USA, 4% of the population own 47% of all firearms of the country. Which the article seems to indicate those values are worldwide. Not that those values at a global scale ain't batshit crazy anyway.

I read his tweet as "4% of the [US] population own 43% of the guns [in the US]" but that's probably me being tired, I'll edit that

I read it the same way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I read his tweet as "4% of the [US] population own 43% of the guns [in the US]" but that's probably me being tired, I'll edit that first bit out and just leave the info from the article

Ah, I can understand resding it like that. Likely not worded as best as he could have. But with the numbers being almost identical, I think it's clear he was referring to what you posted.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I mean why treat this like a console war thing when Reggie isn't even at Nintendo anymore
Huh? I mean for their guys to make a statement together or support Nintendo or whatever. The gaming industry is being attacked for the Cheeto in office and the gop. They are literally posting fake news of their own and running with it which is spreading the the web.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? I mean for their guys to make a statement together or support Nintendo or whatever. The gaming industry is being attacked for the Cheeto in office and the gop. They are literally posting fake news of their own and running with it which is spreading the the web.
I'm a Nintendo fan, but Nintendo has nothing to do with this, Reggie is retired now, this is his own personal thoughts on the issue

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, I hand this unfounded fear that Reggie might be a hard Republican. Glad he's speaking up about this.
I mean, Reggie isn't white, so him being a Republican would actually be pretty surprising all things considered, even if he does have a lot of money
Gun laws have nothing to do with being a Republican. If you like a particular political party it doesn't mean you agree with everything the party does. I'm sure there are Republicans who feel the same way about Guns as liberals do.