• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So a fan jokes on twitter about Reggie having a sub-premium chair, the company who makes the premium chair, seeing a chance for publicity, gifts the chair to Reggie, everyone who follows the exchange has a good laugh about it... and people are upset about what was otherwise harmless fun? Let Reggie have his chair.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Since many are incapable of nuance...

If Herman Miller saw the internet dialogue of a longtime company president sitting in a subpar chair all his work life and offered to give him a chair of their own volition before a petition was made, it's all fine and dandy. Rich people of prominence get free stuff all the time, who cares. It's even a bit of nuanced PR!

Tens of thousands of Nintendo consumers championing a god damn petition to essentially coerce a corporation into giving a multi-millionaire a free chair is just god damn embarrassing. Your solution to the "problem" of a man worth tens of millions of dollars not having a great chair in his work life is to e-beg a company to give him one in retirement.

Am I missing something here?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017

If Herman Miller saw the internet dialogue of a longtime company president sitting in a subpar chair all his work life and offered to give him a chair of their own volition before a petition was made, it's all fine and dandy. Rich people of prominence get free stuff all the time, who cares. It's even a bit of nuanced PR!

Tens of thousands of Nintendo consumers championing a god damn petition to essentially coerce a corporation into giving a multi-millionaire a free chair is just god damn embarrassing. Your solution to the "problem" of a man worth tens of millions of dollars not having a great chair in his work life is to e-beg a company to give him one in retirement.

Change.org petitions happen all the time, and are ignored all the time. This petition seems to have happened in jest and because Reggie is well liked. Unlike so many petitions online there is no anger behind it, just fans being fans. I saw the tweet about his chair a few weeks ago and chuckled but wasn't aware there was a petition as well.

The company giving away the chair controls all the cards here. They are doing it for the PR, fans didn't do shit.

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I have a 10+ year old Herman-Miller Aeron and it's a dope chair. I highly recommend them over that "Look at me I'm a gamer slash race car driver" bullshit.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Aeron chairs are weirdly uncomfortable to be honest. The hype for them always seems a bit weird.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
That figure would be considered a "free luxury item", and would cause just as much salt as the chair has. A lot of the anger in the thread is directed at wealthy people recieving any kind of "free, luxury" gift.
Nah, that figure is a lot more meaningful because, as I said, my friend crafted it himself with clay and some techniques I have no idea about.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom

Yeah, you're missing the bit where the chair company is doing this for PR and haven't had their hand forced by a petition nobody would have any reason to give a shit about.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
A high quality, hand made statue is absolutely a luxury gift, my dude.
If you can't see the difference between a unique and handmade figure that represents a game and a chair with nothing special related to gaming, then I don't think I can really say much to point out the obvious. Those who don't want to see won't see anyway.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I legitimately don't get some of the reactions in this thread. Is this really something worth getting mad about?

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
If you can't see the difference between a unique and handmade figure that represents a game and a chair with nothing special related to gaming, then I don't think I can really say much to point out the obvious. Those who don't want to see won't see anyway.
There's absolutely a difference. It's still a luxury gift though, that's all there is to it. The sculpture is more meaningful, but I really have no issues with a chair either.

Feb 3, 2018
Thank god that multi-millionaire was finally gifted a free luxury item.
The way humanity works. They want to help their idols and saviors.
Reggie is cool and all but like why? This boy can buy his own.

I agree with these comments and understand them but at the same time Reggie is not Andrew Wilson he has not been an asshole, flaunted his wealth, monetized games and shit on his customers and he seems like a decent guy so I am willing to see this more as a people showing appreciation for the work he put in at Nintendo.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see salt though, just reasonable people who are not overly attached to a corporation for weird reasons.
Man, Nintendo fans can get reaaaally weird at times, this is one of them. You know what would be a great farewell gift? Something unique that the person will remember, like a handmade figure of a character, a video for said person or maybe a poster containing fanart (not lewd shit), not a freaking chair.
A friend of mine made a Bloodborne figure and gave it to Yoshida as a gift, now that's a fucking good gift for someone you admire.

Your friend could have spent the time he worked on that figure on raising money for the needy instead. Why spend that time on someone who doesn't need his help?

I swear to god ERA is miserable sometimes. Outrage over every little thing.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Send me one instead, I have awful problems with my back, he can afford his own lol.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
All I see is a bunch of harmless fun. I really don't get why there are so many salty people in this thread.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Would be cooler if the company customized part of it in some way (casters with N on them or such).

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really cute and suuper small gesture. Some of you need to lighten up a bit. It's really not a big deal at all! I'm shocked by all the salt in this thread. Smile every once in awhile people! :)

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aeron chairs are weirdly uncomfortable to be honest. The hype for them always seems a bit weird.

Maybe you tried the sub-par model, because Reggie's new one has saved me from a lot of pain. And it will last.

This is a really cute and suuper small gesture. Some of you need to lighten up a bit. It's really not a big deal at all! I'm shocked by all the salt in this thread. Smile every once in awhile people! :)

7165.jpg

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
All I see is a bunch of harmless fun. I really don't get why there are so many salty people in this thread.

What I don't get is why any of us are expected to applaud this. A bunch of misguided fans campaigned for a wealthy, successful businessman to receive an expensive new chair free of charge.

No fan should feel this level of attachment to a guy they've never even met. The man isn't your friend, and he doesn't need you arranging gifts for him. It's freakin' weird.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Your friend could have spent the time he worked on that figure on raising money for the needy instead. Why spend that time on someone who doesn't need his help?

I swear to god ERA is miserable sometimes. Outrage over every little thing.
Nah, Era is miserable for most people when things don't align to their company of choice. I do agree sometimes things go overboard, but this is not one of those times. I don't even know how to reply to the first "point" you're trying to make, is it supposed to be a counter argument or something?

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
This story would be lot more cute/fun if it was a Kirby chair or something. Without that element, it's just a rich dude getting a rich dude chair.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Fans deliver a luxury chair to man with minimal effort.

Man cannot deliver Mother 3 to fans after nearly two decades heading a segment of a multinational conglomerate in a major market.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Lol the salt of some people here. Geesh. I can imagine them typing the messages from one of those crappy plastic chairs, seething with rage.

Good on Reggie though. The Aeron chair is amazing, it was a life changer for me no kidding.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Lol the salt of some people here. Geesh. I can imagine them typing the messages from one of those crappy plastic chairs, seething with rage.

Good on Reggie though. The Aeron chair is amazing, it was a life changer for me no kidding.

If you seriously think the only reason people aren't applauding and weeping with joy is jealousy, you're delusional.

Also, "Good on Reggie"? Good on him for what exactly? For being given a chair?

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
If you seriously think the only reason people aren't applauding and weeping with joy is jealousy, you're delusional.

Also, "Good on Reggie"? Good on him for what exactly? For being given a chair?
No, it's the usual Era shtick of "Hurr hurr having money bad" repeated ad nauseum.

Fans like Reggie, Herman Miller company gets free marketing, Reggie gets a chair, Reggie shares with the world and fans. Good for him then, free chair.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What this kind of has me wondering is how many people signing that petition know what Reggie does. Iwata was actually vital to some of my favourite games coming out at all. Reggie not nearly so much.

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's the usual Era shtick of "Hurr hurr having money bad" repeated ad nauseum.

Fans like Reggie, Herman Miller company gets free marketing, Reggie gets a chair, Reggie shares with the world and fans. Good for him then, free chair.
As yes, because Herman Miller getting free marketing and Reggie getting a chair is what's really important in my life.