• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

The context:

When Reggie was leaving on his last day, and posting pictures of his office, fans found out he was sitting on an old Aeron chair for 10+ years during his tenure as CEO of Nintendo of America.

For his effort, fans organized a Change.org petition, requesting Nintendo of America to buy/purchase a new latest Aeron model chair.

The petition on Change.org didn't garner a ton of attractions, but it finally got the company's attention. Thanks to the petition to gift Reggie his own Aeron chair, Herman-Miller sent Reggie a chair, and now Reggie is getting his own chair at his home.

Last edited:

Kamenjojo

Oct 27, 2017
I came into this thread for context and got none. This is the internet in its purest form.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why didn't he have the decked out one in the first place? Lumbar support makes a big difference.

The aluminum is annoying to clean though.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whew! I'm sure he was in dire need of one! I couldn't sleep last night thinking whether Reggie could get a new chair!
This is not a diss on the OP or the thread itself but in the dumb fan campaign

Oct 25, 2017
Thank god that multi-millionaire was finally gifted a free luxury item.
I hate to dip into the joyless curmudgeon crowd, but totally agreed.

This man is bathing in luxury and could buy his own top of the line chair hundreds of times over. I feel like fans could have petitioned for something much more valuable to the more needy that reasonably involved Nintendo and Reggie similarly.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
This is kind of weird, I must admit. A petition for a free chair that he can easily afford?

Edit: I guess this is free publicity at the end of the day for Herman Miller, so works out good for them.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh thank christ! I felt so bad about the rich guy not having an expensive chair gifted to him. I can rest easy now.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't think anyone was gifting him a chair on the basis he couldn't afford one. I think it's more a gesture thing. Like the vast majority of presents you might give to a friend, or a work colleague.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That'll be a great place for him to get back to playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf on Nintendo 3DS!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Defending a "gesture" from fans. This mindset that you need to give gestures in money to a multimillionaire....draw him a picture and call it good. That's a good gesture.

Oct 25, 2017
The chair is more of a farewell gift to Reggie.
I feel like the dozens of signed and personalized mementos, paintings, statues, gift, awards, achievements, plaques (that we know of!) accomplished the "farewell gift" duty well enough, as well as being priceless, infinitely more personal tokens hand made from the hands of his closest colleagues.

This is a chair (he can afford) and buy anytime, anywhere on a whim.

It's a nice gesture and all on it's own, but indirectly leaves a sour taste for many scourned in a world of a hilariously vast division of wealth to see a (deservedly so) rich man get a free luxury chair. At least that's what I think many like myself and others reacting negatively are responding to.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Now Reggie needs to lead the charge to get the Bigfoot back on the menu at Pizza Hut. Fair's fair.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I hope Nintendo sends him TWO chairs, just to make the salty posters in this thread even saltier.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
On one hand you could see it as fans giving the guy a retirement gift.

On the other I can't help but agree with all the other Grinches in the thread.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of Nintendo fans with terminal illnesses that could have used some crowdfunding/sourcing over Reggie. Imagine putting that effort in for some poor kid with an illness so they could take their family to Disney World or something over Reggie's chair.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of Nintendo fans with terminal illnesses that could have used some crowdfunding/sourcing over Reggie. Imagine putting that effort in for some poor kid with an illness so they could take their family to Disney World or something over Reggie's chair.
Gamers already do that. Gamers raise a ton of money and goodwill through charity drives.

Zornack

Oct 29, 2017

Imagine getting upset at a guy getting a chair.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gamers already do that. Gamers raise a ton of money and goodwill through charity drives.
I know and that's great, but in this case it should have happened again. Most kids don't get to be that lucky and instead of giving a millionaire a free office chair, people could have helped another less fortunate person. Millionaires and billionaires don't need any of our help, the poor and suffering do. Not a lick of effort should go to anyone with that kind of wealth over someone suffering.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
I read his NOA chair was a Mirra and not an Aeron, which for context, is much less nice than the Aeron

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I know and that's great, but in this case it should have happened again. Most kids don't get to be that lucky and instead of giving a millionaire a free office chair, people could have helped another less fortunate person. Millionaires and billionaires don't need any of our help, the poor and suffering do. Not a lick of effort should go to anyone with that kind of wealth over someone suffering.
"Instead of buying that McDouble and making a billion-dollar corporation even richer, you could have donated that money to sick children! How could you!"

My eyes have rolled so far back into my head, they're stuck now.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough I've been looking at picking up a second hand Aeron myself since so many people seem to rave about them... Reggie's old one going spare??

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Not really surprised. I've seen people gift more expensive gifts to their idols.