• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
What I don't get is why any of us are expected to applaud this. A bunch of misguided fans campaigned for a wealthy, successful businessman to receive an expensive new chair free of charge.

No fan should feel this level of attachment to a guy they've never even met. The man isn't your friend, and he doesn't need you arranging gifts for him. It's freakin' weird.

Misguided fans? Campaign? You need to chill out. This entire situation is just a meme.

?oe?oe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a second, I thought fans actually bought him a new chair. That would be something, alright.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
You're literally posting constantly about how salty everyone on ERA is and how it's bad to have money.
I have never once said having money is bad, it's the complete opposite of what I say and what I believe.

I just found it funny how salty some people get out of something that's obviously a meme and some dumb fun. We can't enjoy dumb stuff anymore apparently.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe you tried the sub-par model, because Reggie's new one has saved me from a lot of pain. And it will last.

Nah, it has nothing to do with "sub par models", it's just a not all chairs fit all people thing, and the design of the Aeron has always been an issue for some people. A big common issue is with the lip of the Aeron puting pressure on the backs of peoples' legs, causing nerve impingement. Anyone who worked in a startup back when "we give our staff Aeron chairs" was a common feature of job postings has heard all the complaints about them. Hell, the guy who designed the Aeron ended up leaving Herman Miller and designing a better version of it, "The Chadwick", that fixes some of the Aeron's bigger issues.

Reggie's a big guy, so it might be less an issue for him. One thing the Aeron's always had going for it is they make it in several sizes, which run quite large.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I mean, there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of Nintendo fans with terminal illnesses that could have used some crowdfunding/sourcing over Reggie. Imagine putting that effort in for some poor kid with an illness so they could take their family to Disney World or something over Reggie's chair.

Why don't you? Why are you complaining what people in their free time while doing nothing?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Edit:
I'm an idiot and misread the Tweet

Welp, big old guy like Reggie will definitely benefit from a chair like that. Nice little retirement gift from fans to get the company to send him one.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This thread is weird. I thought the gesture was cute and funny, something I really need right now, but posters here are acting like fans bought Reggie the chair out of tribute instead of using the money to feed people in Africa. I don't think fans who signed the petition honestly thought it would go anyway, just like all the other thousands of serious and joke petition you find floating on the internet. Even then, they did't spend a dime. The company is doing it as PR.

Like really this forum is:

tAgBSSo.jpg

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Era is miserable for most people when things don't align to their company of choice. I do agree sometimes things go overboard, but this is not one of those times. I don't even know how to reply to the first "point" you're trying to make, is it supposed to be a counter argument or something?

It's tongue in cheek.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Some edgelords in here, sheesh.

(None of the fans involved paid money. The only thing they did was sign a petition. That's it. You can lay down your pitchforks.)

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I think people are overestimated the effort here lol.

Signing a Change.org petition takes seconds. You guys acting like the made Reggie a pyramid or something lol. And in the end, was only 23,000 people. That's a tiny sample in terms of fandoms.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
To the guys complain about doing a fun little rhing for multimillionaires:

Would you be willing to help me out getting a PC? I could really use one for work, but can't afford one.

I'm not even close to be single digit millionaire, so I should be more deserving of a nice gesture, right?

Because that's apparently how it works.

But for real now: It's cool that they got him a new one. It was a fun little campaign

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Case in point how while it's okay to be a fan...there are times where one can be just a tad out of touch.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jesus christ these idiots spent money on Nintendo games and now spent money to buy a very rich retired man a chair.

I can only imagine how much this chair costs since 23K people donated $1 each. Thats a $23,000 chair fans bought for Reggie. smh

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of Nintendo fans with terminal illnesses that could have used some crowdfunding/sourcing over Reggie. Imagine putting that effort in for some poor kid with an illness so they could take their family to Disney World or something over Reggie's chair.
You do realize there wasn't any crowdfunding or sourcing here whatsoever, right? All people did was sign a petition for the fun of it.

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
i dont know why fans made such a big deal out of this. Those chairs are built like tanks and are designed so you can replace parts once things do finally start wearing out. I've had my aeron for over 10 years now (and it was already 8 years old when i bought it) and ive only had to replace a few things on the chair. reggies old chair was old because it was built to last.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
I would have happily signed this petition if I had heard about it. Good on the fans for getting reggie this chair.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
Are people really shaming the campaign?
I mean, it was just a cool campaign and the world will always have people needing something more than what we achieved.
Let's just chill.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Imagine being salty about a chair.

Get some air out of your bubble crazy sad people.
Nah, life's good man! Already got a couple of trips planned and paid for with friends later this year :D
My problem is this being such a meaningless gesture, to someone who can easily afford a chair like that or better. As I said in previous posts, I'd find something like a fan-made poster, fanart on Twitter, something more unique and truly related to what made these people love Reggie to be more fitting as a farewell gift, rather than this.
Yeah. Reminds me slightly of when folks were donating money to that one celebrity to try to make her the youngest billionaire.
Just googled this. Holy fuck man are some people really stupid. Ok, this Reggie thing is nothing compared to the Kylie Jenner stuff.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, life's good man! Already got a couple of trips planned and paid for with friends later this year :D
My problem is this being such a meaningless gesture, to someone who can easily afford a chair like that or better. As I said in previous posts, I'd find something like a fan-made poster, fanart on Twitter, something more unique and truly related to what made these people love Reggie to be more fitting as a farewell gift, rather than this.

Just googled this. Holy fuck man are some people really stupid. Ok, this Reggie thing is nothing compared to the Kylie Jenner stuff.
Look like that would've taken more time. Sound like some bored people on the internet tryna have fun just went and signed their name on some petition board.

Probably takes more time to type out a post here.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
So searching for that Kylie Jenner GoFundMe, I found a campaign more similar to this one. Someone created one in order to buy Elon Musk a couch... how do y'all feel about that?

"This isn't the first time the internet has crowdfunded on the behalf of an extremely wealthy person. A GoFundMe campaign that kicked off in April raised more than $7,000 to purchase a couch for Elon Musk after CBS reported that Musk had been sleeping on the floor of Tesla's factory. "

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/kylie-jenner-gofundme-fans-crowdfunding-billionaire-2018-7

Look like that would've taken more time. Sound like some bored people on the internet tryna have fun just went and signed their name on some petition board.

Probably takes more time to type out a post here.
It doesn't need to be a hugely collaborative effort. Wasn't there a gift for a developer a few years ago that was basically a poster with users avatar or names or whatever on it? I forgot, but I do recall something like that. Might haven even been from GAF.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It was made plainly clear this was a PR move from a non offensive petition not backed by angry gamers for a change.

Not sure why this thread is still going.