• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
United States
This is kind of stupid. Let the megabig CEO buy his own chair, maybe? Fuck me, people are stupid. I'd rather put money up to buy him a shiny pin that says, "You're the coolest reggie EVER!!!" than a stupid fucking chair. Oh well, I suppose. Its the thought that counts.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
Man some of you must live some pretty uneventful lives if a guy getting a chair gets you this riled up. It's just a nice gesture, move on.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
This is the lamest thing. At least it's harmlessly lame for a change, but yeesh, gamers.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Someone probably said this already but...

He'll be the one to sit on the Aeron Throne.

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine getting angry over people getting angry over this.
This.

It's a joke. A viral online meme. A company took advantage of it for free PR. Does this not happen all the time?

I find this funny, I find the petition funny, and I'm glad Reggie actually got a free chair out of a funny petition.

Now where are we on renaming fire ants to "spicy boys"

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No this is gamers celebrating and defending (lol) a marketing move from a high end chair company.
Originally the absurdity of the situation was the draw, coupled with fondness for Reggie. Since though, the primary entertainment being drawn from Reggie's chair saga is how tilted people are getting over it.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No this is gamers celebrating and defending (lol) a marketing move from a high end chair company.
I'm ask again who put money down?

And defending what exactly? There aint nothing to defend or attack here. Yall romanticism with drama on this forum is about just as dumb as the complaint.

edit: "OMG dole sent Reggie $700 worth of mangos. Gamers are so dumb!" Like wth

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I'm ask again who put money down?

And defending what exactly? There aint nothing to defend or attack here. Yall romanticism with drama on this forum is about just as dumb as the complaint.

The chair company shipped one over, so i guess their marketing budget put money down?

If you are wondering who is on the defensive about this, just read the thread. Basic comment about how this is stupid are met with agressive people insisting to not make this political or look at this with a critical eye, they just want their fun! Please don't make me think deeper about this! Emblematic of our times, if anything.

I am not shocked either, this fits in 100% with a group that created an identity based around consumerism and brand worship.

edit: "OMG dole sent Reggie $700 worth of mangos. Gamers are so dumb!" Like wth

TBH gamers would be dumb enough to start that petition.

Reminder: CEO's aren't your friends, brands aren't your friends.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of Nintendo fans with terminal illnesses that could have used some crowdfunding/sourcing over Reggie. Imagine putting that effort in for some poor kid with an illness so they could take their family to Disney World or something over Reggie's chair.
Did you start a petition for one? A fundraiser? Get out the word for one? Do anything at all? Anything beyond whining about people who had an idea to do a nice thing for someone while you do nothing about it?

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The chair comoany shipped one over, so i guess their marketing budget put money down?

If you are wondering who is on the defensive about this, just read the thread. Basic comment about how this is stupid are met with agressive people insisting to not make this political or look at this with a critical eye, they just want their fun! Please don't make me think deeper about this!

I am not shocked either, this fits in 100% with a group that created an identity based around consumerism and brand worship.
People think its stupid cause it is. They posted it because they thought it was funny or something. I dont know what else to tell you or what you even want from everybody else besides "This"

Did you start a petition for one? A fundraiser? Get out the word for one? Do anything at all? Anything beyond whining about people who had an idea to do a nice thing for someone while you do nothing about it?
Exactly

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
People think its stupid cause it is. They posted it because they thought it was funny or something. I dont know what else to tell you or what you even want from everybody else besides "This"

I don't want anything from gamers, I am a 32 year old man I know better than to expect them to look at marketing shit like this critically lol

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
To add more shades of grey to Resetera's latest moral dilemma, Reggie should use this chair to scoot down the street while throwing eggs at poor people

What's so special about this chair?
The fact you asked this question means their stealth advertising has already won!

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I dont even think many people know the EA and Activ execs like that. While not a household name, Reggie is pretty recognizable among gamers

But really, the principle is the same. If this was Andrew Wilson or John Riccitello or Bobby Kotick, there would be hellfire in such a thread.

The difference? Reggie is liked that's it.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Why is everyone hot-taking an innocent thing like fans petitioning to give Reggie a better chair and turning it in to some grand social commentary about classism?

Some people made the petition as a joke, it took off and got really popular. Herman Miller used it as a great PR opportunity. Reggie gets a nice chair, HM gets some low effort positive PR, the fans get a nice meme. No one loses here.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But really, the principle is the same. If this was Andrew Wilson or John Riccitello or Bobby Kotick, there would be hellfire in such a thread.

The difference? Reggie is liked that's it.
I mean you said it yourself, he's liked. Thats really it. Yall are going nuts because some people could care less he got a chair thats probably as good as any other chair you sit on. If something like that really be grinding yall gears I dont even know why you on a forum when theres so much other things you could be doing to benefit humanity.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Why is everyone hot-taking an innocent thing like fans petitioning to give Reggie a better chair and turning it in to some grand social commentary about classism?

Some people made the petition as a joke, it took off and got really popular. Herman Miller used it as a great PR opportunity. Reggie gets a nice chair, HM gets some low effort positive PR, the fans get a nice meme. No one loses here.

People trying to restrict conversation, and acting like people critical about this topic are just spoilsport "hot takes", are the ones losing here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

In addition, people who want to feel angry and self-righteous have something to feel angry and self-righteous about, and people who want to poke fun at self-righteous people have self-righteous people at which to poke fun.

This chair is the multidimensional gift that keeps on giving! But...

...does it have a cupholder?

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it takes seconds to sign a petition and without spending morning or leaving twitter...

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
People trying to restrict conversation, and acting like people critical about this topic are just spoilsport "hot takes", are the ones losing here.
I like how you took a stupid petition for a chair and spun it into this deranged world view where gamers are held under the spell of capitalistic corporation worship. Let me level with you here, I don't know Reggie as a person. All I can infer from the journalists, developers, and other people with first-hand knowledge is that he seems to be a nice person. Nice person receives nice gift and his fans cheer on. End of story.

32 years old and you can't help but be smug over "gamers" because a rich person got a gift. Fuck everything, we live in the worst timeline because a corporate suit has fans and he got a free chair. I'm not much younger than you and you sound like you have some introspection to do. You're free to say whatever you want, but your tirade here seems a tad unhealthy.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I like how you took a stupid petition for a chair and spun it into this deranged world view where gamers are held under the spell of capitalistic corporation worship. Let me level with you here, I don't know Reggie as a person. All I can infer from the journalists, developers, and other people with first-hand knowledge is that he seems to be a nice person. Nice person receives nice gift and his fans cheer on. End of story.

32 years old and you can't help but be smug over "gamers" because a rich person got a gift. Fuck everything, we live in the worst timeline because a corporate suit has fans and he got a free chair. I'm not much younger than you and you sound like you have some introspection to do. You're free to say whatever you want, but your tirade here seems a tad unhealthy.

Word to your mother. Well said. It's. A. Chair!

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

I don't think we wil ever agree based on this, but you are part of the people stifling conversation about more serious topics in favor of feel good news stories where we don't question anything. You would rather write these 2 paragraphs to make me look unhinged rather than adressing the gross nature of these PR schemes, and the useful idiots signal boosting it (that includes Reggie).

This isn't a one off, or anything new, this is just how gamer communities react to this kind of critical perspective on consumerism and social media marketing. And that is normal reaction, for a community that has consumerism at the center of it's values.

Word to your mother. Well said. It's. A. Chair!

Trying to wipe away criticism by sayign a chair is harmless is kinda missing the forest for the tree IMO.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think we wil ever agree based on this, but you are part of the people stifling conversation about more serious topics in favor of feel good news stories where we don't question anything. You woudl rather write these 2 paragraphs to make me look unhinged rather than adressing the gross nature of these PR schemes, and the useful idiots signal boosting it (that includes Reggie).

This isn't a one off, or anything new, this is just how gamer communities react to this kind of critical perspective on consumerism and social media marketing. And that is normal reaction, for a community that has consumerism at the center of it's values.

Trying to wipe away criticism by sayign a chair is harmless is kinda missing the forest for the tree IMO.
Feel free to make a thread about rampant consumerism, social media's effect on accepting corporatism, etc. I have nothing against that, and in fact, I agree with you. Or don't, just have that discussion here. But the seething anger, loathing, and belittlement of "gamers" is not a good look. But hey, I'm not the forum police. Do what you want. Just don't be so derogatory when you're called out for being an asshole.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The haters are just jelly because he got a nice chair

The haters need to go to jelly school

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Reggie in the end was at least not the sort of executive to dump a company for a golden parachute the minute things looked bad. If there's a reason I respect the dude it's that I think he actually did believe in what he was selling on some level, or at least took some responsibility for his position.

I still think dude can buy his own damn chair though. Seriously, this is weird and creepy.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Feel free to make a thread about rampant consumerism, social media's effect on accepting corporatism, etc. I have nothing against that, and in fact, I agree with you. Or don't, just have that discussion here. But the seething anger, loathing, and belittlement of "gamers" is not a good look. But hey, I'm not the forum police. Do what you want. Just don't be so derogatory when you're called out for being an asshole.

"don't be so derogatory" gamers can rise up just fine on their own, they are big boys. And like I said, this phobia of discussion topics that have wider social implications is a trademark of gaming communities, it's a feature not a bug.

LIke I said, your only interest is shutting down discussion here. If you read "seething anger" in this thread, can you point it out to me? Like people getting banned for outburts, insulting people defending this, or all caps screeds? You intention is to paint any critical assesment of this as being exagerrated thus impertinent to the topic at hand, and I disagree.

The haters are just jelly because he got a nice chair

The haters need to go to jelly school

The difference in the level of discourse between here and off-topic is breathtaking.