• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
"don't be so derogatory" gamers can rise up just fine on their own, they are big boys. And like I said, this phobia of discussion topics that have wider social implications is a trademark of gaming communities, it's a feature not a bug.

LIke I said, your only interest is shutting down discussion here. If you read "seething anger" in this thread, can you point it out to me? Like people getting banned for outburts, insulting people defending this, or all caps screeds? You intention is to paint any critical assesment of this as being exagerrated thus impertinent to the topic at hand, and I disagree.
I would refer you to any of your posts in this thread. Doesn't have to be all caps to not be salty as all hell. But whatever. You have no intention to actually engage; you'd rather stoke the troll fire further, even in these very posts. I'm not silencing or suppressing you. You're not under attack. Do what you want man.

PS: Check your spelling though lol

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I would refer you to any of your posts in this thread. Doesn't have to be all caps to not be salty as all hell. But whatever. You have no intention to actually engage; you'd rather stoke the troll fire further, even in these very posts. I'm not silencing or suppressing you. You're not under attack. Do what you want man.

PS: Check your spelling though lol

Your only contribution to this thread is tone policing me and now talking about my spelling.

I guess that is easier than thinking about how gamers are useful idiots to marketing campaigns, because it involves the King they stan!

But what do I know? I am just "seething with anger" and being totally unhinged right now lol

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
But what do I know? I am just "seething with anger" and being totally unhinged right now lol

That's how it goes on gaming side, I guess. Everyone's angry when they don't align with the corporate overlords.

Me, only time I've been like straight up mad here is when people get dismissive about the significance of THQNordic's high-ranking executives doing direct marketing to the nazi pedophile imageboard

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your only contribution to this thread is tone policing me and now talking about my spelling.

I guess that is easier than thinking about how gamers are useful idiots to marketing campaigns, because it involves the King they stan!

tumblr_mdwm64JGkj1rg77d5o1_500.jpg

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes he is a ex-CEO. Yes he probably is pretty well off. This is a very small good will gesture and people are blowing it up to be way more than it ever needed to be like ERA always fucking does. Good lord do some of you need to fucking relax. Anytime someone around here shows a modicum of happiness for something that a large corporation had a hand in making everyone is accused of being company boot lickers.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
That's how it goes on gaming side, I guess. Everyone's angry when they don't align with the corporate overlords.

Me, only time I've been like straight up mad here is when people get dismissive about the significance of THQNordic's high-ranking executives doing direct marketing to the nazi pedophile imageboard

Oh yeah, things that get me mad for real are shit like that or the Gamergate harassment campaign.

This topic is still frustrating because of how aggressively gamers dissmiss any criticsm that doesn't fit their consumerist lifestyle, but how can I be mad at that? It's part of their nature.

All you contributions to this discussion have been stellar so far, keep it up!

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Reggie saved my life once.

An out-of-control gas truck was speeding toward me, which could've been catastrophic since I happened to be wearing my novelty flaming suit used in movies when someone is on fire.

But bless my stars, Reggie stepped in front of me, swishing aside his cape (yes he wears a cape) and stopping the truck by elbow-dropping the windshield.

I would've shook his hand in gratitude, but remember, my suit was on fire. Instead I promised him: "Someday you will have a place to sit and rest, Reggie. I swear."

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The difference in the level of discourse between here and off-topic is breathtaking.

I know right? Between the "When your mouth is closed, do you rest your tongue at the bottom of your mouth or the roof of your mouth?" thread and the countless GoT threads with people acting like children I'm in 7th heaven.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I know and that's great, but in this case it should have happened again. Most kids don't get to be that lucky and instead of giving a millionaire a free office chair, people could have helped another less fortunate person. Millionaires and billionaires don't need any of our help, the poor and suffering do. Not a lick of effort should go to anyone with that kind of wealth over someone suffering.

Thank god that multi-millionaire was finally gifted a free luxury item.

Yeah, exactly what I thought. Just bullshit

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
One wonders if Mother 3 would've been localized and released, had only Reggie's tight buttocks been caressed by a more luxurious chair.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I could almost understand if it was an old model that wasn't made anymore and he wasn't allowed to keep it.

But the fact that it's just the latest model is just weird. I'm surprised he doesn't already have a Herman Miller if he wanted one, they're only like 1k, he can afford one.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Reggie saved my life once.

An out-of-control gas truck was speeding toward me, which could've been catastrophic since I happened to be wearing my novelty flaming suit used in movies when someone is on fire.

But bless my stars, Reggie stepped in front of me, swishing aside his cape (yes he wears a cape) and stopping the truck by elbow-dropping the windshield.

I would've shook his hand in gratitude, but remember, my suit was on fire. Instead I promised him: "Someday you will have a place to sit and rest, Reggie. I swear."

And he did. A body that is ready also needs rest.

(serious part, I'm 'roll my eyes at rich people having money thrown at them' but you want to tell me that we could have gotten those gamers to donate to an actual worthy cause. That wasn't going to happen)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is free to donate to the Neiteio Fund, for the enrichment of Neiteio. Your donation will not be tax deductible, but it absolutely will be wasted.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
And you are contributing the the drive by posts trying to derail the thread and make it about me rather than adressing the content of my criticism.

If even someone who wasn't involved in any discussions tells you that you don't have the high ground you think you have here, then think about it.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I mean its Era its expected to an extent but holy fuck...over a chair lmao

I think it's more about gamer culture, but whatever, focus on the chair and avoid thinking about anything being said about it.

If even someone who wasn't involved in any discussions tell that you don't have the high ground you think you have here.

I want people to look at this shit more critically, not looking for any high ground lol

The barrage of trolls and shitposts after very BASIC, entry level critique of social media marketing certainly says something about this side of the community.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The barrage of trolls and shitposts after very BASIC, entry level critique of social media marketing certainly says something about this community.

I will say, though, it does show up on the other side as soon as a youtube personality is getting discussed as per the Dunkey tier video. Which. Hm. Almost like there's a connecting thread there somewhere. I wonder what it could be. ;)

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I think it's more about gamer culture, but whatever, focus on the chair and avoid thinking about anything being said about it.
a man works and eventually retires as a posisitve face in the industry, fans decide to come together and gift him a chair for the years of hard work. Thats all that happened.

they arent paying the dudes taxes or bills its a fucking chair.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to wipe away criticism by sayign a chair is harmless is kinda missing the forest for the tree IMO.

Sometimes a lone tree in a field in just a tree. There is no need to construct a forest around it.

With that said, I appreciate the fact that you are using this example as an impetus to discuss a bigger issue. I think in this particular case the disdain is a little bit of a stretch, but I am listening and understand your perspective.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
a man works and eventually retires as a posisitve face in the industry, fans decide to come together and gift him a chair for the years of hard work. Thats all that happened.

they arent paying the dudes taxes or bills its a fucking chair.

This isn't what happened.

A joke petition was furfilled by the marketing department of a chair company.

Customers pooling their money to buy a chair for the CEO of their favorite brand would be another level of insanity though.

Kyle Barrett

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
That man earned every dime he has. He was due the chair so he got it. You might as well be Reggie to other people in different parts of the world, but I'm pretty sure you want what's yours too. Just saying.

Yes and people can correctly acknowledge that poverty is not right, and neither is the amount of money the top 1% have. There are doctors earning a fraction of what he earned annually.

By all means, accept the reality of the situation in your actions; even try to be that 1% if you'd like, but for the love of humanity please acknowledge that it's not right.

And we cannot change the world, that is what the reality is for the moment. CEOs will be paid extortionate amounts, however they don't need free chairs and they've not EARNED free chairs. They've earned their money they can fucking buy the chair.

I wouldn't call an Aeron luxury unless it is the Eames edition.

As a bit of a chair buff I don't think an Eames Aeron chair is a thing :P

An Eames Time Life chair is fricking lovely though. Google that bad boy!

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Needless hostility.
This isn't what happened.

A joke petition was furfilled by the marketing department of a chair company.

Customers pooling their money to buy a chair for the CEO of their favorite brand would be another level of insanity though.
You better be feeding the homeless with one hand and cleaning oil from a bunch of seagulls with the other one as you post on a videogame forum on the internet with your toes or whatever about how fucking butthurt you are that some rich guy got a free chair cuz boy would you look pretty damn sad otherwise.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Look, I like to think I'm a pretty progressive kind'a guy, and I would love to someday get front-row tickets to the Donald Trump Memorial Sentencing Trial and Cirque Du Soleil Variety Show, but I think trying to equivocate "fans gift a chair to a guy they like" with "the top 1% are destroying civilization as we know it" is a bit much.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
You better be feeding the homeless with one hand and cleaning oil from a bunch of seagulls with the other one as you post on a videogame forum on the internet with your toes or whatever about how fucking butthurt you are that some rich guy got a free chair cuz boy would you look pretty damn sad otherwise.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018

Damn, this chair thread got some people shook

Kyle Barrett

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Look, I like to think I'm a pretty progressive kind'a guy, and I would love to someday get front-row tickets to the Donald Trump Memorial Sentencing Trial and Cirque Du Soleil Variety Show, but I think trying to equivocate "fans gift a chair to a guy they like" with "the top 1% are destroying civilization as we know it" is a bit much.

The reality is that there is a huge divide in wealth. I did not say the 1% was destroying civilisation, so I hope that's not directed at me. I quoted that user pointedly as the concept of a CEO having earned something, in a moral sense is bullshit. He earned his money. He has not earned anything else, and in that alone he has already reaped quite a share.

In the same way that saying we're mostly lucky to live in developed countries; we're the equivalent of Reggie, does not maker poverty morally passable. As I said to the poster, we're in that reality, play the system if you'd like. But don't pretend it's not morally fucked up. At least acknowledge that on your videogame forum.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would've rather give him something thats priceless that he couldn't buy for himself in 5 minutes through Amazon. Retro Studios had the right idea with what they gave him (the signed drawing of DK, Samus, and Mystery Robot Hand) but hey thats just me.

Good for Reggie. I'm not getting upset over this.