• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
So many arm chair developers in this thread, lol. Conceptually, a developer could make whatever game they wanted on mobile hardware like the iPhone and the Switch; the actual pre-requisites are sufficient time, money, and the expectation of an acceptable return on investment.

In the case of very demanding AAA games being ported to the Switch, you might have to remake some of them with an entirely different codebase and workflow, and create assets/materials more appropriate for the hardware, so a lot of fidelity would be lost in the process, but conceptually and mechanically, you'd still be looking at the same AAA games. In fact, everything I said applies to last gen hardware as well. Someone could've made RDR2 on the PS3; it just would've been a hell of a lot uglier 😂

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's really too weak to support it properly.

Would probably look like red dead revolver to perform well

563117-560967_20040503_002.jpg

red-dead-revolver-deadeye.jpg

Ah yes, the ridiculous hot takes always seem to come out in these types of threads don't they.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't think it would work out that way. Assuming these games are designed with next gen in mind, they would have to be cut down to fit on current gen systems. Look at certain games released early this gen like Watch Dogs or even extreme examples like MGSV and Shadow of War. These cut down versions would then need to be stripped down even more to fit on the Switch and I'm not sure that would make sense.

Basically you're reasoning would make sense if the Switch was in the same power category of the other consoles, but that's not the case.

It's one thing to cut down and port a linear, scripted game and a different thing to port an open world with complex AI, animations, streaming, etc. The two examples can't be compared.

Unless it was the video, I've seen footage that looked to drop to the single digits. Using Ark as an example to why RDR2 can run on the Switch is very misleading or misguided way of going about this IMO.
Ark drops to the single digits at times on every platform. People asked, show a really demanding open world game that runs on the Switch in a comparable way to other platforms, and it exists, it's called Ark: Survival Evolved, it runs acceptably compared to the other versions, considering how shit those are already.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just a PR guy saying PR things. There is literally no way the Switch could run RDR2 just on the same way that my iPhone couldn't run RDR2.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Era's (and by extension, the old place's) fascination with always wanting Reggie to give answers directly against his own employer's interest is absolutely staggering sometimes

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Many NPC's are persistent. I've met random NPC's multiple times and they even remembered me. Most of them are randomly generated though.
What I meant by they don't exist when you aren't there is that they don't have a schedule to follow. Or say if they say "John's away hunting" then he just disappears from the camp, you won't randomly bump into him in the world unless the story demands it.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So many arm chair developers in this thread...

Conceptually, a developer could make whatever game they wanted on mobile hardware like the iPhone and the Switch...

a lot of fidelity would be lost in the process, but conceptually and mechanically, you'd still be looking at the same AAA games...

The position reflecting actual reality: Armchair developers

The position that says RDR2 could run on an iPhone: Rational truthsaying

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's obvious why the game didn't get developed for Switch. This shouldn't be a surprise. You can't expect games like that on Nintendo consoles or portables or whatever.

Deleted member 49132

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
So many armchair developers in this thread, lol
Conceptually, a developer could make whatever game they wanted on mobile hardware like the iPhone and the Switch
but conceptually and mechanically, you'd still be looking at the same AAA games. In fact, everything I said applies to last gen hardware as well. Someone could've made RDR2 on the PS3; it just would've been a hell of a lot uglier 😂
😂😂😂

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The position reflecting actual reality: Armchair developers

The position that says RDR2 could run on an iPhone: Rational truthsaying

No, the position is one from an actual programmer and tech artist; you know, someone in the position to actually know how game development works. The reality is that if you're willing to sacrifice rendering fidelity, animation quality, physics accuracy, etc. you really lift a lot of the constraints that you'd normally have with weaker hardware, and as long as the gameplay and storytelling is the same, it would still be the same game, even if it's technically inferior.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone is going to argue circles around each other with this possible/not-possible on Switch.

RDR2 is possible on Switch. It's just the version that we would get most likely no one would want to play. So at that point the fact that it's possible to port becomes kind of irrelevant. IMO.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
So many arm chair developers in this thread, lol. Conceptually, a developer could make whatever game they wanted on mobile hardware like the iPhone and the Switch; the actual pre-requisites are sufficient time, money, and the expectation of an acceptable return on investment.

In the case of very demanding AAA games being ported to the Switch, you might have to remake some of them with an entirely different codebase and workflow, and create assets/materials more appropriate for the hardware, so a lot of fidelity would be lost in the process, but conceptually and mechanically, you'd still be looking at the same AAA games. In fact, everything I said applies to last gen hardware as well. Someone could've made RDR2 on the PS3; it just would've been a hell of a lot uglier 😂

You are only talking assets though

What about other CPU/GPU/RAM intensive tasks that require not only that hardware but also adequate power and cooling

Some games are just out of the running in sheer scope depending on that just graphics and rendering alone

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that RDR2 "Skipped the switch," it's that the amount of investment needed to downgrade the game for the Switch would make it a product that not many people would want to buy relative to the development effort (cost), and late-stage revenue streams like Red Dead Online would be greatly diminished for the Switch.

This is also probably a reason why GTAV has never come to the Switch, despite launching on PS3 and Xbox 360. The amount of investment needed to make it for the Switch, and the small online community relative to other platforms, wouldn't justify either the initial retail/sales revenue or later revenue from the online component.

If Rockstar could get a huge return making the game for the Switch, they would. But realistically, they wouldn't.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
His point is that development started before they knew about the Switch, so obviously they could never plan to make the game for it. If Rockstar wanted the game to be on the Switch, they would have planned RDR2 entirely around the idea that it would have to run on all currently available consoles. Therefore, it would not be the RDR2 it is today, but it would be one that could run on the Switch, graphical compromises included.
Yup. This is exactly what happened with MGSV and I honestly feel that it kept the game from reaching its true potential.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Ark drops to the single digits at times on every platform. People asked, show a really demanding open world game that runs on the Switch in a comparable way to other platforms, and it exists, it's called Ark: Survival Evolved, it runs acceptably compared to the other versions, considering how shit those are already.

Oh OK I see. Still it runs worse than the other platforms and on top of that I still don't think it's a good indicator to why RDR2 would be possible on the Switch. A major part of the appeal with RDR2 is the world, AI, and countless little details. If you had to strip most of that back or out entirely, it wouldn't be the same game at all.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
You are only talking assets though

What about other CPU/GPU/RAM intensive tasks that require not only that hardware but also adequate power and cooling

Some games are just out of the running in sheer scope depending on that just graphics and rendering alone

I'm not just talking about assets, as I elaborated in a subsequent post; physics/simulations/algorithms, animations, path finding/AI scheduling, clipping planes/culling, LOD bias, etc. would all have to be modified with parameters that would be more in line with the specifications of the Switch.

The problem isn't working within the Switch's hardware constraints. The problem is that you'd be looking at significantly inferior visuals and presentation, which may not be at an acceptable standard for a developer like R*

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Oh OK I see. Still it runs worse than the other platforms and on top of that I still don't think it's a good indicator to why RDR2 would be possible on the Switch. A major part of the appeal with RDR2 is the world, AI, and countless little details. If you had to strip most of that back or out entirely, it wouldn't be the same game at all.
Ark is intact tho. The whole game is in there. It's the worst version, and so would be RDR 2, but many would play it that way because they can take it with them. That's like saying a film should not be watched on an iPad because it has to be watched on a 120" 4K HDR projector with Dolby Atmos sound.
What would it run like, 648p docked and 432p undocked, with less graphical flourish, blurrier textures and more agressive LoD management? It wouldn't look worse than RDR 1 did last gen. And it would look and run a lot better than Ark, that's for sure.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not just talking about assets, as I elaborated in a subsequent post; physics/simulations/algorithms, animations, path finding/AI scheduling, clipping planes/culling, LOD bias, etc. would all have to be modified with parameters that would be more in line with the specifications of the Switch.

The problem isn't working within the Switch's hardware constraints. The problem is that you'd be looking at significantly inferior visuals and presentation, which may not be at an acceptable standard for a developer like R*

How are we going to downplay the hardware constraints as not the problem

Regardless of what fence of the argument you sit on the conclusion is going to be the same

They aren't going to do it... and the companies that invest in doing this will only do so if the gap is small enough to achieve in reasonable fashion

RDR2 is far enough beyond Switch in spec requirements to assume that its only on the edge of acceptably possible. And Even I think thats stretching it thin

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I'm pretty sure that was because the game was extremely ambitious and Konami just got fed up with paying an expensive project and decided to release it unfinished, but sure.
Man, the fuck are you even on about? I'm talking from a technical perspective mate, has nothing to do with the story or feud with Konami. MGSV is one of my favourite games of this gen but you can't deny that the game has poor texture resolution, low poly geometry and awful volumetric cloud implementation. The FOX Engine was literally built from the ground-up to act as a cross-gen beast in Kojima's quest for photorealism and certain design philosophies such as how light and geometry are rendered separately and that KojiPro had to capture specialized textures lit in a way that allows them to capture the lighting data as interpreted by the human eye. With a few graphic tweaks on PC, it looks solid though. FOX Engine's use of linear-space lighting put through a deferred rendering pipeline is awesome, don't get me wrong. The way light interacts with plaster, metal, liquid and the such are done well. Also it's fucking impressive that KojiPro were able to bring PBR sensibilities to last-gen consoles (I know Remember Me did it before). This wasn't a technical limitation but a human one. KojiPro absolutely nailed subsurface scattering and the different volumetric particle effects. Shadow optimization is also well done. You could make the argument that if Konami hadn't pressured Kojima to develop for the PS3 and X360 then we wouldn't have 60fps on PS4/XBO which IMO is more important than graphics.

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
How are we going to downplay the hardware constraints as not the problem

Regardless of what fence of the argument you sit on the conclusion is going to be the same

They aren't going to do it... and the companies that invest in doing this will only do so if the gap is small enough to achieve in reasonable fashion

RDR2 is far enough beyond Switch in spec requirements to assume that its only on the edge of acceptably possible. And Even I think thats stretching it thin

I have no stakes in such an argument. I don't care that RDR2 isn't coming to the Switch, nor would I buy it if it did.

The point here is that you have people commenting on the feasibility of the game running on the Switch without actually understanding how game development works. That's what I've been responding to.

And no, the only way in which the Switch's hardware constraints are a problem in this case is if you are trying to make the game match the fidelity of the other versions. What I'm saying is that if you lowered the bar with a completely different goal in mind in terms of fidelity, working within the Switch's hardware shouldn't be an issue.

Now, that you even have to make a different version at all may be seen as a problem with the Switch's hardware, but I wasn't contesting that.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Ark is intact tho. The whole game is in there. It's the worst version, and so would be RDR 2, but many would play it that way because they can take it with them. That's like saying a film should not be watched on an iPad because it has to be watched on a 120" 4K HDR projector with Dolby Atmos sound.
What would it run like, 648p docked and 432p undocked, with less graphical flourish, blurrier textures and more agressive LoD management? It wouldn't look worse than RDR 1 did last gen. And it would look and run a lot better than Ark, that's for sure.

A film is also not a good example. With movies there is mainly just video and audio. However with a game, there are animations, gameplay mechanics, etc. The point I'm trying to make is that aspects of the experience: the detailed animation, far off draw distance, AI, etc. would likely be compromised to the point where the experience suffers. I'm talking about more than just the resolution or sound quality.

brainchild actually explains it very well in the quote below. I'm not sure most would consider this type of a port as "intact". Especially when it's all of these little details that helps produce the type of experience RDR2 provides.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Man, the fuck are you even on about? I'm talking from a technical perspective mate, has nothing to do with the story or feud with Konami. MGSV is one of my favourite games of this gen but you can't deny that the game has poor texture resolution, low poly geometry, weak lighting and awful volumetric cloud implementation. The FOX Engine was literally built from the ground-up to act as a cross-gen beast in Kojima's quest for photorealism and certain design philosophies such as how light and geometry are rendered separately and that KojiPro. With a few graphic tweaks on PC, it looks solid though. FOX Engine's use of linear-space lighting put through a deferred rendering pipeline is awesome, don't get me wrong. The way light interacts with plaster, metal, liquid and the such are done well, not to mention KojiPro absolutely nailed subsurface scattering and the different volumetric particle effects. However you could make the argument that if Konami hadn't pressured Kojima to develop for the PS3 and X360 then we wouldn't have 60fps on consoles.
The game looks great. The PBR implementation is excellent, it supports tons of lights in a scene with very little cost, there are some volumetrics in there, the post-processing is still top-tier, and the Fox Engine allowed lots of freedom to artists.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
It's one thing to cut down and port a linear, scripted game and a different thing to port an open world with complex AI, animations, streaming, etc. The two examples can't be compared.

Offcourse they can compare even if they are not same kind of games, point is that we talking of example of porting demading game from consoles that are like 20x stronger than Wii, Switch is far more closer to XB1/PS4 in any case than Wii was to PS3/360.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The game looks great. The PBR implementation is excellent, it supports tons of lights in a scene with very little cost, there are some volumetrics in there, the post-processing is still top-tier, and the Fox Engine allowed lots of freedom to artists.
I kinda rambled with that post but what I'm trying to say is from a purely technical perspective, MGSV could've been something else if KojiPro only focused on the XBO/PS4. The game looks good from a distance but once you start paying attention it is REALLY rough. IMO, MGSV is one of the best examples of a developer working with less and achieving a great result.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Offcourse they can compare even if they are not same kind of games, point is that we talking of example of porting demading game from consoles that are like 20x stronger than Wii, Switch is far more closer to XB1/PS4 in any case than Wii was to PS3/360.

True, but I don't think porting RDR2 would fair much better because of the different demands that type of game requires. I think one of the bigger differences is the more robust shader support in the Switch GPU. You could keep the same story, mechanics, world, and music but would be stripping out much of the animation, physics, draw distance, AI, etc.

Last edited:

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Getting really tired of the "development predated Switch" argument. We heard it with other games too. If they wanted a Switch version, they would have done it. There was time. Why is it so wrong to say that the Switch, a portable system, doesn't have the power to run certain games to the developers satisfaction? They're going to port RDR2 to PS5/XB2. What will you say then when they don't port it to Switch? Why can't Switch just be it's own thing? Either you're blue ocean or you're red ocean you can't be both Reggie.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
It be such a poor way to try to enjoy Red Dead. Looking pretty as fuck and atmosphere is what that game has going for it, aspects that would have to be heavily compromised to make it run on switch.

What else would be left of red dead switch? It's shittastic gameplay?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Probably not for a while due to the cartridge limitation.

But don't cartridge sizes go up to 64 GB? The game itself on PS4 is about 50GB. There are the patches and content updates of course, but those can be downloaded separately.

And worse comes to worst, they could just make people download the rest of the game like with Wolfenstein.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
True, but I don't think porting RDR2 would fair any better because of the different demands that type of game requires. You could keep the same story, mechanics, world, and music but would be stripping out much of the animation, physics, draw distance, AI, etc.

Of Course, game would need to be downgraded in any case, lower resolution, lower draw distance, effects, shadows...but it could be done if they really want Switch port (in which I doubt).

It's not that RDR2 "Skipped the switch," it's that the amount of investment needed to downgrade the game for the Switch would make it a product that not many people would want to buy relative to the development effort (cost), and late-stage revenue streams like Red Dead Online would be greatly diminished for the Switch.

This is also probably a reason why GTAV has never come to the Switch, despite launching on PS3 and Xbox 360. The amount of investment needed to make it for the Switch, and the small online community relative to other platforms, wouldn't justify either the initial retail/sales revenue or later revenue from the online component.

If Rockstar could get a huge return making the game for the Switch, they would. But realistically, they wouldn't.

"Never" is so strong word, Switch is less than 2 years on market, its not like it stopped receiving games.

Talking about costs, GTA V even on Switch and even without online would sold at least 3m+ at full price point of $60, and they would probably cover costs of port with less than 500k sold copies.

Apr 9, 2018
RDR was likely never going to be considered for the Switch even so, but the answer Reggie gives is the legitimate reason for other recent games that are more in the realm of possibility like Soul Calibur or Kingdom Hearts.

If you're a developer and you're already a year deep on making a game targeting the PS4, and then Nintendo shows you their new console and it's not as powerful as a PS4 and they're coming off of the WiiU, a huge flop, well you're probably not gonna immediately greenlight the additional resources to add the Switch to your pipeline.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Resources are different than objects that aren't resources. I'd assume there is going to be a delay once you pic something up for it to respawn again in that area. Kind of like how resources in Destiny work. You pick something up and then it goes on a timer. But again items are different things altogether, they do require some degree of persistence, the game doesn't have any for other things. For example in Bethesda games if you pick up a random bucket and out it on top of a desk it'll stay there forever until it's moved by you or someone. Ark works the same way I suppose.
I understand. Isnt that more related to memory/RAM however? Like you mention, Skyrim, that game was on last generation of consoles. Theres also Minecraft, which has to remember everything whats been done since its a "building simulator", but were both Skyrim and Minecraft on PS3/Xbox 360 more demanding than RDR2 as a whole? I cant imagine that.

I know the example was about ARK, but i'm just comparing feature sets and to see if those make a game more demanding or not. In certain areas, its very much possible. ARK on Android requires 3GB of RAM if i'm not mistaken. Thats not exactly a small amount. But as a whole? I dont think thats the case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
No, the position is one from an actual programmer and tech artist; you know, someone in the position to actually know how game development works. The reality is that if you're willing to sacrifice rendering fidelity, animation quality, physics accuracy, etc. you really lift a lot of the constraints that you'd normally have with weaker hardware, and as long as the gameplay and storytelling is the same, it would still be the same game, even if it's technically inferior.
OT but I love your BotW technical art stuff. Keep it up!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
"Never" is so strong word, Switch is less than 2 years on market, its not like it stopped receiving games.

"Has never" is not the same as "will never." "Has never come" is the past perfect tense, which just means that something hasn't happened (in this case). "Will never come" is the future perfect tense:

This website is a design abomination but explains here: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/tenses/past_perfect.htm

"I have never eaten a balogna sandwich" vs. "I will never eat a balogna sandwich."
"GTAV has never come to the switch," is a true statement.

plan9

Nov 22, 2017
It's not impossible, I bet Panic Button could do it.
With that said it would likely be in 720p or even sub-HD resolution with some serious downscaling on graphics, world detail and probably game AI/physics as well.
I'd still be interested in it for portability and as a tech demo though..