• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
So as some of you know, Reggie is coming over Cornell to give a lecture (he graduated from there afterall). What I didn't know, is that it's public, and starts in less than 40 minutes, at 7 PM!

As it turns out, this will be recorded, according to Cornell! I'll be posting a link to that when it happens.

For now though... well I live in Ithaca, so I'm at the auditorum waiting for our bodies to be ready! Here's a funny pic from the projector for now! Is Reggie trying to be cheeky with that sprite, or does it just look sorta like its in Mother 3's style rofl

image0.png

I also had a ton of fun playing smash with some folks, clearly a lot of Nintendo fans here! I don't think he'll talk too much about Nintendo considering its more about leadership. So this isnt some E3 conference or anything silly. Still, should be cool! Here's the offical page for it.

https://dyson.cornell.edu/event/leaders-in-residence-reggie-fils-aime/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theorymon

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017

Ok, seems like it won't be streamed, but it will be recorded. I'll update the thread when the recording hits. For now, I'll take notes on the lecture and my experience, and make a big fun post about it later! Sorry, I really thought this was going to be livestreamed!

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know people are joking but im sure there are actually a small hand full of hold outs expecting some news

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Reggie Fils-Aime will share principles for you to master so you can cultivate your own leadership capability. Reggie developed these principles through 35+ years of experience across a range of international industries and businesses."

This sounds like it is going to be pretty dry. But I am curious to hear how it turns out.

OP
OP
Theorymon

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
image0.jpg

It;s started! He's a great speaker so far. The dean even quoted his kicking ass line, and he feels very free of the PR fluff people associate him with!

When people applaused, he said "Wow, love you too!"

People are even applausing for him drinking water rofl, and he commented on it!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i miss his unique cadence where you knew he was definitely 100% a PR guy and in knowing that you somehow inexplicably felt comfortable with that fact

My experience at Reggie's Cornell Lecture
OP
OP
Theorymon

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Whew, I'm pooped, so I'm not gonna get too much into detail on how the lecture went until tomorrow.

What I can say though, is that I absoloutly loved it! Reggie was funny, personable, and his presentation had a very strong focus on what he personally thinks, makes a leader. He labled them under the 7 principles of leadership.

image0.jpg

Without going into toooo much detail (it was around an hour long!), some really cool moments in the lecture:

1: Yes, he talked about Nintendo a lot! Specfically, he talked about getting Wii sports bundled with the Wii, Nintendo's hanafuda history, how he once chatted with the person who engineered the NES to ask him its main goal (it was to play a good game of Donkey Kong of course :P), etc. In particular, he acknowledged that the Wii U was a failure pretty bluntly, but he called it a "failure foward" since it led to the Switch. Another funny ancedote: He seemed to talk to the Japanese side of Nintendo a LOT, more than just bussiness reasons. Apparently, they usually called him Reggie-san lol.

2. A particularly touching moment, is that he had a short segment about Iwata. The way he talked about him, they really seemed like close, personal friends. I also found it interesting that during the wii sports segment, he specfically mentioned that Iwata disagreed with bundling Wii Sports in the US at first! He described Iwata as a mentor figure, and that he learned the value of "silence" in bussiness from him, something he didn't see often in the more western bussinesses he worked at. Im only paraphrasing it here, but it was really interesting! Here's a picture of the Iwata slide, he even mentioned what the text behind him meant! It was related to Inovation I believe:

image0.jpg

3. Reggie wasn't some wooden, boring presenting here. Dude seemed to LOVE the audience, and interacted with it a lot. For example, he immeditly says "Wow, I love you too!" when the audience goes apeshit at his apperance. He was cracking jokes, responded to a dude that literally held up his launch Wii over his head, and in general was really receptive to us all. A really great one in particular, was when he straight up admited that the Wii U was a failure, but then added that it was a "a failure foward", one that led to... well, he gestured us, and the whole auditorum yells "THE NINTENDO SWITCH!!!". We had a really electric crowd here!

4. He went into a lot of detail into his 7 principles of leadership. It wasn't all just Nintendo. For example he talked about his time at P&E, and his time at Panda Express too! It seems like for Panda Express in particular, hes responsible for the kitchen design or something like that!

5. Something that made me really happy is that he had a strong focus on the importance of diversity. Not only did he seem to lambest organizations / companies that employ too many of the same kinds of people, he emphaized the importance of having a workforce with a variety of races, genders, and sexual orientations. He had a neat slide with Miis for this! Even better, the final question asked him about getting more women to work in the video game industry, and he went further and talked about how apparently, Nintendo of America had internal diversity programs that supported groups of women and LGTB people at the company!

image0.jpg

6. The questions got pretty interesting. Probably the highlight was someone asking about the Blizzard Hong Kong situation! Unfortunately, he stops just short of condeming China themselves (saying that its a very different market), but he saved it by praising the consumers response to Blizzard-Activision, and seemed to make it clear that he think they screwed up. However, he didn't view it as an issue of intregrity of leadership in this case, as he had a pretty specfic defination for it in the lecture.

7. Yes, someone asked about Mother 3, which caused a roar of laughter, and Reggie joking saying he thought he'd FINALLY escaped it until now rofl!

8. Possibly the craziest background to a question: So a guy talked about how to deal with feedback. Seems normal right? Well, he also talked about his apsirations, and this dude dreamed big.. his goal is to become the CEO of the Pokemon company in 38 years o______O. That's... one hell of a goal so to speak, and he mentioned something about trending on twitter and google, and he had people sign a clock. Not gonna lie, it was pretty odd, but Reggie reacted to it awesomely, saying that he'll be sure to remember this moment, and he looks foward to seeing him as the new CEO rofl.

9. Retro actually got brought up a tiny bit! Someone asked him about how Nintendo decides release dates for their close partners like the Pokemon Company. He said that that its a back and forth process, and mentioned that Retro Studios seems to have control over their release dates in a similar manner to the Pokemon Company. Not sure how reliable that is, I may have misheard it.

Overall, I had a great time, and the lecture was surprisngly very inspirational. Reggie had a big focus on learning from failure in particular. He still had a bit of the PR sheen, but he certainly felt more down to earth than say, he has in interviews of the past. Even stuff before and after the lecutre was cool! People gathered and played a lot of Smash and Pokemon Go while waiting, and Reggie even did a meet and greet with EVERYONE! Yeah seriously, I thought he was gonna leave at 9 PM like he was supposed to, but I think I heard him yell that he was gonna do it for everyone, and he stayed almost an HOUR after he was supposed to to make sure everyone got a selfie with him!

Yep... that's right, I got to shake hands with the Regginator himself, and got a picture taken with him! To make it extra sentimental, I actually did it with my N3DS open. Specfically, it was open on the Pokemon team I used to get 1st place in the recent Ultra Final Competition in Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, which Reggie seemed to think was a cool idea!

image0.jpg

Note that I paraprhased a LOT of this stuff. Thankfully, Cornell mentioned on their twitter that they will be releasing a video of the whole lecture on the internet sometime soon. as they had cameras everywhere for it! Theres so many cool details and fun questions that I just don't have the energy to type out now (I have to get up really early for class tomorrow). But yeah, I had a freaking blast, todaty was an unforgetable day!

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Now that is fucking awesome. I need to see this lecture for myself.

Good to know that Reggie is indeed very genuine, even outside of PR statements.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
I always thought of Reggie as a PR head during his time at NOA, but this made my day. The mother 3 joke you typed about was hilarious.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Which Cornell?

I'm kidding, it's always Cornell University. But I always find it humorous when people don't realize that there's not only two Cornells but the most well known one is actually the "younger brother" of the two.

OP
OP
Theorymon

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I forgot one key detail, but decided not to edit this in because this may be huge for some yall folks, figure I should drop this bomb before going to bed in its own post!

Someone asked what Reggie's favorite video game of all time is...

I had a bit of a hard time hearing it, but it seemed like it was...

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD!

Yeeeep, he went there, and the crowd went nuts with cheering! He did note that he holds A Link To The Past in pretty similar regard, but specified that under his mangement, Breath Of The Wild is the video game he's the most proud of.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whew, I'm pooped, so I'm not gonna get too much into detail on how the lecture went until tomorrow.

What I can say though, is that I absoloutly loved it! Reggie was funny, personable, and his presentation had a very strong focus on what he personally thinks, makes a leader. He labled them under the 7 principles of leadership.

image0.jpg

Without going into toooo much detail (it was around an hour long!), some really cool moments in the lecture:

1: Yes, he talked about Nintendo a lot! Specfically, he talked about getting Wii sports bundled with the Wii, Nintendo's hanafuda history, how he once chatted with the person who engineered the NES to ask him its main goal (it was to play a good game of Donkey Kong of course :P), etc. In particular, he acknowledged that the Wii U was a failure pretty bluntly, but he called it a "failure foward" since it led to the Switch. Another funny ancedote: He seemed to talk to the Japanese side of Nintendo a LOT, more than just bussiness reasons. Apparently, they usually called him Reggie-san lol.

2. A particularly touching moment, is that he had a short segment about Iwata. The way he talked about him, they really seemed like close, personal friends. I also found it interesting that during the wii sports segment, he specfically mentioned that Iwata disagreed with bundling Wii Sports in the US at first! He described Iwata as a mentor figure, and that he learned the value of "silence" in bussiness from him, something he didn't see often in the more western bussinesses he worked at. Im only paraphrasing it here, but it was really interesting! Here's a picture of the Iwata slide, he even mentioned what the text behind him meant! It was related to Inovation I believe:

image0.jpg

3. Reggie wasn't some wooden, boring presenting here. Dude seemed to LOVE the audience, and interacted with it a lot. For example, he immeditly says "Wow, I love you too!" when the audience goes apeshit at his apperance. He was cracking jokes, responded to a dude that literally held up his launch Wii over his head, and in general was really receptive to us all. A really great one in particular, was when he straight up admited that the Wii U was a failure, but then added that it was a "a failure foward", one that led to... well, he gestured us, and the whole auditorum yells "THE NINTENDO SWITCH!!!". We had a really electric crowd here!

4. He went into a lot of detail into his 7 principles of leadership. It wasn't all just Nintendo. For example he talked about his time at P&E, and his time at Panda Express too! It seems like for Panda Express in particular, hes responsible for the kitchen design or something like that!

5. Something that made me really happy is that he had a strong focus on the importance of diversity. Not only did he seem to lambest organizations / companies that employ too many of the same kinds of people, he emphaized the importance of having a workforce with a variety of races, genders, and sexual orientations. He had a neat slide with Miis for this! Even better, the final question asked him about getting more women to work in the video game industry, and he went further and talked about how apparently, Nintendo of America had internal diversity programs that supported groups of women and LGTB people at the company!

image0.jpg

6. The questions got pretty interesting. Probably the highlight was someone asking about the Blizzard Hong Kong situation! Unfortunately, he stops just short of condeming China themselves (saying that its a very different market), but he saved it by praising the consumers response to Blizzard-Activision, and seemed to make it clear that he think they screwed up. However, he didn't view it as an issue of intregrity of leadership in this case, as he had a pretty specfic defination for it in the lecture.

7. Yes, someone asked about Mother 3, which caused a roar of laughter, and Reggie joking saying he thought he'd FINALLY escaped it until now rofl!

8. Possibly the craziest background to a question: So a guy talked about how to deal with feedback. Seems normal right? Well, he also talked about his apsirations, and this dude dreamed big.. his goal is to become the CEO of the Pokemon company in 38 years o______O. That's... one hell of a goal so to speak, and he mentioned something about trending on twitter and google, and he had people sign a clock. Not gonna lie, it was pretty odd, but Reggie reacted to it awesomely, saying that he'll be sure to remember this moment, and he looks foward to seeing him as the new CEO rofl.

9. Retro actually got brought up a tiny bit! Someone asked him about how Nintendo decides release dates for their close partners like the Pokemon Company. He said that that its a back and forth process, and mentioned that Retro Studios seems to have control over their release dates in a similar manner to the Pokemon Company. Not sure how reliable that is, I may have misheard it.

Overall, I had a great time, and the lecture was surprisngly very inspirational. Reggie had a big focus on learning from failure in particular. He still had a bit of the PR sheen, but he certainly felt more down to earth than say, he has in interviews of the past. Even stuff before and after the lecutre was cool! People gathered and played a lot of Smash and Pokemon Go while waiting, and Reggie even did a meet and greet with EVERYONE! Yeah seriously, I thought he was gonna leave at 9 PM like he was supposed to, but I think I heard him yell that he was gonna do it for everyone, and he stayed almost an HOUR after he was supposed to to make sure everyone got a selfie with him!

Yep... that's right, I got to shake hands with the Regginator himself, and got a picture taken with him! To make it extra sentimental, I actually did it with my N3DS open. Specfically, it was open on the Pokemon team I used to get 1st place in the recent Ultra Final Competition in Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, which Reggie seemed to think was a cool idea!

image0.jpg

Note that I paraprhased a LOT of this stuff. Thankfully, Cornell mentioned on their twitter that they will be releasing a video of the whole lecture on the internet sometime soon. as they had cameras everywhere for it! Theres so many cool details and fun questions that I just don't have the energy to type out now (I have to get up really early for class tomorrow). But yeah, I had a freaking blast, todaty was an unforgetable day!
Great write up man, and yeah, I saw some comments on his twitter post about how he took a picture with them even when they were near the back of the line

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
This is a damn fine post! Glad to see he did take names, but at least now he can sit back and...play games.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Reggie emphasizing diversity isn't too surprising considering his own background, but it's still nice to see. Especially since unlike many others in a similar position, he does seem to care about increasing diversity across the board and not just for people like him (which isn't inherently wrong, but it's still better to spread opportunities to all types of underrepresented groups)

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Great write up OP, Reggie is a humble man and I'm glad to see he is much more relaxed and seemingly happy now that he's in retirement. It was insane to read that Wii Sports wasn't initially going to be bundled, that might of drastically changed how the Wii did if it wasn't.

I look forward to the video being posted when it's ready.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Can't wait for the recording!

Good on Reggie for being such a good sport about Mother 3 jokes, if I were him, I would be sick and tired of them.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It means creating something unique.

独創 = Dokusou = Creating Something Unique

This painting is framed on the wall of a conference room at Nintendo headquarters in Kyoto.

https://youtu.be/9AkPdAWfFjI?t=33s

KHZEcaQ.jpg

g46dD3q.jpg
I hope the new guard holds the company up to the same standard. So far everything is good, even better than Iwatas last 5 years (and RIP, what an unfortunate way to go) but you can't deny that sense of respect when you complete a game and see "Executive Producer: Satoru Iwata" mentioned. There's a great sense of honor to it when you hear Sakurai for example say that Iwata's last task given to him was "Make the ultimate smash brothers game." Yamaguchi picked Iwata, according to Shuntaro Furukawa, because he wanted someone who wouldn't easily be influenced by the opinions of other people, and you can definitely say Iwata held fast in his belief in the odd turns Nintendo were taking, which inspired great game developments, and maybe even held back costs of production and staff right when it was the most important, during the Wii era - providing the company with 5 more years of "last-gen" resources, in a good way, and to his credit it paid off.

I totally trust Nintendo is in good hands, but with both Reggie and Iwata having left there's always that tiny worry in me that the reins are free to be redefined and just be more about making money than ensuring quality and to "put smiles on people's face" which is what Nintendo is known for.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Very cool. Can't wait to see the full video. Some really good information in there, too. That Wii Sports bit is worthy of a new thread, IMO.

I would love to ask Reggie about why he believes he and Nintendo are so loved, and if he expected that when going into the role at Nintendo. There's a general dislike toward game companies (like EA, Activision, etc.) and a lot of scrutiny and distrust of company CEOs and presidents in general. But yet, Nintendo and Reggie were always different in that regard, where people just always loved them.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It means creating something unique.

独創 = Dokusou = Creating Something Unique

This painting is framed on the wall of a conference room at Nintendo headquarters in Kyoto.

https://youtu.be/9AkPdAWfFjI?t=33s

KHZEcaQ.jpg

g46dD3q.jpg
That video is very valuable for anyone who want to understand Nintendo's basis for success because it highlights the thought process behind Nintendo's success (when done right).

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
I hope the new guard holds the company up to the same standard. So far everything is good, even better than Iwatas last 5 years (and RIP, what an unfortunate way to go) but you can't deny that sense of respect when you complete a game and see "Executive Producer: Satoru Iwata" mentioned. There's a great sense of honor to it when you hear Sakurai for example say that Iwata's last task given to him was "Make the ultimate smash brothers game." Yamaguchi picked Iwata, according to Shuntaro Furukawa, because he wanted someone who wouldn't easily be influenced by the opinions of other people, and you can definitely say Iwata held fast in his belief in the odd turns Nintendo were taking, which inspired great game developments, and maybe even held back costs of production and staff right when it was the most important, during the Wii era - providing the company with 5 more years of "last-gen" resources, in a good way, and to his credit it paid off.

I totally trust Nintendo is in good hands, but with both Reggie and Iwata having left there's always that tiny worry in me that the reins are free to be redefined and just be more about making money than ensuring quality and to "put smiles on people's face" which is what Nintendo is known for.

I think Nintendo is in good hands:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ti...dy-to-take-nintendo-to-the-next-level.148575/

The spirits of Nintendo's old leaders are still deeply present in the company's philosophy an culture.

That video is very valuable for anyone who want to understand Nintendo's basis for success because it highlights the thought process behind Nintendo's success (when done right).

Exactly.

Last edited:

Concelhaut

Banned
Jun 10, 2019

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

Thx for the summary!

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

image0.jpg

C.Tsubasa should have gone lol

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Aw, I love it.

Reggie was such a good figure for Nintendo.

He continues to be such an awesome guy it seems. Now that he's gone it makes me appreciate him even more.

Personally I wish he was still at Nintendo doing his thing, but if moving on to other things makes him happy then good for him!

Ps. Does he have no connection with Nintendo at all? He doesn't own stocks or anything like that even??

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

just want to say, this is all awesome and I'm happy you got to experience this.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Man, I was so bummed out I couldn't make it down there. I live just an hour and a half away in Roc, but was in class until 7 with a quiz that day... Glad to know they recorded it though, will definitely check it out. Thanks for sharing your experience !