• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've been waiting to make a thread on this until I watched Episode 11 to be extra sure about this hunch. After having just watched Ace Attorney Season 2 Episode 10 & 11 (They're available to watch on Cruncyroll here) we're well past this being just a coincidence.

Firstly for those who don't know. Shu Takumi (Creator of Ace Attorney) was the main planner of Dino Crisis 1 and the director for Dino Crisis 2. Dino Crisis was also referenced into the Ace Attorney Universe with Ace Attorney Investigations: Mile Edgeworth use of Borginia in a case. Which is a fictional country that was made to be the location Dino Crisis 1 is set in.

Now we have the recent Ace Attorney Season 2 anime which just took the nods a step further.

Firstly you have Dino Crisis's Lead Star Regina now under the name Regina Locomoti who is sporting a practically 1:1 design to her video game counterpart. Wikia page here
220px-Regina_%28Dino_Crisis%29.png
Du5bNpzW4AEWp9z.jpg

Next up you have Gail. Which in this anime is spelled Gale, and has the furthest removed design from his original counterpart. However, the basis of name (Even if spelled differently) and being a blonde is kept. Wikia page Here
FQR6APj.png
Du5be2TWwAAnKqa.jpg

Lastly there's Rick. Where everything comes together. While the character was unfortunately made whiter in tone than his game appearance. He's sporting the same hair-style across both appearances. Wikia Page Here
rickdax3iyl.png
Du5c1PIW4AEbMLs.jpg

This is an absolutely fascinating turn of events. Even if it's just an easter egg, whoever was responsible went the extra mile for something not many people would outright notice. Hell, even the first time I watched it I totally missed Rick and Gail since I was too focused on what Regina would be up to. There's still one more episode in this particular arc and i'll be sure to update if any more Dino Crisis mentions come across. I almost wonder if this is Shu's doing, since he is the script supervisor for the anime and could've made the suggestion to use these characters. Or on the flipside someone else working on the anime series could just be a big fan of the series like I am. Regardless, i'm very happy we're able to end the year on what I feel is pretty big Dino Crisis news.

UPDATE:
Looks like we have Shu to thank for this.

I believe Takumi wrote the story for this arc, not just script review. He also cheekily confirmed the nod before the first episode while he was tweeting about meeting up with Mikami for the first time in a long time:

Translation said:
Come to think of it, I wonder what the Dino Crisis characters are up to these days... I feel like I've seen Regina, Gale, and Rick somewhere recently...

Last edited:

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Wait, the anime has actual original content that is not directly taken from the games?

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, the anime has actual original content that is not directly taken from the games?

Aside from two one-shot episodes, which were 'just' character backstories (e.g. Miles and Nick when they're young teens), yeah, this is a multi-episode arc treated, as a full case.

Also, this is an amazing pull. My goodness.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching after they skipped the first case from the third game to do the first case from the second game instead. I need to catch up on this huh

Edit: What's the premise for the case? Is Nick trying to figure out who really murdered the Dino Crisis series?

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Takumi wrote the story for this arc, not just script review. He also cheekily confirmed the nod before the first episode while he was tweeting about meeting up with Mikami for the first time in a long time:

Translation said:
Come to think of it, I wonder what the Dino Crisis characters are up to these days... I feel like I've seen Regina, Gale, and Rick somewhere recently...

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I should watch the new season. I forgot it was being made because the original kind of bounced off of my memory.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

That's awesome. So this was intentional and he even talked to Mikami about this. I figured you or someone else would update me on the Ace Attorney side of things. So thank you for this. Gonna add it to the OP!

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching after they skipped the first case from the third game to do the first case from the second game instead. I need to catch up on this huh

Edit: What's the premise for the case? Is Nick trying to figure out who really murdered the Dino Crisis series?

well now he's gonna be trying to figure out who killed Jawmuncher after this post

Jokes aside, the basics of it are: Nick and Maya are invited aboard the first run of the Silver Star train owned by eccentric millionare Avery Richman. The Judge and Gumshoe are also there. In the middle of the night, Richman hijacks the train with the help of his assistants (including Regina and Rick) and gathers everyone together to reveal all the invitees were involved in a murder case he was falsely found guilty in a year ago. He demands a new trial then and there with Phoenix as the defense and anime-original prosecutor Tristan Turnbull as the prosecution.

The final episode is next week, it's just a three-episode arc.

Also, 3-1 will be getting an hour-long special in January.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome. So this was intentional and he even talked to Mikami about this. I figured you or someone else would update me on the Ace Attorney side of things. So thank you for this. Gonna add it to the OP!

Quick clarification: he didn't meet up with Mikami just to talk about this or make it happen - Mikami just called Takumi up out of the blue two weeks ago and they went out and caught up. Just a nice coincidence that this happened right before this case made its anime debut! (It's been running as a manga for a little while in V-Jump, IIRC.)

Pic of the two of them hanging out for the first time in years:

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Quick clarification: he didn't meet up with Mikami just to talk about this or make it happen - Mikami just called Takumi up out of the blue two weeks ago and they went out and caught up. Just a nice coincidence that this happened right before this case made its anime debut! (It's been running as a manga for a little while in V-Jump, IIRC.)

Pic of the two of them hanging out for the first time in years:

Ahh, I remember this from awhile back. Yeah makes sense this picture wasn't just for this.
But it's cool nonetheless that they were able to meet like that before the episodes airing. Since they surely ended up talking about it, even if only for a brief moment.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
well now he's gonna be trying to figure out who killed Jawmuncher after this post

Jokes aside, the basics of it are: Nick and Maya are invited aboard the first run of the Silver Star train owned by eccentric millionare Avery Richman. The Judge and Gumshoe are also there. In the middle of the night, Richman hijacks the train with the help of his assistants (including Regina and Rick) and gathers everyone together to reveal all the invitees were involved in a murder case he was falsely found guilty in a year ago. He demands a new trial then and there with Phoenix as the defense and anime-original prosecutor Tristan Turnbull as the prosecution.

The final episode is next week, it's just a three-episode arc.

Also, 3-1 will be getting an hour-long special in January.

This sounds pretty good. The biggest issue I had with the first season was that they tried too hard to mimic parts of the game they had no chance of matching (courtroom scenes) when really their strong suit was the investigation scenes. Having a lot more of it be original is a great move.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Making Rick white is weird and unnecessary, but otherwise cool nods. Won't watch the episodes since I thought the anime was pretty bad from what I saw (first 4 episodes of S1).

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
That's awesome.

On a related note, should I be watching this anime? I'm a HUGE Ace Attorney fan.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
Uuuh, wait, Takumi writes original cases for the anime?

It's the exception, not the rule. There was one original ep last season that showed Phoenix+Edgeworth+Larry as kids when DL-6 happened, and one this season that showed some of Edgeworth's life growing up with the von Karmas. This arc is the only original case set in the present across either season (unless they have another one later this season, but I doubt it.)

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
I totally forgot this was a thing but this is the best possible reminder. Gonna have to start it tonight

Oct 25, 2017
It's the exception, not the rule. There was one original ep last season that showed Phoenix+Edgeworth+Larry as kids when DL-6 happened, and one this season that showed some of Edgeworth's life growing up with the von Karmas. This arc is the only original case set in the present across either season (unless they have another one later this season, but I doubt it.)
Ah, okay, that makes sense. For a hot minute I thought was missing a bunch of Takumi for not watching since the season one.

HamsterDude

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh gosh, this is just making me nervous because I was hyped for the Dahlia Hawthorne arc to be in this second season of the anime.

Right now they're on a train and its been awhile since I played the games but I'm pretty darn sure its an anime-original case. And now there's going to be another anime-original arc? I'm worried that they won't get to the Dahlia Hawthorne cases this season. I hope that they do..