• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrPanic

Oct 25, 2017
Obnoxious video indeed, but he's on point. Absolutely horrible singleplayer modes riddled with the 8-man smash trash that's just not fun to play at all unless you actually have 8 people in a room. Smash Tour which might be one of the worst modes ever invented. And just no incentive to unlock stuff because it all went to the custom fighter system that I personally hated and avoided. Smash 4 Wii U is one of my least liked Smash games and the least played one by far.

However, Smash 4 for 3DS I enjoyed quite a bit, primarily because the singleplayer modes weren't ruined by 8 man smash, Smash Run was actually a good mode compared to Smash Tour and I liked the stages in the 3ds version better.

Kawika

Nov 30, 2017
I don't feel anything while playing the game, either. I haven't had fun with Smash Bros. since Melee.

I've bought all the games and it even got me into the Amiibo somewhat but at the end of the day, i still prefer Melee and i think it might be the only game in the series I actually like. This game is like, I hope someone comes over and wants to play smash so I can have fun with this thing I bought.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Honestly its clear that hes only taking advantage of this because of Smash 5. His entire channel was founded upon Smash 4, its just weird to me that he announces he dislikes it as soon as a new game comes out so he can switch his content to the next smash game.
To be fair, you could see that he moved away from doing Smash Wii U/3DS videos at some point last year (9 months back as of when this post was made). This review does kinda put that move into context.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
See I think magnet hands could kinda be toned down a little bit.

But fuck Melee ledge mechanics. That shit is wack, and I'm glad it's gone. Smash is better for it.

Overall the only thing I kinda agree with is single player modes. Generally speaking though, it's all still a vast step up over Brawl.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Nearly choked on my dinner when Eric Andre bird up'd out of nowhere.

Also I agree with him wholeheartedly.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

But fuck Melee ledge mechanics. That shit is wack, and I'm glad it's gone. Smash is better for it.

Overall the only thing I kinda agree with is single player modes. Generally speaking though, it's all still a vast step up over Brawl.

the only thing they could improve about melees edge mechanics is edge stalling. Other than that its one of the more satisfying things to do.
having the ledge always open, even when someones already hanging from it is just one of the many changes that are designed for accessibility that weren't necessary

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, for being the most fast-paced, action-packed Smash game, Melee has the weakest fucking impact effects and sound effects.... ever. It's limp as hell. It's practically a downgrade from Smash 64.

Smash 4 is only really second in impact effects to the original game.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Melee ledge mechanics works for Melee. But with so many aerial options for some of the characters, ledge options have to change for 4 otherwise certain characters are just unviable because of their poor aerial recovery.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the only thing they could improve about melees edge mechanics is edge stalling. Other than that its one of the more satisfying things to do.
having the ledge always open, even when someones already hanging from it is just one of the many changes that are designed for accessibility that weren't necessary

Because when you have characters that are really good in the air, the best option is to make so they have an even better aerial game by edge guarding.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just really do not care for this stuff. It's extremely boring to me. There's rarely anything exciting or fun about hogging a ledge after knocking someone off the stage. Meanwhile in Smash 4 I way more enjoy the fact that it forces you to put in the effort to make sure they stay the hell off the stage. Seeing recovering characters pull off techs from stage spikes and other crazy exchanges is way more entertaining than this ever is.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Because when you have characters that are really good in the air, the best option is to make so they have an even better aerial game by edge guarding.

it would make characters like lil mac even worse at recovering yeah, but its still one of the factors that lead to games being played with half the stock count. It wasn't even just the edge mechanics for getting back to stage either, the reusable airdodge meant you could dodge anything thrown at you unless they bait it out/read it.

Just feels like so much tension is gone when there are so many more ways to recover, and not many setups/combos that lead to a meteor spike, as alex points out with exchanges often being a single hit.

I just really do not care for this stuff. It's extremely boring to me. There's rarely anything exciting or fun about hogging a ledge after knocking someone off the stage. Meanwhile in Smash 4 I way more enjoy the fact that it forces you to put in the effort to make sure they stay the hell off the stage. Seeing recovering characters pull off techs from stage spikes and other crazy exchanges is way more entertaining than this ever is.

Im not sure what you mean about going off stage when that happens naturally in melee because combos lead to off stage, and part of what made this 4 stock in under a minute possible.

I don't think you have to worry about that being brought back however.

Last edited:

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Ugh this video irritated me. Never watched this guy before but he spends way too much time flashing random shit in your face and it takes him about 5 minutes into the video to start talking about why he doesn't like the game.

Sometimes there's something to be said for just having a guy with a cool background talking about the game. Swapping ocassionally between footage of the game and his/her face.

I can never understand this childishness with videogame YouTube reviews. I've never seen this with movie YouTube reviews but I'm sure it exists too.

Anyway rant over all I could get from his vid is he was disappointed with the single player. At least it tries to have one though , Mario Kart was been getting away with this for years.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, for being the most fast-paced, action-packed Smash game, Melee has the weakest fucking impact effects and sound effects.... ever. It's limp as hell. It's practically a downgrade from Smash 64.

Smash 4 is only really second in impact effects to the original game.

this is just not true

landing a marth tipper f smash or falcon's knee the impact is thunderous. that impact is gone in brawl and smash 4.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yep! I mentioned NA in my post, but I believe it applies to all non-Japanese regions. And yeah, Nintendo seems to have standardized localization these days. That version also removed the beam sword sound fx, presumably out of copyright concern

Wow, can't believe I'm only finding this out now. Those sound effects are like a defining feature of the 64 game to me, I feel lied to.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure what you mean about going off stage when that happens naturally in melee because combos lead to off stage, and part of what made this 4 stock in under a minute possible.

Sets like these are the exception though - partially because of the stage size kinda necessitating it. Most people wouldn't do what Axe did in this set under normal circumstances. He could've sealed a few of these stocks already by just hogging the edge. The fact that he didn't is part of the reason this set was so exciting to watch. What I like about Smash 4 is the fact that there is no way to edge hog for a free kill once you've knocked someone off on a larger stage. Why do you think so many Foxes and Falcos just straight up SD once they've entered a bubble? At that point you might as well give up.

this is just not true

landing a marth tipper f smash or falcon's knee the impact is thunderous. that impact is gone in brawl and smash 4.

I can't really say anything other than "I disagree" to this. In both cases, I way prefer the impact in Smash 4.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh this video irritated me. Never watched this guy before but he spends way too much time flashing random shit in your face and it takes him about 5 minutes into the video to start talking about why he doesn't like the game.

Sometimes there's something to be said for just having a guy with a cool background talking about the game. Swapping ocassionally between footage of the game and his/her face.

I can never understand this childishness with videogame YouTube reviews. I've never seen this with movie YouTube reviews but I'm sure it exists too.

Anyway rant over all I could get from his vid is he was disappointed with the single player. At least it tries to have one though , Mario Kart was been getting away with this for years.
Still on point:

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it would make characters like lil mac even worse at recovering yeah, but its still one of the factors that lead to games being played with half the stock count. It wasn't even just the edge mechanics for getting back to stage either, the reusable airdodge meant you could dodge anything thrown at you unless they bait it out/read it.

Just feels like so much tension is gone when there are so many more ways to recover, and not many setups/combos that lead to a meteor spike, as alex points out with exchanges often being a single hit.

But those recovery options is to balance out the aerial fighting. And even then, I find there is more tension because for all the aerial options there are, a lot of them are easily punishable if you know what you're doing.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is just not true

? I...this is again a nothing statement where your put your opinion as fact and then seem to want to win because I can't counter an opinion.

Nov 23, 2017
I'm happy to give Brawl points for ambition while still acknowledging that 4 is more fun to play, has better balance AND a better roster.
This. This thread is total Nintendo cycle: everyone loves a game until the shiny new thing comes, then it's terrible. But then that shiny new thing is terrible and smash 4 will be considered the gold standard and people will whine and say why did they move away from that stuff we said we hated but now like??

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everything, until the fighting part, because, I never put as much hours as in melee and brawl and that was becuase of point 1, everything surrounding it sucks major balls.
And the 3DS had the fault of a lot of it IMO. And fuck that game for breaking the shitty 3ds joystick, that console was not made for that kind of game.

The characters are great, the graphics are great, the music is great.
But is the most underwhelming smash ever. Thats why I want a major change for the switch game. Menus, presentation, a real singleplayer, better multiplayer modes (aparts from the fighting classic ones). Leave the characters, leave the balace (tweak were needed), get rid of everything else.
I also need a real intro this time.

This. This thread is total Nintendo cycle: everyone loves a game until the shiny new thing comes, then it's terrible. But then that shiny new thing is terrible and smash 4 will be considered the gold standard and people will whine and say why did they move away from that stuff we said we hated but now like??

No, I still will criticise what brawl got wrong (the sotry mode should have been a different thing, BUT you fix what was wrong, you dont delete it and make the next game feel less big), but wiiU is a worse game overall for me.

Honestly its clear that hes only taking advantage of this because of Smash 5. His entire channel was founded upon Smash 4, its just weird to me that he announces he dislikes it as soon as a new game comes out so he can switch his content to the next smash game.

Everything he criticises in this video he has always been vocal about it in other ones. He also did a series where he talks about the character design, something he says he actually likes in this video also.
This only just put everything together. And of course a smash youtuber is going to make a video talking about the old game hust a week before we see the new one, thats how they earn money. But im sure if he loved wiiu there would be also a video but instead of criticising he would have been praising and commenting what he wants back for the new one.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Sets like these are the exception though - partially because of the stage size kinda necessitating it. Most people wouldn't do what Axe did in this set under normal circumstances. He could've sealed a few of these stocks already by just hogging the edge. The fact that he didn't is part of the reason this set was so exciting to watch. What I like about Smash 4 is the fact that there is no way to edge hog for a free kill once you've knocked someone off on a larger stage. Why do you think so many Foxes and Falcos just straight up SD once they've entered a bubble? At that point you might as well give up.

Outside of floaty matchups, this is bread and butter and what gets the crowd going to this day. Going off stage to end a combo or limit options is something a lot of characters just do ie. the Ken combo that everyone probably knows how to do by this point. there are compilations specifically for edge battles or gimps or anything else

No axe couldn't have just hogged the ledge since fox's recovery would make it back from there and has a ridiculous fire hurt box, and they can also tech the stage if you let them ride the wall up as demonstrated perfectly in the same video at this timestamp

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of floaty matchups, this is bread and butter and what gets the crowd going to this day. Going off stage to end a combo or limit options is something a lot of characters just do ie. the Ken combo that everyone probably knows how to do by this point. there are compilations specifically for edge battles or gimps or anything else

No axe couldn't have just hogged the ledge since fox's recovery would make it back from there and has a ridiculous fire hurt box, and they can also tech the stage if you let them ride the wall up as demonstrated perfectly in the same video at this timestamp
It's kind of telling that a large majority of the examples in that video are from Yoshi's Story - a stage which has a small blast zone and basically forces you to fight off stage given how you're always within recovery range of the stage. You aren't going to see ledge battles like this on FD, Battlefield or Dream Land very often. Sometimes, perhaps, but not often. At the end of the day my point still stands about moments like these when you fight for the edge being more commonplace in Smash 4 given the ledges and recovery capabilities. There's no free kill from hogging the edge, and so most players will go in deep to ensure those kills.

And you can still hog the ledge against Fox by using the getup animation which is invincible, and is what people always use.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of telling that a large majority of the examples in that video are from Yoshi's Story - a stage which has a small blast zone and basically forces you to fight off stage given how you're always within recovery range of the stage. You aren't going to see ledge battles like this on FD, Battlefield or Dream Land very often. Sometimes, perhaps, but not often. At the end of the day my point still stands about moments like these when you fight for the edge being more commonplace in Smash 4 given the ledges and recovery capabilities. There's no free kill from hogging the edge, and so most players will go in deep to ensure those kills.

And you can still hog the ledge against Fox by using the getup animation which is invincible, and is what people always use.

Really not sure what you mean by free kill when I just showed you how deep the edge mechanics were. I feel like im just wasting effort because you dont want to actually listen to what im saying?
If you want examples of those kinds of things on other stages ill find them for you, but not if its a waste of my fucking time.

I really think you just don't quite understand what was happening there. His recovery goes so far that you're not likely to kill fox by taking the edge from his max range fire fox (they will go for an overshoot if it looks like you're going to take edge, which is a mindgame in itself)

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is wrong actually. This guy has had a history for saying this about Smash 4, and it's the reason he cut his coverage of the game short.

Nov 23, 2017
I agree with everything, until the fighting part, because, I never put as much hours as in melee and brawl and that was becuase of point 1, everything surrounding it sucks major balls.
And the 3DS had the fault of a lot of it IMO. And fuck that game for breaking the shitty 3ds joystick, that console was not made for that kind of game.

The characters are great, the graphics are great, the music is great.
But is the most underwhelming smash ever. Thats why I want a major change for the switch game. Menus, presentation, a real singleplayer, better multiplayer modes (aparts from the fighting classic ones). Leave the characters, leave the balace (tweak were needed), get rid of everything else.
I also need a real intro this time.

No, I still will criticise what brawl got wrong (the sotry mode should have been a different thing, BUT you fix what was wrong, you dont delete it and make the next game feel less big), but wiiU is a worse game overall for me.

Everything he criticises in this video he has always been vocal about it in other ones. He also did a series where he talks about the character design, something he says he actually likes in this video also.
This only just put everything together. And of course a smash youtuber is going to make a video talking about the old game hust a week before we see the new one, thats how they earn money. But im sure if he loved wiiu there would be also a video but instead of criticising he would have been praising and commenting what he wants back for the new one.
Er, that isn't really related to what I meant. I meant the opinion that smash 4 was better than brawl was clearly apparently a few years ago now the revisionist history is that brawl is better (including mechanically)

Nov 23, 2017
Really not sure what you mean by free kill when I just showed you how deep the edge mechanics were. I feel like im just wasting effort because you dont want to actually listen to what im saying?
If you want examples of those kinds of things on other stages ill find them for you, but not if its a waste of my fucking time.

I really think you just don't quite understand what was happening there. His recovery goes so far that you're not likely to kill fox by taking the edge from his max ranmge fire fox (they will go for an overshoot if it looks like you're going to take edge, which is a mindgame in itself)
Not everyone thinks melee is that impressive or cool...it's certainly not deep because one percent of one percent of players abuse edge mechanics. And telling someone they don't understand is really condesending.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think you're quite understanding what I'm getting at because you're coming with a lot of extraneous examples to my point (like, you bringing up the Ken Combo - a setup that starts from the ground and leads into an unrecoverable spike - has literally nothing to do with ledges whatsoever). The point isn't that you can't fight for the edge in Melee; the point is you're not likely to do that outside of very specific circumstances because in most cases it is optimal to just straight up hog the ledge, especially on bigger stages where if you get knocked into a bubble at a horizontal angle, you might as well give up because you'e not getting back - even if you reach the ledge. Yes, you've shown examples of people going out of their way to fight for the edge (on small stages where people recovering can just go straight for the stage) - that's the kind of shit I want to see more of, and the fact that you do see more of it in Smash 4 because of the change in ledge mechanics makes it more exciting to me. You don't just see people give up once they're in the corners of the blast zone. They actually try to get back, because camping the ledge isn't a binary decision that results in the recovering player's death.

I really think you just don't quite understand what was happening there. His recovery goes so far that you're not likely to kill fox by taking the edge from his max range fire fox.

Hasn't stopped the many, many times it's actually happened, given the prevalence of space animals.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Er, that isn't really related to what I meant. I meant the opinion that smash 4 was better than brawl was clearly apparently a few years ago now the revisionist history is that brawl is better (including mechanically)
The only thing better about Brawl was the single-player content. The multiplayer content, the identity of Smash Bros., is the best it has ever been in Wii U.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone thinks melee is that impressive or cool...it's certainly not deep because one percent of one percent of players abuse edge mechanics. And telling someone they don't understand is really condesending.

When someone goes out of their way to explain a game series they have spent most of their life playing since 20 years ago, participating in and studying and teaching players, then they should at least try to understand what you're saying instead of just calling something "free kills" and "abusing mechanics". Ignoring all of that and saying "not everyone thinks its cool" or hyperbole like "only 1% of players do it" is legitimately condescending, you hypocrite.

I don't think you're quite understanding what I'm getting at because you're coming with a lot of extraneous examples to my point (like, you bringing up the Ken Combo - a setup that starts from the ground and leads into an unrecoverable spike - has literally nothing to do with ledges whatsoever). The point isn't that you can't fight for the edge in Melee; the point is you're not likely to do that outside of very specific circumstances because in most cases it is optimal to just straight up hog the ledge, especially on bigger stages where if you get knocked into a bubble at a horizontal angle, you might as well give up because you'e not getting back - even if you reach the ledge. Yes, you've shown examples of people going out of their way to fight for the edge (on small stages where people recovering can just go straight for the stage) - that's the kind of shit I want to see more of, and the fact that you do see more of it in Smash 4 because of the change in ledge mechanics makes it more exciting to me. You don't just see people give up once they're in the corners of the blast zone. They actually try to get back, because camping the ledge isn't a binary decision that results in the recovering player's death.

Hasn't stopped the many, many times it's actually happened, given the prevalence of space animals.

There is nothing binary about the edge mechanics in melee, and calling it camping is just reductive. Characters like Marth for example might seem like they have a linear recovery game if you're new, but they have so many variations to get back in that its rarely a case of just getting him off stage and holding ledge.

Watch leffen vs axe, or armada vs leffen, or anything like that 90% of the kills are not just holding edge. Armada even coined his own off stage spike where you jump way out there and hit fox out of his recovery before it starts.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing binary about the edge mechanics in melee, and calling it camping is just reductive. Characters like Marth for example might seem like they have a linear recovery game if you're new, but they have so many variations to get back in that its rarely a case of just getting him off stage and holding ledge.

Cool! Then let them have those and get rid of the edge hogging.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is wrong actually. This guy has had a history for saying this about Smash 4, and it's the reason he cut his coverage of the game short.
I actually mentioned this earlier in the thread. You can see this change as far back as 9 months ago (as of now) when he moved on to videos covering Nintendo in general (& even DBFZ for one video) and becoming more critical of Smash Wii U/3DS, & most of this was before Smash Switch was announced (I think the DBFZ video came after, but you get the idea).