• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Revealed in this gamesindustry.biz feature on Remedy Entertainment published today

control-ray-traced-geforce-rtx-screenshot-001.jpg
Control's standing as a creative work is beyond question, but when Remedy set out to reinvent the way it made games in 2016, it was done as much in the name of stability as artistic freedom. The fact that we never got an Alan Wake 2 was not Remedy's decision -- more on that soon, we hope -- and it saw the power to make those choices as absolutely central to a brighter future for its business. A game like Control will always be a gamble, of course, but Remedy now has more influence on exactly how long it can wait for that gamble to pay off.

"Control was developed in three years with a budget of less than €30 million," says Remedy CEO Tero Virtala. "We don't quite require the same huge lifetime numbers as many other games with bigger development budgets. Therefore, even though Control didn't have chart-topping sales right from the get go, we are in a good position with steady sales. We always take the long view here.

control-ray-traced-geforce-rtx-screenshot-004.jpg
"Nowadays, the majority of sales for many games are generated over a long period of time in digital stores -- and Control continues to sell, which is good. We are bringing more free and paid content to the game. It has the proven high-quality and uniqueness, and the word-of-mouth that keeps growing. There is still a big audience out there that hasn't yet heard of Control. These are all factors that support the longer-term sales.

"Strategically, it has been highly important that we have succeeded in establishing a new brand. In our industry, this is very challenging: new games come every now and then, but very few break through and become something special. It is of course still very early days, but Control is showing good signs of establishing itself and having a growing fan base."

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad it wasn't a bomb for them. Remedy deserves to do well and I would hate for them to close down.

I also selfishly wish they optimized Control for base consoles so I didn't have to skip it until next gen.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Remedy's best by a long shot IMO, one of my favourites of this year. Was kind of worried about how it had performed, really glad to hear this.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
All the people who hop into those threads just to write bomba and leave based on little evidence are annoying.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018
Already owned it on EGS, but still picked it up for PS4 during Black Friday. Great game.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Glad it didn't bomb for them but i hope next time they do something other than a 'cinematic sci-fi experience'. Iam so done with their games due to that.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
The reason I didn't buy it on launch was because of the performance issues I read about. I'm tired of rewarding companies for buggy products. I got it for Black Friday and I'm enjoying it but even with patches the performance is wonky at times. I will say, performance issues aside I am really, really enjoying the game.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I thought the atmosphere in this game was top notch, I was waiting for a David Lynch to pop up somewhere. I bought Control day one and don't regret it, not a perfect game but a very good one. Hope they continue the series/universe

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
That's good to hear. I enjoyed my time with it but was a bit worried that it had underperformed.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Control is terrific so glad it's been a success for them. Regret playing it at launch though as it was a fucking sideshow on the pro. Probably one of the worst performing games of this gen I've played.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Still need to do my part and get this game, I'm still very interested in it and will play it when I'm done with a few other games.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
This is putting a brave face on in a bad situation. They also mentioned before release that they'd need to sell between 1m to 2m to just break even and I really doubt they are anywhere close to that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Glad it didn't bomb for them but i hope next time they do something other than a 'cinematic sci-fi experience'. Iam so done with their games due to that.

Not trying to be snarky, but what would you prefer out of them? This is kind of their wheelhouse so I'm curious if you had a particular thing you'd want to see them do after this.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I don't feel as guilty for waiting for the inevitable game pass release then.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing game, I just wish they just didnt tack on the whole SCP aspect. The main quest almost seem like it has no connection with the setting. ITs a lot more House of Leaves than SCP.

Oct 26, 2017
Grabbed it two weeks ago and was glued to it beginning to end and even got all achievements. Can't wait for the DLC. I think it's their best work by a huge margin and a Game of the Gen contender.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad they don't feel like a total failure, I absolutely loved the game and would love to see more from them with a similar level of investment and creativity. My only wish was that the game was better optimized and ran a little better (even on a One X, this is one of the worst-running games I've played in a really long time), but maybe that will take a slightly higher budget or more time for their next time.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Not trying to be snarky, but what would you prefer out of them? This is kind of their wheelhouse so I'm curious if you had a particular thing you'd want to see them do after this.
Honestly anything other than what i just wrote..I've seen a couple of their games using this formula.. quantum break and this and iam pretty much fed up with that.

They could try doing a third person detective game or some sort of other cinematic experience even just not Sci-Fi like Control and QB. These games didn't appeal to me one bit.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many people are like me and are just waiting to purchase games like these after the RTX 3000 series hits. I want to buy it, but I want my first experience with the game to have next gen performance.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I really enjoyed Control and might look at grabbing that DLC.. I rarely get DLC for games but really enjoyed this game in particular. Just a blast to play

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Probably my GOTY at this point. It's a shame it didn't get the initial attention it deserved.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I bought it on Black Friday, it was 50% off. I just upgraded to Xbox One X too, hopefully it doesn't run like shit.

I'm really glad they don't feel like a total failure, I absolutely loved the game and would love to see more from them with a similar level of investment and creativity. My only wish was that the game was better optimized and ran a little better (even on a One X, this is one of the worst-running games I've played in a really long time), but maybe that will take a slightly higher budget or more time for their next time.

Well damn :/

I had seen some gameplay on PS4 Pro and the stuttering was horrendous especially when the game was paused for some reason

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Looking forward to giving this a try when it's on Steam and on sale. RTX cards at that point should be enough to power through this game with everything turned up.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Yknow, I totally believe that Control has the legs to keep generating sales for a good long time. Word of mouth is strong with this one!

I wonder how many people are gonna buy a copy for their SO for christmas?