• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Onvious

Nov 16, 2019
So much for the Sony speculation. Glad to see that they're getting new funding as well as being allowed to keep their IP.

Worked out fine for Control.

Activision let From keep the rights to Sekiro afaik.

Other possibilities include:
-Private Division (Take Two)
-Focus Home Interactive
-THQ Nordic

I thought Activision was just a publisher for West for sekiro. Nice to know.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
arent AW, QB and control all set in the same universe? at least alan wake and control are.
Not sure about QB but the quote says "franchise" and not "universe". Would be weird if the big game was Alan Wake 2 and the small game was for example Quantum Break Kart in that case. Not the same franchise. I guess it could be a cross-over though.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Consoles and PC and they're retaining the IP? Seems very unlikely unless Sony has massively loosened requirements for funding IPs they don't own.
Does not say it will release on booth day1, Sony made the same deal with Death Stranding (PC Port 6 months later), why else would they not be able tho tell who the Pub is? Dont know about IP rights regarding DS.

Imo its either MS or Sony. Wouldn't every other Pub want positive news right now for their shareholders (the ones that can afford AAA )?

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Here's hoping that this publisher gives them the marketing budget they need to do promote their next title. Remedy deserve far, far better than having their games overlooked by the broader public.

Y'know, Alan Wake 2 or not (we can hope!), I'm just really glad that Remedy gets to exist and continue developing games
Unannounced IP says NEW IP for me. I'm wrong ?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Let's not count Sony out just yet. They've been helping funding projects that stay exclusive for like 6 months before moving to other platforms and are about to release previously exclusive 1st party titles on PC as well. Who knows.
But it's probably not them.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MS would certainly fit that bill, since Remedy are doing Crossfire. Probably 505 though or Focus.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Oh shit, I just remembered that MS gave the rights to Alan Wake back. So it's possible we're gonna see a sequel.

However, I don't think we will.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
505 games owns Control until 2039.
I wasn't aware they had made that kind of deal with 505, but wouldn't that just apply to the first Control? Remedy owns the IP, after all.

Does 505 have first right of refusal on the sequels or something?

Oh shit, I just remembered that MS gave the rights to Alan Wake back. So it's possible we're gonna see a sequel.

However, I don't think we will.
Remedy always had the rights to Alan Wake the IP. The only thing Remedy didn't have was the publishing rights for AW1 and American Nightmare. So in theory they could have made Alan Wake 2 any time they wanted.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Let's not count Sony out just yet. They've been helping funding projects that stay exclusive for like 6 months before moving to other platforms and are about to release previously exclusive 1st party titles on PC as well. Who knows.
But it's probably not them.

Did Sony do that? I mean I know about Death Stranding and Horizon ZD but did it ever happen that a few months later a game they funded also come to Xbox? I don't recall many, if any.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't aware they had made that kind of deal with 505, but wouldn't that just apply to the first Control? Remedy owns the IP, after all.

Does 505 have first right of refusal on the sequels or something?
Seems like that is the case:
Just the publishing rights. If 505 passed on the idea of doing a sequel, then it used up its right of first refusal and Remedy became free to shop the game around. But I strongly doubt that's what happened.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I love Remedy games but they are not system sellers. I doubt Sony or MS are interested in locking a game down for their platforms so this has to be a multi publisher.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Did Sony do that? I mean I know about Death Stranding and Horizon ZD but did it ever happen that a few months later a game they funded also come to Xbox? I don't recall many, if any.

Not that I recall. I don't see any way this is Sony as the article specifically says next generation consoles. Sony isn't releasing any game they're funding on Xbox.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Unnanounced GAMES, not "unnanounced IP" :)

Sure, but it's a strange thing to mention if Remedy already owns the IP.

So it can be Max Payne.

That'd be contingent upon Take-Two having agreed to sell it, which seems highly unlikely. Mega-publishers generally prefer to sit on dormant IPs, even if they've been gathering dust for several years+ a la Max Payne. Acti still owns Heretic and Hexen, for example, even though it hasn't done anything with either IP since the release of Heretic II in 1998.

Last edited:

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Really fucking hope its not cinematic sci fi shit AGAIN. If so then iam so done with them as a huge remedy fan in the past.

Oct 27, 2017
Does not say it will release on booth day1, Sony made the same deal with Death Stranding (PC Port 6 months later), why else would they not be able tho tell who the Pub is? Dont know about IP rights regarding DS.

Imo its either MS or Sony. Wouldn't every other Pub want positive news right now for their shareholders (the ones that can afford AAA )?

Sony doesn't fund games where they don't own the IP, with very few exceptions. Sony owns Death Stranding and if Kojima could not negotiate owning the DS IP then there's no way Remedy will be in the position to sign a deal with Sony but hold onto the IP themselves.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Is Epic considered a major publisher now? They said a few months ago they had started funding games developments.

Oct 26, 2017
EA hasn't published a major third-party game since EA Partners was killed off. It did jump back on the third-party publishing horse with EA Originals, but it "exists to deliver unique and memorable gaming experiences to our players, from the best independent studios", to quote the website. A AAA game from a publicly-traded company doesn't fit that bill.

In my opinion, 2K/Private Division is the safest guess, but Deep Silver/Nordic do have the means to publish a AAA project if those are waters they'd like to dip their toes into.

It can also be Warner Bros easily.

They signed Back 4 Blood, IOI new IP and they also have Hitman 3 under their banner.