• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

For its first half-year period of 2019, Remedy Entertainment Plc records approximately 2.5 million euros of royalties from previously released games as one-time income. The royalties are paid to Remedy during the second half-year period of 2019. In relation to this, the publishing rights of Alan Wake games are reverted to Remedy.

Remedy still making money. Maybe we'll get that Alan Wake sequel now that Microsoft isn't there to stop them?

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Yay! This looks like a Destiny situation, happy to see Remedy getting their IP!

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is fantastic news for those of us who have been hoping to see Alan Wake come back. Throw that first game on PlayStation 4 and make a sequel now please.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Yay! This looks like a Destiny situation, happy to see Remedy getting their IP!

Doesn't look like that at all to be honest, since they got royalties of 2.5m as a one-time payment, too. They didn't pay for this, they got the rights AND got 2.5 million dollars.

My bet would be that their contract said something about the rights to the franchise reverting back to the developers if Microsoft doesn't do anything with it for 10 years.

Jasper

Mar 21, 2018
Netherlands
I might be in the minority here, but I think Alan Wake was great as a one-off. I'd prefer to see Remedy keep tackling original stories in new IPs without having the expectations attached to a franchise.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd imagine they'd be taking it back only if they had intentions with the franchise. Not that this necessarily means Alan Wake 2, could even be a remaster or something. The first game was brilliant for its time even though it's been heavily dialed back from the original concepts, still it's impressive all around. American Nightmare was very disappointing so hopefully they only go back to this IP if they have serious intentions with it, not half-assed stuff like that.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Looks like the very end of the relationship with Microsoft with all loose strings taken care of.

I only wish it were Max Payne and not Alan Wake. I'd do anything for a new Remedy-developed Max Payne.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very cool. There really was no reason for MS to hold onto the franchise since they weren't going to fund a sequel anyway. Hopefully this means that we get a proper followup through other means.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Alan Wake Remastered coming to PS4 and Alan Wake 2 bankrolled by Sony for PS5 (although depending how good Control does).

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I don't think Microsoft was ever stopping them from making sequels, I seem to remember remedy saying that they was kind of left to do what they want but they wanted to kept wanting to make new ip's.

They are a creative studio usless they can get the same kind of budget and creative ideas for Alan Wake 2 I would rather just see remasters then a sequel.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn the gates have been opened for inevitable and eternal Alan Wake 2 rumors now. Every E3.
I would love to play a remastered version though.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Not necessary to make a sequel to such a bomb of a game but it would be welcomed. Just don't make it an expensive game. Hell it doesn't even need to be a 3rd person game either

OP
OP
Hamster Plugin
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you do such a move unless you have intentions of making a sequel?
I think that the Alan Wake Microsoft contract was timed in some way so this wasn't necessarily a "move". This news is from an investor press release to notify investors about the rights acquisition. Doesn't really mean that there will be a port or sequel, but we can now hope for one.

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland
Just in time for them to tie the franchise with the upcoming Control!
A recent gameplay video mentions has the main Protagonist mention a place called "Ordinary"

One of the few hints Remedy has given out for Alan Wake 2 is the phrase
It will happen again, in another town, a town called Ordinary.
It was hidden in a backmasked message, and said town is repeatedly mentioned on an in-universe blog created by Sam Lake himself.