• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Via Jez Corden at Windows Central

https://www.windowscentral.com/reme...an-wake-sequels?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Remedy CEO Tero Virtala implied in the interview how the studio had intended to create a long-term franchise with both Quantum Break and Alan Wake, working hard to flesh out the characters, their backstories, and the worlds attached to them. The way Quantum Break is littered with easter eggs that call back to Alan Wake speaks to that fact. Virtala notes that Microsoft doesn't want to take either franchise "further."

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Alan Wake 2? No sequel to the best game on the Xbox 360?

giphy.gif

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
We also discussed it a bit in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/gi-biz-how-remedy-is-taking-control-of-its-own-destiny.55829
For those wanting to check the original source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-07-16-how-remedy-is-taking-control-of-its-own-destiny

Both games felt lacking for me which is quite sad after i spent full price on them and bought them day-one. I wish them best of luck on Control, but i really feel burned out on Remedy games so i doubt i'll be there day one.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep pretty much. This is why I say screw Microsoft and Phil Spencer. They are so out of touch with what their fans want. Instead here have some more Halo, Gears, and Forza and this bland open world game with Terry Crews. Give me a break..

Nov 8, 2017
It was obviously the case up to this point, I had just hoped there was a chance after their recent course correction that we might be seeing something early next gen that they were putting into production more or less now.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't care less about Alan Wake 2.
And Control looks like a Quantum Break sequel in spirit, so I am fine with that.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
I can understand that QB might not have been as successful as MS wanted it to be, but I thought Alan Wake sold well enough to afford sequel. Any chances Remedy will take IPs back?

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm happier this way. Quantum Break (exc. the TV show shit) was great. I'm glad Control can not be appreciated by more people.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Who owns the Quantum Break IP? Maybe Remedy was looking to create an overarching universe with these IPs? It sounds like both games take place in the same universe.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Nice one Microsoft, of all the IP you decide to not continue, it's the one with a competent studio behind it that managed develop a well-reviewed, million selling game.

Once again, great fucking job.

Out of touch? Quantum Break bombed and Alan Wake wasn't a smash hit, either. Seems like the "fans" spoke with their wallet. Sure, they could give them another go, but it would be a shot in the dark, it's not like everyone is asking for a new Alan Wake.

People loved Alan Wake, and it ended on one of the biggest cliffhangers since Halo 2. Not developing a sequel is criminal.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, Remedy can ask anyone else to finance it if they wanted to make it.

Nice one Microsoft, of all the IP you decide to not continue, it's the one with a competent studio behind it that managed develop a well-reviewed, million selling game.

Once again, great fucking job.

Remedy can do it with someone else.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Yep pretty much. This is why I say screw Microsoft and Phil Spencer. They are so out of touch with what their fans want. Instead here have some more Halo, Gears, and Forza and this bland open world game with Terry Crews. Give me a break..

Out of touch? Quantum Break bombed and Alan Wake wasn't a smash hit, either. Seems like the "fans" spoke with their wallet. Sure, they could give them another go, but it would be a shot in the dark, it's not like everyone is asking for a new Alan Wake.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah... plus again for the 1000th time. Remedy OWNS the Alan Wake IP. They can make a game if they wanted to make it I guess.

Lol, how? Developing AW is not cheap, it's a AAA title. If MS isn't backing them, then who will? Keep in mind MS still has publishing rights so it would have to remain exclusive to Xbox. What 3rd party publisher is going to sink 100 million dollars into a single-player game, exclusive to one system, that doesn't have the support of the exclusive system manufacturer?

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Wasn't Alan Wake successful? You would think they would try and make games that the Xbox fanbase want. This seems to be an easy one.

NeoKnight

Oct 28, 2017
Basically cause MS is interested in online games and games as a service mostly. It helps them sell and justify their Xbox Live subscription and GaaS just tend to be more profit heavy when analized % wise and over time.

I dislike this type of thinking, but its were every publisher is going. I loved both Alan Wake and Quantum, but what publisher would invest in making them knowing a random GaaS game may almost guaranteea better return on investment. Sadly, its the way the industry is, and we consumers have driven it that way by not buying single player games not made by Sony.

Looking forward to Remedy's Control, and will def buy it day one.

Oct 25, 2017
Do they need Microsoft for Alan Wake 2, though? Just go with whoever is willing to fund it. I don't need it to be an insanely high budget title, AA would be good enough. Just give me Alan Wake. :(

Focus Home or THQ Nordic, please save us.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Alan Wake sold loads of it's copies for literally $2.00, it was not a hit and took ages to develop as well.

They practically gave the game away to try to gain hype for that mini sequel they did which bombed.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
MS. Remedy owns the AW IP.

MS owns QB, Remedy owns AW.

Okay, thanks. So again, if they wanted to create an overarching universe with both titles, they would need Microsoft for that since MS owns the IP for Quantum Break. I haven't played QB but the quote in the first thread states there are easter eggs in QB alluding to it being in the same universe as Alan Wake.

All Remedy games universes are interveined :)

QB<>Alan Wake<>Max Payne

No way! I haven't heard that Max Payne is in the same universe. Are there easter eggs to be found in Alan Wake or Max Payne?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Lol, how? Developing AW is not cheap, it's a AAA title. If MS isn't backing them, then who will? Keep in mind MS still has publishing rights so it would have to remain exclusive to Xbox. What 3rd party publisher is going to sink 100 million dollars into a single-player game, exclusive to one system, that doesn't have the support of the exclusive system manufacturer?
Who is is backing Control, then?

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Need Alan Wake 2.

I guess there's still a possibility after Control? Glad they're doing a multi-platform release.

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018
Unless they can cram in online multiplayer or mtx MS ain't interested.

They haven't understood that sometimes you gotta bite the bullet for prestige's sake. Like the Last Guardian.