• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
investors.remedygames.com

Remedy Entertainment Plc: Remedy Entertainment signs a global development, license and distribution agreement with Tencent for the co-operative multiplayer game codenamed Vanguard - Remedy Investors

Remedy Entertainment Plc | Inside information 13.20 p.m. (EET) 28 December 2021 Remedy Entertainment signs […]
Remedy Entertainment signs a global development, license and distribution agreement with Tencent for the co-operative multiplayer game codenamed Vanguard

The game codenamed Vanguard ("the game"), Remedy's original intellectual property, is a free-to-play, co-operative PvE shooter that combines Remedy's narrative expertise and action gameplay into an immersive multiplayer experience. The game is developed with the Unreal Engine for PC and console platforms. Remedy will develop and publish the game worldwide, excluding selected Asian markets, where Tencent will localize and publish the game.
The game's development is currently in the proof-of-concept phase. Its development budget up to the end of the first year of live operations will be in the range of a typical Remedy AAA game budget. This development will be co-financed by Remedy and Tencent. In addition, Tencent will localize the game for the selected Asian markets and cover the related localization costs.

Remedy and Tencent will be responsible for their own publishing and game operating costs in their respective territories while sharing a portion of revenue to the other party after the recoupment of the development costs.

As part of the agreement, Remedy has also licensed Tencent worldwide rights to develop and publish a mobile version of the game. Tencent will cover the costs for developing and publishing the mobile version. The parties have agreed on a separate revenue sharing scheme for the mobile version.
"Vanguard marks Remedy's first entry into Games-as-a-Service business model, executed by our top tier team of free-to-play experts. We are building something new and exciting for co-operative multiplayer space, on top of Remedy's strengths. Expanding our capabilities to take on publishing responsibilities is the next step in the development of our company. We are excited for this long-term partnership with Tencent and with confidence can say that it is an excellent fit in supporting Vanguard's ambitious plans. Vanguard is a global opportunity, and Tencent can support Remedy internationally, and lead the operations in Asia and the mobile markets." Tero Virtala, CEO of Remedy Entertainment.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As part of the agreement, Remedy has also licensed Tencent worldwide rights to develop and publish a mobile version of the game. Tencent will cover the costs for developing and publishing the mobile version.

This is the most important part to me - if Tencent is developing the mobile version instead of Remedy it's gonna be not so good. Hopefully this ends up as Tencent footing the bill and Remedy doing the actual development.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Well, there's the control MP game

No, that's another one.

Vanguard (Tencent)
Control 2 (505 Games)
Control MP project (505 Games)
Alan Wake 2 (Epic Games Publishing)

Its development budget up to the end of the first year of live operations will be in the range of a typical Remedy AAA game budget

Around €30-ish million

if Tencent is developing the mobile version instead of Remedy it's gonna be not so good

Absolutely false, PUBG Mobile and COD Mobile are excellent.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
In my head, Remedy and multiplayer go together like ice cream and motor oil, but it makes more sense seeing that it's a narrative-driven experience.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I truly wonder how solid investments are when it's based on proof-of-concept. Obviously Remedy has history with successfully developing games, but none of them have been heavy hitters despite their cult followings. It just feels so much like a "well we own you so may as well open our wallet" situation that I truly wonder what this will turn out to be.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Third person shooting MP from Remedy? Sounds awesome.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Adding Crossfire to the list they are currently working on five projects at once?
I am getting Platinum Games vibes here.

Yes. They were actually working on six games at once up until just recently when the Alan Wake remaster was released. Keep in mind though that most of these games are far away and are being worked on by small skeleton crews until full development kicks in.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Won't even watch a trailer for this, much less play it. Fuck multiplayer-only games. Remedy's better than this.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
header_95_vanguard_saga_of_heroes.jpg

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I really hope this team doesnt end up pulling a Telltale games.

They seem to be doing the most and haven't had this much on their plate before.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Adding Crossfire to the list they are currently working on five projects at once?
I am getting Platinum Games vibes here.

Considering their output over the past 5 years I'm a bit worried about them taking on all these projects, as I doubt they have the bandwidth to work in them all concurrently. It's like what, 5 games at once from a studio that was putting out a single game every 3-5 years.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
If this is the cost to get Alan Wake 2, that's ok. But the world does not need co-op multiplayer shooter #9382347.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any reason to use UE4 with games starting development after UE5 is out?

Well obviously, if they aim for cross-gen to maximize profits, they can still use UE4. The description mentioned consoles and not next-gen consoles and even if they use UE5 for all platforms, if ot gonna be very limited like in Fortnite which considers all weak-ass platforms, so they better not try and invest in UE5 then because it will be not worth that way.

Hell even some next-gen only games are still UE4 like Suicide Squad and Destroy All Humans 2 and others and I doubt they gonna shift to UE5 any time soon due to some contracts with Epic which happened before where WB games like Batman and MK games did stick to UE3 for the entire gen due to that, which are very known cases.

Last edited:

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Won't even watch a trailer for this, much less play it. Fuck multiplayer-only games. Remedy's better than this.
I mean I am a huge Remedy fan and would rather that they kept making single player games, but you can't dispute the fact that their games have not fucking sold over the years. So they are doing just what the market seems to indicate to them. At the very least they are also doing single player games, unlike some other studios (* cough Rocksteady cough *)

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck me. Get to fuck Tencent. It's gunna be the same thing that happened to Hollywood, tripping over themselves to appease the Chinese audiences.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
So many projects at the same time it feels weird for Remedy. Hopefully the final product ends up being good.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remedy had such a crazy turnaround, on the verge, could barely get a deal, project to project then boom, can't hold all these projects.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I'm always happy to see studios like Remedy get work, (it seems they're doing a lot of work though, hope not too much too fast) but this is nothing I have any interest in at the moment, and probably not when it arrives in like 2024.

CrossFireX has a whole bland brand going on, but looks potentially lively and satisfying in regards to action. But that's only on Xbox for some reason.

Alan Wake 2 is more exciting. Partly because I'll be able to play it. I wasn't hugely into Alan Wake, but it was pretty good, and it's interesting that they're saying they'll take the sequel into a more survival/horror direction, which indicates that it's something they have creative drive for. So I'm hopeful.

But what I'd really like to see is a spiritual sequel to the action extravaganza of Max Payne. Feels like it's been a while since there was a good John Woo shooter. Hopefully one of the Epic games will be something along those lines. The Matrix would've been a good fit, but it was not to be for some unfortunate reason.

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021
Important reminder that Tencent is a horrible company who makes propaganda for the CCP and who, according to Human Rights Watch, is actively helping the CCP in the suppression of its people (both in China and abroad) and the violation of human rights.

Something to keep in mind when deciding whether you want to support these kinds of endeavours and whether it's really a good thing for Remedy to "get that cheddar".

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Why are people complaining about an MP game when they are also making Alan Wake 2 and Control 2? Two games not enough for you?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Important reminder that Tencent is a horrible company who makes propaganda for the CCP and who, according to Human Rights Watch, is actively helping the CCP in the suppression of its people (both in China and abroad) and the violation of human rights.

Something to keep in mind when deciding whether you want to support these kinds of endeavours and whether it's really a good thing for Remedy to "get that cheddar".
Yeah, but it's pretty difficult to avoid Tencent these days sadly. For example, Epic is already publishing Alan Wake 2... and Tencent owns 40% of Epic.

But agree it's still good to keep highlighting these things so people are aware.

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
How big is Remedy? They're working on a lot of games at the same time.

Never mind, I see now that it is in the press release. Still seems like they've announced a lot of projects one after another.

Apr 24, 2018
Indifferent towards this, as long as it doesn't delay Alan Wake 2 out of 2023. Control 2 as well, but that's likely not coming for several more years...