• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I was playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and I spotted a spirit in the Spirit Board based on one of the main characters from Takt of Magic from Taito. I was like "huh, I forgot this even existed!".

Well Nintendo sadly has as well besides the spirit nod. This game alongside some others sort of defined Nintendo's REALLY neat but brief trend on working with 3rd-parties in Japan on all new Nintendo-owned IPs.

Examples from the top of my head:

Flingsmash by Artoon
Takt of Magic by Taito
Zangeki no REGINLEIV by Sandlot
The Last Story by Mistwalker
Line Attack Heroes by Grezzo

There was also the sadly canned Cosmic Walker by Gaia, formed by the creator of Shin Megami Tensei. Gaia themselves shutdown not long after as well, so there's little hope of it ever resurfacing.

And there was that utterly bizarre search engine game by Shift (the OG God Eater team) called And-Kensaku. It's Shift's only Nintendo project to date (God Eater 3 was instead by 1st Studio FYI).

Line Attack Heroes was originally a larger retail release, and was even shown in English at E3 2009 alongside Flingsmash (then known as Span Smasher), but after delays it resurfaced as a 1000 point WiiWare game and never localized. :(

Xenoblade was by Monolithsoft who were bought by Nintendo in May 2007, but apparently the game was pitched by Honne himself in 2006 which predates said buyout (apparently that's why Monolith's name is in the copyright someone said?). But because it's 1st-party it technically doesn't fit here, plus it's the only one to get follow-ups.

We still see a LITTLE of this, like with Astral Chain (and Ever Oasis on 3DS), but that's kind of it. Octopath Traveler and Daemon X Machina are owned by their creators, not by Nintendo (though apparently Nintendo having any ownership of the latter may be up for debate).

Who else fondly remembers this era? Sad a few never made it outside Japan. :( I hope we see a second shot at this from Nintendo on Switch with numerous more fresh, fully-backed by Nintendo ideas by notable 3rd-parties.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I remember being mad at how much of it wasn't localized, yeah. Infuriating times, especially as LostMagic has low-key been one of my favorite games ever and I was excited to try Takt. But all those games looked cool...

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
EDIT: Oh wait, you were talking about specifically Nintendo published ones. Sorry.

Oh man there were so many, and so many of them were gems that are now lost to time. It's sad because all these great games came about because of the Wii blue ocean/gold rush, and developers thought they could get a piece of the pie but turns out all the casuals wanted was just a round of bowling and maybe some Mario.

A lot of them just got lost even in their own time amongst the shovelware, which is so sad because the great ones deserve more attention. It's like a PS2 situation, except the lost gems are even more obscure.

Zack and Wiki, Deadly Creatures, Cursed Mountain are some of the greats from the top of my head.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how out of the three "Operation Rainfall" games, Xenoblade was the only one that really went anywhere after being localized, getting both a spirtual successor and a traditional sequel on later Nintendo consoles and even getting a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Whereas The Last Story and Pandora's Tower remained obscure one-offs.

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
bought REGINLEIV because I love Sandlot, it's basically a Norse Mythology Earth Defense Force that used the Motion+

never got a proper fan translation, but there was a patch to at least make the menu's english

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Don't forget Pandora's Tower. This and The Last Story were wild final rides for the console even if they pushed the grey-mud aesthetic a bit too far

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I remember being mad at how much of it wasn't localized, yeah. Infuriating times, especially as LostMagic has low-key been one of my favorite games ever and I was excited to try Takt. But all those games looked cool...
Yes this. It's good we finally got the rainfall trilogy despite NOA's best efforts to stop them but I also wanted Takt, Reginliev, FF2 and Another Code R.

Late DS/Wii era NOA was the worst. I mean they even skipped some Pokémon games, how does that even happen?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I really enjoyed The Last Story. It was fun and engaging and didn't overstay its welcome. Also had a fantastic voice cast for the side characters. I need to someday get a good enough computer to get Dolphin installed so I can play it with better resolution.
Would love a remaster. I think it would hold up still.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hero of Legend I have never been more disappointed in you than I am now.
No Pandora's Tower mention? The best game from Operation Rainfall?

giphy.gif

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
bought REGINLEIV because I love Sandlot, it's basically a Norse Mythology Earth Defense Force that used the Motion+

never got a proper fan translation, but there was a patch to at least make the menu's english
that sounds wicked.

I'm playing Pandora's Tower rn and as far as the Operation Rainfall games go, I think this is the one that fell off the radar the most. It's a very strange game that in terms of tone is very similar to Nier so far. I'm kind of digging it but the pointer controls can be a little frustrating and the menus are too small to read without squinting. I'm sure it looks and plays great on Dolphin but hey, if I bought a physical copy, I'm gonna play that physical copy.

Imo pour one out for the Wii gems that never made it stateside. Disaster: Day of Crisis, Fatal Frames 2 & 4, Another Code: R, and Captain Rainbow are all bucket list games for me. One day I'm gonna play them (maybe not CR if it never gets translated).

Unrelated, but does anyone here know how Crystal Bearers was? It looks really cool, it'll probably be the next Wii title I get since it's like $10 which is a steal even if it's meh

I miss B-tier games in general - Nintendo-owned ones even more so.
Last Story isn't really B-tier, but other than that...

Is Flingsmash and Takt of Magic worth a buy?
I always hear about Flingsmash, but never knew if it would be any good.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
. Unrelated, but does anyone here know how Crystal Bearers was? It looks really cool, it'll probably be the next Wii title I get since it's like $10 which is a steal even if it's meh

It was fun. I never completed it, it didn't hold my attention unfortunately, but the characters were fun, and flinging shit around and combining things was a lot of fun.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Some other ones that we missed out on too: Disaster, Captain Rainbow, Another Code: R... you kind of saw this earlier with ASH: Archaic Sealed Heat or like GiFTPiA on the Cube. Even something like, Homebound? Was it? The Earthbound-looking online(?) Gamecube game?

But yeah, weird time. Pandora's Tower was a super strange game, and of those, The Last Story and Xenoblade probably stick out as the ones with the highest production values, and of course Xenoblade is the only game out of all of this that "made it". But it is an era I miss a lot, weirdly. You sort of see it with Daemon x Machina and Astral Chain, but the weirder the better imo.

Unrelated, but does anyone here know how Crystal Bearers was? It looks really cool, it'll probably be the next Wii title I get since it's like $10 which is a steal even if it's meh

It can be fun, it has a LOT of ideas, but it's sort of a mess. Story is fun though.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NoA during the latter half of the Wii era was absolutely awful. It's pretty remarkable how far they've come.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't Wii era, but I remember thinking it was really weird how Nintendo didn't announce The Wonderful 101 onstage at E3 2012. I think it was announced later in the day on a show or a separate stream?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
My God, the Wii had such hidden gems but for some reason NOA simply refused to bring a lot of them.

Need remasters of Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Reginleiv and Another Code: R like, yesterday.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I have Zangeki no Reginleiv as an import, and own Last Story, which I've only played once and I feel was underrated. Great cast and solid gameplay, even if it was deservedly overshadowed by Xenoblade, having the same US release year.

Zangeki no Reginleiv is a treat too. Earth Defense Force meets swords and sorcery. It's rough, for sure, but easy to understand even without a translation patch and is great zany fun.

Aine

May 27, 2019
I remember the internet (and Nintendo Power) hyping up ASH like it's The Next Big Thing for the DS and then...poof.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Since Pandora's Tower doesn't come up that often I'm going to post about this again. Let me see if I have an earlier post to drag out:

Since I didn't get this one, can I point out that Pandora's Tower put in quite a bit of work into its lore? The game's based entirely in that one tower, but we learn a fair bit about the countries outside. If I recall, Aeron's country is heavily industrialized and dotted with factories, but is also militaristic. There's another country that's good with textiles, and there's another crusader-like state.

A major event in the backstory revolves around the people of Elena's country, who are polytheistic, toying with monotheism. What's interesting is that what we see of this polytheistic religion is actually based off of real-world Chinese alchemy, with their gods matching up to a cross between the five elements and the yin-yang dichotomy. The yin-yang dichotomy was almost definitely picked to tie in with the game's focus on romantic live. The penultimate boss, the Masters of the Blacklight Barbican, is actually a yin-yang. The fact that one is male and one is female also matches up to the associations with yin and yang.

Also Ganbarion made Jump Ultimate Stars, and so has earned my eternal love.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The last story was a charming little game. I really liked it. A sequel would be nice.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I remember NoE localized most of them like a year before the American versions and people were crying like mad lmao.

Good times

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't Wii era, but I remember thinking it was really weird how Nintendo didn't announce The Wonderful 101 onstage at E3 2012. I think it was announced later in the day on a show or a separate stream?
I think it was announced on Spike TV or Game Trailers with Geoff Keighley. Also where the infamous "not the same game, not the same content" came from I believe.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018

What the fuck I never knew LostMagic had a spiritual successor.

I'm now mad with you!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Story felt like it was the basis for something great, but desperately needs a sequel to realize its potential. Like, it's cool that every encounter was really deliberately crafted, but they needed to eventually just give you the room to fuck around with everything you've learned.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
a few of their DS games I would have been all over had they bought them out, Soma Bringer from Monolith Soft and ASH from Mistwalker I was super disappointed they never got localised.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Last Story and Tatsunoko vs Capcom should not be trapped and forgotten on the Wii. It's a travesty.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
FlingSmash is really neat. Kind of feels like pinball on steroids. There's nothing else really like it. Better than I expected given its lukewarm reception. I basically completely forgot about it until now too.

The other one of these games I played was the Last Story which I thought was kinda ass. Cliche story and battle system that did too much on its own, with level design weirdly inspired by corridor shooters. Extremely disappointing too since I loved MistWalker's other games.

Never played the others. I do kind of miss this sort of thing but I think what we have now with stuff like Astral Chain is mostly enough.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Wii gen was so good when it came to fresh new ideas from Japanese studios. I kind of wish japanese devs went crazy like they did in that gen.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
I still remember that person from Marvelous who had close ties with Mistwalker saying that they and maybe Mistwalker were really looking into Wii U development... like that ever happened. :(

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, these were all pretty mediocre games that are only remembered at all because of Nintendo's publishing and exclusivity (and in some cases being Japan only). The Last Story was the best of the bunch by far, but still came off as too experimental and a far weaker echo of all of Sakaguchi's prior work. The rest are almost not even worth talking about.

Platinum games are far more notable and better constructed, and I'm glad Astral Chain seems to be getting buzz that W101 did not.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
NoA went super conservative from 2008-2011. It felt like the success of the Wii made them think that they were invulnerable and could get away with not even trying to cultivate other markets

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Last Story is one of the few JRPGs I've completed that I remember nothing about, just a white tiger and the fact you could make all the anime men shirtless. So you know, the essentials.

It was good? I think? Just compared to Xenoblade I can see why it was forgotten.

I'd like Nintendo to fund similar things these days, though they kinda do with the likes of Go Vacation.