• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
In anticipation of Poké Ball Plus, Famitsu published an article on past dedicated Pokémon devices the other day, and it really helps you appreciate how far we've come. Pocket Pikachu was essentially a Nintendo digital pet device akin to Tamagotchi, first released in 1998 in Japan.

rJyaogW.gif

First one was pretty simple and self-contained, but its successor actually had IR communication features that allowed it to interact with Pokémon GSC via Mystery Gift, as well as other Pocket Pikachu Color devices. Interestingly, Nintendo's Pocket platform wasn't restrained to Pokémon. There was one more device based on Hello Kitty.

Obviously, more complex self-contained devices have released since, like PokéWalker, which improved and expanded the Pocket Pikachu concept, and now Pokémon GO with its accompanying devices. Not even getting into Pokémon mini, which is a beast of its own. But I think there's something special about the Pocket devices. They released on a very primitive stage of the franchise's history but had a profound influence on it that wouldn't fully develop until years later.

It would have be fun to see those (and even Hello Kitty) emulated on 3DS as they are technically Nintendo portables not unlike Game & Watch. Given 3DS's pedometer and the accompanying VC games which at least the Color version interacted with, it was a good opportunity that we're probably not gonna get again. Still, who knows.

Did you have those back in the day?

Last edited:

Bamboo

Oct 25, 2017
Never had one, but a friend did. I love the form factor of these, like two miniature egg-shaped gameboys. Now I'm tempted to try and hunt down the color Pikachu - the translucent case is just so appealing!

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I remember taking advantage of how I could never just keep my leg still to get "steps" in for it while just sitting and working on stuff. The little clacking it made became background white noise.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget that it was practically immortalized thanks to Animal Crossing on the GameCube

hqdefault.jpg

(Pocket Camp made it incredibly hard to google image search)

But yeah it was a very cute idea. The Pokémon Mini was wild too and probably even more obscure at this point, but I still have my Smoochum Purple one.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Yes! I had both growing up and I loved them. I've always had this weird obsessions with the miniaturization of tech and have a mini Gameboy that let me get money and items for my Gold and Silver was the COOLEST idea back then.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I miss mini peripherals like this. I though the Pokeball controller would be a glorious return to this type of stuff but it's too expensive for what it does.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I had the GS one. Never got that into it.

Emulating it on 3DS is a cool idea but it's a pipe dream considering this is the company that passed up putting Virtual Boy games on the 3DS.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
A bit off-topic, but there was also this Japan-only Pokémon toy made by Nintendo called "Pokémotion":

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/p_motion/index.html

JRtwXJVm.jpg

P2KKLOsm.jpg

It's store display was later used to test the Wii Motion Plus during development:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/wiimotionplus/0/2

Wakitani: That's right. So at that point we looked to investigate further by trying to reproduce this temporary disconnection by twisting and turning the Wii MotionPlus accessory. But it wasn't something we could do by only twisting it slightly.​

Takamoto: Without shaking the Wii Remote tens of thousands of times, this temporary disconnection wouldn't reoccur.​

Iwata: But you weren't really going to shake it thousands of times to test this, were you? (laughs)​

Takamoto: Well, at the start I gave it a go, but after a while my hand got so weary that I had a hard time holding it.​

Wakitani: And that's when the gloves went on.

Iwata: You really went that far? (laughs)

Wakitani: But doing it that way would have been far too time-consuming. So it was at that point that we decided to borrow storefront display models for Pokémotion4. (laughter)

4. Released by the Pokémon Company in Japan in August 2003, Pokémotion was a
"communication tool" shaped like a glow stick. By utilising flashing LEDs, it left images
on the eye allowing users to see various Pokémon and words when it was waved rapidly.

Takamoto: That's the shore display where the Pokémotion is swung like a metronome.

Iwata: Ah yes, I remember that.

Wakitani: We scraped together all the models we could, from our Okayama office and various departments within the company, and then used them to carry out tests.​

8uXwC1C.jpg

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember this, we had one but lost it during one of the moves when I was younger.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget that it was practically immortalized thanks to Animal Crossing on the GameCube

hqdefault.jpg

But yeah it was a very cute idea. The Pokémon Mini was wild too and probably even more obscure at this point, but I still have my Smoochum Purple one.
Oh yes, I remember this. Sometimes I had to go on a wild goose chase to get this back in AC. I want to know why these animals were lending something that wasn't theirs to other animals? Surely this is against lending etiquette?

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember I got one as a kid and ended up getting bored with it. I was expecting it to be like a Tamagotchi, with taking care of Pikachu and stuff, but it wasn't. It was more of an exercise toy, if I remember correctly.

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

hqdefault.jpg

I have never seen anyone give me a pocket pikachu in GCN Animal Crossing....

HiroTSK5

One Winged Slayer
Nov 4, 2017
I just found my PokeWalker from Heartgold yesterday, put a new battery in it and apparently 8 years later my Jirachi is still chilling waiting to come home.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
A bit off-topic, but there was also this Japan-only Pokémon toy made by Nintendo called "Pokémotion":

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/p_motion/index.html

JRtwXJVm.jpg

P2KKLOsm.jpg

It's store display was later used to test the Wii Motion Plus during development:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/wiimotionplus/0/2

Wakitani: That's right. So at that point we looked to investigate further by trying to reproduce this temporary disconnection by twisting and turning the Wii MotionPlus accessory. But it wasn't something we could do by only twisting it slightly.​

Takamoto: Without shaking the Wii Remote tens of thousands of times, this temporary disconnection wouldn't reoccur.​

Iwata: But you weren't really going to shake it thousands of times to test this, were you? (laughs)​

Takamoto: Well, at the start I gave it a go, but after a while my hand got so weary that I had a hard time holding it.​

Wakitani: And that's when the gloves went on.

Iwata: You really went that far? (laughs)

Wakitani: But doing it that way would have been far too time-consuming. So it was at that point that we decided to borrow storefront display models for Pokémotion4. (laughter)

4. Released by the Pokémon Company in Japan in August 2003, Pokémotion was a
"communication tool" shaped like a glow stick. By utilising flashing LEDs, it left images
on the eye allowing users to see various Pokémon and words when it was waved rapidly.

Takamoto: That's the shore display where the Pokémotion is swung like a metronome.

Iwata: Ah yes, I remember that.

Wakitani: We scraped together all the models we could, from our Okayama office and various departments within the company, and then used them to carry out tests.​

8uXwC1C.jpg

Never seen this before. Always interesting to see early Hoenn era merch.

Oct 26, 2017

hqdefault.jpg

pokemonpikachup2ei9.png

Here's the icon which sadly no-one's bother to rip in any of the Resource sites.

Found it here BTW (at 14:23):

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
My friend had one of the yellow ones. I had a Digimon though, which was pretty dope.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still have mine sitting in a drawer, with my old Pokedex, Tamagachi, Digimon, and Digivice.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
I have one lying around somewhere. I think I imported it with Gold when I was 11/12 years old. Never really played with it, mind.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I had the first one when I was a kid. I remember it being very underwhelming compared to similar products, like the Digimon one. The Digimon were able to evolve and even cooler, poop all over the screen.

Nov 1, 2017

hqdefault.jpg

Animal Crossing was the first thing that popped in my head when I read that title! Had to check to see if I wasn't the only one

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017

hqdefault.jpg
I know and remember this device solely from its inclusion in the original Animal Crossing. I was like, what on earth is a Pokémon Pikachu, and why do all the animals keep losing theirs. Lol.

Iirc, every game on the Pokemon Mini game is playable in Pokemon Channel for GameCube as an extra.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I had the original one. I remember reading about them on the internet before they came out here, I was so excited at the idea of it that I actually dreamt about it once lmao. I think I was ultimately a little disappointed that there weren't more actual virtual pet elements to it but it was still really cute.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Still have mine. The D-Pad on these was way better than it had any right to be.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I remember having the GS one and being saddened by the fact that I couldn't figure out how to connect it to my copy of Crystal as a kid. It was fun on its own though.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I had the first one... it sucked compared to a Tamagotchi, basically. Needed more to actually do.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I had one of those! Funny story, I gave it to my mom to wear at work to get steps in for me since she was a restaurant manager and on her feet a ton, and came to be nicknamed Pikachu at her work because of it lol.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I remember wanting one but got Pokemon yellow because it looked like a similar concept.
I was greeted with ear destroying low quality voice clips.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
I never got it because the games seemed to be exclusive to Pokemon Center online.